Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO hitting most anticipated game of the year lists 2014 including Forbes, CNN money, MTV

Comments

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    [mod edit]
  • kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by himods
    Originally posted by BadOrb

There aren't empty servers , also he is just stating a fact that SWTOR is a success. Well SWTOR has over 1 million accounts logging in per month so indeed it is a success. As to older ones yeah they are doing well Eve is okay it had about 500 k subbs about 6 months ago and I'm not sure about the others.

And how many servers did TOR shut down after release? A fuckton. 

The claim that TOR was a success is ludicrous, Star Wars is the biggest ip around, and if the rumours of hundreds of millions invested are true, SWTOR is without a question one of the biggest failures in gaming history. The moneymen were expecting WoW-like success, not pennies.

So you have the exact figures on how much was spent and how much they are making a month?  I personally think the game is garbage, but all the while it is making money since its transition.  I also do not believe any game company was ever expecting WOW type numbers, the figure I and many others heard was 1million subs.  So if they are getting half of that since transition +MTXs I am sure they are racking in the money they need.

Like others have said, what you call a success from a personal view, gaming view, or whatnot does not equate to whether it is not a financial success.

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Kicksave321

There aren't empty servers , also he is just stating a fact that SWTOR is a success. Well SWTOR has over 1 million accounts logging in per month so indeed it is a success. As to older ones yeah they are doing well Eve is okay it had about 500 k subbs about 6 months ago and I'm not sure about the others.

The claim that TOR was a success is ludicrous, Star Wars is the biggest ip around, and if the rumours of hundreds of millions invested are true, SWTOR is without a question one of the biggest failures in gaming history. The moneymen were expecting WoW-like success, not pennies.

[mod edit]

I'm instrested in this topic, but unless one of you point to links or FACTS we can all look at, I'm afraid no one is going to know which one of you is right.   Take time before posting to gather some data for people, its the first step in being creditworthy and having a good debate.  Basic Research, and presentation, two of the most important things in a debate.

Too many people post without putting meat into their posts, Idk about you, but I love a good post with a lot of meat and potatoes in it. It makes it more enjoyable to read that way.

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by fistorm

[mod edit]  

I'm instrested in this topic, but unless one of you point to links or FACTS we can all look at, I'm afraid no one is going to know which one of you is right.   Take time before posting to gather some data for people, its the first step in being creditworthy and having a good debate.  Basic Research, and presentation, two of the most important things in a debate.

Too many people post without putting meat into their posts, Idk about you, but I love a good post with a lot of meat and potatoes in it. It makes it more enjoyable to read that way.

I agree with you... http://i.massively.joystiq.com/2013/11/20/ea-holds-onto-star-wars-games-license-for-10-years-says-swtor-i/
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Hmm making a profit is in your definition the biggest failure in gaming?  

Well  id hate to see you be in charge of any type of business if that is your mental capacity.

Nice try hating on a video game you clearly know nothing about.  

I agree with you... http://i.massively.joystiq.com/2013/11/20/ea-holds-onto-star-wars-games-license-for-10-years-says-swtor-i/

EAs quarterly reports are also posted online so anyone can go look them up and ( assuming they actually list swtor this time ) can see how much it makes.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/11/20/ea-holds-onto-star-wars-games-license-for-10-years-says-swtor-i/

Think you meant.  Very nice.  Now that makes more sense.  But while SWTOR had high anticipation,  I think it was made one year too soon,  graphics improved and set a new set of anticipations. Like the CEO points out in the article its due for a reboot, and I'm guessing its to match ESO level of graphic quality to compete still.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by Naowut
    Every mmo in the history of mmos is the most anticipated mmo when it's about to release.

This.

The lists mean as much as seeing "the #1 comedy movie in America" in a commercial, yeah its also the only new comedy in America at the time so it should be #1..........

With EQ next and landmark along with Shroud of the Avatar coming in 2015, TESO is the only well known IP being released as an MMO this year. Hell, SWTOR was #1, so was AoC and Neverwinter. GREAT GAMES RIGHT!!!!!!!!

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

Originally posted by DamonVile

EAs quarterly reports are also posted online so anyone can go look them up and ( assuming they actually list swtor this time ) can see how much it makes.

SWTOR is not mentioned once in their newest quarterly report and the last time it was mentioned it said that FIFA made more money than SWTOR with DLCs and extra content.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Hey guys, NDA still in effect, so please hold off a bit on discussing or giving opinions on the game, positive or negative.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by JJ82
    Originally posted by DamonVile

SWTOR is not mentioned once in their newest quarterly report and the last time it was mentioned it said that FIFA made more money than SWTOR with DLCs and extra content.

O right I must have been mistaken then , errr .....

You can find all of EA's financial information here.

http://investor.ea.com/financials.cfm

This is probably something you're more interested in 

http://files.shareholder.com/downloa...4_-_Script.pdf

"Turning to our Q2 results, EA’s non-GAAP net revenue was $1.04 billion, which was above 
    our guidance and 4% lower than last year. The quarter’s revenue was driven by our sports titles 
    and continued strength in our catalog offerings, like FIFA 13, SimCity, Star Wars: The Old 
    Republic and Battlefield 3"

"First, extra content and free-to-play contributed $127 million, up 11% over the prior year, led 
    by continued growth in FIFA Ultimate Team, FIFA Online 3, and Star Wars: The Old 
    Republic." 

"And fourth, subscriptions, advertising, and other digital revenue contributed $62 million, 
    down 16% over the same period last year. In the previous year, Star Wars: The Old 
    Republic was a subscription-only based MMO. This year, some of the revenue was 
    recognized in the free-to-play category as we expanded this title to be both a subscription 
    and free-to-play game. "

As of the other requested meat on the bone , I'm guessing about the over 1 million accounts logging in per month then here you are.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1396514-SWTOR-has-10million-Casual-Players

I did say I would never post that link again but for the sake of this thread I did .

Just to note tiger woods has been dropped from EA , so that didn't even get a mention this time round :).

So back to TESO all they have to do is plan for a mass exodus before it happens , simple.

Cheers ,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

"Turning to our Q2 results, EA’s non-GAAP net revenue was $1.04 billion, which was above 
    our guidance and 4% lower than last year. The quarter’s revenue was driven by our sports titles 
    and continued strength in our catalog offerings, like FIFA 13, SimCity, Star Wars: The Old 

"First, extra content and free-to-play contributed $127 million, up 11% over the prior year, led 
    by continued growth in FIFA Ultimate Team, FIFA Online 3, and Star Wars: The Old 
    Republic." 

"And fourth, subscriptions, advertising, and other digital revenue contributed $62 million, 
    down 16% over the same period last year. In the previous year, Star Wars: The Old 
    recognized in the free-to-play category as we expanded this title to be both a subscription 
    and free-to-play game. "

Why are you posting me links to their financial reports and then posting the same information I gave only in detail?!? Clearly I know about it, hell I posted it before on the site. The first quote gives no details on SWTOR, its lumped in with their other titles and I already pointed out that FIFA made most of its DLC and updated content revenue. Shown clearly by their stating that subscription AND digital revenue was DOWN 16% over the year AND ALSO THAT THEY ARE INCLUDING F2P revenue in with that.

What is it going to take to wake people up to SWTOR? DIGITAL REVENUE OF SUBSCRIPTIONS WITH F2P CONTENT IS DOWN 16% but EXTRA CONTENT + F2P is up 11%.

This is how EA plays with numbers so they can give the appearance of things being OK with something. The only way they could make it so it looks like SWTOR is doing ok is to place it with the extra content category created by their games like FIFA which is a massive success.

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

Yeesh as always forums are filled with both egotistical people or those with insane bars to measure whether something is not a failure. From what I'm getting some of you believe that due to your lack of interest or outright hatred of the game, anything saying that people are anticipating the game must be a lie since your opinion is "clearly superior" and any others are obviously paying off reviewers. I mean that takes a lot of arrogance to assume as such.

Also question, what measure is a success to you? It seems 1 million is a failure, so is it 2 million, 5? Does it have to beat WoW at its peak before its not a flop? Or is it that it has to be your idealized MMO before its not a failure piece of trash?

The problem I see with ESO is that there will be people, very VOCAL people that will make damn sure everyone on the server/forums/etc that think the game is the biggest piece of garbage made in the history of man and anyone that likes it is wrong or are a cancer to the gaming community. The reason being, they will have expectations that aren't what the game ever said it was going to have, or just wouldn't function in an MMO.

As far as I know ESO more or less has zones. I imagine you could travel from one zone to another without finishing the quest hubs, though it will likely result in death. This right here will lead to zone chat being spammed with stop having fun right NOW guys! Because people are going to want the game to be like the other Elder Scrolls games, with one overland zone, and probably expecting to seamlessly travel to cities and dungeons as well without zoning. Heck I think that would have been pretty cool if they had done that, and it might have served them better. It might have been served better if it had large expanses of zone purely for exploring and possibly building, creating more of a sandbox feel.

Issue is, the same people that spammed the zone about it being themepark trash will still spam the chat with not being able to travel anywhere because there are artificial walls through high level mobs killing them. Or that there are factions, or measures preventing them from ganking lowbies in other faction areas or their own faction.

As for if I think the game will be a success. If we go by the bar set by many, that it has to surpass WoW, then no, it will be an "utter failure". If we go by an actual fair measure of success, like a stable population of players, with a decent population, like 500k, I think it is possible depending on how PvP is done and what there is to do end game. I say 500k since I believe that was EQs peak as far as I know and was in no way a failure. If it can have the quality PvP that DAoC had, it could retain a decent amount of players, though with that alone I dunno if it could hit that amount os stable subscribers. If they have a decent amount of stuff to do aside from PvP, they might be able to retain the PvE crowd as well.

Honestly I think the best bet for any MMO to do decently is try and find entertaining or at least socially entertaining things to do aside from kill stuff, player or NPC. GW2 seemed to try and do that with those bar brawls and such, but honestly they needed to find a way to encourage players to actually interact with the other players more. Maybe have food buffs that take 10-15 minutes to activate while "eating" at an inn or some such, so people might as well talk to each other. Or maybe that wouldn't work but just something to get people talking. Making sure to have all severs have good populations and not having the group up with random players you don't speak a word too you just plow through the dungeon?

I think a few other things might help an MMO feel more alive, though most of those entail removing conveinences such as maps or non instanced dungeons, which have their own downsides(guilds "owning" raids like in old EQ comes to mind). 

Regardless, I can see ESO having the most interest because it has a recognizable name and the videos make the combat seem at least somewhat different. Its likely it won't do as well as it could have and 6 months from now the haters will be here gloating and throwing a few insults here and there, but maybe we can get lucky and it will have something worthwhile, along with other MMOs. I really don't want one big MMO, but several. Kinda hope WildStar, ESO, Archeage, EQ Next and whatever get stable healthy populations.

Republic." 

and free-to-play game. "

Why are you posting me links to their financial reports and then posting the same information I gave only in detail?!? Clearly I know about it, hell I posted it before on the site. The first quote gives no details on SWTOR, its lumped in with their other titles and I already pointed out that FIFA made most of its DLC and updated content revenue. Shown clearly by their stating that subscription AND digital revenue was DOWN 16% over the year AND ALSO THAT THEY ARE INCLUDING F2P revenue in with that.

What is it going to take to wake people up to SWTOR? DIGITAL REVENUE OF SUBSCRIPTIONS WITH F2P CONTENT IS DOWN 16% but EXTRA CONTENT + F2P is up 11%.

This is how EA plays with numbers so they can give the appearance of things being OK with something. The only way they could make it so it looks like SWTOR is doing ok is to place it with the extra content category created by their games like FIFA which is a massive success.

I was posting those links for the OP and others to read and why have you left out your proven wrong two sentences when quoting me ? SWTOR is lumped in with FIFA so yes they are both making money for EA together. You pointed out that SWTOR was not mentioned and that FIFA made more last quarter not the one i linked and maybe calm down and accept you have been proven wrong ? I will re-quote you as you decided to not include how I proved your short post wrong.

" SWTOR is not mentioned once in their newest quarterly report and the last time it was mentioned it said that FIFA made more money than SWTOR with DLCs and extra content. " quote JJ82

So your first point is not true and your second point is not related even though in your shouting reply you said you already said that FIFA made more money this quarter , but they are together . So you turned it around FIFA this quarter or last make up your mind and link to where it says FIFA made more money in Q1 2013.

Sheesh the nerve , well I mean I rattled a nerve. I was only providing links for the OP as it proves things and helps for a good discussion.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.

Anyway back to the TESO discussion. So if Zenimax make sure that they use a unique number or name with numbers for each users account , then that will help with character names , if they have to merge servers down the road ( heaven forbid ). This is their first MMO is it not ? Also don't open 100 servers just because the queue times for the first week are really high , just open a few I say and with the mechanic stated above they should be plain sailing. Obviously with my previously mentioned plan for a possible model change already tested and ready to go. Win Win. IMO.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

• SoulTrapOnSelfSoulTrapOnSelf Member Posts: 190
    Most anticipated because... Skyrim was awesome... Besides, what other MMO we should look forward in 2014 lol
  • Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Skyrim is one open world!!! wow! Its a single player game with a world as big as some of the larger ZONES in eq2. And to go into dungeons/houses etc, you will have to zone, just as any mmorpg with zones. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed playing Skyrim, but I'm not sure it was so incredibly groundbreaking as many people wants to think. Im waiting for EQN since Ive always played around in Norrath since 2000. I tend to have a "side game" for the moments I feel like taking a break from EQ. I was hoping TESO could be it and I still kinda do but I'm just worried about the optimazation and how they have figured out how to balance and actually implent a working version of their "hands on" combat style. I know other games like DF and MO has the similar combat system and those games havent exactly had a smooth run.
    All I'm saying (to all fanbois) is to try n tone down your expectations just a notch. Maybe then you will give the game a fair chance, instead of running into a bug in the toturial, die, ragequit, uninstall and then whine on mmorpg.com
    This WILL NOT be Skyrim and you WILL NOT be THE dragonborn

• SoulTrapOnSelfSoulTrapOnSelf Member Posts: 190
    but there will be Dragon Knights...although I am more inclined to play a Nightblade

I was posting those links for the OP and others to read and why have you left out your proven wrong two sentences when quoting me ? SWTOR is lumped in with FIFA so yes they are both making money for EA together. You pointed out that SWTOR was not mentioned and that FIFA made more last quarter not the one i linked and maybe calm down and accept you have been proven wrong ? I will re-quote you as you decided to not include how I proved your short post wrong.

" SWTOR is not mentioned once in their newest quarterly report and the last time it was mentioned it said that FIFA made more money than SWTOR with DLCs and extra content. " quote JJ82

So your first point is not true and your second point is not related even though in your shouting reply you said you already said that FIFA made more money this quarter , but they are together . So you turned it around FIFA this quarter or last make up your mind and link to where it says FIFA made more money in Q1 2013.

Sheesh the nerve , well I mean I rattled a nerve. I was only providing links for the OP as it proves things and helps for a good discussion.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

You posted those links in direct reply to me with "O right I must have been mistaken then...", so why the need to make it sound like you were giving it to someone else? Are you THAT defensive? Or do you feel the need to try to boost the value of your post THAT much?

1. I gave one sentence, not two. Everything said was correlated. The last time SWTOR is mentioned, is with FIFA.

2. The information you gave, both part of the same part of the quarterly report (hence the reason they start with the words FIRST and FOURTH) prove that SWTOR revenue is DOWN.

3. Learn what context is. My reply which quoted you and Kicksave is part of a conversation talking about how much SWTOR makes. If SWTOR is being listed with other games, you cant see how much SWTOR is making and thus deserves a reply pointing out that THEY HAVENT MENTIONED SWTOR INFORMATION.

So again, SWTOR information wasn't mentioned once in their newest report and the last time anything was given it says that FIFA made more money. which I already pointed out how they said it......read it again and attempt to actually understand.

or do I really need to break it down in more details because my last post was rather simple to figure out.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

You posted those links in direct reply to me with "O right I must have been mistaken then...", so why the need to make it sound like you were giving it to someone else? Are you THAT defensive? Or do you feel the need to try to boost the value of your post THAT much?

1. I gave one sentence, not two. Everything said was correlated. The last time SWTOR is mentioned, is with FIFA.

2. The information you gave, both part of the same part of the quarterly report (hence the reason they start with the words FIRST and FOURTH) prove that SWTOR revenue is DOWN.

3. Learn what context is. My reply which quoted you and Kicksave is part of a conversation talking about how much SWTOR makes. If SWTOR is being listed with other games, you cant see how much SWTOR is making and thus deserves a reply pointing out that THEY HAVENT MENTIONED SWTOR INFORMATION.

So again, SWTOR information wasn't mentioned once in their newest report and the last time anything was given it says that FIFA made more money. which I already pointed out how they said it......read it again and attempt to actually understand.

or do I really need to break it down in more details because my last post was rather simple to figure out.

We had a chance to read both of your views, let the views decide.  Why fight now over something silly as how you guys post your stuff.   If you have personal problems with each other, PRIVATE MESSAGE each other over it.  Try not to turn forums for information into a Barrons Chat

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I was correcting your sentence and yes I noticed your it was one but thought it was too trivial to actually change but yeah you mentioned it how quaint. All I did was prove to you and others that SWTOR was mentioned in the last quarterly report which it is. EA made 1.04 billion with SWTOR included so yes it is making money , you don't really think they would mention the game was it 3 times if it was a product making a bleedin loss now do you ? Please provide a link to FIFA making more money in Q1 2013 , you still haven't. You are saying that SWTOR isn't mentioned again but it's lumped with FIFA.

Let's just say we disagree and move on so as the OP's thread doesn't get closed ? 

Sorry OP , I shall move on I am an adult. People really love to hate EA and SWTOR so funny :) Have a good one :)

Cheers,

BadOrb.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

We had a chance to read both of your views, let the views decide.  Why fight now over something silly as how you guys post your stuff.   If you have personal problems with each other, PRIVATE MESSAGE each other over it.  Try not to turn forums for information into a Barrons Chat

It's just swtor hate. If you try and show it's making money or not failing, you're in for a fight. ESO has some of the same "fans"

I was still typing a post before I read this and you are correct , as I said let's move on. Good Luck with the thread!

Cheers,

BadOrb.

After seeing the results of Lords Poll, I can see now WHY its the most anticipated game of the year.   Atleast 80% are going to buy it or unsure about it.  

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/403072/So-are-we-happy-poll.html

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Ziegler

you know...I look at CNN....Forbes...and fricking MTV? (what does even stand for anymore? Mediocre Teen Vaginas?)....and I think to myself....Self...over the years, how often have you taken any of those as a credible source for anything gaming or internet for that matter.

Self says....NEVAH!!!

Oh..just wanted to be sure....then I go check on the most anticipated games on MMORPG and I noticed....hmm...not even in the top 5 you say? ....well now /churchlady....isnt that special.

Yeah...amazing what advertising dollars can manage.

If you take most anticipated game on MMORPG advice then you must be playing DFUW as it was most anticipated game for like 5-6 months before its buggy and somewhat dismal release. I hear the average sub base is around maybe 1000 these days.

ENd point don't buy into any hype make up your own mind by your own experiences.  

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

After seeing the results of Lords Poll, I can see now WHY its the most anticipated game of the year.   Atleast 80% are going to buy it or unsure about it.  

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/403072/So-are-we-happy-poll.html

Um .. where in the world did you get that 80% from?

As of this post, 42% chose "Yes, I am going to play for sure". 16.5% chose " I don't have enough information to have an opinion.

So again .. how did you get that 80% exactly? First of all, chances are that 16.5% is going to be split in half, those who do decide in the end the game is good enough and those who decide not to play.

If we look at the poll, it looks more to be half and half which is what I would expect it to be. You really need to learn better math, cause I still don't understand how you got 80%. Either that, or maybe you read the poll wrong, in which case then you really need to learn how to read better.

Either that or you are in fact truly delusional as I have stated in a past thread. Seeing things that are not there are we?

Edit: Truth of the matter is, you are probably trolling. In which case ... I can imagine you must be a very immature person.