Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Column] General: Why You Should Give Marvel Heroes Another Look

BillMurphyBillMurphy Managing EditorBerea, OHPosts: 2,377MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

When we gave Marvel Heroes a 5.6 in our review last June, the game most certainly deserved it. In fact, when I first saw MH at a game convention around six months before launch, I thought it looked terrible. I eventually got a chance to play in the beta and the game was definitely rough, but I could see the potential as it improved towards launch. Still, those improvements weren’t enough, and the game launched a hot mess.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Why You Should Give Marvel Heroes Another Look.

http://images.mmorpg.com/images/newsImages/362013/emma_luke_squirrel_1920x1080_t.jpg

«13

Comments

  • syntax42syntax42 Columbus, OHPosts: 1,306Member Uncommon
    I don't know about how other people feel, but I prefer to make my character instead of being handed one.  There is more attachment that way because I can invest in things I'm interested in.  Instead of letting players create their character or at least choose one they liked, the game forced you to pick one of two characters and play with them for a while or pay money for a character.  No thanks.  I'll keep my money and find a game with a better design.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Niagara Falls, NYPosts: 3,437Member Uncommon

    Ya, this game would have been more fun with a create your hero design. As it is, it just feels awkward running around with 20 Wolverines fighting together etc. If they had at least made up some kind of story of clones or robots or something I would have been fine with it lol. Give me something  to cling on to!

    Only plus side was since I played Rocket Racoon I was pretty much always the only one.

    image
  • WolfClawsWolfClaws Arlington, VAPosts: 555Member Uncommon

    While I agree the beta and initial release, the game was buggy as hell.  But free to play, not being required to spend a single penny to get ahead of everyone, it wasn't bad for what it was.

    After like updates 1.6 and 2.1, the game has evolved to the point of being very playable at all levels.  Still 100% free to play and zero pay to win, it is an enjoyable escape for 20 minutes or 2 hours.

    Now that they have like 9 heroes to start the game with (gotta pick one) and one being Human Torch, that is pretty awesome.

    There is still alot of work to do, with balance, but the game is fun to play.

     

    One thing I wish they would include, is a chapter or two of hero specific missions.  Missions designed around the hero with dialog and villains and goals like their comics would have... But I doubt I will ever see that.

  • CaskioCaskio Abilene, TXPosts: 339Member

    I actually started playing this game about 2 months ago.  i am absolutely loving it.  Iron Man being my favorite followed closely by Spider-Man, Hulk, Loki, and Deadpool so far.  I am one of the lucky to get Spider-Man using only 175 splinters.  most of my current heroes are randoms from the splinters box.

    I'm just having a lot of fun with the game.  It's almost like collecting cards again like when I was a kid, but now I'm the one moving the hero.

    "If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

    Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

  • NephaeriusNephaerius Baltimore, MDPosts: 1,539Member Uncommon
    Let's take that game that's been made twice already, marvel ultimate Alliance, and have a bunch of microtransactions this time. Sounds great..... sane yourself the trouble and play Lego marvel heroes it's 100000000x better

    Steam: Neph

  • BarCrowBarCrow Tampa, FLPosts: 2,212Member

       It definitely has improved since launch but it was simply too much "meh" to start. The bar started really low for it to ever get that interesting imo.  Pick your already established Marvel hero. Now run around with dozens/hundreds of clones, hopefully in different costumes.

       It's already hard enough to escape the "everyone is a hero" problems that many MMOs or similarly multiplayer games face..then to actually be the exact same character with just minor and hardly noticable differences. No thanks. Diablo III, Path of Exile and both Torchlights have gaming mechanics like MH..and they all do it better imo. I'd even rather play Diablo II over this tbh.

       Idk. I'm sure no one cares what I think but I'd really like an actual Marvel Universe MMO. I still wonder what Cryptic might have done if they were able to maintain the license and weren't influenced by Atari to rush shit out...or  pissing people off with their extremely pay gated customization options. Not sure who exactly is responsible for the Champions F2P setup but they need a spikey boot up the arse...providing it doesn't cost to much Zen to unlock in the store. Still Cryptic has always impressed me with the customization options in their games. The best ever, starting with COX, then Champions and STO. Neverwinter? Not so much really.

       Well..here's to hoping Marvel Heroes is far enough removed from an "MMO" as many have come to know them to give someone else a chance to make a true Marvel  MMORPG . Come on Disney..let it happen if it can and please..pick the developer well.

     
     
  • OzmodanOzmodan Hilliard, OHPosts: 7,193Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by syntax42
    I don't know about how other people feel, but I prefer to make my character instead of being handed one.  There is more attachment that way because I can invest in things I'm interested in.  Instead of letting players create their character or at least choose one they liked, the game forced you to pick one of two characters and play with them for a while or pay money for a character.  No thanks.  I'll keep my money and find a game with a better design.

    Not really a MMO, namely because you can't make your own character, you have to use theirs.  With that in mind, this game still deserves the rating it got originally.

  • MikeBMikeB MMORPG.com Community Manager Queens, NYPosts: 5,724Administrator Uncommon
    Originally posted by Caskio

    I actually started playing this game about 2 months ago.  i am absolutely loving it.  Iron Man being my favorite followed closely by Spider-Man, Hulk, Loki, and Deadpool so far.  I am one of the lucky to get Spider-Man using only 175 splinters.  most of my current heroes are randoms from the splinters box.

    I'm just having a lot of fun with the game.  It's almost like collecting cards again like when I was a kid, but now I'm the one moving the hero.

    Nice. Spidey is my favorite and main. They did a really good job with his rework. Really looking forward to Psylocke this year!

    Michael "MikeB" Bitton
    Community Manager
    Twitter: @eMikeB

  • Po_ggPo_gg Twigwarren, WestfarthingPosts: 2,729Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by BarCrow

       Idk. I'm sure no one cares what I think but I'd really like an actual Marvel Universe MMO. I still imagine about what Cryptic might have done if they were able to maintain the license and weren't influenced by Atari to rush shit out...or  pissing people off with their extremely pay gated customization options.( not sure who exactly is responsible for the Champions setup but they need a spikey boot up the arse...providing it doesn't cost to much Zen to unlock in the store). Still Cryptic has always impressed me with the customization options in their games. The best ever between COX, Champions and STO. (Neverwinter..much,much less so)

    I do. /wave

    I wrote the very same numerous times since marvel herpes was announced. Based on how much I liked CO, it would've been awesome if only they can finish it as a Marvel one. A real, full-fledged Marvel mmo... Too bad that ship is gone for good. With Marvel officially lined up behind this ultimate alliance clone "thing" (with small t, the real, big T Thing is a cool character :) ), I'm sure we won't see any Marvel mmo in the future. Which is sad.

    And yep, I could ignore it alongside all the other cr*p diablo clones, like that PoS which also gets way too many coverage (or PoE maybe. dunno :) ), but it's not that easy, since it's Marvel. Marvel rocks. But this game is not. (Nicely put.)

    True, in the last few years the comics are getting weaker and weaker too. Maybe there will be much more spikey boots needed, the whole department deserves some of those kicks...

  • BenbradaBenbrada Plainfield, ILPosts: 329Member Uncommon

    In fact the game is doing so WELL (all you nay sayers) they are making the dev team bigger!

    There's at least one posting on their forums looking to hire a "modder" who also has expert knowledge in M.H.

    How many other games have grown their dev team months after launch?

  • BenbradaBenbrada Plainfield, ILPosts: 329Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Caskio

    I actually started playing this game about 2 months ago.  i am absolutely loving it.  Iron Man being my favorite followed closely by Spider-Man, Hulk, Loki, and Deadpool so far.  I am one of the lucky to get Spider-Man using only 175 splinters.  most of my current heroes are randoms from the splinters box.

    I'm just having a lot of fun with the game.  It's almost like collecting cards again like when I was a kid, but now I'm the one moving the hero.

     

    Yeah I dislike you :-) I've been playing since beta and never got a hero as a random drop, fortune card, etc.... got a sheetload of boosters though :-/

     

  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Columbus, OHPosts: 879Member Uncommon

    While being able to create your own hero would've been great, the chances of running into a 'clone' of yourself in a game with 32+ heroes, each with 4-12 unique costumes & half a dozen builds is far, far lower than doing so in a game with 7 gender locked, build-locked classes, or 6 classes divided into two genders.

    Complain all you want, but MH is by far the most diverse ARPG out there right now, and IMHO the most fun to play. Powers are fun and flashy, destructible environments are a blast to play in (REALLY missed those while trying PoE), and there's a ton of stuff to do, with more on the way.

    Plus they're not charging $40 for story continuation...

    @Benbrada: 500K *regular* players and growing. The Marvel films releasing this summer & next are only going to grow this number, IF their marketing department is smart.

    AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

  • JakeywakesJakeywakes Tyler, TXPosts: 1Member

    I've played MH since beta, I'm an Ultimate Pack purchaser, and I continue to spend money on this game because it has changed dramatically from when it was launched in June.  Every positive word written in this article about the devs at Gazillion is definitely deserved;  they have really done quite outstanding jobs improving MH to its current state -- and there's more to come!

    Not many games have devs like MH does, and that's partly the reason I bought into it (the other reason:  I had to have Symbiote Spidey :D).  I had faith in David Brevik, and that he would find the right people to iron out the wrinkles -- which he did.  The main reason this game is/has improved is because it's made by people who care.

    I personally love MH and plan to play it indefinitely.  I also encourage other gamers to join a guild;  being social, doing raids/missions together, laughing and having fun -- you just can't beat that!  And I joined one of the best guilds out there (NSA -- here is our website: https://www.nsagaming.com/wp/).  Really, just a great bunch of gamers!

    You may now proceed to flame me up for daring to write something nice and not snarky about MH.

     
  • DauzqulDauzqul Detroit, MIPosts: 1,411Member Uncommon

    Nope. There is no way to obtain certain character costumes like Symbiote Spider-Man etc. Some accounts have permanent magic find buffs for purchasing the game before launch.

    I would be coming into this game late. I just feel that I'm missing some part of the game due to what I mentioned above. Unless they allow these things to be purchased or dropped in store, I will not play this game.

     
  • beergo99lesbeergo99les woodside, NYPosts: 9Member

    you guys realize that ..you're supposed to be playing the actual hero and not your own character yeah? I guess for me it's more amazing to actually play ghost rider than have fire powers on a generic guy.

    I can't tell you how many times in WoW or GW2, i'd spent 30 minutes in character create. Just so the game could put a "Class piece" of gear on me, and I look like every other warlock or mesmer. Come on now, they advertised playing THE HERO you watch in the movies and stuff. It's not bad design, it's better than walking around as captain fire pants, and doing some anti-cannon stuff.

    Why did dcuo fail? well it's still going, but the main excuse was "why advertise batman and joker, when you can't even play them?" I was there, you can't tell me that wasn't spammed every thread.

  • ArglebargleArglebargle Austin, TXPosts: 1,419Member Uncommon
    Interesting article.  Might even get me to take another look.  But boy was this game pathetic at release.   Compounded by their 'play our characters' model, which is not particularly to my taste.  

    If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

  • BarCrowBarCrow Tampa, FLPosts: 2,212Member
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

    While being able to create your own hero would've been great, the chances of running into a 'clone' of yourself in a game with 32+ heroes, each with 4-12 unique costumes & half a dozen builds is far, far lower than doing so in a game with 7 gender locked, build-locked classes, or 6 classes divided into two genders.

    Complain all you want, but MH is by far the most diverse ARPG out there right now, and IMHO the most fun to play. Powers are fun and flashy, destructible environments are a blast to play in (REALLY missed those while trying PoE), and there's a ton of stuff to do, with more on the way.

    Plus they're not charging $40 for story continuation...

    @Benbrada: 500K *regular* players and growing. The Marvel films releasing this summer & next are only going to grow this number, IF their marketing department is smart.

     

          I'm glad it's doing well and it did seem they adjusted many of the shop prices. I'm not adverse to RMT overall but some of the pricing was out there..imo. However it's just not something I desired to continue playing for any length of time. These are my opinions on a forum and the problems I have with the game. Not really a complaint. I don't like escargo either..I can tell you reasons why but I don't consider that "complaining " about snails as a food item.  

        You're right that many mmos/arps have limited choices. On the whole I don't play many of them. The ones I have tried just seemed to have been done better...or..at the least..are more entertaining to me. As far as MH...I liked running into the various familiar and not so familiar Marvel Universe faces during missions. I bought a Wolverine pack but ended up playing Daredevil mostly. I gave it a month and a half about 3-4 times a week and have since re-downloaded the game on Steam no less than 3 times to check out changes and improvements. It just never seems to grab me because of the main points I mentioned.            

         Unfortunately I also must have the crappiest luck ever (which I can believe actually) because as far as the "chances" you mentioned go...I still end up seeing a dozen or more of the same Marvel Heroes in one of several costumes and/or marginally different power specs running around. Granted...Wolverine is one of them but I can hardly expect any different..as much as he is liked because of comics and now..films. (Not to mention Iron Man but he has a shit ton of armor variants).

      I did find it funny that I had to adjust the bass volume on my PC's speaker setup because when Hulk's and/or Thing's ran around on the screen my computer desk would shake. lol.

     
  • BarCrowBarCrow Tampa, FLPosts: 2,212Member
    sorry duped in error
     
  • Max-Power420Max-Power420 Carrboro, NCPosts: 3Member
    Originally posted by syntax42
    I don't know about how other people feel, but I prefer to make my character instead of being handed one.  There is more attachment that way because I can invest in things I'm interested in.  Instead of letting players create their character or at least choose one they liked, the game forced you to pick one of two characters and play with them for a while or pay money for a character.  No thanks.  I'll keep my money and find a game with a better design.

     

     

    New players had 5 to pick from, not 2.  I think it's now 10 to pick from.  Also, you can get enough Splinters to get a new character in less than a week, playing just 1-2 hours a day.

     
  • Max-Power420Max-Power420 Carrboro, NCPosts: 3Member
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

    Ya, this game would have been more fun with a create your hero design. As it is, it just feels awkward running around with 20 Wolverines fighting together etc. If they had at least made up some kind of story of clones or robots or something I would have been fine with it lol. Give me something  to cling on to!

    Only plus side was since I played Rocket Racoon I was pretty much always the only one.

    Pretty sure the very first cut scene when you begin the game explains why there are so many of the same characters.

  • Reu_ReansReu_Reans Brooklyn, NYPosts: 1Member

    If the only reason why you won't play is because you're missing out on a costume with a special voice[Which has the same VA as the Superior Spider-Man Costume and even then they're gonna make a non enhanced one soon] Then you're a bit sad

    the only other costumes are just Christmas and Halloween only so just wait a bit jeez.

    I only brought a starter pack[Cyclops at that]  and I'm not missing out on anything

  • Max-Power420Max-Power420 Carrboro, NCPosts: 3Member
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

    Nope. There is no way to obtain certain character costumes like Symbiote Spider-Man etc. Some accounts have permanent magic find buffs for purchasing the game before launch.

    I would be coming into this game late. I just feel that I'm missing some part of the game due to what I mentioned above. Unless they allow these things to be purchased or dropped in store, I will not play this game.

     
     

    The magic find buff isn't that big a deal. It's pretty easy to bump up your magic find.  Plus, with RNG being RNG, it's hard to notice a big difference.  You would definitely not be behind if you are just starting.

    The costume is purely cosmetic.  If that is what is keeping you from playing, I would just stick with Barbie Dress Up.

  • BarCrowBarCrow Tampa, FLPosts: 2,212Member
    Originally posted by beergo99les

    you guys realize that ..you're supposed to be playing the actual hero and not your own character yeah? I guess for me it's more amazing to actually play ghost rider than have fire powers on a generic guy.

    I can't tell you how many times in WoW or GW2, i'd spent 30 minutes in character create. Just so the game could put a "Class piece" of gear on me, and I look like every other warlock or mesmer. Come on now, they advertised playing THE HERO you watch in the movies and stuff. It's not bad design, it's better than walking around as captain fire pants, and doing some anti-cannon stuff.

    Why did dcuo fail? well it's still going, but the main excuse was "why advertise batman and joker, when you can't even play them?" I was there, you can't tell me that wasn't spammed every thread.

     

       How did DCUO fail?

       That's one I do play despite having a preference for Marvel during my comic collecting decades. The only mistake DCUO made was not coming out F2P in the first place. Other than that. it too, has come a long way since beta imo. There are original hero concepts flying/running/superspeeding about all over the place.

      The combat system is not much different in execution than MH. However combat seems a little bit more nuanced &  entertaining imo. Its one of the only non-fps multiplayer/mmo games in which I actually enjoy PvPing. I even have all my characters on a PvP (always on) server.

       They have content updates and events going on a regular basis and you get to team up for interesting stories. Often fighting/working side-by-side with  many of the  loved/hated established Heroes/villains from the DC Universe (and Elseworlds in some cases) .  

       Even the Avatar customization , though seemingly limited at character creation turns out to be deceptively versatile and robust as you collect more costume pieces. Most of which are regular rewards or random drops. One of the best things is you can change your 3 base color options as well as switch out any costume pieces cosmetically (shuffling your base colors to each piece independently for best appearance or effect) at anytime and free of charge. Most games these days make you pay for dyes are other similar changes each and every time. Usually with real money. The costume pieces you buy in the store for cash or from an in-game vendor with dollars from vended items or rewards are again, priced reasonably. Their travel powers and power sets could be a bit more open though.

       On top of it all the game looks really good (especially on high settings) to most people that have played or seen any coverage and plays pretty damn smoothly. Not that MH doesn't..as I never experience a major bug when playing that game either.

       Who knows. I'm always trying out games that I never gained an appreciation for again and again as they progress. MH may catch me one of those times. That's good too.

       Not trying to troll or piss people off so I'll stop ranting. As long as you enjoy what you're playing then, by all means, have at it. Not trying to dissuade anyone from a game they love or think they might like to try. Just giving my 2 cents. Or more like $5 with all this babbling. : )

     
     
     
     
     
     
  • HeafstaggHeafstagg Edmonton, ABPosts: 170Member Uncommon
    I've been playing MH exclusively for awhile now. No MMO that has come out for quite some time has managed to hold my attention for as long as MH has. Definitely, if you like ARPG's, you should give MH a shot. It holds a surprisingly amount of depth and character customization in it. Itemization is much, much better than it was on release and there is enough end game to keep most people playing with new content being added on a very regular basis. It's a great game for people that are alt-aholics as well.

    image
  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
     I'm not going to give this game a second chance. That's stupid and goes completely against what I said at it's release when you're being charged 20+ dollars per character.

    image

    Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
«13
Sign In or Register to comment.