Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Why You Should Give Marvel Heroes Another Look

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I like the game in small doses but get bored of it pretty easy. It's fun to log in once in a while and blow stuff up with one of the heroes but the biggest thing that keeps me away right now is all the reworking going on. Every time I seem to log in my hero has all their points reset and what I used to use as powers is now been nerfed.

I understand they're reworking everything so I'll probably just wait a bit and then try it again. I was getting annoyed last time I logged in. By the time I'd finished reading up on my "new" old hero I didn't feel like playing.

• HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
     I'm not going to give this game a second chance. That's stupid and goes completely against what I said at it's release when you're being charged 20+ dollars per character.

Lol there was never a hero that cost over $20+. Maybe a hero pack, which nets you all the costumes and a hero specific stash tab and a fortune card. Even then, there wasn't too many heroes in that range. I think maybe three. If that.

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    I gave up when villains were released. Will not be back.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

It's definitely fun and worth trying with an open mind.

With that being said, I think their pricing is predatory and I wish they would remove the lottery systems (fortune cards) from the game completely.

No ARPG is worth the prices they are charging to have access to everything in the game.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541
    Just for you MikeB, I'll give it another go.
    I think the biggest problem is the identity issue. Where are there 50 spiderman running around?
    I think they should start adding player choice and vertical movement to the game. Its silly my iron man are just hovering all the time.
    There are definite immersion issues with the game.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by xKingdomx
    Just for you MikeB, I'll give it another go.I think the biggest problem is the identity issue. Where are there 50 spiderman running around? I think they should start adding player choice and vertical movement to the game. Its silly my iron man are just hovering all the time.There are definite immersion issues with the game.

I was wondering about all the different versions of the same characters in the game. Is there any in game explanation for this? Even a weak, multiple reality thing would suffice I think.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• beergo99lesbeergo99les Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
     I'm not going to give this game a second chance. That's stupid and goes completely against what I said at it's release when you're being charged 20+ dollars per character.

3 out of 26 heroes were $20 ...keyword were..

• EvilPeterEvilPeter Member Posts: 2

The game has had great improvement this far and the best thing is that it doesn't seem to stop just because they've reached the point where it's actually a really good game. There seems to be just as much effort put in to improving the game from this state on, which is why the game is keeping my interest as I've never played a game with this kind of development pace.

As for making your own hero, this won't be the game for you if that's one of your major wants. Personally I generally don't think online games provide a deep enough story for a random character to get any real worth, that's imo best suited to real single player RPG's where the story is front and center and about that character. In a game like this I prefer to get a hero with tons of history, which all the Marvel heroes have.

• MindTrickedMindTricked Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by WolfClaws

One thing I wish they would include, is a chapter or two of hero specific missions.  Missions designed around the hero with dialog and villains and goals like their comics would have... But I doubt I will ever see that.

YES. I've been thinking about this very thing for a couple of weeks, with mostly classic confrontations. For example, Wolverine having to fight his way out of the basement of the Hellfire Club... Spider-Man vs. the Sinister Six, etc.

On topic, this game has DEFINITELY improved by Hulk-type leaps and bounds. I'd played since early Beta, and again at launch... but just didn't feel it grab me like it should have. I slowly returned sometime around late September/October, but play was still sporadic; I've now been playing the game pretty-much exclusively since November, and have put in a TON of hours. I may or may not be borderline-obsessed ;-)

• TigerKnight77TigerKnight77 Member Posts: 1

Originally I was extremely excited to play this game back before it was released. Once it was, I played for about 4 days and dropped it as the game was that bad. Yes, THAT bad.

About 2-3 months ago right before the release of Patch 2.0, someone mentioned that the game had gotten better to me and I was willing to give it a second chance. I spent money and bought a character and started to play it. I got hooked as the feel of the game was much better. While there wasn't anything to speak of New Content wise, you can feel that developers realized they had a bad product and made steps to fix it.

BUT that love was very short lived. Along comes patch 2.1 very shortly later that made me regret every penny I spent. The game got butchered as the developers felt that characters were basically unkillable. So things were changed such as:

-All level 52 reworks done were basically nerfed to hell to equal the ones who hadn't gotten their reworks.

-Dodge type characters were stripped of their ability to dodge and given a block-like ability they called dodge. So instead of the character Dodging an attack, the character has less than a 50% chance to "Dodge" the attack and only take HALF DAMAGE instead of full. Hence, you were hit and didn't really dodge anything.

-This will be a very heavy PVP focused game as it is already changing things in game to accomidate their PVP. 

-Individual differences of the Marvel Characters have been lost. Every character can now kill at the same speed, die at the same speed, debuff the same without any chance of improvement.... No one is stronger or tougher or more powerful than any other.

-The game has been changing so much that EVERYTHING is basically on the rework board. It's so bad that I would say it's back in BETA version 2.0. There are no constants and any builds you make now will likely need to be changed every patch. Current players already complain about it.

Bottom line: It's worth playing as it's the best Free to Play game out there AS LONG AS you don't spend any money on it. It's still a good year or two off of being worth your hard earned dollars. Don't learn the hard way like I did.

Originally posted by lizardbones

I was wondering about all the different versions of the same characters in the game. Is there any in game explanation for this? Even a weak, multiple reality thing would suffice I think.

nope

Do they ever really need explanations in mmos why almost the entire worlds population spends it's time out in the forest killing wolves for pelts to give to one guy in town ? ...or the epic legendary sword forged in the heart of a dyeing dragon....just happens to be strapped to the back of EVERY warrior in the game ?

There really isn't anything unique in an mmo.

• BadfingerBadfinger Member Posts: 5

Marvel Heroes is now very good and with 10 hero raids and more challenging content around the corner, it's a good time to get some end game leveled up heroes going now.

The excuses I read above made me LOL and sound completely fake; bad attempts at sabotage?

Please ignore them, and see you in the game.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    It's enjoyable as a single player game for a while, though repetition sets in quite quickly. Why they made this an MMO baffles me, it should have been done like Borderlands with its optional co-op play.
  • leoo88556leoo88556 Member Posts: 135

Kudos to the devs that didn't give up on their game and keep making the game better.

The clone issue that people talked about will always be there as the point of this game is that you can BE the actual heroes that you know and love, but if you can get over it the game is really fun now. Give it a try with an open mind and you're in for a treat.

• pzg33pzg33 Member Posts: 2
    game has come a long way. great fun now and with raids and cosmic terms coming will have a lot more end game. shits on D3 imo. devs are 50 times betters.
  • vladko92vladko92 Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Well, currently I am not playing MH, because I feel like my favorite heroine (Storm) is not at all like herself. However the game indeed improved a lot since the closed beta days, however placing everything balanced is rather stupid... I understand such thing to be done for PvP, but for PvE, it's not fair at all... some heroes are suppose to be stronger than others, how can you put every single hero on the same level, when canon he/she is nowhere that level, it is above or under the level... you know... 
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by vladko92
    Well, currently I am not playing MH, because I feel like my favorite heroine (Storm) is not at all like herself. However the game indeed improved a lot since the closed beta days, however placing everything balanced is rather stupid... I understand such thing to be done for PvP, but for PvE, it's not fair at all... some heroes are suppose to be stronger than others, how can you put every single hero on the same level, when canon he/she is nowhere that level, it is above or under the level... you know... 

In the end, gameplay comes first. No one wants to feel like they have to play Thor when their favorite character is Black Widow and she's basically just a normal human in most respects. 

• ZaqirZaqir Member UncommonPosts: 55

I started in beta full of hope and quit soon after but i came back in September and I have to be honest the game is AMAZING.

It is not a true MMO, sometimes getting over the fact you can't make your own guy can be tough but it isn't that different then other ARPG's that give us 4 or 5 generic characters and most mmos like starwars give basic bland cookie cutter classes as well.

MH is the only game i know that truly turned a bad start into something of quality and most of all it is FUN!

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666
    So I gave it a shot after reading this article... and I'm pretty amazed! So far so good...
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by vladko92

In the end, gameplay comes first. No one wants to feel like they have to play Thor when their favorite character is Black Widow and she's basically just a normal human in most respects. 

Being able to wear some of her outfits clearly puts her outside " normal" :)

But it's an mmo, not a single player game so yeah, everyone has to be " the hero" in this case. In a single player game they could design the story to custom fit their abilities better and wouldn't need to balance things so closely. 

• HoliceHolice Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

Ya, this game would have been more fun with a create your hero design. As it is, it just feels awkward running around with 20 Wolverines fighting together etc. If they had at least made up some kind of story of clones or robots or something I would have been fine with it lol. Give me something  to cling on to!

Too many people have this same complaint, but how is it any different than any other game where every one of the same class is running around in exactly the same armor? Even WoW, the most popular mmo ever, has every end game raider eventually wearing the exact same gear for their spec.

The fact that you play as the iconic hero is what makes this game so great. Basically its like playing ultimate alliance on an mmo scale. I can't tell you how many people in city of heroes tried to imitate marvel or dc heroes, so clearly there was a want out there for the ability to play as a hero and use exactly that heroes powers.

And the biggest and best part of this game is the fact that it is 100% free. They have a great lineup of 8 or so heroes to choose from and within 30 days of good playing time or 60 days of very casual time, you will have enough splinters to get any hero you want. The dev team for this game is the most involved dev team I've ever seen, and there are only a handful of mmo-type games I have not played. There are people from every facet of the company on the forums answering questions, not just paid/unpaid forum mods telling you they will "try and see" if they can get an answer.

Definitely give this game a fair shot. And if you join up with a guild, there's a great chance you'll be like me and pretty much never ever run with the same hero in the same group. It's not difficult and most people are more than happy to play someone else if it really bothers you.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    Originally posted by MikeB

I actually chose Black Widow as my first character fully expecting to be underpowered compared to the likes of Thor or Hulk, I was looking forward to the challenge. I was really disappointed when I found out I was just as powerful in most regards. I couldn't throw cars around, but that was about all that was different.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Comments section here has pretty much convinced me to continue to ignore this.   The gamification of the hero design sounds terrible.   It's akin to having all weapons do the same damage.  They couldn't come up with game systems to deal with it, so they just abstracted it all out of usefulness. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• banditoabanditoa Member UncommonPosts: 13
    It's an ARPG, not an MMORPG [mod edit[. You don't create heroes in an ARPG, you just pick a guy and melt waves of enemies with him. It's been like that since the beginning of the genre.
  • NyninchnailsNyninchnails Member Posts: 1

Honestly, why would they make hero's to where you had to customize their appearence. Then it would be DC Universe...

I prefer having my Hero's look like the Marvel Hero's... not some made up garbage. Not to mention, the game play in MH is much better than any other Diablo style game I've ever played.

So if this costumizing is what's keeping you from playing this game, then you're missing out. The game is pretty much free, you really don't have to spend money if you wish. I never bought the packs, but I have bought characters, stash boxes and a few other items to help support the game.

From the time I got invited into Beta until today, I can clearly say that this game has come a LONG way in such a short period of time. Whatever isn't working right, they work on it very quickly, get it resolved and get the server back up and running again. They do rely on feedback from everyone, even a few things I have posted in their forum was addressed within a few days.

Other Free to play games require payment no matter what to get anywhere in the game, this game doesn't. It may have some flaws here and there, but it's progressing very quickly. I paid $60 for Diablo 3, played one character to top level and quit playing it within a month, and there it sits on my shelf collecting dust. Marvel Heroes I play when I get free time to. Not because it's free, but because it's a much more balanced and player oriented game.