Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GPU Prices, WTF! Bitcoin?

TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

I'm building another gaming machine, I'm trying to hit under the $750 mark, and I usually do and, very easily if I get a cheap but solid case (The Antec One has become one of my favs recently). So I'm looking for a nice card, 7870, even an R9 series will do but, something under $200. Then I noticed. Not one of my go to vendors have those cards for under $200. I seem to remember that LAST YEAR these very same cards were in the $170's with rebates and free games. On newegg it's not so bad but on Amazon, it's like a holy war, these cards are $230+ for some reason.

Is that reason really bitcoin?

Comments

• mastersam21mastersam21 Member UncommonPosts: 70

Bitcoin is one of the reason for the rise in price. If you still looking i found this

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/384911

If you dont mind going nvidia.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Here is a 7870 GHZ edition on newegg for $160 after the rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131546

There are several others right around the $200 or less mark also.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

The reasion is, is because AMD is trying to move through the remaining non R9 stock. The 7870 and most of the number cards have been replaced with the R series. They are virtualy the same thing just slightly different specs and fab process.

As amd has replaced the 7XXX and afew others. They are replaced with the R7 and R9. So the prices are only going to go up from here as the remaining stock runs out.

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

I know right..

I suggested a new R9 280x 3gb to my friends not too long before christmas... (for BF4).

We found one, the Gigabyte OC 3gb for 319$ (that's Canadian dollars).

I had other things on my plate at the time, so I did not buy one for myself, thinking that prices would only go down anyways.. Now that I'm ready to pull the trigger, the exact same card is 449$++ .. 

Not too sure what happened there, but that's a hell of a price increase.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Luckily my budget for video cards is always in the $130 dollar range, and "high end" never gets down to the $130 price range. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    Originally posted by Hultay

I think new nvidia will come next month or so. Maybe w8 for that and see prices.

(I am guessing couse 800M version appeared)

I highly doubt we'll see any  desktop ge force 800 series in Q1 2014. 

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

I feel lucky that I got that 7950 before everything went berserk. Even some of those R9 series are $100 more than I think they should be. I don't think it's bitcoin necessarily since asic mining is the go to these days but still, even the R9 series! I'll just keep waiting or prowl craigslist, dubious as it is.

Though that asus gtx660 DCU II edition is properly priced, The one I have now is pretty good so I'd trust them over power color assuming asus honors that gift card rebate. I'm still waiting on a gift card from Sapphire, those SOB's.