Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why This game will be as successful as SKYRIM and past ES games.

Comments

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    Originally posted by fistorm

They put First person view in just because of fans,  that says a lot about their creditworthiness

To me that shouts out "haven't got a clue about the IP or how to design games". I mean to not even think about first person view in an ES game is just indicative of their design process so far...clueless till someone (fans) point out the obvious.

Honestly, not something to pat them on the back about.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Brabbit1987

Do you even have any idea how hard it would be to make an MMO be exactly like Skyrim? To many thing in TES series don't translate well to MMOs. It just doesn't work.

Frankly, it feels like you are trying to hard, trolling, or just very delusional.

I wanted to address this last part seperatly because its at the heart of everything I been trying to say.

First Person View, something that is AMAZINGLY HARD to put into an MMO and is in SKYRIM.  They have put it into ESO despite costs and it NOT TRANSLATING over to a MMO easily, and would take tremendous amounts of updates for the content to do this in the future, AND THEY DO IT!, and to see the DEV say that 30-40% of the players right now are USING IT! 

That's to what extent they are willing to go to TRANSLATE skyrim into ESO....   So when you sound shocked that they are adding features from SKYRIM into ESO that are wayyy too hard in your eyes to put into ESO, its because what I'm trying to tell you is actually happening if your watching the Official game videos and Devs words.  The IMPOSSIBLE is not Delusional, its ACTUALLY happening, and only one piece of proof is the First Person View.

First person view isn't hard to put into an MMO .. what are you even talking about -.-? It's no different then putting it in any other game.

I still think you are rather delusional. There is no need to be this strongly opinionated about a game. It's great you think this game will be soooo amazing. I am here to tell you though, not everyone sees it that way, and you will never convince anyone to see it the way you do.

So just give up, because all you are doing right now is looking overly obsessive. It's rather ridiculous. 

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Markusrind

They put First person view in just because of fans,  that says a lot about their creditworthiness

To me that shouts out "haven't got a clue about the IP or how to design games". I mean to not even think about first person view in an ES game is just indicative of their design process so far...clueless till someone (fans) point out the obvious.

Exactly, I was kinda shocked they didn't automatically assume it should be in the game. -.- it's one of TES Series big features.

Let's put it this way, I assumed First person was in ESO, then later found out that they put it in AFTER fans complained. I was like, seriously? O.o That should have never even been thought about, should have been obvious to put in a first person view.

Also, fistorm, I am  a big TES fan .. how come I don't seem to like ESO much? I play Skyrim all the time and love it. Yet I don't seem to love ESO so far. Why is that exactly? Could it be .. that ... it's because it's not like Skyrim? Kinda opposite of what you say.

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

If you read those DEV words, you can see they did have a HUGE debate over it INTENALY.   I think after seeing the reaction and reception of this feature,  back in Aug.  That is when they really started to know who their player base was going to be.   The fans of SKYRIM,  so naturally everything after that is going  to not even be a debate, they already know who to please with ESO.  

I'm sure the next debate over an ES feature came up, the debate became ONE SIDED in favor of ES fans real quick.  I think all the video after that has proven that also, and the words of DEVS are a lot more SKYRIM then ever.  Which is why I think SKYRIM fans are going to make this game super successful. 

Off to bed.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by cura

Exactly, I was kinda shocked they didn't automatically assume it should be in the game. -.- it's one of TES Series big features.

Let's put it this way, I assumed First person was in ESO, then later found out that they put it in AFTER fans complained. I was like, seriously? O.o That should have never even been thought about, should have been obvious to put in a first person view.

Also, fistorm, I am  a big TES fan .. how come I don't seem to like ESO much? I play Skyrim all the time and love it. Yet I don't seem to love ESO so far. Why is that exactly? Could it be .. that ... it's because it's not like Skyrim? Kinda opposite of what you say.

I would even say that FPP should be the only one in the ESO game. Didint check how far you can zoom out camera in beta but if it as far as in other mmos, people who will play in FPP mode will be in big disadventage in PVP.

The main reason it was developed firstly in 3rd person is for PVP. No one plays PVP in First Person with any degree of success. Or even collaborative PVE

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Acidon

Originally posted by muthax

Originally posted by Gdemami ESO =/= Skyrim Online.
      That's correct.  Otherwise it wouldn't be called a different name. However, I can now that I am very excited to buy and play ESO.  I didn't start TES games until Morrowind, but that and oblivion made an impression on me that will never go away (especially Morrowind). I am a tester for ESO beta.  Yes I can say that.   On an unrelated note, I can imagine that ESO is extremely fun and while playing Skyrim I imagine that I would so much rather be in the world of ESO.   I know it's not "cool" to dote on ESO, but I can't help it - from what I've heard.   EDIT:  What language(s) uses =/= ?  I'm just curious, I see a lot of people use that expression rather than what I am used to, which is:  !=    Purely out of curiosity.
    I could answer about the language, but I bet it's a bannable offense

Is it supposed to represent the mathematical symbol, ? , and not in a programming language at all?  I'm just very curious. All major programming languages I'm fluent in use:  !=  .  I understand both mean "not equal to" but my question still stands if anyone is willing to answer.

Its just people trying to be "trendy" as far as i know. Personally i find it annoying.

There is no programming equivalent. there are some languages however that can take expressions like "===" (php) but usually like you say when trying to evaluate equality its "!=" or "==".

These operators used inline don't make any sense :)
    "=" (logical) "/" (arithmetic) "=" (logical)

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

I would even say that FPP should be the only one in the ESO game. Didint check how far you can zoom out camera in beta but if it as far as in other mmos, people who will play in FPP mode will be in big disadventage in PVP.

The main reason it was developed firstly in 3rd person is for PVP. No one plays PVP in First Person with any degree of success. Or even collaborative PVE

So we can forget about another important aspect of previous ES games. Great.

I personally played the archery and magic parts of TES games in FP and the rest in 3rd. I know a lot of people who did the same, also a lot of people who didn't.

You are still projecting your own opinions and personal tastes like they were FACTS.

Also, if you don't like it, well don't play it. I just don't get the obsessive hate and need to express it over and over... ah there is a new GW2 article, no one here want to go hate on that' Cmon... the game changes, but the hate stays the same :)

GOGOGO!

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

When the NDA falls, the discussion will simply continue.

There are obviously people who liked what they saw and people who didn't like what they saw in the beta as well. Stop pretending it's any other way on either side of the argument.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Nitth

That's correct.  Otherwise it wouldn't be called a different name. However, I can now that I am very excited to buy and play ESO.  I didn't start TES games until Morrowind, but that and oblivion made an impression on me that will never go away (especially Morrowind). I am a tester for ESO beta.  Yes I can say that.   On an unrelated note, I can imagine that ESO is extremely fun and while playing Skyrim I imagine that I would so much rather be in the world of ESO.   I know it's not "cool" to dote on ESO, but I can't help it - from what I've heard.   EDIT:  What language(s) uses =/= ?  I'm just curious, I see a lot of people use that expression rather than what I am used to, which is:  !=    Purely out of curiosity.

Is it supposed to represent the mathematical symbol, ? , and not in a programming language at all?  I'm just very curious. All major programming languages I'm fluent in use:  !=  .  I understand both mean "not equal to" but my question still stands if anyone is willing to answer.

Its just people trying to be "trendy" as far as i know. Personally i find it annoying.

There is no programming equivalent. there are some languages however that can take expressions like "===" (php) but usually like you say when trying to evaluate equality its "!=" or "==".

Trendy? Maybe.

It's a lot simpler than that - =/= is supposed to be a line through the = sign, which is what many were taught in math classes. 

like this (especially in Europe - that is the mathematical "not equal" sign)

Also if you look at the list of universal math signs - not equal is there as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mathematical_symbols#Symbols

This whole side argument reminds me of the time someone here laughed at one of my posts and told me "it's not queue dumbass, it's qeu"

I thought the whole world knew that =/= is the common keyboard representation of the not equal sign we all learned in junior high math... apparently I was wrong.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Nitth

Trendy? Maybe.

It's a lot simpler than that - =/= is supposed to be a line through the = sign, which is what many were taught in math classes. 

like this (especially in Europe - that is the mathematical "not equal" sign)

Also if you look at the list of universal math signs - not equal is there as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mathematical_symbols#Symbols

This whole side argument reminds me of the time someone here laughed at one of my posts and told me "it's not queue dumbass, it's qeu"

I thought the whole world knew that =/= is the common keyboard representation of the not equal sign we all learned in junior high math... apparently I was wrong.

30 years ago, PCs weren't that common, I am afraid :)

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

When the NDA falls, the discussion will simply continue.

There are obviously people who liked what they saw and people who didn't like what they saw in the beta as well. Stop pretending it's any other way on either side of the argument.

Yea there is no settling this debate as it's all about personal preferences.  The game could sell 10 million copies and have 7 million subs after 6 months and people would cry it a failure because it doesn't have 12.  There is no doubt in my mind that TESO will be one of the highest selling initial MMO offering ever, especially when you tack on the June console launch numbers.  

It's a very open question on if it can hold that momentum moving forward however.  I just don't see where non MMO playing TES fans are going to tolerate having other people messing up their worlds or understand the need for a subscription for what has always been a single player game.  They are more likely to just go back to Skyrim instead.  That leaves traditional MMO players making up the bulk of it's player base post the first 30 days and we all know how fickle that group can be especially the PVP ones.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by udon

Yea there is no settling this debate as it's all about personal preferences.  The game could sell 10 million copies and have 7 million subs after 6 months and people would cry it a failure because it doesn't have 12.  There is no doubt in my mind that TESO will be one of the highest selling initial MMO offering ever, especially when you tack on the June console launch numbers.  

It's a very open question on if it can hold that momentum moving forward however.  I just don't see where non MMO playing TES fans are going to tolerate having other people messing up their worlds or understand the need for a subscription for what has always been a single player game.  They are more likely to just go back to Skyrim instead.  That leaves traditional MMO players making up the bulk of it's player base post the first 30 days and we all know how fickle that group can be especially the PVP ones.

If a game uses enough phasing, other people don't "mess up your world," because the parts of the world that actually have multiple possible states will base which state you see on your status in the game, not somebody else's.

Also, it's a little unfair to describe the average MMO player as fickle.  It's not fickle when you stop giving someone money when they stop giving you content, which is the pattern people generally follow with games they like.  (If they didn't like it, they would be gone after the "free" month.)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    You really can't go by release numbers.  Ask the question when its been out for six months. Release numbers are not how you can judge an mmo. Only singleplayer games can be judged like that. This game really better appeal to its base or it will fail. The base all love those single player games. Right now this game is nothing like them. Not all gamer's are posting on these boards so pretty much what we say here as mmo players mean little to the ip's true base. And they will bad mouth this game in a heart beat. I really think making the elder scrolls into an mmo was a mistake. I now a lot of elderscrolls fans and we all loved to play and talk about what we did in the game. And before anyone say's anything about playing together that's not the point here. The real fun part about elderscrolls game's was finding these things on your own and talking with your friends about it. I know most mmo players don't get this but its the truth. Coming home and trying to find that awesome place your friend told  you about. and talking about it when you do. Its the thing you can only do in a singleplayer game.  I know about 20 people that played skyrim and sharing over a dinner or beer at a bar what we did was another part of the game. When you play elderscrolls game's you fall into that world. You feel like you in it and mmo's kill that feeling. Sure their are fans that welcome an mmo but i bet their are a lot more that are not happy about it and they do not post here. 
  • asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I think you are getting caught up in "soundbites" and "blurbs".

Just because someone says "x is y" doesn't mean that it is what you think it is.

Let's put it in perspective.

When SWToR was in development one of the developers said the combat was something to the effect of "epic" and so players donned their idea of what that meant, played it and then there was a huge backlash. And it was just a harmless comment.

Would you say Lord of the Rings online was a sandbox? Becaues you can go off and discover thigns and craft things and it's still a themepark.

As for me, discovering chests and bits and bobs are fun but "exploration" to me is yielding a new adventure. In skyrim, morrowind, I can head out in any direction and disover a whole new tomb, a whole new ruin a whole niew town. That's what exploration means to me.

Discovering a chest is nice but how many times are you going to see a chest behind a rock and realize it is just pulling from the same loot tables as the chests before it?

Heck, even in skyrim I don't look in dressers anymore because I pretty much know what I'm going to find and i dont' need it.

As I've said, I've played 953 hours of Skyrim and I've played ESO (and let's draw upon my PAX experience (at this juncture) for that and I'm telling you they are different games.

Now, if the adventure zones pan out then "w00t" I'm in luck and a happy boy. And if the pvp doesn't boil down to "flipping keeps" then I'm even luckier.

But until we really see how those pan out, "they are different games".

It shows it to you in the videos, its not just words,  IF you WATCH the VIDEO, you can SEE with your own eyes what it looks like!!     Its not just someone coming out and lying, its a video to show you what it looks like.

You know, I've watched the video. And it doesn't "prove" anything. I can make the same video in lotro. I'm not saying they are lying but I suspect that there is "the truth" and "the truth"

But the truth is we will play it in a few weeks and we can come back and have another discussion.

At least from my point of view I'm talking about having played both games. You might have played skyrim (don't remember if you siad you did) but you haven't played ESO I gather.

From what I played at Cologne I actually have to disagree. The video is a fair, if not a bit unjust, to the game. It looks good, exploring does yield quests that are not necessarily quest hubs as well as secret crafting stations that allows you the craft special gear.

Remember that lunar forge north west (I think) of Windhelm in Skyrim? That blade found near that forge was pretty nice. It was a nice little experience to find it had it not been absolutely useless to me since I didn't find it until late game.

I actually think that the exploration part is a lot stronger than what it was in Skyrim. Aside from one single part, that is. You could not enter any or all dungeons you find, and even if you can you feel as if maybe you shouldn't because there's probably a quest that leads you back there.

That's the one weakspot of the exploration. But gathering resources for crafting and looking for treasures are far more yielding than they ever were in Skyrim. But my time with the game was limited, I opted to just skip most of the quests in towns and just run straight to intriguing landmarks.

• MirandelMirandel Member UncommonPosts: 143

Anyone whos ever played SKYRIM,  will atleast BUY or TRY ESO.   Because most of those players paid the box price for just SKYRIM, a single player game.   ESO is an Online game,  and will last longer then a single player game.   So if people loved SKYRIM to pay box price for it and love it and play it unbelievable hours, even up to 4000 hours, imagine how happy those people would be to play a ONLINE ES game that lasts more hours and gets NEW CONTENT for the whole next decade to come? 

You are right with one small correction - anyone who loved Skyrim (or other TES games) will buy ESO for sure. You know, there are those who did not like Skyrim that much (me included, I prefer RPG with solid plot rather then :just a world"). I am 100% sure the box-sale alone will be huge. And many MMO fans will pay at least 3 months subscription fees. So for the initial sale and first 3 months the game is safe and will report a huge success despite the ordinary graphics (thanks to consoles), bad animation (only NWO has worst), horrible UI (thanks to consoles), traditional team-park gameplay. 

Later on console players will realise they have to pay monthly fees, MMO players will understand there is nothing new about this game and game will begin to lose players. 3-side PvP has potential (we have not see it for some time), however the combat is far from perfect and it might not last.

So, my prediction is a huge sales, 3 months of unquestionable success and rapid fall.

• r3dl4ncer3dl4nce Member UncommonPosts: 114

Originally posted by Mirandel
    the ordinary graphics (thanks to consoles),
    Do you know that often the graphic quality in beta release of gmes is NOT the definitive graphic? TESO is not different.
    *cough* missing high resolution textures *cough* in past stress test *cough*

bad animation (only NWO has worst)
    Read above...

horrible UI (thanks to consoles)
    No. At least you could say "thanks to Skyrim" but it's not entirely true. The UI is BY DESIGN minimalistic, so you can SEE the game world and not play looking at 20 hotbars, health bars, minimap, combat log, indicators, menus, buttons, and so on.
    TESO tries to do everything to fully immerse the player in the game world, UI is just one of this feature

traditional team-park gameplay. 
    Do you mean "go from quest hub to quest hub with fed-ex style quests just to level up, without no need to explore the world, having a fixed class chosen at character creation with very few or no customization in skills/weapons/armors and then farm equip forever in instanced dungeons" ?
    This is the traditional (wow-clone) theme park gameplay, and TESO is totally different.
    Is TESO a sandbox? No.
    Is TESO a themepark? Yes.
    Is TESO a WoW-clone themepark? Absolutely not

Originally posted by r3dl4nce  

Originally posted by Mirandel the ordinary graphics (thanks to consoles),
    Do you know that often the graphic quality in beta release of gmes is NOT the definitive graphic? TESO is not different. *cough* missing high resolution textures *cough* in past stress test *cough*

You do realize there are less than 3 months until release of the game, right? During last beta all options were available. And btw I did not say "bad graphics", I said "ordinary". And yes, consoles play big part in keeping graphics at bay, because of the limitations they have.

As for animations - when you have so many bugs to fix, your priority will be bugs, not anything else. Animation is bad but tolerable and if NWO was able to sell there horror for animation, TESO should not care about it at all.

I would bet any amount of money that neither graphics nor animation will change at release.

Originally posted by Mirandel horrible UI (thanks to consoles)
    No. At least you could say "thanks to Skyrim" but it's not entirely true. The UI is BY DESIGN minimalistic,

By design it's for console. Ok, here you win - horrible for PC players. In Skyrim there were mods making that horror less painful. I am sure here we will get it too. What I meant - MMO players are mostly PC players, and many will find that console UI annoying (like it happened with FFIVX).

Originally posted by Mirandel traditional team-park gameplay. 
    Do you mean "go from quest hub to quest hub with fed-ex style quests just to level up, without no need to explore the world, having a fixed class chosen at character creation with very few or no customization in skills/weapons/armors and then farm equip forever in instanced dungeons" ? This is the traditional (wow-clone) theme park gameplay, and TESO is totally different. Is TESO a sandbox? No. Is TESO a themepark? Yes. Is TESO a WoW-clone themepark? Absolutely not    

You mixed up several different things in one sentence. But answer is the same anyway: sale point of ESO - it's TES in terms of freedom. All I am saying - it's too much of team-park to give the old TES feeling. For many it will be enough to ditch that "next TES" as abomination of the franchises, and for many more others it will be "nothing new here".

Yet, despite all above, I will repeat - we can expect huge sales and initial success for ESO, I have no doubts about it.

You do realize there are less than 3 months until release of the game, right? During last beta all options were available.
    Did you try changing from medium to high textures? No change in graphic... High resolution texture were simply not in the beta client, or not enabled, or whatever. Probably for various reasons, can be that those are still in in work and so not finished or just they did a stress test for servers and stability and the best graphics are not used for this kind of test, or other reasons.
    However, graphic style is clear for everyone who was in the last beta, it's a graphic style very similar to Skyrim, not too heavy to have a massive scale RvR with lot of players on screen.
    I'd wait for open beta / release to give a definitive comment on graphic quality, in the end it's very subjective.

And yes, consoles play big part in keeping graphics at bay, because of the limitations they have.
    Do you know TESO will run on new generation consoles PS4 and Xbox One that are like PCs with very good graphic cards?
    So, really, your argument is invalid...

As for animations - when you have so many bugs to fix, your priority will be bugs, not anything else.

So much bugs that the stress test went amazingly good with only some little bugs with NPCs and quests, nearly zero stability problems and overall a technical quality that most releases MMOs would like to have.
    Yes, it's not totally perfect, and just like any other software, will never be.
    Yes, some bugs are there (I filed about 15 /bug reports) but we are FAR from stress test / weekend of other MMOs during whose was impossible even to login in game...

By design it's for console. Ok, here you win - horrible for PC players.
    I play on PC, lot of other playes will be on PC and are lovign the minimalistic UI.
    Perhaps you are too much used to WoW-clones interface, in those game you just see a little portion of your character and game world, all the rest is covered by chats, icons, quick bars, indicators, arrows, maps, and so on.
    TESO is different. You should feel just like you are immersed in the world (and if you like more immersion, there is first person view too) and to achieve that, most of the interface is fading away when not needed or is just essential.
    But don't worry, there can be Addons, so you could go back to see just only 5 cm^2 of the world and play on quick bars, maps and all others indicators... if you like playing so...

For many it will be enough to ditch that "next TES" as abomination of the franchises, and for many more others it will be "nothing new here".

Skyrim, just to name another "TES game" have great freedom, freedom to explore, to go where you want, to find adventures even not following a linear story/main quest. The same is for TESO. In Skyrim you could do things that could ruin a multiplayer experience (example: killing a quest giver npc) so you could do that in a single player but in a MMO there are other players around you.
    Sandbox aspect of Skyrim end here. You can't shape the terrain, just to name a sandbox feature not present in Skyrim, and TESO will be the same.

A lot of people think "Skyrim = sandbox" just because they can change a lot via mod system. This cannot be done in a MMO environment, everyone must have the same client.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by asrlohz

From what I played at Cologne I actually have to disagree. The video is a fair, if not a bit unjust, to the game. It looks good, exploring does yield quests that are not necessarily quest hubs as well as secret crafting stations that allows you the craft special gear.

Remember that lunar forge north west (I think) of Windhelm in Skyrim? That blade found near that forge was pretty nice. It was a nice little experience to find it had it not been absolutely useless to me since I didn't find it until late game.

I actually think that the exploration part is a lot stronger than what it was in Skyrim. Aside from one single part, that is. You could not enter any or all dungeons you find, and even if you can you feel as if maybe you shouldn't because there's probably a quest that leads you back there.

That's the one weakspot of the exploration. But gathering resources for crafting and looking for treasures are far more yielding than they ever were in Skyrim. But my time with the game was limited, I opted to just skip most of the quests in towns and just run straight to intriguing landmarks.

The highlighted part is what I'm refering to. I can't speak about my closed beta experiences but at PAX I tried to play the game like I played morrowind or skyrim and it wasn't really possible. At least I didn't get the same "payback" for my efforts.

So sure, you do find quests by exploring. But what if you don't want quests?

So sure, you will find chests among other thigns, quests, some other things I experienced in beta but from what I can talk about, PAX, I never got the "oh, there is a door in that hill, where does that lead" experience, in a satisfying way.

But quests? Sure, I'll give you that.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

By design it's for console. Ok, here you win - horrible for PC players. In Skyrim there were mods making that horror less painful. I am sure here we will get it too. What I meant - MMO players are mostly PC players, and many will find that console UI annoying (like it happened with FFIVX).

So, what you're saying is you aren't a fan of the Elder Scrolls?  Because minimalist UI is a hallmark of the series dating back to before it offered console versions.  It's not a matter of "by design it's for console" it's a case of "by design it's an Elder Scrolls game."

And I've played FFXIV, it's not a fair comparison.

The highlighted part is what I'm refering to. I can't speak about my closed beta experiences but at PAX I tried to play the game like I played morrowind or skyrim and it wasn't really possible. At least I didn't get the same "payback" for my efforts.

So sure, you will find chests among other thigns, quests, some other things I experienced in beta but from what I can talk about, PAX, I never got the "oh, there is a door in that hill, where does that lead" experience, in a satisfying way.

Don't want quests?  So what you are saying is you want to just randomly kill things and loot them, with no narrative structure of any kind?  Because if you avoid quests in Elder Scrolls games, that is all you are doing, killing and looting.  For most players, a game that consists of absolutely nothing but those two things is going to get boring relatively quickly.

That being said, there is stuff to kill and stuff to loot in ESO, even when you aren't on any quests, so I am not sure what your issue is.

The Force shall free me.

Originally posted by r3dl4nce

Sunrise rainbows and unicorns in a cloudless sky

Ecstatic fanboy is a bless for any game. Amen

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by asrlohz

I would like to see that in TESO too, but in all honesty, it was the same in Skyrim. You'd end up returning to places you'd already cleared which was just a bother. But of course it's even worse in TESO. But, I believe that they have added dungeons that will be without purpose other than to be explored. But I don't mind it too much, I want an MMO not a multiplayer TES game.

All in all, we should probably let them know how the (most likely) majority of the players feel about the lack of that feeling you described (Highlighted). I'm sure that if it isn't in now, they will most likely add it in the future. Maybe adventure zones?

Ecstatic fanboy is a bless for any game. Amen

I replied to your statements with truths that anyone partecipating in the last stress test did see by himself.

Now you reply this way.

Good reply!  /sarcasm

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

So, what you're saying is you aren't a fan of the Elder Scrolls?  Because minimalist UI is a hallmark of the series dating back to before it offered console versions.  It's not a matter of "by design it's for console" it's a case of "by design it's an Elder Scrolls game."

And I've played FFXIV, it's not a fair comparison.

Don't want quests?  So what you are saying is you want to just randomly kill things and loot them, with no narrative structure of any kind?  Because if you avoid quests in Elder Scrolls games, that is all you are doing, killing and looting.  For most players, a game that consists of absolutely nothing but those two things is going to get boring relatively quickly.

That being said, there is stuff to kill and stuff to loot in ESO, even when you aren't on any quests, so I am not sure what your issue is.

Are you actually judging how I play these games?

I supply the narrative structure.

As another point of fact, my roommate, who doens't play video games except the Elder Scrolls games (funny enough) hardly does ANY quests.

That's the beauty of the last few ES games.

I've played several Betas so you don't need to tell me what the game offers. And I can't go into a comparative "analysis" between ESO and say skyrim/morrowind/oblvion because of the NDA.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Are you actually judging how I play these games?

I supply the narrative structure.

As another point of fact, my roommate, who doens't play video games except the Elder Scrolls games (funny enough) hardly does ANY quests.

That's the beauty of the last few ES games.

I've played several Betas so you don't need to tell me what the game offers. And I can't go into a comparative "analysis" between ESO and say skyrim/morrowind/oblvion because of the NDA.

Not judging it, confused and trying to understand it.  The unmodded, developer created versions of Elder Scrolls games are built around questing and a provided narrative structure.  In each of the games, you are playing a specific character with a pre-defined story.  If you choose to participate in any of the sub-stories, they are pre-defined as well.  The only way to functionally have your own narrative is through mods, at which point you are no longer playing an Elder Scrolls game, you are playing something else using the engine from the Elder Scrolls game.

I just have a little trouble wrapping my head around people who claim to be fans of a game series, but appear to have little or no interest in most of the actual content in that game series.  It's like someone claiming to be a fan of WoW and then doing absolutely nothing in the game but kill boars in the forest.  That's not a WoW fan, it's just someone who likes to kill virtual boars in the woods.

The Force shall free me.

This discussion has been closed.