Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Living Story VS. Expansion, Fight!

Comments

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

As if it has to be Living Story or Expansion.

It is Living Story AND Expansion.

1 year without an expansion the tragedy!

WoW - 2004.

The Burning Crusafe - 2007.

In GW2 you can level up to max in few days. There were no people level 60 in 1 month. For most people it took 3-6 months. Then you had BL, Zul Gurub, Ahn Quiraj event and raid and Naxx prio BC.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Patches/1.x - way more than GW2 living (temporary) stories.

Edit: Yep - they will need expansion, very soon if they want to keep people playing.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Arthasm

As if it has to be Living Story or Expansion.

It is Living Story AND Expansion.

1 year without an expansion the tragedy!

WoW - 2004.

The Burning Crusafe - 2007.

In GW2 you can level up to max in few days. There were no people level 60 in 1 month. For most people it took 3-6 months. Then you had BL, Zul Gurub, Ahn Quiraj event and raid and Naxx prio BC.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Patches/1.x - way more than GW2 living (temporary) stories.

Edit: Yep - they will need expansion, very soon if they want to keep people playing.

You mean the level of grinding was high in WoW.

Sure.

But one can level to 80 in GW2 without having touched half the game.

If one wants to grind there is loads of grinding available.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Sure.

Why would you want to though? The world isn't that interesting (most zones are very similar to each other only really differeing in which set of baddies populate them) and you get very little if any progression after level 60. So it would be literal grind for nothing. Sorry if I want to play a game just for the fun gameplay I can think of many I'd choose before GW2. People play MMOs for a sense of progression, as much as I rag on Blizzard, even they understand that but ANet doesn't seem to.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Recklan
    Originally posted by reaperuk
    Originally posted by nttajira

people wanted some kind of f2p ?? you got it !!! now you are not happy they dont work on it ??

they would do it for free ??

you think they will work and add actual contents based on charity ? guild war 2 got a okay cash shop but not one who require the player to buy from it all the time,so im guessing they get not that much money from it......

you guy wanted FREE TO PLAY ? well you got it, but they are not working for add contents because no one work for free...

back to my P2P game i guess 

Funny. As far as I recall, expansions have always been paid for in every game I've played whether p2p, f2p or btp . I'd be interested to know which p2p game you play gives away it's full expansions?

EVE Online.

/Thread

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101

Funny. As far as I recall, expansions have always been paid for in every game I've played whether p2p, f2p or btp . I'd be interested to know which p2p game you play gives away it's full expansions?

Eve Online.

EDIT: Damn, too late...

• ShainnaShainna Member UncommonPosts: 58

As nice an idea this "Living Story" is if you don't or can't have the necessary time for it you'll miss most of it and will have a hard time keeping up with ingame stuff.

In my case i just gave up on it, i log in and play and simply don't count on the living story for it. If something appears as i play i go for it if not i'm not bothered.

Might be a minority but at this point i just don't care.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Yeah the guy talking about subs must have never played GW2, they churn out content faster than just about anyone.

The living story content in general is just awful though so I'd rather see them just go the expansion path. I'd rather consume a large new chunk of content rather than a bunch of little chunks.

• bhimabhima Member Posts: 81
    Originally posted by Thessik_Irontail

Living story updates are a fine idea, but they are not a replacement for actual meaningful robust content that an expansion provides.

GW2 is a terribly designed game. However it is clearly the Free to Play jewel. It is a lesson that if you want meaningful updates then you need a sub fee to fund it. WoW has regular meaningful updates, while the world of GW2 looks very much the same as it did when it launched.

This should be a lesson to the cheap, dumb, or broke players who promote F2P MMOs. The reality is that games cost money, and everyone should pay their fair share.

Wait what?? WoW's updates come at a VERY slow pace even if SOME of them are actually good, not all of them were. Also, WoW expansions all took longer than 1.5 years to be released. Hell, BC took over 2 years before it was released. The payment model does not dictate how good/how frequent the content comes. That is up to the devs.

• DigironoDigirono Member Posts: 86

people wanted some kind of f2p ?? you got it !!! now you are not happy they dont work on it ??

you think they will work and add actual contents based on charity ? guild war 2 got a okay cash shop but not one who require the player to buy from it all the time,so im guessing they get not that much money from it......

you guy wanted FREE TO PLAY ? well you got it, but they are not working for add contents because no one work for free...

EVE Online always has..to memory that's the only one, though.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Originally posted by Digirono

Lineage 2 as well.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012
    Originally posted by iridescence

Sure.

Why would you want to though? The world isn't that interesting (most zones are very similar to each other only really differeing in which set of baddies populate them) and you get very little if any progression after level 60. So it would be literal grind for nothing. Sorry if I want to play a game just for the fun gameplay I can think of many I'd choose before GW2. People play MMOs for a sense of progression, as much as I rag on Blizzard, even they understand that but ANet doesn't seem to.

Legendaries, about the only reason TO grind in the game. And they've implemented them in a way that arbitrarily wastes the players time, or forces them to fork over such an amount of gold that it actively encourages the player to transfer real cash into gems to buy gold.

One of the biggest reasons I had stopped playing the game honestly. Meaningful progression in some manner. World of Warcraft, for all it's faults, at least started doing something amazing with their legendary items. They involved them in the lore, in the game in a way that actually makes them FEEL legendary. As if the item you obtained has some actual value outside of it's grind.

Guild Wars 2 has none of that. It has the same repetitive grind for every single "legendary", without variation besides a gift or two, and again arbitrarily limits your ability to "earn" them by locking it down to two per players. And how? By forcing you to have to create, level, and explore the map to 100% on another character just to get two more items needed to make two more gifts, so you can make two more of the legendaries.

The mechanic should never force a player to make more than one character JUST to obtain something. I look at the Juggernaut mace, or the shield with the book, or the greatswords that have a shard of night or day in them, and what do I see? Fancy pixels, nothing more.

You look at Shadowmourne though? At the Fangs of the Father? At the Cloaks? There is story there. Players had to work through something that involved more than "Gather 250 of all crafting mats!" or "Play in something you hate, just to get 500 of these!". Did it have a "kill" count to go up through? Did it have an obnoxious rep system for Mists? Yeah. It could use some real adjustments, but WoW's legendaries are worlds above what GW2 offers. Heck, even Guild Wars 1 "legendaries" like the Obsidian armor offer more than GW2.

I'd love to meet the crazy fellow who made the Predator rifle, or the bow that shoots unicorn heads. Or perhaps the painter who managed to capture the night sky in the blade of a weapon. Or the creature whose fang is the source of that axe. Instead, I have to PvP even if I hate it, I have to play through Explorable versions of a dungeon, even if no player in the game actually does said dungeon in that mode, I have to grind monsters for "precursor" bait and crafting mats or settle for paying the insane cost of gold for them because players now have that option to turn real money into gold, which has affected the economy in a way that isn't entirely good.

• Vexus_XVexus_X Member UncommonPosts: 57

What Guild Wars 2 needs to do:

- Introduce an enemy faction, a whole new side to the game and world, and make it a new set of player races

- Enable open world PvP, or at least one server with this enabled

The problem with GW2 is the 'world' gets boring. PvP is fun but has nothing random to it. It needs Alliance vs. Horde angst, and some humans to fight against while doing events and completing quests.

If they work on this and pull it off, GW2 will be the first game that gets 11/10.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    It would be cool if they had a server were you actually fought races that were not the same as the people in your guild.  So copy paste I want to vomit.

• Uzur9Uzur9 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by halfmystic

The problem with The Living Story is the non-perminant content. It makes me people like me unwilling to even bother continuing to play if you can't do content that gives achievements and titles due to it being taken away.

The perfectionist in me that does every achievement possible in MMORPGs HATES the living story because of this.

If I'm focusing on doing something like getting items to obtain my legendary weapon, but then getting FORCED  into getting the achievements due to the small time frame, thus putting off my legendary weapon grind, becomes very tedius and annoying after a while.

This game would be -perfect- if it had PERMINANT living story content. Anything else is just a huge disappointment.

I feel the same way.       I guess I'm still waiting for an expansions  or just something bigger then Living Story stuff to bring me back.   I login to GW1 more then I do GW2.

• RavenwolfieRavenwolfie Member Posts: 46
    I hope they do expansions, the game is certainly set up for it. I just hope the first one is fairly soon and opens up Cantha particularly bringing back the Ritualist class and it would be nice if they FINALLY open up Polymock, gateway has been sitting there broken forever.
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Vexus_X

What Guild Wars 2 needs to do:

- Introduce an enemy faction, a whole new side to the game and world, and make it a new set of player races

- Enable open world PvP, or at least one server with this enabled

The problem with GW2 is the 'world' gets boring. PvP is fun but has nothing random to it. It needs Alliance vs. Horde angst, and some humans to fight against while doing events and completing quests.

If they work on this and pull it off, GW2 will be the first game that gets 11/10.

It also need meaningful endgame character progression.

• BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345
    It's time for an expansion. The living story doesn't interest me. I played all of the first Guild Wars expansions and look forward to them. It may be more work for the developers, but will pay off in the long run.
  • LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

I'm not sure why I can't get back into this game.  It was entertaining to play through the story, get my own personal bucket list done with exploration and dungeons, but it is missing a replayablity factor for me.  With no sub, it seems like it would be easy to log in and just do something, anything, but I can't bring myself to do it.

With other games, even with poorly thought out endgame, there is a sense of progressing your character, even slowly.  In GW2, I could grind for hours for something that is no better gear-wise, just a different skin to it. 

Bottom line, the lack of character advancement hurts more than the lack of trinity.     

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

WoW...I could be the only person on this site that likes the living story. I'd like to see an expansion and a Holy Trinity -  but some of the Living expansions have been a ton of fun - no joke. I suggest people go back and check out the Scarlet invasion finale coming up.

I really liked the tower of nightmares and the gauntlet event. Those were pretty nice too. I am impressed with Arenanet ability to put out content cheaply and yet still find it pretty good.

When you consider WoW has ten times the budget to work with - and puts out less between expansions.

• goofy3kgoofy3k Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Eve online for one?
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by GuyClinch

When you consider WoW has ten times the budget to work with - and puts out less between expansions.

Quality over quantity......

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Kuro1n

Lineage 2 as well.

Wushu does too.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272

I am all in for an expansion, but really everything those Anet people tell is: no expansion, we don't need one. They might not need one, but imho the players strongly do. Chris Whiteside told something about the development after the storyarc with beloved Scarlet would start with a huge bang. Considering how ArenaNet is always boasting while announcing things, this huge bang will be the sister island of sunset cove though.  :p

Yes, we need an expansion! Honestly, but we won't get one.

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283

Ok, so I already know this is a multi player game so no need to remind, but, with the living story, it is too dam hard to solo and groups are not always possible, especially when players are all over the world. Anyone ever seen a solo player kill a legendary boss while dodging 50 other assorted champions, vets etc, me either!!!

As for expansion, it depends on what might be on offer, but most likely I would not buy it!

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by Lugors

I'm not sure why I can't get back into this game.  It was entertaining to play through the story, get my own personal bucket list done with exploration and dungeons, but it is missing a replayablity factor for me.  With no sub, it seems like it would be easy to log in and just do something, anything, but I can't bring myself to do it.

With other games, even with poorly thought out endgame, there is a sense of progressing your character, even slowly.  In GW2, I could grind for hours for something that is no better gear-wise, just a different skin to it. 

Bottom line, the lack of character advancement hurts more than the lack of trinity.     

Agreed!!!