Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overestimate IP?

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

there are enough people willing to pay per month for a good, solid game. wow is proving that every day again (7 million is way more than enough to count as proven)

the f2p market is basically overrun by random clones from asia and the rest of the world.

so why not go for a market that is basically dominated by one game?

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by sapphen

What makes you think playing ESO would be anything like playing a TES game with friends?  As many people stated before, this isn't the single player games nor is it Skyrim Online - this is a MMO - Zenimax choose to make the game like a MMO and not like a single player game.  Playing this game with friends would be like playing any other MMO with friends.

This is a bunch of nonsense, as much as Zeni's apologist attitude in regards to why they chose to make the game the way they did. 

There's more than just WoW, and there is no singular way in which an MMO must play.  They lead devs came out and said they chose to make TESO the way they did so it would be familiar to the majority of MMO gamers, and he was very much referring to all the people who are playing a single game, World of Warcraft. 

They sited world of warcraft numerous times in the reveal article in game informer, and it wasn't a mistake.  Firor was very clear that they wanted to attract more than just ES fans, and in order to do that they needed to make the game as much like existing MMO's as possible. 

It was a MARKETTING CHOICE, not a requirement dictated by the genre.  There's more than one way to make an MMO, however most MMO gamers are familiar with a single game, WoW. 

Oh man, I completely agree with you.  They could've made a really cool MMO that would've done TES justice. 

The problem was no one from zenimax trusted The Elder Scrolls brand.  They wanted to make something for WoW players, they wanted to recreate DAoC AvA, throw in a touch of GW2 and SWTOR - they never wanted to make a TES game in the first place.

ESO is like going to Taco Bell and ordering a cheeseburger.

• maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83

Actually they've evaluated there ip very well, People buy because of its "Elder Scroll with Multiplayer!!!" there are still a lot of people who think their getting oblivion/skyrim with multiplayer.  Then there's the Subscription elitist who will buy the game simply because they think the sub model guarantees them a good game and continual content, it doesn't but you cant convince them otherwise.  They're already building a cash shop to back the game.

So I see it going down like this, they will milk the box sales and subs as long as they can and once the new felling wears off and they cant deliver on the continual content they'll move to a sudo f2p model and sustain the game off of cash shop sells.

I love the TES series I love the lore and the world and while I like Bethesda for giving me the series I not going to look past the series history which is one full of bugs and glitchs.  So to think a team pulled to gather from Bethesdas outlying developers is going to deliver on a stable mmo experience is silly they can barely pull off delivering on a stable game.

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by -aLpHa-  

Originally posted by Amjoco

Originally posted by PsychoPigeon It'll be free to play within the year. You cannot make a generic MMO and expect people to continue to pay monthly, you have to give them a reason to do so and for a themepark game, that's very challenging. What a waste of an Elder Scrolls title.
    I'm not sure a lot of people get this, but here is my thoughts. Whenever I play Skyrim, or any of the ES games, I always wished I could play them with friends. I have even told friends and family, I would pay for this feature! Now, here is a chance to do just that. I'm not sure why everyone wants something for free, or thinks they should get a certain something for nothing.   Also, why do you believe it is a waste of the title when it is an exceptional way to bring fans together?  
    So the actual gameplay, open ended, do whatever, be whatever you want style game that has always defined the elder scrolls series wasn't important, just the name of the locations?      I always said the same thing about any of the elder scrolls games, wish I could play them with friends; I'm still saying that.  GW2 is already out there, and DAoC has been around for like a decade; I could play either of them and have the same basic experience as TESO, but playing TESO isn't going to be the same experience as playing Skyrim.    Anyone that says TESO is like playing Skyrim with your friends is being misleading, because it's nothing like Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, or Daggerfall.    It's pretty clear at this point that TESO isn't really deviating from what MMO's have been doing for quite some time now, and this is what the OP and a lot of others are saying.  Zeni/ and Bethesda are simply banking on people being willing to pay a sub play a generic MMO with the Elder scrolls name.    Firor, or whatever his name is, was pretty clear in almost every early interview that they were playing it safe with TESO.  The guys in charge of the game came right out and said they want TESO to be familiar to world of warcraft players so that they could jump right in and know exactly what they were getting, but in the Elder scrolls setting.   And so many of you wonder why so many people are disappointed in TESO before it ever releases?  Maybe it's because so many fans of the series have always wanted to play an online or co-op version of the game, not WoW/ DAoC/ GW2/ ToR.    I'm a fan of the civilization games, I'd be pretty upset if they announced Civ 6 was a real time strategy game.  It shouldn't be a shock that TESO isn't being received with open arms by "the fans".   
      I wouldn't mind if ESO has the same quality or gameplay like WoW... Then at least i would play it but if this is their definition of copying WoW, then they are trolling or delusional.
    You can get that exact same quality of gameplay in WoW, GW2, DAoC, and ToR. 

There are no quality Elder scrolls like MMO's on the market however.  The closet we have is Mortal Online, and "quality" isn't something that that games brings to mind. 

It's more accurate to say that if you want to play an online version of skyrim, play Mortal Online. 

It would be misleading to say that TESO is like playing any past Elder scrolls game online.  To say it's more like playing guild wars 2 would be a heck of a lot more accurate.  GW2 is nothing like any previous Elder scrolls game. 

Sorry i wasn't clear, what i meant was that if this is their attempt to copy WoW, then it's a very poor job.

Quote from your original post:

<Firor, or whatever his name is, was pretty clear in almost every early interview that they were playing it safe with TESO. The guys in charge of the game came right out and said they want TESO to be familiar to world of warcraft players so that they could jump right in and know exactly what they were getting, but in the Elder scrolls setting.>

I am referring to this, just because WoW became the measuring stick for every Themepark out there doesn't mean it's easy to copy WoW, just because the Lead Producer said so.

I am still laughing.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

It's a bigger IP than Warcraft was when WoW came out.. so...

Star wars was a big IP.. but none of the games were anywhere near as successful as the last three elder scrolls.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Shoko_Lied
    Most companies go with a single payment model. Either B2P, P2P, or Cash shop. ESO is seriously combining all three of these payment models into this game... What makes ESO so much more special than every other MMORPG out there that they felt that making it the most expensive MMORPG to play ever not a dou**** penny pinching idea?

Only in this day and age do we see complaints about having to pay monthly for a product.  I wonder how long before Netflicks goes F2P with a cash shop...oh wait, that's Redbox?  lol. 

• CatAtomic99CatAtomic99 Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Originally posted by SNAFUdamus
    Originally posted by danisheraser

No worries, there a lots of people who will pay for being able to play Elder Scrolls Online. It's just all these cheap asses here, who thinks everything should be free. Pathetic. And this goes with nearly every damn game that comes out.

"I want free, I want free, I want I want I want"

I prefer to pay for a game actually. F2P usually just means garbage. I just have zero interest in playing the game.

Yep. F2P games have the worst playerbases. Going free to play demolishes the game's community, flooding it with exactly the people you don't want in your game.

Having said that, I think this one will be free to play within the year. The hype isn't going to help it, as it's probably the most boring game I've played in years, and the expectations are just going to make the reality seem all that much worse.

Not trying to be 'that guy' or anything, but it just feels like the designers were playing it as safe as they possibly could, using every cliche and overused game element they could think of. It's the saltine cracker of MMOs.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Adokas
    It's pretty normal that you have to buy the game. Digital or box, whatever. Subs are also pretty normal. That's what most MMOs have gone with. Box+sub. Same as ESO. ESO is also going to have a shop for services. Namechange, account, etc, and fluff. Basically the same as WoW, for instance.

I could see for maybe REAL fluff like name changes and or server changes but  anything else NO WAY.That is why i no longer support SOE pure greed and trying to rip off customers is not a good way to do business.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    I'm playing the beta and I must be missing something....I'm not an elder scrolls fan, and I have no preference when it songs to theme park vs sandbox...but the negativity towards this title confuses me. I'm looking for it....I can't find it...I likeit
  • ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by CatAtomic99

No worries, there a lots of people who will pay for being able to play Elder Scrolls Online. It's just all these cheap asses here, who thinks everything should be free. Pathetic. And this goes with nearly every damn game that comes out.

I prefer to pay for a game actually. F2P usually just means garbage. I just have zero interest in playing the game.

Yep. F2P games have the worst playerbases. Going free to play demolishes the game's community, flooding it with exactly the people you don't want in your game.

From this site you can see the type of people that are drawn to F2P games.  I stay with sub games and far away from the F2P crap.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by onlinenow25
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon
    It'll be free to play within the year. You cannot make a generic MMO and expect people to continue to pay monthly, you have to give them a reason to do so and for a themepark game, that's very challenging. What a waste of an Elder Scrolls title.

I'm not sure a lot of people get this, but here is my thoughts. Whenever I play Skyrim, or any of the ES games, I always wished I could play them with friends. I have even told friends and family, I would pay for this feature! Now, here is a chance to do just that. I'm not sure why everyone wants something for free, or thinks they should get a certain something for nothing.  

Also, why do you believe it is a waste of the title when it is an exceptional way to bring fans together?

Your NOT getting that.

This is not Skyrim Multiplayer this is ESO.  It will be nothing like your experience in Skyrim because they can't give you that.  They can't give you and your friend the option to kill any vender or any NPC in the game.  THey can't give you the option to go where you please because its focused on always online, and a 'persistent' world.

So don't kid your self.  This is NOT Skyrim Multiplayer, this is ESO.

The game is what I make of it.  I never even said or thought it would be the same expereince, I know it is a watered down version. Watered down because the graphics and the overall  intensity of the game can not be the same due to multiplayer. What I can do though is enjoy the lore that is part of the game and not destroy it before I have given it the actual chance like so many others have done.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by ElirionLoth

From this site you can see the type of people that are drawn to F2P games.  I stay with sub games and far away from the F2P crap.

I'm curious as to what sub games are still available besides WoW and Eve that are worth the money. I'm not being snarky, just wanted to see what you are playing so I may get a chance to enjoy it also! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Zenimax was over-estimating the value of the IP from the moment this game was conceived.

People are tired of paying for mediocre MMOs, no matter the payment model.

Apparently, the lesson that TOR taught the industry, in that respect, was missed or too late.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    It'll be free to play within the year. You cannot make a generic MMO and expect people to continue to pay monthly, you have to give them a reason to do so and for a themepark game, that's very challenging. What a waste of an Elder Scrolls title.

I'm not sure a lot of people get this, but here is my thoughts. Whenever I play Skyrim, or any of the ES games, I always wished I could play them with friends. I have even told friends and family, I would pay for this feature! Now, here is a chance to do just that. I'm not sure why everyone wants something for free, or thinks they should get a certain something for nothing.  

Also, why do you believe it is a waste of the title when it is an exceptional way to bring fans together?

Your NOT getting that.

This is not Skyrim Multiplayer this is ESO.  It will be nothing like your experience in Skyrim because they can't give you that.  They can't give you and your friend the option to kill any vender or any NPC in the game.  THey can't give you the option to go where you please because its focused on always online, and a 'persistent' world.

The videos sure look a lot like multiplayer Skyrim with the added bonus of not being stuck in Skyrim. Sticking pots on shopkeeps' heads isn't a dealbreaker for me. We still get Elder Scrolls combat, exploration and dungeon delving but with friends while keeping a story. I'm not seeing a downside.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Shoko_Lied
    Most companies go with a single payment model. Either B2P, P2P, or Cash shop. ESO is seriously combining all three of these payment models into this game... What makes ESO so much more special than every other MMORPG out there that they felt that making it the most expensive MMORPG to play ever not a dou**** penny pinching idea?

It's a business.  Which means they will try to find new ways to get your money.

I completely disagree with you here.  It won't be the most expensive MMO if you don't want it to be.  You pay a sub, that's it.  The sub fee is as expensive as just about any other MMO sub fee.  Then you have options for other things if you feel so inclined to participate.  I won't be taking part.  You aren't forced to either.

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Originally posted by ElirionLoth

I'm curious as to what sub games are still available besides WoW and Eve that are worth the money. I'm not being snarky, just wanted to see what you are playing so I may get a chance to enjoy it also! :)

If devs make a game that people love they will pay a sub, but they also need to keep new content coming out on a regular basis and not just little shiny content but real content.  I will not play free to play MMOs, cant stand the model and i am sure there are people who wont play subscription games because they dont like it either.  But if people are having a blast in a MMO they will pay it because the value of entertainment is there.

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Originally posted by Beastn
    I'm playing the beta and I must be missing something....I'm not an elder scrolls fan, and I have no preference when it songs to theme park vs sandbox...but the negativity towards this title confuses me. I'm looking for it....I can't find it...I likeit

Exactly what i have been saying for a long time.  There are way more MMO players than Elder Scrolls fans.  Everybody just thinks on here that it has to be exactly like the Elder Scrolls games.  No it doesnt, it has to be a good MMO first because its in the MMO genre in every single way they designed it pretty much.   Also people will say then why are they using the IP then,  well because they own the IP and its America and they have the right to do what they want to with the IP that they own.  If i own a business i can run it however i want as long as its legal.  And they decided to make a MMO in the Elder Scolls world and not a multiplayer Skyrim game.  People need to accept that.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Idk RvR in ESO's world is pretty damn cool.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by flguy147
    Originally posted by Beastn

Exactly what i have been saying for a long time.  There are way more MMO players than Elder Scrolls fans.  Everybody just thinks on here that it has to be exactly like the Elder Scrolls games.  No it doesnt, it has to be a good MMO first because its in the MMO genre in every single way they designed it pretty much.   Also people will say then why are they using the IP then,  well because they own the IP and its America and they have the right to do what they want to with the IP that they own.  If i own a business i can run it however i want as long as its legal.  And they decided to make a MMO in the Elder Scolls world and not a multiplayer Skyrim game.  People need to accept that.

Hmmm.

Absolutely nothing to do with Zenimax owning the ES brand in this context. EA use the FIFA brand and John Madden's name to market their football games - they don't own those IPs. (Nothing to do with it being America either!)

Agree that TESO will have to be a "good" "mmo" game. What constitutes good or an mmo can be debated but not reaching a certain level of quality constitutes a reason to dump the game or not buy it.

If it is "good enough" however why would people leave WoW or BF4 or whatever to play TESO. (TESO being slated to launch on consoles of course.) Zenimax's answer: because it is Elder Scrolls. Other messages for sure but ES is the number one answer pre-launch. 

Does it need to be "exactly" like ES - I know what you mean but brands can be ephemeral, hard to define; very touchy feely. When things become defined is when third parties move in, price becomes the key selling point and brands lose their appeal.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Originally posted by PsychoPigeon It'll be free to play within the year. You cannot make a generic MMO and expect people to continue to pay monthly, you have to give them a reason to do so and for a themepark game, that's very challenging. What a waste of an Elder Scrolls title.
    I'm not sure a lot of people get this, but here is my thoughts. Whenever I play Skyrim, or any of the ES games, I always wished I could play them with friends. I have even told friends and family, I would pay for this feature! Now, here is a chance to do just that. I'm not sure why everyone wants something for free, or thinks they should get a certain something for nothing.   Also, why do you believe it is a waste of the title when it is an exceptional way to bring fans together?  
    So the actual gameplay, open ended, do whatever, be whatever you want style game that has always defined the elder scrolls series wasn't important, just the name of the locations?      I always said the same thing about any of the elder scrolls games, wish I could play them with friends; I'm still saying that.  GW2 is already out there, and DAoC has been around for like a decade; I could play either of them and have the same basic experience as TESO, but playing TESO isn't going to be the same experience as playing Skyrim.    Anyone that says TESO is like playing Skyrim with your friends is being misleading, because it's nothing like Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, or Daggerfall.    It's pretty clear at this point that TESO isn't really deviating from what MMO's have been doing for quite some time now, and this is what the OP and a lot of others are saying.  Zeni/ and Bethesda are simply banking on people being willing to pay a sub play a generic MMO with the Elder scrolls name.    Firor, or whatever his name is, was pretty clear in almost every early interview that they were playing it safe with TESO.  The guys in charge of the game came right out and said they want TESO to be familiar to world of warcraft players so that they could jump right in and know exactly what they were getting, but in the Elder scrolls setting.   And so many of you wonder why so many people are disappointed in TESO before it ever releases?  Maybe it's because so many fans of the series have always wanted to play an online or co-op version of the game, not WoW/ DAoC/ GW2/ ToR.    I'm a fan of the civilization games, I'd be pretty upset if they announced Civ 6 was a real time strategy game.  It shouldn't be a shock that TESO isn't being received with open arms by "the fans".   
      I wouldn't mind if ESO has the same quality or gameplay like WoW... Then at least i would play it but if this is their definition of copying WoW, then they are trolling or delusional.

There are no quality Elder scrolls like MMO's on the market however.  The closet we have is Mortal Online, and "quality" isn't something that that games brings to mind. 

It's more accurate to say that if you want to play an online version of skyrim, play Mortal Online. 

It would be misleading to say that TESO is like playing any past Elder scrolls game online.  To say it's more like playing guild wars 2 would be a heck of a lot more accurate.  GW2 is nothing like any previous Elder scrolls game. 

Sorry i wasn't clear, what i meant was that if this is their attempt to copy WoW, then it's a very poor job.

Quote from your original post:

I am referring to this, just because WoW became the measuring stick for every Themepark out there doesn't mean it's easy to copy WoW, just because the Lead Producer said so.

I am still laughing.

Not "copy".  Provide a "familiar" experience; which is exactly what they said when they announced the game. 

Their intent was to provide an MMO experience that most people would immediately recognize and be able to understand.  It was there justification for making a game more like your typical themepark MMO and less like the sandbox nature of all previous Elder scrolls titles. 

Reread what you quoted me saying. 

• JjixJjix Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Idk RvR in ESO's world is pretty damn cool.

Hmmmmm.

Coming from a fan of Age of Wushu that is saying something. Maybe I will give it another chance . . .

• ThelricThelric Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I've read enough about the IP to state it is being underestimated as well. While not a hardcore fan, I'm enough of a fan to state the game has potential and ideas to keep the content coming for a long time. There hass certainly been worst mmo's with more success. This is a nice refreshment from the infestation of the freemium games out there.
  • artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by sketocafe

I think they've overestimated it in the sense that they've stretched and mangled it to cram it into a shape that it just doesn't fit. The Elder Scrolls IP is strong enough to sell Elder Scrolls games. This isn't an Elder Scrolls game, this is an MMO with an Elder Scrolls skin. I may get this in the end to play me some ES flavored MMO, but I won't be buying this at launch to play an Elder Scrolls game. 

That is exactly what players should be thinking. They are going to be playing a MMO based on the ES games. Then they might actually enjoy the game. Anyone thinking this will be a co op ES will be disappointed. Even if it had the best design ever. It will be an MMO with features that go with the genre.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305

So the actual gameplay, open ended, do whatever, be whatever you want style game that has always defined the elder scrolls series wasn't important, just the name of the locations? 

I always said the same thing about any of the elder scrolls games, wish I could play them with friends; I'm still saying that.  GW2 is already out there, and DAoC has been around for like a decade; I could play either of them and have the same basic experience as TESO, but playing TESO isn't going to be the same experience as playing Skyrim. 

Anyone that says TESO is like playing Skyrim with your friends is being misleading, because it's nothing like Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, or Daggerfall. 

It's pretty clear at this point that TESO isn't really deviating from what MMO's have been doing for quite some time now, and this is what the OP and a lot of others are saying.  Zeni/ and Bethesda are simply banking on people being willing to pay a sub play a generic MMO with the Elder scrolls name. 

Firor, or whatever his name is, was pretty clear in almost every early interview that they were playing it safe with TESO.  The guys in charge of the game came right out and said they want TESO to be familiar to world of warcraft players so that they could jump right in and know exactly what they were getting, but in the Elder scrolls setting.

And so many of you wonder why so many people are disappointed in TESO before it ever releases? 

Maybe it's because so many fans of the series have always wanted to play an online or co-op version of the game, not WoW/ DAoC/ GW2/ ToR. 

I'm a fan of the civilization games, I'd be pretty upset if they announced Civ 6 was a real time strategy game.  It shouldn't be a shock that TESO isn't being received with open arms by "the fans".   

I wouldn't mind if ESO has the same quality or gameplay like WoW...

Then at least i would play it but if this is their definition of copying WoW, then they are trolling or delusional.

I think you missed the many many posts saying this will not play like an Elder Scrolls game.  The targeting is not FPS, it looks FPS but its a soft lock similar to Neverwinter.  This is not going to be the game you think it is.

Is the IP really throwing people off that much about what this game is going to offer?

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by skeaser

Your NOT getting that.

The videos sure look a lot like multiplayer Skyrim with the added bonus of not being stuck in Skyrim. Sticking pots on shopkeeps' heads isn't a dealbreaker for me. We still get Elder Scrolls combat, exploration and dungeon delving but with friends while keeping a story. I'm not seeing a downside.

Its not Elder Scrolls combat.  It is not FPS based, if you think this, again you will have a bad time.