Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the next best MMO agreed upon by majority after GW2?

Okay so quick background check on me so you guys can see what I'm onto and so I may further express my question and also so you guys may understand what I'm asking for better.

So I've always been a heavy MMO guy but before I played GW2 back in Sept of '12 I was mostly a Free-to-play MMO person(I think I tried 80% of every available f2p mmo that was in english and that wasn't region locked or ip banned). Played em for a max of 3 months then I'd move to the next game and occasionally come back for a month or a half on the game then leave it for good. Then after getting lazy at the sub par quality of most of these games I thought of actually going pay to play but then I found out about GW2 and it's "buy to play" method and knew this was one game that fit my preferred payment method better than p2p. And boy was GW2 amazing, played it for a year before I got bored of the weak updates(it was to be expected of course as it wouldn't be well funded enough to produce high quality patches/updates unlike p2p). And so I took a well deserved break to find the next well rounded MMO, and came across FFXIV ARR. I had heard about this game back when it was a disaster so didn't pay much attention to it, but then I found out it was being relaunched along with a nearly complete overhaul of everything coupled with the rave reviews I thought this game would be it. I already did some digging to know it would be a gear grind based MMO, but lots of reviewers talked about how it was so refined and polished that the overall game would be an entirely different experience from other gear treadmill MMO's. Having played ROM and experienced the tedious dungeon grinding I had sworn to myself to never play another of those hardcore mainstream gear-hunting focused MMO's like WOW(didn't play WOW tho as I was a f2p'er before GW2), but the feedback from ARR was so overwhelmingly positive that it seemed the game would be the successor as the best MMO over GW2. And so it was, for a month. The combat was definitely polished in my opinion, but I still had the lingering dislike on gear grinds and it was apparent ARR would be taking this path. But one thing that kept nagging my mind was the idea of consistent updates that moslty would NOT be crap, like soon there would be new areas to explore and the idea of new classes was enticing as well. Then the time came that my 1 month free that came with the purchase was up. Even with all the refinement in ARR it just didn't have the "click" I instantly had with GW2. And maybe I was just lucky that my first AAA MMO turned out to be a revolutionary masterpiece in the MMO genre. But so far I'd like to explore other p2p or b2p MMO's out there. I heard Secret World was good, watched the gameplay and it looked interesting though I have never played a modern setting MMO other than RAN iirc, and so I'm having second thoughts. I've only tried Skyrim for a couple of hours so I'm not really acquainted with ESO. So what do you guys think are some really good time consuming play-me-for-a-year-or-more MMO's out there that are well worth the price? I'd try them all but I kinda don't wanna waste money

Comments

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

First thing's first:  Paragraphs.  Use them.

Second:  Your post is seems to assume GW2 is the best MMO out there.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  "Revolutionary Masterpiece?"  Nice to meet you, Colin Johanson.  

Third:  WildStar is the answer.  

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    ARR is the best MMO on the market.  I only stopped playing because I leveled a tank to 41 before I realized how much of a chore tanking is in that game and have no desire to re-play 41 levels as a DPS class.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

World of Warcraft, Star Trek Online, Eve Online, TERA, etc.

Take your pick.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Uh, I didn't really find GW2 to be anything near the best.   I know it had a lot of hype around here, and people were essentially begging for it to save them from the evil WoW, but that didn't exactly pan out.  I'm seeing the exact same trend now with Wildstar, though, so I guess you could say that is taking GW2's place in a sense.

You make me like charity

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    You should edit GW2 out of your block of text OP, now the entire thread will be based about it being the legitimate leader.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    You should edit GW2 out of your block of text OP, now the entire thread will be based about it being the legitimate leader.

You should listen to Amjoco on this one. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but around here if your opinion is that you like GW2, then you're wrong.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• blacksun23blacksun23 Member Posts: 6

I guess it was just really refreshing for me to play an MMO that had a nearly nonexistent stat-focused gear grind. I found the incredibly mobile combat lots of fun too as before GW2 it was mostly point and click F2P's.  TERA has my country IP banned unfortunately. I guess Wildstar it is, even though I'm not too fond of it's graphics

And totally agree, tanking in ARR is incredibly strenuous in certain boss fights.

• ViperDragonViperDragon Member UncommonPosts: 101
    SWTOR for me, but as others have said, I wouldn't say GW2 sets the standard.

A great list of free games (mostly MMORPGs): http://www.mytop10games.com/

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I don't even think the majority of people on this site think GW2 is the best mmorpg, let alone the majority of gamers. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by bcbully
    I don't even think the majority of people on this site think GW2 is the best mmorpg, let alone the majority of gamers. 

But would you really choose to play a game because it is one of the top 2 popular games?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    I think there are one too many GW2 thread created.  And most of them by people with no post count.
  • -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Guild Wars 1!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Nothing is "agree upon" here.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I agree

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I agree

You just broke the space-time continuum.. 

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by blacksun23

I guess it was just really refreshing for me to play an MMO that had a nearly nonexistent stat-focused gear grind. I found the incredibly mobile combat lots of fun too as before GW2 it was mostly point and click F2P's.  TERA has my country IP banned unfortunately. I guess Wildstar it is, even though I'm not too fond of it's graphics

And totally agree, tanking in ARR is incredibly strenuous in certain boss fights.

[mod edit]

Anyway. Wildstar is not going to be the next big thing, its too much like WoW and doesn't really do anything better. TESO will sell far more but will lose its players faster, perhaps even faster than SWTOR which is the biggest drop off in less than a year after release in MMO history. Archeage is a great game but wont sell millions due to the lack of advertising it will see, Bless and Ein will be in the same boat despite being great games. Blade and Soul wont sell great here because OMG NIPPLES!

I would look to EQ: Landmark, EQ: Next or even Shroud of the Avatar for the next big thing......and anything remotely innovative which Wildstar and TESO lack in.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

SWTOR for me. The only game I keep playing regularly.

Tried GW2 - played up to level 20 and can't make myself to play anymore.

Tried FFIV - the worst ever experience in MMO I've had - uninstalled.

Tried TSW and although I liked it, the horror style of the game is not to my liking - uninstalled.

Tried to go back to LOTRO for a change (have lifetime sub)... played one day and just blah.

Tried Tera - and I was repulsed by it - uninstalled.

Tried STO - could not pass through tutorial - uninstalled.

Sigh

In other words - each of us has a different definition of the best game. It's very personal. There is no such thing as the best or the worst MMOs. At least not at this moment.

Maybe one day one game will be able to capture all the good stuff... so far that did not happened.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

1st - TESO & EQNext

tied neck and neck followed closely by 

2nd - Archeage & Wildstar

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

1st - TESO & EQNext

tied neck and neck followed closely by 

2nd - Archeage & Wildstar

It's funny, that the best games are these which were not released yet /grin - at least not in US in case of Archage.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Hahaha...way to rile up the crowd OP. It's like you poked them on their most sensitive part of the body. XD

Anyway the next MMO I liked after GW2 is Neverwinter.

As for the upcoming ones, I don't have an opinion until I've tried them.

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Nasa

• EsuarfeeeeEsuarfeeee Member UncommonPosts: 91
    still wow best mmo

• heider89heider89 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    try out swtor am having a blast with it. 
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by Nasa

To me your graphical comment is saying "ya, you are right".

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

This discussion has been closed.