Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is PvP being focused on so much in an Elder Scrolls MMO?

RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

What is the Elder Scrolls IP so well known for and what do the fans love about the Elder Scrolls? The great PvE. So why is PvP being focused on so much?! I don't understand why Zenimax is making the incredibly unintelligent choice of totally ignoring the core player base of the Elder Scrolls' gamers. Most of us didn't play the Elder Scrolls' titles for it's PvP because it simply didn't exist.

We played it for it's awesome PvE experience which hasn't really even been highlighted at all in any articles or news info for TESO so I can only assume that an incredible PvE experience simply doesn't exist within TESO.

Smile

Comments

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    I hope they have equal amounts of PVE and PVP.  I think they may.  They do have I think 16 endgame dungeons and an Adventure Zone ready for launch which is their version of raids.  I don't know many MMOs that have much more endgame content than that at launch.  So I think they are fine.  Not only that, I think crafting will be more useful at endgame as well instead of being meaningless like many MMOs.   
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by flguy147
    I hope they have equal amounts of PVE and PVP.  I think they may.  They do have I think 16 endgame dungeons and an Adventure Zone ready for launch which is their version of raids.  I don't know many MMOs that have much more endgame content than that at launch.  So I think they are fine.  Not only that, I think crafting will be more useful at endgame as well instead of being meaningless like many MMOs.   

That isn't the kind of PvE content I am talking about at all. End game raiding is the equivalent of every other boring themepark out there. What made the Elder Scrolls special was quests that were interesting, exploration, and being able to just run out and do whatever you wanted without following some linear path.

From what I've seen so far this is Elder Scrolls: WoW Edition.

Smile

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by Razeekster
    What is the Elder Scrolls IP so well known for and what do the fans love about the Elder Scrolls? The great PvE. So why is PvP being focused on so much?! I don't understand why Zenimax is making the incredibly unintelligent choice of totally ignoring the core player base of the Elder Scrolls' gamers. Most of us didn't play the Elder Scrolls' titles for it's PvP because it simply didn't exist.

We played it for it's awesome PvE experience which hasn't really even been highlighted at all in any articles or news info for TESO so I can only assume that an incredible PvE experience simply doesn't exist within TESO.

The letter assumption you have is probably spot on, they may not have enough confidence in it or they choose to focus all their marketing effort on the PVP premise. Now that you mention it, i actually didn't read anything about PVE endgame on this game, at all, most articles are about Cyrodiil and it's Gold Tower. I only know that Molag Bal (Daedric Prince) seems to be the main antoganist.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

That isn't the kind of PvE content I am talking about at all. End game raiding is the equivalent of every other boring themepark out there. What made the Elder Scrolls special was quests that were interesting, exploration, and being able to just run out and do whatever you wanted without following some linear path.

yea and that is band thing then? not. you all can bash as much wow you want but it wont remove the fact its number on outhere so many years and if new game is wow with new candy its only good.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    There is more PvE content in the game then there is PvP. PvP or AvA as they call it is one hub of many in the game. Having a MMO today without a sold PvP plan is a fools move IMO. Sure there are some niche markets for a pure PvE game but you want too make real money you have something for everyone. Im more shocked there is no raids nor will there ever be by the devs current stand.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Because it's basically the only thing to do at endgame? I'm not aware of much else after leveling.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507

Well that maybe the kind of content YOU want but I want dungeons and Adventure Zones.  Also not everybody played ES games, not everybody thinks they are the greatest thing ever.  This is an MMO and is attracting a lot of MMO players that have never ever played one ES game.

Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Because it's basically the only thing to do at endgame? I'm not aware of much else after leveling.

Exploring the 50+ and 50++ maps (they are huge), maxing crafting and gaining the special recipes, Dungeons in hard mode (and there are lots of them), also a type of events thats like raids but not. Will take a large number of players but wont focus on one giant boss mob with people standing in a circle hitting its feet. Also they will be adding the other guilds. Unlocking special skill lines (some are going to be very hard to get) This is a few I know off the top of my head.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    What the Elder Scrolls IP is actually known for is single player games... hard to PVP with yourself.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227

The game is developed by the marketing division.

I assume that when they started with the project, the MMO community was craving for 3 faction PVP, so here we are, they are delivering us what we were lacking a few years ago.

Also, the fact that they mixed a class system with an open skill tree gives me the impression that they just didn't have the balls to go deep into a classless system. The marketing division probably pointed out that, based on the actual (couple years ago) market, going with a true open skill tree had less chances to be profitable than the good 'ol soup (classes with talent trees). So this is what we get today.

Just my 2 cents of course, what actually happened only zenimax knows.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

While I think pursuing quality PvP in a MMO is a folly regardless, for it to be enjoyable and worth doing at all PvP has to be central to the game's design. Look at past MMOs that have simply tacked on PvP- it's been absolutely horrendous.

Originally posted by Iselin
    What the Elder Scrolls IP is actually known for is single player games... hard to PVP with yourself.

Yes, but why even have PvP? No where is there an MMO rulebook out there that says "Every MMO has to have PvP." This MMO looks to me as if Bethesda is just whoring out the Elder Scrolls IP.

Smile

Yes, but why even have PvP? No where is there an MMO rulebook out there that says "Every MMO has to have PvP." This MMO looks to me as if Bethesda is just whoring out the Elder Scrolls IP.

Well that's a whole different, generic topic that has nothing to do with the elder scrolls IP.

Is there a AAA MMO out there somewhere that has no PVP? There might be, but I can't think of one.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by love-da-bush

The game is developed by the marketing division.

I assume that when they started with the project, the MMO community was craving for 3 faction PVP, so here we are, they are delivering us what we were lacking a few years ago.

Also, the fact that they mixed a class system with an open skill tree gives me the impression that they just didn't have the balls to go deep into a classless system. The marketing division probably pointed out that, based on the actual (couple years ago) market, going with a true open skill tree had less chances to be profitable than the good 'ol soup (classes with talent trees). So this is what we get today.

Just my 2 cents of course, what actually happened only zenimax knows.

This is by far the best class system I have seen in a long time. Problem with classes system is anyone grabs any skill they want. So when it comes to balancing combos of skills that are too powerful together. Most of the time its a nerf bat one X,Y,Z skill to get they whole system working again and to stop people using the same 3 cookie cutter builds to be OP. 

The 4 classes in this game only give you one skill line thats unique too that class. Thats it. You have one skill line no other class can have. After that you can pick any skill line you want in the game. Wana be a mage tank, go for it. Healer with a 2h sword, go for it. Want to be a jack off all trades, stelth, healing and dps in one package. Its there for you. Just grab the skill line you want and run with it. 

• JulkulaJulkula Member Posts: 21
    Of course they should focus on three faction pvp! Everyone wants it.

Well that's a whole different, generic topic that has nothing to do with the elder scrolls IP.

Is there a AAA MMO out there somewhere that has no PVP? There might be, but I can't think of one.

There are a few but are a niche market. Small MMOs with very small populations. What this thread needs to see is any IP brought to any new medium, movie, books, comics or a game. Needs too change the IP to fit the needs of that medium. MMOs require some elements to justify spending the money. Same with say a movie, would you watch a 32hr movie to make sure it kept 100% too the book?

• PigglesworthPigglesworth Member UncommonPosts: 260

Why not have PvP? Are you forced into it? No. Does it give some players an option to do something more challenging then killing the same set of mobs every day? Yes.

So, stop the meaningless hate and let players play like they want to. If you don't want to PvP, go kill raid mob 14 for the 2567th time.

@PigglesworthTWR on Twitter

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

Malcontent @ EQNexus.com & EQHammer.com

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

There are a few but are a niche market. Small MMOs with very small populations. What this thread needs to see is any IP brought to any new medium, movie, books, comics or a game. Needs too change the IP to fit the needs of that medium. MMOs require some elements to justify spending the money. Same with say a movie, would you watch a 32hr movie to make sure it kept 100% too the book?

Yeah I know. And as you know, this is a repeat theme in the ESO forums here. But the premise that there is something intrinsic to the ESO IP that is somehow offended by PVP has no merit.

It's just another version of the ever-present "I didn't want this, I wanted co-op Skyrim" opinion.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Yeah I know. And as you know, this is a repeat theme in the ESO forums here. But the premise that there is something intrinsic to the ESO IP that is somehow offended by PVP has no merit.

It's just another version of the ever-present "I didn't want this, I wanted co-op Skyrim" opinion.

And if they took 5 min to look under the hood they would see they have that as well. 

And if they took 5 min to look under the hood they would see they have that as well. 

Very much so... I would say more, but NDA image

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

I like how you're making assumptions that that's what I want. What I actually want is good PvE in TESO, but I haven't seen much proof that it exists.

Smile

Um... from what I've seen and hear it doesn't seem to be like Skyrim but with other players so no clue what you're talking about. I've played all the Elder Scrolls games and am a huge fan of the IP, but this just hasn't really felt like an Elder Scrolls game to me.

Maybe that will change overtime though. One can only hope.

Smile

Um... Been in Beta too, and saw zero proof it was like Skyrim but with other players so no clue what you're talking about. I've played all the Elder Scrolls games and am a huge fan of the IP, but this just hasn't really felt like an Elder Scrolls game to me.

Well you have me at a disadvantage because I won't break NDA like you just did with your opinion based on beta. So I guess you win by default...

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Um... Been in Beta too, and saw zero proof it was like Skyrim but with other players so no clue what you're talking about. I've played all the Elder Scrolls games and am a huge fan of the IP, but this just hasn't really felt like an Elder Scrolls game to me.

Well you have me at a disadvantage because I won't break NDA like you just did with your opinion based on beta. So I guess you win by default...

I didn't break the NDA so if you reported me, you've reported falsely. I said I didn't see proof of something that another player said their was. I didn't say it didn't have it and I didn't say it did. I didn't say anything. I also like how you didn't call up the player who actually agreed with you on the same exact thing.

Can't wait until the NDA is over though so the players who are "over the moon" about the game can be outed since all they do is say "you're breaking the NDA!" at the slightest mention of the game (when they don't seem to know the difference between breaking the NDA and just talking in general), as it seems to me the only reason they do this is because they want nothing negative said about the game.

Smile

• picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256

And your "very much so" is an opinion based on what?