Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar vs TESO

2»

Comments

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by thyraven
    [mod edit]

Better be careful, you're bound to get warned and/or suspended for even mentioning that you've been in one of their beta tests. They are pretty nazi about that around here. Now on to my point:

I want to like Wildstar, but I just can't get past the combat style. The ground prediction combat just seems extremely boring to me and I can't see it being much fun. I feel like I'd spend the entire fight staring at colored patterns on the ground. At least in ESO you can pay attention to the actual combat going on. And before someone says you can turn it off, that's not viable bc then I'd be at a disadvantage since it's so heavily built into the game

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Lyrian

I believe that ESO will spike at release and have a "SWTOR level" of dropping off after the first month or so due to the fact that it depends on PvP too much as a core endgame feature and replay-ability of experiencing each faction's storyline. There is also nothing to indicate that it will be a friendly game to crafters. ESO's sole strength is it's storyline and it's draw to TES's lore. However once that content runs out, few people will be pushing on to try another faction's storyline and I have a feeling the PvP at the end game is going to be lackluster.

Where as Wildstar seems to have a better all around package for longevity focusing both on raiding as an endgame feature with the option to pvp on top of it, while bringing additional features to make crafting unique and competitive. I don't think Wildstar is going to be a long term home either, since it follows a themepark model as well. But I feel it will have a longer retention rate than ESO.

Bottom line, we'll have fun in both. But as with the nature of the beast, we'll be done with them as soon as we usually are too.

With only a few exceptions, the history of mmorpgs the past 12 years has been one of box sales at release with numbers trailing off.  So that is the norm rather than some great insight.  The exceptions are noteworthy.

That being said, I expect tons of box sales for ESO.  Wildstar is iffy to me as the sound of the masses seems to be against the model.  At least with Wildstar we will see if the mass flock to it or stay away as they say.

This^^^^^. It will really take something special to see subs increase in any game 3-6 months or more post release. Though both games look solid for what they offer, neither is something extraordinary..just another step in the right direction from what already exists, at least in my opinion. Competition and expectations are just different nowadays when compared to what was available around 2003.

There Is Always Hope!

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    The problem with comparing two games that are still under NDAs is there are only two types of poster; those who shouldn't say anything because they haven't played the game, and those who legally can't because they have played the game.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• UlorikUlorik Member UncommonPosts: 179

My prediction:

One of them will disappoint people because of a big difference between expectations created by the promotion campaign and the actual game.

One of them will pleasently surprise people because of the difference between the hate campaign on forums and the actual game.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Ulorik

My prediction:

One of them will disappoint people because of a big difference between expectations created by the promotion campaign and the actual game.

One of them will pleasently surprise people because of the difference between the hate campaign on forums and the actual game.

I'm confused; which is which?  Both have hate campaigns on forums, and neither appears to be engaging in much promotion.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326

The endless threads about ESO are driving me up the wall.  The mindless fanboy questions about what class/ race/ build/ colour shoes other people are going to wear; and the endless hater threads breaking the NDA to tell us how awful the game is- they are both just making me sick of the game before it is even close to release.  

In my view it has no hope of living up to Skyrim; and some of the negative comments I have read about combat concern me as I had a feeling that in trying to capture ES combat in an mmo context it would wind up a complete mess.  But I won't know until I try it.  

Wildstar: I am looking forward to it a lot; it just looks like a fun themepark and the closest game to recapturing the feel of vanilla wow since vanilla wow (I do not care if it is a wow clone as long as it is done well- the only wow clones I dislike are shit wow clones which seems to be every one of them since 2007).   

So in terms of hype meters Wildstar is rating a lot higher for me.