Andrew Krausnick - Trove AMA

2»

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Niagara Falls, NYMember UncommonPosts: 3,710
    Kiwidream!!! So good to see you here :) I'm Dreamo84 on twitter :p

• ibdablokeibdabloke Salt Lake City, UTMember UncommonPosts: 1

Thanks for the AMA.

In the future are there going to be transparent voxels? Also, will there be the ability to rotate items to be placed in your cornerstone?

• AvaremAvarem Creative Lead, Trove Oceanside, CAMember Posts: 18
    Originally posted by ibdabloke
    Thanks for the AMA.   In the future are there going to be transparent voxels? Also, will there be the ability to rotate items to be placed in your cornerstone?    

There will be glass and water blocks with some transparency for sure.

We're still evaluating how we do rotation. This last patch made the facing 'more correct' (i.e., towards you instead of away) so I'm hoping that resolves most of the issues. We're keeping an eye on it in case we need a more advanced solution.

So water will be cubes! The plot thickens.

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    So water will be cubes! The plot thickens.

Or - dilutes? :)

Keep in mind that they will most likely have custom properties for water cubes (as in rolling down to the lowest point of the map, so that you could fill in all of those caverns with water.

At least that's how I envision it :)

I absolutely love water in games so I am excited to see water eventually. Will we ever see more liquids like lava?

Originally posted by Fendel84M
    I absolutely love water in games so I am excited to see water eventually. Will we ever see more liquids like lava?

It would be a waste to do all the work for only one type of liquid...

Good point. :)

Lava!!!!

Lol I love Terraria :)

I wish I had more questions... I will think of them later when it's over. Where are all the Trove fans at?!

• HeafstaggHeafstagg Edmonton, ABMember UncommonPosts: 172

Hi Andrew, thanks for taking time to answer questions!

1)  Are the character models going to stay the way they are? If not that's ok. I just don't really like the head and the arms and legs personally. If they are though, I'll respect that.

2) What exactly is going to be in the cash shop? Will it be purely cosmetic?

That's about all I have for now, thanks for taking the time again! I'm looking forward to participating in the world of Trove!

Updated Knight model (bye bye skinny legs)

Originally posted by Heafstagg
    Hi Andrew, thanks for taking time to answer questions! 1)  Are the character models going to stay the way they are? If not that's ok. I just don't really like the head and the arms and legs personally. If they are though, I'll respect that. 2) What exactly is going to be in the cash shop? Will it be purely cosmetic? That's about all I have for now, thanks for taking the time again! I'm looking forward to participating in the world of Trove!

We're making some updates to the character as we go (specifically the legs are changing more based on the class). The head and hands are likely to stay, since it works well with the type of customization we're doing.

The cash shop is purely cosmetic, utility (i.e., bag space) or operates as an alternate way to get some of the same things you can get with game currency (so if you don't want to play long enough to get a new class, you can take a shortcut and pick it up with cash). Obviously we will be keeping a close eye on the economy of this to make sure it doesn't ruin the game for people who aren't actively paying us, and making sure we have the freedom to tune this is one of the reasons we're wiping completely at the end of Alpha.

• ShocktorShocktor Towson, MDMember Posts: 2
    How much larger are you planning on making the cornerstones?
    Originally posted by Avarem
    Obviously we will be keeping a close eye on the economy of this to make sure it doesn't ruin the game for people who aren't actively paying us, and making sure we have the freedom to tune this is one of the reasons we're wiping completely at the end of Alpha.

It's worth pointing out that all the credits you get with RL cash in Alpha are credited BACK to you for beta, so it's not like you lose it after the alpha wipe. So if you spend $20, you'll get the credits equalling $30 in beta (since we unlocked Tier 8 which is 50% bonus) - http://www.trovegame.com/support-trove/

I had this question too, so just answering it pre-emptively as I was like - man I spend RL cash in Alpha and lose it... you don't!

Anybody who played Vanguard remembers this - can we say subliminal Trove foreshadowing?

Originally posted by Shocktor
    How much larger are you planning on making the cornerstones?

We're not sure yet what the absolute largest will be. The next step up will be doubling the edge size (so 4x total space).

• Chi55Chi55 PaperopoliMember CommonPosts: 7

Good news! :P

I have a question about dungeons. Are they going to be similar to what we have now, very simple, solo friendly or you plan on adding something more like a classical MMORPG dungeon that requires group play, use of class mechanics with added complexity and so on?

Since the next class is a ranged class (laser pistol cowboy) - are you planning on having falloff properties to projectiles (like current bomb arc trajectory) - or will you also have just straight beam (for laser) with zero falloff trajectory?

I guess a simpler question would be will ranged projectiles be voxels with travel speed, falloff etc...

Originally posted by DMKano
    Since the next class is a ranged class (laser pistol cowboy) - are you planning on having falloff properties to projectiles (like current bomb arc trajectory) - or will you also have just straight beam (for laser) with zero falloff trajectory? I guess a simpler question would be will ranged projectiles be voxels with travel speed, falloff etc...  

The plan right now is a straight shot projectile with a lifetime for the gunslinger's attacks. As usual with anything in development, it is prone to change.

Originally posted by Chi55
    Good news! :P   I have a question about dungeons. Are they going to be similar to what we have now, very simple, solo friendly or you plan on adding something more like a classical MMORPG dungeon that requires group play, use of class mechanics with added complexity and so on?

We need to make it easier to get together with people before we up the challenge past 'soloable'. That said, this is very important to one of our current goals (building a sense of community). So the wait won't be very long for increased challenge and the features to support playing together with other people.

That said, increasing the depth of combat will take time. We'll be adding new player and monster mechanics steadily and as these go in the depth of combat will increase.

Well, that's it for me today, time to head home!

Thanks for chatting and for the interest.

As above, find us at www.trovegame.com and www.reddit.com/r/trove and you can find me on twitter at @heyandrewk

Today is the last day for holiday supporter rewards, so if you want to pick those up make sure you support before tomorrow!

This discussion has been closed.