Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Media] General: Crafting

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,659MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

In our weekly comic, artist Blaz Klaric brings us his irreverent look into the foibles of the MMO worlds we love, and love to hate. Check out "Crafting" and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

Comments

• BorlucBorluc Greenwood, INPosts: 147Member
    This is so true of the majority of mmorpgs today.  It's a real shame that we haven't seen swg's fantastic, creative system built upon and expanded, reiterated into something amazing.  It's the same old line, from players off all people, that we should expect something this uninspired for all time.  I'm happy to disagree when I see games like The Repopulation pouring all their effort into creating game systems that will facilitate the creative efforts of the players.  Maybe shake up the jaded masses and inspire them too. 
  • AhnogAhnog Keller, TXPosts: 231Member Uncommon
    That's about it for most MMOs. The only MMO where I have seen "crafting" really mean something is EVE Online.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaPosts: 8,467Member Uncommon
    Well people find it funny and odd but that is EXACTLY what we do in real life to become more skilled at something,repetitive actions.The only thing i don't like about it is gamer's want it easier,they want level 90 crafting in 3 days.I would like to see players work hard for the items to make each craft.That way crafting could become more important.

Samoan Diamond

• GravargGravarg Harker Heights, TXPosts: 3,332Member Uncommon
    I miss the days when you had to figure out what components went with what to make things.
  • Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Lynchburg, VAPosts: 294Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Borluc
    This is so true of the majority of mmorpgs today.  It's a real shame that we haven't seen swg's fantastic, creative system built upon and expanded, reiterated into something amazing.  It's the same old line, from players off all people, that we should expect something this uninspired for all time.  I'm happy to disagree when I see games like The Repopulation pouring all their effort into creating game systems that will facilitate the creative efforts of the players.  Maybe shake up the jaded masses and inspire them too. 

From your lips to God's ears.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Sioux City, IAPosts: 3,828Member
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    Well people find it funny and odd but that is EXACTLY what we do in real life to become more skilled at something,repetitive actions.The only thing i don't like about it is gamer's want it easier,they want level 90 crafting in 3 days.I would like to see players work hard for the items to make each craft.That way crafting could become more important.

In agreement here.

The latest "trend" seems to be having NPCs do the "boring, repetitive" work for the players, so they can jump back into the "fun" action combat.

Good comic.  Brought a smile to my lips :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• OlgarkOlgark BostonPosts: 320Member Uncommon

Best crafting systems are Eve Online due to the sheer scope and scale to what a player can make.

SWG before it was fubared up by soe with the NGE.

Vanguard.

In the games listed above the player could actually make items that they can use in game either in pvp or pve and multiplayer combat (raids, incursions etc.)

All other mmos crafting is a time and gold sink put in place to keep players busy while new content is made so they can go and raid for new equipment. And 99% of the items they make are practically useless.

With the advent of player companions now collecting the resources and with the low quality of items that one can make, what is the point in putting in a crafting system to a game when all the loot drops are better looking visually or in stats ?

Either make a crafting system worth investing time in or just don't bother with one at all and just focus on the content of pve and pvp.