Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DayZ: 800,000 Moved, $12 Million Grossed in a Month

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Dan Hall has taken to the DayZ Reddit to reveal that the game has moved over 800,000 copies and grossed over $12,000,000 in sales in just under a month since the alpha phase began.

We (bohemia and I) had very ambitious plans for 2014 already, however this amount of sales was completely unexpected. Honestly, 250k within a quarter was what I would have considered a success. So to move nearly 800,000 in under a month is crazy.

We'll be finalizing our roadmap in mid January, but it is safe to say that this kind of result will be having a very positive effect on that roadmap.

No one can say that these guys haven't made the game to watch in 2014. What do you think?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I bought in and I'm a freaking tight wad. Been worth every penny even though it's far from finished. The emotions one encounters upon decisions one makes after letting ones self become immersed can leave one thinking about what if for days on end. I still can't believe I have done some of the things I have done and the feeling of panic upon finding dead bodies, fighting to keep all I have gained after someone says they are friendly and turn out not to be, which by the way is done voip, so it's a real human voice saying yes I'm friendly and then stabbing you in the back. I've been pretty lucky so far, but the more I gain the higher the stakes get, it's a good feeling to have this kind of passion again in game.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Nice job!
  • ViperDragonViperDragon Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Worth every penny.  I write horror novels, shorts, and screenplays, and I was looking for a horror-themed game to get into.  You may as well say: I've  been searching for this game - without even knowing it - for years.  Must admit, though, I'm amazed at the $12 million.  Not that it shouldn't have made this much; it's just a fantastic achievement.

A great list of free games (mostly MMORPGs): http://www.mytop10games.com/

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    You'll have my money when the finished product launches. Cheers!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I bought the game but haven't installed or played the Alpha version because I am taking Dean's advice literally.  I am not big on bugs and unpolish and those things would turn me off but he does deserve my money to help get it out sooner.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266

If you aren't beta/alpha savvy you shouldn't play it yet, there are some pretty severe bugs at the moment and they just added Battleye which seems to have pissed off every DayZ mod vet on the standalone.

It's worth the 30 dollars to me, but I am prepared for bugs and have had characters wiped due to them.  It may turn me off for a day or two but I end up coming back.

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181
    I won't be buying it because just like the Dayz mod this will be overrun with hackers.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

currently DayZ mod is better then alpha. more weapons and cars...

There is a lot hackers/cheaters in game too. need some heavy patching before can enjoy game

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

To echo what some others have said and throw my two cents in -

The game is fantastic. It is obviously in Alpha, but it is (despite what many say) absolutely playable and enjoyable. It desperately needs more zombies and a couple more things to do (which Rocket is supposedly actively working on) but as it stands its a fun, intense survival game. It nails atmosphere and mood perfectly, you really do feel tense as you play it.

Towns, at the moment, have 5 zombies at most, more often than not they have none. Every now and then the game will eat some of your inventory as well. The game can get very boring and lonely when you have everything you need but... the atmosphere and adrenaline rush of playing are unrivaled. This feeling is magnified at night where you pretty much need your flashlight to see, but you are of course revealing your location by using it (especially since 1 bug at the moment causes it to shoot through walls)

Pros

-Unique and challenging game, yet still easy to learn if you just put in a little effort (i never played the mod)

-Optimized shockingly well for an Alpha

-True sandbox gameplay

-Awesome atmosphere

Cons

-Some bugs (I dont think there as many as everyone else says, but maybe im missing some)

-North, East, and North-East portions of the map are all but abandonded making anyone who is willing to walk up there a very rich man

-Not enough zombies

-Not much to do but go human hunting once you have all the supplies you need to survive

The game is definitely worth the asking price as is, much less considering what it will become. I've always had an interest in DayZ but never wanted to buy a game i didnt care about (Arma) just to try it. It's really encouraging to see they are doing well, especially considering that I figured this game would be very niche to the point of being unprofitable. Even if you don't want to alpha test it, its worth a $30 "pre-order," to support the devs and get the game at a lower price than release, i think.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203
    I heard from a few people its really fun. 

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Good for him, I got the alpha knowing that the game is unfinished but they said the game price will go up Beta and when finished so why not kick out 30 now and have the game forever.

The 12mil will help to speed things up I hope as they will have some extra cash to throw some more people on the team.

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by hyllstarter

Its very fun. But alpha frustration is present of course. I just ran upstairs in a city to loot in a building and I think the house was haunted since it launched me into the street where my fall killed me.

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Originally posted by Sawlstone
    Originally posted by hyllstarter

Its very fun. But alpha frustration is present of course. I just ran upstairs in a city to loot in a building and I think the house was haunted since it launched me into the street where my fall killed me.

Lol awesome. 

• docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Pretty awesome, but if Hall really wanted to be cautious also for the fans sake, why have it on sale during the Steam holiday sale? Unless Steam themselves started becoming greedy...?

--------------------------------------------
    Youtube newb:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    I got it a few days ago. Only played a few minutes but iv had days of fun playing the mod. These guys will have some amazing ideas for dayz standalone.

P.s i could watch youtube vids of this game all day.
  • JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Bugs can be expected in an alpha. They've completed an important milestone in getting the game into the hands of players, and I'm sure the money they generated from the alpha sales will help them reach future goals more quickly. I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.
  • SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    I totally agree JC. Lots of potential for this game.
  • delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358

There is some great potential here but retail price in its current form is simply not worth it - I will wait and see how the game develops first

Thankfully twitch has saved me from finding this out - I will be happy to stump up retail price once/if the game is much more developed

12 million is good going for them and I hope this can turn into a speedy game development and at least most of the raw potential this game has is realised

I do not think this game is really a MMO though