Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

12 weekends til release

Comments

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    They do a lot of their own testing. Us beta testers are largely just stress testing. This phenomenon of large public beta tests is a rather new concept. Even WoW had a pretty small beta test and no open beta to speak of. I don't know anyone who was in EQ2 beta. They don't need big betas as much as you think they do.

WoW had a massive open beta that lasted for like 2 or so months.. and a rather large closed beta for at least 18 months before that, TESO seems to be ignoring any real feedback and just doing their own thing.. i wouldnt expect too much from the game at release

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by drakolas
    I didn't have high hopes for ESO originally, but I'm actually kind of looking forward to see how it turns out now. Even if they stupidly rush the launch like so many MMOs have done all I care is that they address the issues relatively soon after since I rarely buy games on launch anyway. I actually played in the last beta as well and enjoyed it for the most part, but I didn't get very far into it due to time constraints and I'm still waiting to see more about the late game.

I'm in this boat, too.

Isaiah 41:10
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 708
    Originally posted by mbrodie
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    They do a lot of their own testing. Us beta testers are largely just stress testing. This phenomenon of large public beta tests is a rather new concept. Even WoW had a pretty small beta test and no open beta to speak of. I don't know anyone who was in EQ2 beta. They don't need big betas as much as you think they do.

WoW had a massive open beta that lasted for like 2 or so months.. and a rather large closed beta for at least 18 months before that, TESO seems to be ignoring any real feedback and just doing their own thing.. i wouldnt expect too much from the game at release

WoW also had one of the worst game launches in MMO history if you were actually there... Servers down for almost a week or two.  Good thing they had that 2 month beta right?  I take betas for what they are, a beta.  Regardless of what people say whether they think its the final product or not, I form my own judgments and dont listen to reviews/rants of ppl complaining as should others.  People rely on other ppls opinions way too much.  Way too much.  Look at game chat nowadays, you see tons and tons of ppl asking "Whats the best class" Whats the best healer" "whats the best tank" "Is this game fun" etc etc etc.  People put so much stock in what others say/think that theyre cheating themselves of possibly finding something they truly like rather then what others like.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    I cannot believe how much we don't know about this game.....and that's not a good thing, this close to launch.

I agree.

Most game publishers are anxious to control the information and have official sites early on in development with a lot of information about the core game elements.

For this game you have to go to third party sources (the Tamriel Foundry being the best: http://tamrielfoundry.com/) where some fans have sifted through all the scattered interviews and info and tried their best to put it together in one place.

The only hard info in the official site is some scattered Q&As, usually with uninformative titles such as "Ask us anyhting - Variety Pack 11"...

... that and the cutesy, gimmicky "Developer Question of the Week" where they bring out a developer from the back room, dust off the cookie crumbs from his T-shirt, throw him in front of the camera to ask such important questions as: "You're given the opportunity to be a Daedra prince for a week. You've great power and no morals. What would you do?" (really...that's this week's question #52)

It's a very weird PR and marketing strategy.

Yeah I find this a bit of a red flag too, tbh.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• paul9smithpaul9smith Member Posts: 13

If they do not have another beta within Feb, I am afraid that the game might be delayed again. It takes a lot of time to test the game especially for the big game like this. 

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I just hope the PC release will have native gamepad support. 
  • bantapoobantapoo Member Posts: 4

I'm pretty picky in terms of MMOs but I'm quite open and give major MMOs their chance, just because I like variety.

I agree that there are some major points that are in the dark and the game rings "unfinished" (crafting etc.).

But my main curiosity point is whether they can make the 3 faction pvp as good as DAOC, especially if I have to endure pve leveling (which I don't like).

I will come to the game with 0 hype, hoping i will get couple of months of entertainment, if not more.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

I would say their marketting campaign is reasonably clever.

If they release too little detail, some people will complain.

If they release a lot of 'crunch' information, sites everywhere will analyse it to death and post their opinions of the success or failure of the game with great 'look at the facts' flourishes.

If allowed to pre-analyse the game, those fence-sitters who otherwise would have done so after buying the 'box' will not do so.

Better for the Zenimax bean counters by far to have people buy, then find out, than the opposite resulting in fewer sales.

There will always be detractors of a game's style of play, advancement etc. This way, they don't guarantee they won't try it, and thus make more sales.

Fairly sensible when you think about it...

• bantapoobantapoo Member Posts: 4
    I don't know if it's clever. There's difference between subtle but present PR campaign and zero PR campaign. There are only few weeks before the release , and this highly suggests to me that the game will be pushed down few months.
  • RampajiRampaji Member Posts: 50
    Looooking forward :)

Be the change you want to see in the world.

- Mahatma Gandhi

• GillleanGilllean Member Posts: 169

I don't care I WILL PLAY this game no matter what you can QQ hate it no body cares most probably haters are allways haters you QQ on in game always so yeah I just ignore your immature behaviour. Have a nice day also   I don't care about your ESO bashing 

I WILL BE A DARK ELF NO MATTER WHAT AND I WILL EXPLORE ALL THE MAP BECAUSE I LOVE TES AND I KNOW FOR SURE IT WILL BE GOOD not amazing probably BUT GOOD FOR SURE. EVEN RACES ARE AS POSSIBLE LORE SPREAD IN FRACTIONS SO I'S A GOOD SIGN ALREADY

• GillleanGilllean Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

If they release a lot of 'crunch' information, sites everywhere will analyse it to death and post their opinions of the success or failure of the game with great 'look at the facts' flourishes.

This

Today big problem is that with access to internet every plancton has and opinion on every thing.  AND if you pay attention LOGICAL BASED JUDGMENT is replaced with women emotional rage. Like any one care if you hate the game. I'm here because I look forward to play  I don't go to other game if I don't like them. The are a lot to talk about society changes and product we receive. BUT all this is because gamers became whining biching  on forums little girls. They always are not happy
    they always think their hate opinion is important .

PLUS most of this haters QQ because ESO will be P2P which is a great thing I will not see their whining in game because they are typical F2P plancton

• DeshaneDeshane Member Posts: 11
    i hope they will have one more beta phase... :)
  • ReaperJodaReaperJoda Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Only 13 weekends Till it flops then!!!
  • SoulTrapOnSelfSoulTrapOnSelf Member Posts: 190
    I expect at least a beta weekend and some open beta in March. Then NDA may be dropped close to launch to not affect initial box sales. That's what matters to Zenimax at this point.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Fearum
    I hope the PvP is good. I'm sure the PvE will be good with a good story, not the main attraction here for me though but I do like a game with a good story. Oh yeah and the crafting, interested in how this will play out seeing as they are tight lipped on it still.

Zerging is the way to go in this kind of PvP setup...  I personally hate zerging... Daoc was awesome PvP for the 8 mans we ran, which if any good allowed you to cc dozens of players and kill them one by one...  GW2 with much less cc removed this option and all there was left was the zerg...  Sadly ESO will go the same way...

GW2 learned me that challenging Pvp in an instance is much more fun then open world Zerging

DAoC was massive zerging but fun for the lone wolf style of player like myself.  I would walk right into the middle of the zerg and my objective was to kill the main guy calling the shots.  I would pop him in a 1 shot or two most on my Shade and then get away, that was the rush for me and well worth it.  You know he would be yelling at his team mates in vent saying how did you guys  let me die... lulz.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by LeGrosGamer
     Pretty sure this is a fanboi thread, and I'll gladly answer : Nobody cares.    The only reason this game will even be able to break sale records is because it's called Elder Scrolls.   Let's have a discussion 12 weeks after release to see how many are actually left playing.    By the time TESO releases, D3's expansion Reapers of Soul will be out and I got to admit, the game will kick some serious butt and it's about time Blizzard woke the hell up.   TESO is over hyped, end of story.

Completely agree with this. One thing though - I don't think TESO is overhyped, but rather indignantly admonished. 

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 708

If allowed to pre-analyse the game, those fence-sitters who otherwise would have done so after buying the 'box' will not do so.

Better for the Zenimax bean counters by far to have people buy, then find out, than the opposite resulting in fewer sales.

There will always be detractors of a game's style of play, advancement etc. This way, they don't guarantee they won't try it, and thus make more sales.

While you do make some interesting points, It does make you wonder why they have absolutely zero information in regads to PvE on their site?  The only thing on there about the game is the world map and the Alliance War.  Thats it.  Theyre a few months off but to have absolutely zero information on a games main website only a few months out makes you wonder... Why?  Im not doom or glooming it or whatever the F its called.  Im really excited for the game but there were some valid points on this thread as to why they dont have any information on the site.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

LOL 'fanbois thread'. Severe lack of reading comprehension on this site thats for sure.

They announced the release date on Dec 17th, that was, as of today, 20 days ago. What has been OFFICIALLY said about the game since then? Just some PvP Q&A that was obviously steered in a very generic direction. That was two weeks ago now. So they arent even giving weekly updates or media blitzes.

If people think that is 'clever marketing' then LMAO.

Its most likely because there isnt anything to tell. Or what they could say isnt meaningful enough to register.

What about crafting? What about guilds? There is a new video with a couple guys talking about shit they dont have any idea about guilds. Wheres the OFFICIAL stuff?

Relying on fansites with biased stuff that isnt anymore reliable than the 'hate' talk is not news. Its actually much more obvious.

The only thing they have talked about officially is so generic and hand picked it is hilarious. And the fact that the stuff they HAVE chose to talk about is so underwhelming raises even more red flags.

So this  game has it all, what they are saying and what they are not saying.

If this were some small time tiny indy game sure, let it roll. But this is one of the most anticipated games in along time. Right up there with the hype of the mid 00s in regards to AAA MMOs. So where is the news?

Go to the official ESO website and click stuff. Its laughable how little there is there. Even going to the Bethesda forums and trying to find stuff there is a fools errand. Because its nothing but actual fan boy nonsense, even more than you find here.

More and more I get the feeling my initial reaction to this game was right. Theyre relying on hype and fans to promote this game for them. That way when they release a partially finished game like so many other developers have much better plausible deniability. They will also rely on the fanbois to say "every developer has released unfinished games so why worry about this one now"? Which is as stupid an argument as it gets because they will spend the next 3 months saying the game will be released 100% and be 'perfect' from day one. Then when it isnt they just switch their tune. Seen it every release since who knows when. Predicting the pattern is not much of a stretch.

My mistake was getting 'invested' in it. I completely ignored Swotor and therefore was not effected by that games laughable attempt at calling itself an MMO one bit. But I got caught up a little bit in ESO. Because I played the other games, got into a couple betas and despite them being less than impressive hoped against hope it would be different. Then this last beta basically did it for me.

Tine is flying by whether people want to think it is or not. Its already been 20 days since they announced the release day, thats basically 25% of the time they have left until release itself from today forward. Basically in another 20 days theyll be about two months from release. How much do people expect between now and then?

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by Mackaveli44

While you do make some interesting points, It does make you wonder why they have absolutely zero information in regads to PvE on their site?  The only thing on there about the game is the world map and the Alliance War.  Thats it.  Theyre a few months off but to have absolutely zero information on a games main website only a few months out makes you wonder... Why?  Im not doom or glooming it or whatever the F its called.  Im really excited for the game but there were some valid points on this thread as to why they dont have any information on the site.

My cousin and I were talking and although he is a hardcore fan of TESO and I am not, we are both grabbing the game.  Simple reasons are one:  The lack of information, I actually enjoy this.  The less you know the better.  Go in and enjoy instead of eating up all the knowledge prior by posting everywhere.  I find the game will have a decent niche appeal and sell lots because of the name alone, but who knows how well after that.

D3EXP does launch a week or two prior and if it does well it may detract some sells, but I tend to think that ARPG and MMOs coexist quite nicely as they both are different enough to enjoy as I will purchase both  (not direct competition such as another MMO or COD vs BF type games)

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

(Partial Quote) 

...that and the cutesy, gimmicky "Developer Question of the Week" where they bring out a developer from the back room, dust off the cookie crumbs from his T-shirt, throw him in front of the camera to ask such important questions as: "You're given the opportunity to be a Daedra prince for a week. You've great power and no morals. What would you do?" (really...that's this week's question #52)

I am just struck by how game developers used to say people talked about them like they were rock stars. Now? There have been so many disappointing releases that every forum I read makes MMORPG developers out to be cookie crunching, basement dwelling, rejects. How times change.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

Compare the info Zenimax has released about ESO to an Indy game like the Repopulation.

Just look at the videos the A&BT guys have released. Every month a huge Dev Blog about what has been added/fixed. And that game is still in Alpha

Just last week they had 2 Twitch steams with a 2 and 3 hr Q&A.

I dont see Zenimax doing anything close to that

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

(Partial Quote) 

...that and the cutesy, gimmicky "Developer Question of the Week" where they bring out a developer from the back room, dust off the cookie crumbs from his T-shirt, throw him in front of the camera to ask such important questions as: "You're given the opportunity to be a Daedra prince for a week. You've great power and no morals. What would you do?" (really...that's this week's question #52)

I am just struck by how game developers used to say people talked about them like they were rock stars. Now? There have been so many disappointing releases that every forum I read makes MMORPG developers out to be cookie crunching, basement dwelling, rejects. How times change.

My son is a game developer...his preference is oatmeal raisin.

You're going off on a tangent I didn't intend. There is no disrespect toward the game developers. Rather it was a comment about a company thrusting them into the spotlight not to tell us something about what they do (which would be kind of cool) but rather to get them to ask contrived silly questions.

If you look at my sticky post at the top of this forum, I posted links to basic , core info about this game: class, weapon and armor skills. I would expect that information to be highlighted somewhere on their site under some generic "About" heading. It isn't there.

And contrary to what some others are saying on this thread, it's not because they're trying to hide things. That info is not under NDA or embargoed. It's just that they're leaving it to fan sites to collect it, organize it and make it available elsewhere.

Nor is their lack of info some "red flag" that their game development is in trouble or flawed. From what I know of the game and how it's shaping up, it isn't. But their website needs some quick content revamp - that is, if they want it to be the authoritative source on information about ESO. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

The OP sounds like he's worried he won't be able to beta to max level before the games release.

Anyone remember when Beta's were about testing and not just about being able to play the game for free?

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Grabs a bag of popcorn.  Let the forum Pvp begin

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin