Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: If 50,000 developed 1 single MMO for 10 years straight...

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

And it was finally launched in 2015, would those 50,000 see more $ in their pockets from it in the long run over what they delivered individually between 2005-2015?

If that game was delivered, just think about the perffection of polish, complexity, features, music, innovations, possibilities, security and so on it would offer and how much people would be willing to pay to experience it...

Imagine 50 million players (minimum) paying $30 a month = 1.5 billion PROFIT PER MONTH = 18 billion a year (minus taxes + box sales, cash shop etc) = 20 bil a year for 50,000 people, which means each one would earn $400,000 per year.

Bottom line TEAMWORK PAYS OFF and I went with the minimum $30. Every single one of those 50,000 developing that game over the 10 years would be receiving 1 million estimated per year for the next 10-20 years.

Fact is there are 1.2 billion gamers and I only considered 50 mil...And seriosly do you think anyone would even remotely come close to compete with something being developed by 50,000 people for 10 years straight?

Richer or poorer one thing is certain. We would all get to experience A TRUE EPIC, ONE OF A KIND GAME that we could enjoy until the end of our lifetime...

Just imagine, having 50,000 minds focused on one single project working together..there would be no place for risks and even if risks occured they would be immediatly eliminated.

Comments

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

It's already being done collectively for free. I assume game makers have seen little value in that.

Collectively it could do what would be extremely hard for a few, except in this instance for some reason.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Is a game great because it has a huge team of developers, or is it great because the people making the decisions made the right ones ?

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

The sheer numbers would win it, but it would also be somewhat inefficient. You lose efficiency as your team size increases, but you can also get a lot more done by sheer brute force.

It really depends on who is making the design decisions though. If you have 50,000 developers and they have many people brainstorming and working out the best mechanics unselfishly that would be pretty hard to beat so long as they all had an idea of what was possible, and what was not. Not 50,000 random people. If you have one person making the design decisions and the rest just doing the work though, that could have the potential for disaster unless the designer was amazing at what they did.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    You can't get 10 people on this forum to agree with what they would want in a perfect MMO what makes you think you could get 50,000 to agree on any mechanic or feature at all? I think you just painted the picture for development hell to be blunt.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

No. Because there will be some one who dislikes it for what ever reason.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Making them do it for 10 years would just mean it would be overcooked.
  • CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Is a game great because it has a huge team of developers, or is it great because the people making the decisions made the right ones ?

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

Only if I was leading the dev team would it work out. 

Otherwise it'd be a huge mess.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by Coated

With 50,000 minds its difficult to make a wrong decision. Even if you bring the right decisions, you would still lack the time, resources to execute em properly and on top your anonymity would seal the deal for your product to ever gain attention to the global market.

There is a reason why ants, bees and so on work together. Look at U.S, Russia, China, and now Europe (united for a reason)

Contries do not unite without a good reason and that good reason is so they can feel secure, to bring their own decisions and to deliver the best technologies, movies and so on to the global market.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

Its too much of a risk... since you have 50000 employees making a game with a salaray for 10 years... to try, there is no guarentee what seems to be raking in the whole MMO market of players.

50'000 X (salary) 30'000 = 1 year = 150'000'000

10 years = 1.5 billion

So you expect someone to be able to pay 1.5 billion dollars in just salaries ebfore even making a profit?

Or how about the hardware? New hardware every 5 years....

Projects are calculations based on how much money they can make from the initial investment... How are you going to convince anyone to put 1.5 billion in just salaries for 10 years without making any profit?

Thats just economics though... so, while, it may be possible... lets play along.

Why would you want 50000 programmers?

Are they putting every kind of game into one game? How about the game engine... the problem with MMOs is foremost that its one engine compared to single player games and being remade on  new engines. So the graphics are more up to date and with more flashy effects etc...

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523
    Originally posted by Kopogero

Imagine 50 million players (minimum) paying $30 a month = 1.5 billion PROFIT PER MONTH = 18 billion a year (minus taxes + box sales, cash shop etc) = 20 bil a year for 50,000 people, which means each one would earn $400,000 per year.

Things work very different on your planet, don't they.

Average 2012 US dev salary $84,000

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/average-2012-us-dev-salary-84000/1100-6406397/

See how he put the keyword "US". Thing is, there is a reason why it's bad to invest in US and why companies go oversees.

Anyone earning $2500+ a month can live alone well and that's $30,000. Those 84k developers must be REALLY REALLY GOOD, cuz one thing is for sure, they didn't earn their $ off the games that were delivered in last decade...

Originally posted by Incomparable

Its too much of a risk... since you have 50000 employees making a game with a salaray for 10 years... to try, there is no guarentee what seems to be raking in the whole MMO market of players.

50'000 X (salary) 30'000 = 1 year = 150'000'000

10 years = 1.5 billion

So you expect someone to be able to pay 1.5 billion dollars in just salaries ebfore even making a profit?

Or how about the hardware? New hardware every 5 years....

Projects are calculations based on how much money they can make from the initial investment... How are you going to convince anyone to put 1.5 billion in just salaries for 10 years without making any profit?

Thats just economics though... so, while, it may be possible... lets play along.

Why would you want 50000 programmers?

Are they putting every kind of game into one game? How about the game engine... the problem with MMOs is foremost that its one engine compared to single player games and being remade on  new engines. So the graphics are more up to date and with more flashy effects etc...

If I had 1.5 bil I would not think twice investing it all, when it could be bringing 20 billions a year for 10-20 years straight. And that about the hardware and graphics. I'm not sure if you are aware but I'm still playing Ultima Online today on 2D graphics since at least for me it's the best and most complex game and it was developed in 1997+

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

IMO a game needs ONE person's vision,otherwise the game would be a mess of ideas.You can't make a game like and is why so many games are not too good.You have every developer right now "pretending" to cater to everyone,then people are crying about balance and pvp is not good enough,then PVE is lacking.

Even still it does not matter because there will always be varied ideas on what players want for a game,so you will never cater to 50 million.Besides that i think 50 million is right about where we are for the total amount of MMORPG gamer's,all in one game will never happen.Many gamer's are playing more than one game and many have multiple accounts in one game.

IMO for one game to ever again achieve 10 million,it would need multiple gimmicks.From what i have seen pvp platforms to brag seem to draw a lot of attention.Once you go that route imo PVE is lost,unless you totally separate the two but then players would complain about that as well.

I believe there are a few golden rules for success,keep it easy to understand yet difficult to master.Give players lots of variables and customization.Make levels MEAN something,instead of a platform to end game.Remove end game because imo what is happening is with so much emphasis on end game,there is no GAME.Make sure your game has all the elements,no corner  cutting,yes this includes graphics.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Coated

A great game isn't the goal of mmorpg makers.

This is why there is no value in collective design.

Originally posted by Wizardry

IMO a game needs ONE person's vision,otherwise the game would be a mess of ideas.You can't make a game like and is why so many games are not too good.You have every developer right now "pretending" to cater to everyone,then people are crying about balance and pvp is not good enough,then PVE is lacking.

Even still it does not matter because there will always be varied ideas on what players want for a game,so you will never cater to 50 million.Besides that i think 50 million is right about where we are for the total amount of MMORPG gamer's,all in one game will never happen.Many gamer's are playing more than one game and many have multiple accounts in one game.

IMO for one game to ever again achieve 10 million,it would need multiple gimmicks.From what i have seen pvp platforms to brag seem to draw a lot of attention.Once you go that route imo PVE is lost,unless you totally separate the two but then players would complain about that as well.

I believe there are a few golden rules for success,keep it easy to understand yet difficult to master.Give players lots of variables and customization.Make levels MEAN something,instead of a platform to end game.Remove end game because imo what is happening is with so much emphasis on end game,there is no GAME.Make sure your game has all the elements,no corner  cutting,yes this includes graphics.

Your problem is your limited vision on what a game can be. In a single game you can bring infinite ideas, same as life itself. It has infinite ways it can be "lived". A game on such large scale would consist of multiple layers of games within games that are all connected in a way because that's how the world functions. We are all doing different things, but all are connected and exist in one big thing.

Originally posted by Wizardry

For that to happen you need more than gimmicks. You need "flow". Good luck on the PC side.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by Robokapp

See how he put the keyword "US". Thing is, there is a reason why it's bad to invest in US and why companies go oversees.

Anyone earning $2500+ a month can live alone well and that's $30,000. Those 84k developers must be REALLY REALLY GOOD, cuz one thing is for sure, they didn't earn their $ off the games that were delivered in last decade...

my paycheck takes a 21% nosedive in taxes every 2 weeks...I can assure you at 30k you're not earning 2500/month. it'll be just around 2000. give or take depending on where you are. state/county.

Then you should find yourself a better consultant who will do better job on your taxes at the end of the year. That's all I'm gonna say here since government related stuff are not allowed to be discussed. You also did mention 21%, but didn't mention how much you earn.

• XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I would imagine that an mmo that took 10 years to make would probably have dated graphics by the time it was actually released. 
    Originally posted by XxGrimmxX
    I would imagine that an mmo that took 10 years to make would probably have dated graphics by the time it was actually released. 

Just like now? High end graphics 10 years ago are as good as mmo's today. Surely there is a way to minimalize that.

There must be an excuse university somewhere. Nothing is possible and if it is no one will play it.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by Robokapp

my paycheck takes a 21% nosedive in taxes every 2 weeks...I can assure you at 30k you're not earning 2500/month. it'll be just around 2000. give or take depending on where you are. state/county.

Then you should find yourself a better consultant who will do better job on your taxes at the end of the year. That's all I'm gonna say here since government related stuff are not allowed to be discussed. You also did mention 21%, but didn't mention how much you earn.

Can live alone well?  Are you joking or being serious with $2500 a month is solid income even for a single person?  Is it decent?  Sure its decent, but its not really any amount to be proud of by any means.  I mean you have states like California to where making 30,000 is poverty while others its a decent living, but not compared to the cost of getting the degree to become a developer is.

Not to mention over 10 years, all those "single" employees most likely will be married with kids.  Now that income is requiring government assistance.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Man the organizing of this group would be hectic, this would be insane though if it was done properly. No matter what the money / effort would be wasted cause no way this game would pay off the time the devs spent.
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

Hmm........... it's like with making dinner.

10 people can make dinner faster then one or two people but 500 people won't make it much faster or better then 10, if they make it at all.

Overall, you have no idea that 50,000 is an insane number.

The entire Microsoft has less then 50,000 people in engineering and development worldwide.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Ok, so about 1/7th of the world is a gamer according to you.  And, 50 million of them are also MMO players willing to pay largest monthly sub yet.  Not mention you're basically forgetting investment costs of developing the game and servers and well everything.  All to realize the fact that no game no matter the budget or polish will please everyone.