Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you planning on playing in April?

Comments

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by kikoodutroa8
    Is this the new overhyped game that is supposed to save the mmo genre? I thought swotor and gw2 did that already.

swotor is star wars, which is really more of a mmo-scifi, never played it because of that.

gw2, dint seem like a true rpg to me, was a mix of weird rpg to me, never played that either because of it.

Now, games like everquest, lotro, final fantasy, ESO.   These kind of games are the kind of games that have some strong RPG founding roots in them, the kind where the nerd rolls the dungeon and dragons dice feel to it, with the exception of FF which is kinda different but because they were part of the founding RPG on the videogame world and had success, I threw them in there.

The game companies who made or making these game titles also have huge cash behind them from successful game series, or were made during the birth of RPG.   That's why ESO isn't just some flavor of the month like swotor or gw2 was.  These games listed have histories and styles that true RPG fans since the birth of RPG has been created will gravitate to and make them huge titles.

• GrimfargoGrimfargo Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Of course. Even if is a desaster I wasted much more money in my life (*cough* Hellgate:London Lifetime Sub for example)
  • MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128
    I was on the fence regarding to try this game at release or wait and see. However, the hostility towards it that emerged lately made me more curious. So, I am now leaning towards buying it when released.
  • LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281

I have to admit, I've been a huge Elder Scrolls fan ever since I first played Morrowind years ago. However, after having played the beta for TESO, I am very disappointed. For me, the game didn't feel like an Elder Scrolls game. It felt more like Rift or GW2 with Elder Scrolls artwork. I understand the limitations of an mmo compared to an open ended console game where you can pick up every item you see, but during my experience in beta there was one thing that really was turn-off for me:

you can't swim underwater.

That's right, you can only swim on the surface of the water. Gone are the days of slaughter fish attacking you as you try to get that underwater chest or needing a water breathing potion to reach a sunken ship or door. Considering the fact that I started out in an area dominated by water... this was a major game breaker. Part of the appeal of making an Argonian  in previous games was the water breathing racial ability... no need for it here.

Don't get me wrong, the music is top notch and graphics aren't horrible, but it just doesn't feel enough like an Elder Scrolls game for me to buy it. Seems like they would have been better off making a new console game with a multiplayer option.

• ReaperJodaReaperJoda Member UncommonPosts: 76

...god NO.  game looks like it came from 2005 with its dated graphics and gameplay. 

............... OVER 200 million spent on it so far?  Here comes SWTOR-ESO

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by aslan132

[mod edit]

1, with all due respect "that is what beta is for". For some reason some people think a beta is about the finished product. Sure, there are some betas that are just about stress testing and advertisement so it's confusing when you are in a "BETA" and things don't work.

Where the statement "it's still beta" is not valid is where some people think the game is going to be a completely different entity, different game, than the one they are playing. But as far as technical bits that has to be ok otherwise "don't play beta".

I can't begin to tell you the amount of stupid comments and complaints I saw in beta from people who really didn't know why they were there and who were confounded by "a beta".

2, No Raids? Of course there are no raids. No Arenas? Of course there are no Arenas.No Battlegrounds? Of course there are no Battlegrounds. No player housing? Comme ci, comme ça, most games don't launch with housing and it makes sense to pour their efforts into their major efforts such as the adventure zones and pvp area ...

All of the pvp is in the Cyrodiil area as that is what pvp is about. This game is about territory control. There are no raids because who would you raid, Dagoth Ur?

The problem I see with your statement is you are looking for WoW 3.0. Besides the issues that this game "may or may not" have, being different a bit is not one of them.

There's plenty of content here. Whether you like it or not is an entirely different animal.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    I might pick it up in May/June once the complete picture is known.  I'm tired of playing MMO's from day 1 only to drop them a month later, i'd rather not play those ones at all.
  • LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Nope, I'll be busy playing D3's expansion which will be a lot more fun and a nice change from the MMORPG game play style. By the time I'm done with D3, GrimDawn will most likely enter beta which will allow online playability, and by the time I'm fed up with those 2, Novus Aeterno will most certainly be in Beta, followed by Star Citizen a few months later.   So no, I won't be playing a over hyped elder scroll game. :)
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    I voted undecided.  At the present time, I have nearly the same feeling about TESO as I did about SWTOR...I was right about SWTOR (saved myself $60 - to this day I have never played it on live.)  Just like SWTOR, I will wait to see how the game turns out before sinking $$ into trying it - still hoping for a beta invite :)  The one difference between SWTOR and TESO for me is I am a huge SW fan...and played KOTOR1/2 on day one.  TES? I'm pretty sure I still own a copy of Morrowind I spent maybe 30 min playing before tossing aside... this was before I was big into RPG's, though.  After getting hooked on MMO's I never went back to single player RPG's, including the TES series.
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by cura
    Ill wait for first videos of questing, dungeons and pvp. If there is no major gamplay or engine flaws ill probably play for a month or two. I have a bad feelings about this one so there is no way i preorder. 

There are some leaked gameplay footage out there from a few that broke the NDA from beta. I have played in the betas and can tell you from my experience the gameplay keeps improving and the combat is enjoyable. Every beta it feels more and more like combat in Skyrim or Oblivion.

I have a few concerns, mostly with server stability and PvP.

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    I voted Yes, but it is somewhat contingent on hopefully being involved in some opne beta near launch, or at least Zenimax opening up so we can see some more open previews/streams/videos as we get closer to launch.
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    I will try it if it has a free trial, or if there is no box price and I can just pay for one month.  It really doesn't interested me all that much from what I have seen. 

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    My vote was yes. Can't be worse than me recently purchasing GW2 (for 2nd time, couldn't remember my original account info) and playing for 1 day and quitting again for 2nd time.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by FelixMajor
    I will try it if it has a free trial, or if there is no box price and I can just pay for one month.  It really doesn't interested me all that much from what I have seen. 

Well it has been confirmed there will be a box sale and a subscription. I am sure they will offer a free trial after launch though. 

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

If you dont play it at launch then you dont get the 'full' experience as after the free month is over the population will drop about 50%. So not only will you be playing 'catch up' in terms of leveling, the population of the server will be getting smaller and smaller as you go. Unless assuming more people buy it and start playing after it launches than the day it launched, which is highly unlikely.

If it were B2P you would have no such worries, although I am sure the pop would drop some, just not so drastically and predictably on a hard date.

Basically if you dont buy the game and play at launch youre going to miss out on the massive part of the game.

• PigglesworthPigglesworth Member UncommonPosts: 260
    I always have to laugh at so many single issue complaints. Some people won't play because no housing. Some people won't play because no swimming underwater.

Seriously? These are all or nothing issues?

@PigglesworthTWR on Twitter

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

Malcontent @ EQNexus.com & EQHammer.com

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    Originally posted by rodarin

If you dont play it at launch then you dont get the 'full' experience as after the free month is over the population will drop about 50%. So not only will you be playing 'catch up' in terms of leveling, the population of the server will be getting smaller and smaller as you go. Unless assuming more people buy it and start playing after it launches than the day it launched, which is highly unlikely.

If it were B2P you would have no such worries, although I am sure the pop would drop some, just not so drastically and predictably on a hard date.

Basically if you dont buy the game and play at launch youre going to miss out on the massive part of the game.

Ask yourself, what does that really mean?  You avoid overloaded servers, log in problems, crashes etc. 

You miss out on eventual improvements that inevitably come 6-12 months post launch. 

I only give a game one shot, so if I play it at launch, and drop it after a month or 3, I never go back.  I only know LOTRO, RIFT, TSW, SWTOR, AOC and some others as they were delivered at launch. 

I have no idea how much they changed and either improved or regressed.

Meanwhile, with the exception of WOW and Shadowbane, the MMO's I've most enjoyed I joined well into their delivery cycle, (at least +6 months post launch) including DAOC, EVE, and Lineage 1.

Yeah, if having zillions of people all around you is really important (not sure why, you most likely won't interface with any of them outside of your core circle of friends or guild mates) it seems at the end of the day to be an advantage to wait a bit and see how the game matures before joining in.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Yes I'll be there for launch.
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by rodarin

Ask yourself, what does that really mean?  You avoid overloaded servers, log in problems, crashes etc. 

You miss out on eventual improvements that inevitably come 6-12 months post launch. 

I only give a game one shot, so if I play it at launch, and drop it after a month or 3, I never go back.  I only know LOTRO, RIFT, TSW, SWTOR, AOC and some others as they were delivered at launch. 

I have no idea how much they changed and either improved or regressed.

Meanwhile, with the exception of WOW and Shadowbane, the MMO's I've most enjoyed I joined well into their delivery cycle, (at least +6 months post launch) including DAOC, EVE, and Lineage 1.

Yeah, if having zillions of people all around you is really important (not sure why, you most likely won't interface with any of them outside of your core circle of friends or guild mates) it seems at the end of the day to be an advantage to wait a bit and see how the game matures before joining in.

True. I played many games at launch and it is not an enjoyable ride sometimes. There will be no issues to wait at least a month even after launch to try it.

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Would have to agree about the launch issues, however I'll still be there on day one. The sooner I start, the sooner I get to hit Cyrodiil and start raining down destruction on people. ;)
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Fuggly
    Not playing, had my fill of themeparks on rails.

This is one of the reasons I will not be playing as well.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I will definitely be there.

And to all of you who come to this forum almost daily to tell us why you won't play... see you there! image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

Most probably yes, I will play at launch.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Fuggly
    Not playing, had my fill of themeparks on rails.

^ This

Seeing eight people crowded around a quest giver is not my idea of a fun time in an ES game it just honestly broke my immersion.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Ravenwolfie
    Played in a couple of the betas and nope! Unlike the single player versions the game play in the MMO bored me to death. I can't see blowing money on it.

^ And this, my god do I agree with you, this game is boring as hell

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!