Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perpetuum: Mea Culpa Issued: "We Screwed Up"

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Perpetuum team has issued a new "state of the game" letter on the official site that is essentially a "mea culpa" for the missteps the sandbox title has made with players new to the game. Essentially, the team admits that throwing newbs into the game without any direction is a bad idea. To correct this, players will have a chance to "play before you play" on a specially designed virtual training program.

The island of noobs

That’s why they have created a whole virtual island, where every wannabe-Agent is sent to at first, cybernetically speaking. Being only virtual, the island is almost completely sealed off from the main Earth-Nia network. I say "almost", because the lovely Syndicate programmers managed to interlink the basic communication lines, so new and old can still chat about their experiences together. But other than that, nothing gets in and nothing gets out.

Sidenote: initially our plan was to create solo instances for this, but as it turned out that would require too many core changes throughout the game, and we have decided that this is not the right time for such experiments. In some aspect there will be multiple instances of training islands, but these will be "hard" instances that we’ll use in conjunction with queuing and load balancing. However, this is not something that we could use for missions for example. But fear not, proper instances are still on our todo. 

Read the entire blog post on the Perpetuum site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Pretty good game.
  • KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Nice gesture on his part. I''ve always wanted to see this game improved, and not denying problems is clearly a step into the right direction.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Playing the game atm. And it has taken alot of steps to become a rly great game since I last played. Having rly fun atm. Good time to jump onboard now to if you want to test it before it hits steam. But the new player experience isn't in right now, but will be in before steam release. Should be within a month or so.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I won't play this type of pvp,it is stand out in the open and fire at each other.

Seems a lot like a Mech Warrior/ Rising Force online type game.The world is too barren not enough assets.

It is a smart move though to offer customers a chance to play the game before buying it.One problem though,the admittance of "mistake" was not just to allow players to try the game,it was the fact that players had zero idea of how to design their player .What the game really needs is a full on tutorial of each selection and what it leads to later in the game.

Personally i like surprises in a game but not if pvp is involved.Seems ALL the focus of this game is pvp,i really do not see the RPG aspect of this game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Nice. I'm glad to see they are working on the game and moving forward.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Wizardry

I won't play this type of pvp,it is stand out in the open and fire at each other.

Seems a lot like a Mech Warrior/ Rising Force online type game.The world is too barren not enough assets.

It is a smart move though to offer customers a chance to play the game before buying it.One problem though,the admittance of "mistake" was not just to allow players to try the game,it was the fact that players had zero idea of how to design their player .What the game really needs is a full on tutorial of each selection and what it leads to later in the game.

Personally i like surprises in a game but not if pvp is involved.Seems ALL the focus of this game is pvp,i really do not see the RPG aspect of this game.

I think the PVP in this game is excellent compared to, for instance EVE. Here you actually control the bot, and can use the enviroment to your advantage. Taking cover etc. You can't have PVPed alot if you didn't notice this and said it's to barren... 

And you can do PVE carebear style as much as you want on the starting islands. The open world PVP hits you first on beta and gamma islands. But now you will even have a tutorial island before "going live" so to speak. Even better.

Ofc the focus on the endgame in this type of games, the sandbox MMOs that is, is PVP, taking islands, building and terraforming on some islands etc. This is a true sandbox for sure. And there is something for everyone here. You could skip PVP and focus on crafting, do assignments etc as well. PVP is there. But it ain't a must.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I created the character Adam Online in Perpetuum as a nod to the developers who seemed intimately familiar with my wife.

Generally, taking a niche game and making a much later and less capable copy of it is not a successful business idea.

• cirsyndiccirsyndic Member UncommonPosts: 261

Perpetuum is a good game plagued by horrible management and bad luck. I've played it since launch (been taking hiatuses in the last year or so since everyone seems to stop playing when I start playing), and here's pros and cons I've found:

PROS:

- PVP is simple to start, hard to master. Very entertaining.

- The robots look pretty.

- Crafting is simpler then EVE (for those of you that don't enjoy complex spreadsheets and 3rd party programs)

- World is large (when I started on launch, there were 6 islands today there are ~36)

- Mining is... well... simple enough that you can comfortably watch shows or movies.

CONS:

- Game practically forces you to pay  subscription for 2-3 accounts (10$ each, or slave for ICE)

- Any new player will spend 2-3 months of grinding/waiting for skill-points to start being competitive or anything more then a suicide tackle-monkey

- Most of the remaining population (20-30 people tops) are the die-hards running 5+ accounts, each specialized into the niche roles.

- The game is 3 years old, so most of the small population can afford to lose the best gear & robots and not care about it.

- Graphics are dated (I don't care about graphics but some people do)

Honestly it's a good game but I don't think any guild just starting out has even a long shot at establishing themselves. Too many skill-points, assets, and 3 years of experience stacked against them. It should really be wiped and relaunched, but as I mentioned before due to bad management that's just not going to happen.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Was expecting the letter to say farewell and shutdown.

Oh well, I think it will be soon nevertheless.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • KrightonKrighton Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Game is abysmal both visually and mechanically. Don't bother.
  • tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

I created the character Adam Online in Perpetuum as a nod to the developers who seemed intimately familiar with my wife.

What the........

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by tristanryan

What the........

Okay. I fear a TMI situation developing.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    Originally posted by tristanryan

What the........

Okay. I fear a TMI situation developing.

Right?  Was this a drunk post?  not making sense.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Generally, taking a niche game and making a much later and less capable copy of it is not a successful business idea.

Well, it cleary was inspired by EVE from the get go. But it has grown into it's own unique game now. In this game you can actually controll your bot in fights. You can't do that with your ships in EVE. In this game you have terraforming, where you can shape the land as you want etc. 

There are alot of successfull WoW-clones out there. I wish there were even more that got inspired by EVE. But right now, Perp is standing on it's own robotic feet. ;)

• JasdemiJasdemi Member UncommonPosts: 149
    Playing this game since release. Not planning to quit anytime soon. 
  • KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by cirsyndic

Perpetuum is a good game plagued by horrible management and bad luck. I've played it since launch (been taking hiatuses in the last year or so since everyone seems to stop playing when I start playing), and here's pros and cons I've found:

PROS:

- Crafting is simpler then EVE (for those of you that don't enjoy complex spreadsheets and 3rd party programs)

- World is large (when I started on launch, there were 6 islands today there are ~36)

- Mining is... well... simple enough that you can comfortably watch shows or movies.

CONS:

- Game practically forces you to pay  subscription for 2-3 accounts (10$ each, or slave for ICE)

- Any new player will spend 2-3 months of grinding/waiting for skill-points to start being competitive or anything more then a suicide tackle-monkey

- Most of the remaining population (20-30 people tops) are the die-hards running 5+ accounts, each specialized into the niche roles.

- The game is 3 years old, so most of the small population can afford to lose the best gear & robots and not care about it.

Honestly it's a good game but I don't think any guild just starting out has even a long shot at establishing themselves. Too many skill-points, assets, and 3 years of experience stacked against them. It should really be wiped and relaunched, but as I mentioned before due to bad management that's just not going to happen.

"- Game practically forces you to pay  subscription for 2-3 accounts (10$ each, or slave for ICE)"

Now I tend to disagree with syndic on EVERYTHING the guy is a few cans short of a six-pack, but sadly... I can't argue with this point. And is the main reasons I stopped playing myself, being forced to 3-10x multibox to even matter in the game is what killed the fun, it became more of a job to play this than even EVE online. The devs refused to ban/enforce all mult-boxing, and so the game died a slow death along with many other reasons. Still I got a hell of a great experience out of this game for years, just wish it didn't have to end.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

Originally posted by Kazuhiro
    Originally posted by cirsyndic

PROS:

CONS:

"- Game practically forces you to pay  subscription for 2-3 accounts (10$ each, or slave for ICE)"

Now I tend to disagree with syndic on EVERYTHING the guy is a few cans short of a six-pack, but sadly... I can't argue with this point. And is the main reasons I stopped playing myself, being forced to 3-10x multibox to even matter in the game is what killed the fun, it became more of a job to play this than even EVE online. The devs refused to ban/enforce all mult-boxing, and so the game died a slow death along with many other reasons. Still I got a hell of a great experience out of this game for years, just wish it didn't have to end.

I play with one account. I'm in a helpfull corp. I focus on things I like. I help corp when needed. They help me in return. I make due just fine. Artifacting alone made me 200 mill in two days. ICE cost 220 mill atm. You can play this game just fine with one account. And you can easily do it for free with ICE as well. 

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

EvE meets Mechwarrior 

a winning combination

Originally posted by DocBrody

EvE meets Mechwarrior 

a winning combination

Amen...

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

When I last tried this game, I was reminded how far EvE Online has come.

That said, I couldn't help but compare the two and conclude that I might as well be playing EvE, despite this being a different setting.

I wish them all the luck, though.

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418

Played since release....wont be going back anytime soon....Great game really not a bad dev team. The missteps IMO were more from some of the loud mouths on the forums that ended up swaying the changes in the game. That all aside w/o a large in-flux of players and the devs stop screwing with core mechanics this far after launch it will never be more then a nichie game with 100 people in it.

+1 for refund of EP!!!!

• jcsadonejcsadone Member UncommonPosts: 60
    I wish Anet had the balls to do that. Maybe I would come back to GW2 then, mind the Living Story/World fiasco.
  • sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    shush syndic u nob :P
  • gibogibo Member Posts: 25
    Despite the negatives this game has had, it's really a great game but you need more players for it to really shine.  The best thing is the developers really listen to their playerbase and this change has come about by loads of discussions with players, you really feel part of the development process. Next up is steam and a revamp of missions and PVE. 

It seems to be some butthurt ol vets here. But don't be fooled. The game is fun. And there ain't to many trollish teens ingame. The game requires SOME thinking. So those bloodthirsty younglings don't have the patience that a game like Perp requires. I rec. any1 that likes the sandbox concept of MOOs to test the games free trial.