Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forbes Predicting Biggest Disaster of 2014

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Carl132pCarl132p Member UncommonPosts: 538
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Carl132p
    Leave it to mmorpg.com to be completely taken in by ESOs crap. Everyone who's played beta including myself know that the combat is GOD AWFUL and the quests aren't any good either. Those caves you love to explore in skyrim? full of turds running around slaying everything the second it spawns. The cool little mini stories that come with quests? not cool in the least, more annoying than anything. 

So you are trying to tell us who haven't played the game that we should just take your word for it and start believing that game is awful?

Sorry but i like to make my own opinions and decisions. Obviously not everyone is going to like the game, which is expected and is a very natural thing. And i don't think you are in position to speak on behalf of 'every one' who has played the beta.

I AM in that position because NO ONE, who has experienced how poorly done the combat is, comes away saying man that was really well implemented. Your melee swings do as much damage as an auto attack in a normal mmo which leaves you sitting there stock still in front of a mob swinging away like an idiot because there is not point to moving around. Sometimes the mobs charge up a power attack and a big obvious box tells you to hit them, which causes a stun, then they sit there and get pummeled some more, but definitely don't die because your hits do nothing. Blocking doesn't actually block the attack, not only does the mob not respond to you blocking, you don't respond to you blocking and you take some damage for it. Whatever awesome combat the videos have lead you to believe is here is definitely not here, and again, the quests are shit. Have fun collecting ten more bear asses for the millionth time.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Rzep
    The day I start taking what Fobes says about video games seriously is the day I start telling the future by examining diarrhea.

QFEx2....

+1 for lulz.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

If this game has any success, it will not be because of the game play.

Again, this game is lucky that it has the elder scrolls name to back it up, otherwise box sales would be marginal at best. Just like SWTOR, it was lucky it had Star Wars in the title to give it a little more mmph. You think SWTOR was a terrible fail? Just imagine that game without the huge title name.

TESO is terrible. I realize this is just opinion, just like your opinion to defend it at this point, but the game is crap. It just sucks that people are putting their 'everything' into this game, because the disappointment for them is going to be the worst.

Another 200M wasted on a huge team with no vision, no original thought and poor execution. The saddest thing for me is the wasted time and effort on these relics who need to stop making MMORPG's.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by Ice-Queen
    I think he has a point somewhat. Console players absolutely will not pay a monthly subscription fee to play it. They're just not that type of gamer, they're the pay $60 for a game, play it til they beat it, then move on type of gamers. I think the game will have a devoted fanbase like SWTOR did ((though no one can do as horribly as the SWTOR team did)), and end up selling a lot to begin with but dwindle down to a few hundred thousand players. Though I prefer subscription based mmo's it will not be worth one. Having played it, I don't see it being a big blockbuster mmorpg.

You do realise that a lot of MMO players buy consoles, and a lot have wanted to sit on their couch and role an MMO, this maybe the one that finally does that fully supported, remember FFXI still is on console and was ported over to XBox360 years later (what was it 2010?)  So there is a market for it.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by sketocafe
    Console players are the reason we're up to our necks in paid DLC and in game cash shops. How do people figure they won't go for a monthly fee?

Console gamers have nothing to do with it. 

The MMO gamer pre-ordered their game, paid extra to play it before it was released, shelled out for the CE, and agreed to a monthly fee. To add insult to injury, they willing paid for the expansions, too.

The MMO gamer has time and again told the industry "I have no familiarity with history, no concept of the difference between hope and reality, and absolutely no end to my wallet if you tell me over and over the words that I want to hear - that the game is made for me, that the features will revolutionize gaming, and that it is all based on my personal feedback."

After all, that is exactly how the past three years of MMOs have been sold, and it is the entire sales pitch for the Steam Early Access games, all of which start with "get involved with this game as it develops." Why? Because the buying patterns of the PC gamer have proven for well over a decade that there's money in doing it.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Console gamers have nothing to do with it. 

The MMO gamer pre-ordered their game, paid extra to play it before it was released, shelled out for the CE, and agreed to a monthly fee. To add insult to injury, they willing paid for the expansions, too.

The MMO gamer has time and again told the industry "I have no familiarity with history, no concept of the difference between hope and reality, and absolutely no end to my wallet if you tell me over and over the words that I want to hear - that the game is made for me, that the features will revolutionize gaming, and that it is all based on my personal feedback."

After all, that is exactly how the past three years of MMOs have been sold, and it is the entire sales pitch for the Steam Early Access games, all of which start with "get involved with this game as it develops." Why? Because the buying patterns of the PC gamer have proven for well over a decade that there's money in doing it.

But it's 100% the devs fault. They should be better people and just know the customer has no self control.

• PigglesworthPigglesworth Member UncommonPosts: 260
    If people are willing to hand them money, you expect them to turn it away?

@PigglesworthTWR on Twitter

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

Malcontent @ EQNexus.com & EQHammer.com

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

I have heard from an insider working on the game that it is no more than just "meh" at best.

This game is doomed.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • Mikey_HazardMikey_Hazard Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Leave it to mmorpg.com to be completely taken in by ESOs crap. Everyone who's played beta including myself know that the combat is GOD AWFUL and the quests aren't any good either. Those caves you love to explore in skyrim? full of turds running around slaying everything the second it spawns. The cool little mini stories that come with quests? not cool in the least, more annoying than anything. 

So you are trying to tell us who haven't played the game that we should just take your word for it and start believing that game is awful?

Sorry but i like to make my own opinions and decisions. Obviously not everyone is going to like the game, which is expected and is a very natural thing. And i don't think you are in position to speak on behalf of 'every one' who has played the beta.

I AM in that position because NO ONE, who has experienced how poorly done the combat is, comes away saying man that was really well implemented. Your melee swings do as much damage as an auto attack in a normal mmo which leaves you sitting there stock still in front of a mob swinging away like an idiot because there is not point to moving around. Sometimes the mobs charge up a power attack and a big obvious box tells you to hit them, which causes a stun, then they sit there and get pummeled some more, but definitely don't die because your hits do nothing. Blocking doesn't actually block the attack, not only does the mob not respond to you blocking, you don't respond to you blocking and you take some damage for it. Whatever awesome combat the videos have lead you to believe is here is definitely not here, and again, the quests are shit. Have fun collecting ten more bear asses for the millionth time.

Do you expect players to act the same in PVP as mobs?

Woe unto anyone expecting PvP to be a highlight of ESO… 3 Factions is cool, but the actual PvP gameplay in ESO is going to be lackluster at best.

I haven’t played the game, so I could be totally wrong here, but I’ve played all of the Elder Scrolls games and exactly zero of them would translate well into a PvP environment. If ESO is expecting to cater to the Elder Scrolls crowd, chances are very good that the PvP will be horri-bad.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." - Louis Hector Berlioz

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by kitarad

Isn't SWToR making money why would it be a failure ?

For some reason people have a notion that if you can't topple WoW, then it's a failure.  

The reason why WoW is played by so many is because they're the only MMO that has a marketing team with money.  Rift did some marketing, but nothing like WoW.  Blizzard spent a lot of money on advertising on TV, even in primetime.  I know a lot of players in WoW that got the game as a present for birthdays or christmas, because someone they know saw the commercial and bought it for them...

Now back to the topic at hand.  I don't think it'll be a disaster.  Will it be  14 million subscribers strong? No, you'll never see another MMO like that, so just forget about it already lol.  Will it make money and be sustainable?  Who knows...it's like the weatherman.  He can get it close, but they never get it right.  Same with game predictions, I would say it'll be a fairly successful game.  They'll make money off it.  I hope it stays as P2P, as subscription is the only model I play, and will ever play.

• cnutempcnutemp Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by General-Zod
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Originally posted by cnutemp
    Originally posted by Toxia

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/01/02/predicting-the-biggest-disaster-of-2014-the-elder-scrolls-online/

Thoughts?

I think they may be right.   TESO brings nothing new to the table other than their IP.  Quest hub grinding to max level then 3 faction pvp?  Sounds like guild wars 2, and I already have that game.

If you really think GW2 is a good example of 3 faction PvP I feel sorry for you friend.

Guildwars mirrored class 3 "server" affair was disgusting. I feel sorry for him too...

So a quest hub grinder with better 3 faction pvp than guild wars 2?  You cant bank your 200+ million dollar budget on that.  That still isn't offering anything different than the competition other than the IP.  I still don't see this game keeping anyone other than half of their TES fans (with the other half leaving because they realized the gameplay was a complete 180.)

• Mikey_HazardMikey_Hazard Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    Originally posted by kitarad

Isn't SWToR making money why would it be a failure ?

For some reason people have a notion that if you can't topple WoW, then it's a failure.  

The reason why WoW is played by so many is because they're the only MMO that has a marketing team with money.  Rift did some marketing, but nothing like WoW.  Blizzard spent a lot of money on advertising on TV, even in primetime.  I know a lot of players in WoW that got the game as a present for birthdays or christmas, because someone they know saw the commercial and bought it for them...

Now back to the topic at hand.  I don't think it'll be a disaster.  Will it be  14 million subscribers strong? No, you'll never see another MMO like that, so just forget about it already lol.  Will it make money and be sustainable?  Who knows...it's like the weatherman.  He can get it close, but they never get it right.  Same with game predictions, I would say it'll be a fairly successful game.  They'll make money off it.  I hope it stays as P2P, as subscription is the only model I play, and will ever play.

I played WoW since beta. The first commercial I saw for the game came out sometime around WotLK… 3 expansions deep… They already had like 10+ million subscribers at the time.

WoW’s success was due primarily to the established franchise, world-renowned developer cred, and the fact that it was for all intents and purposes; it was the world’s first big budget, mythos-established, AAA themepark MMO. Yeah, there was marketing, but I dare say Rift, etc. actually outspent WoW’s early-on marketing budget simply because they HAD to. No-name developer, new IP, etc.

WoW was a pioneer in the broad-appeal MMO market. Yeah, there were already MMOs but none with the kind of rabid fan-following that comes with Blizzard. You could argue that Star Wars (Galaxies) was a bigger IP than Warcraft (and you’d be right), but the difference is that Blizzard fans already all owned PCs… Because… Blizzard games.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." - Louis Hector Berlioz

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by DamonVile
    Console gamers have nothing to do with it.  The MMO gamer pre-ordered their game, paid extra to play it before it was released, shelled out for the CE, and agreed to a monthly fee. To add insult to injury, they willing paid for the expansions, too. The MMO gamer has time and again told the industry "I have no familiarity with history, no concept of the difference between hope and reality, and absolutely no end to my wallet if you tell me over and over the words that I want to hear - that the game is made for me, that the features will revolutionize gaming, and that it is all based on my personal feedback."   After all, that is exactly how the past three years of MMOs have been sold, and it is the entire sales pitch for the Steam Early Access games, all of which start with "get involved with this game as it develops." Why? Because the buying patterns of the PC gamer have proven for well over a decade that there's money in doing it.  
    But it's 100% the devs fault. They should be better people and just know the customer has no self control.

Why?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    The day I start taking what Fobes says about video games seriously is the day I start telling the future by examining diarrhea.

QFEx2....

+1 for lulz.

Forbes isnt a Gaming Review Magazine. Its a Business Magazine.

They arent discussing the game itself, but the direction the Business is taking.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

I have heard from an insider working on the game that it is no more than just "meh" at best.

This game is doomed.

Really?

Because I heard (from a "insider") that this game is being called the savior of MMO's and best game of all time past, present, and future!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs
    Originally posted by Betaguy

QFEx2....

+1 for lulz.

Forbes isnt a Gaming Review Magazine. Its a Business Magazine.

They arent discussing the game itself, but the direction the Business is taking.

Yes of course and it makes total sense because game reviews mean absolutely NOTHING<the ONLY review that matters is how a game rates to each individual and we all have different views.

I will not pretend to be able to dissect the game itself,i know little of the game but i do follow all gaming.My opinion is that the game is not marketed on the same level as Trion's Rift or Wow or even EQ Landmark or Wildstar.Marketing DOES matter a lot.

Also another very annoying thing i noticed when i was looking for a certain game of late is that the major gaming stores ONLY carry large number of Blizzard products and for some other big names they do not even have one copy on console or PC.

What  i see is TESO is doing minimal marketing ans has yet to put out that one big PR idea that makes it sound worth playing.

it is possible TESO could end up a top 5 game of all time,but the OTHER factors tells me the game "might" struggle a bit under their expectations.Timing will as always be key,i do not think they want to go head on with a few other big titles,so they need to pick a sweet spot in between.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by cnutemp
    Originally posted by Toxia

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/01/02/predicting-the-biggest-disaster-of-2014-the-elder-scrolls-online/

Thoughts?

I think they may be right.   TESO brings nothing new to the table other than their IP.  Quest hub grinding to max level then 3 faction pvp?  Sounds like guild wars 2, and I already have that game.

I was reading about PVP last night, it's already going to be better than GW2.

You can place then MOVE all the siege engines except the ram. Can't do that in GW2.

Your target is based partly on your reticule for aiming, no more hopping and attacking. No more easy mode.

A guild can only own one keep at a time. In GW2 one super guild can dominate the landscape.

If you do own a keep, as a guild you can setup a trading store there.

A person can join 5 guilds.

Everyone in the game can stealth. It's not limited to a single class to be able to sneak up and attack. That makes for tactical play without everyone being a thief. You want to be a heavy armor wearing magic caster stealthing around? Can do.

They built the game to support 200 players regularly on the screen at a time. Do I even need to remind everyone about invisible players in GW2 because they couldn't handle the amount on the screen and in their battles it was around 250 players per side maximum. Wasn't their final solution to that - we can't fix it so we will just take away all culling.

The campaigns will be 3 month increments instead of just weeks per match. There is more than one campaign going on at a time, you aren't stuck in one match.

You will NOT have to be in queue for hours to play PVP. It scales so that people don't have to wait - see campaigns.

There are no jumping puzzles in PVP with people who don't want to PVP taking up space on your side while they aren't fighting. You know how many times I waited in queue just to find out that other people inside were getting their map completion or jumping puzzles while our points dwindled away in GW2 because those people didn't want to actually play PVP. Never again.

Someone is going to be crowned Emperor after the end of campaigns.

They have leaderboards for PVP.

They reward healing in PVP and you aren't going to be ignored for playing a support character. It's not just DPS characters that will get rank on the leaderboards. That is so freaking HUGE! Healers never got counted and now they will.

There is no loot in PVP from other players so that people focus on fighting instead of leaving the fight to loot like the greedy little hoarders gamers can be.

The area for PVP is supposed to be the size of 9 normal zones. Nine freaking zones.

There is PVP specific gear.

Keeps aren't just keeps, there are 3 resource areas around each keep feeding it supplies, those can all be attacked to weaken the keep. That gives smaller groups something to do and gives each keep 4 potential places to defend/attack.

I haven't even seen but two videos on this and about 4 articles. I've gathered all that and having played GW2, I can spot that this is better.

I'm hoping for PvE in the PvP zone, that drops better unique rewards not found elsewhere in the world.  Should be better than GW2 at least.  

Not sure if the game will flop or not.  It all really depends on the PvP zone.  The PvE isn't looking to be anything much different, unfortunately.  At least the game doesn't have overly stylized gfx and there is more of a focus on first person mouse look combat over zoomed out 30,000 feet over the character.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Get informed. Read about a writer and actually read their work before slapping at keys to suggest they have an unethical agenda or are on the take. ZombieKen, you're not a Millenial. You know how to do research. That post was below you. 

Editorials always have an agenda, that's why they are printed as opinion pieces rather than news.  On investment sites, that agenda tends to be related to corporate investing.

The push is pretty clear. "Predicting The Biggest Video Game Disaster Of 2014: The Elder Scrolls Online"  The guy is supporting the prediction that the game will be a disaster. 

ZOMG, Zenimax spent 200 million on this game image  It's going to fail.

The article makes Zenimax looks unwise for making a heavy investment, and implies that the game will be another SWTOR.  The article running on an investment site implies a connection to stocks.

The OP asked why would he do this?

I think my conclusion is reasonable speculation.  Editorial journalist scaremongers investors with current or potential interest in companies in the gaming industry.  From my perspective, it looks rather obvious.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I honestly can't wait till alot of you guys try this game. I seriously suggest when it drops trying it before you buy if you are a gamer on a budget. And I am looking forward to when the NDA drops. I will say this again, this game is beautiful but quite boring and I am sorry having a compass replacing an exclamation point does not change much. FFXIV love it or hate it is good vanilla ice cream. Its a solid game if not nothing new and while not spectacular you know what you are getting - vanilla ice cream that's of very good quality.

This game? Heh, lets just say that its not even good vanilla ice cream. But please get hyped and spend your money. Great pvp means nothing if you can't stand the rest of the game. And pvp combat with that fighting system should be interesting indeed.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Disaster? No. But most likely it will have initial burst like SWTOR and then population will stabilize after few months. 

I will definitely try it and if I like it, I might play it as as my second MMO. I was in one beta event. I wasn't wowed but I also don't expect it to be a WOW killer. As a fan of TES starting from Daggerfall it will be a nice addition to my collection.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by DamonVile

Console gamers have nothing to do with it.  The MMO gamer pre-ordered their game, paid extra to play it before it was released, shelled out for the CE, and agreed to a monthly fee. To add insult to injury, they willing paid for the expansions, too. The MMO gamer has time and again told the industry "I have no familiarity with history, no concept of the difference between hope and reality, and absolutely no end to my wallet if you tell me over and over the words that I want to hear - that the game is made for me, that the features will revolutionize gaming, and that it is all based on my personal feedback."   After all, that is exactly how the past three years of MMOs have been sold, and it is the entire sales pitch for the Steam Early Access games, all of which start with "get involved with this game as it develops." Why? Because the buying patterns of the PC gamer have proven for well over a decade that there's money in doing it.  
    Why?

Do you really think Damonvile was serious, lizard? ;) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Arthasm
    Not only ESO, but Wildstar and any other MMO coming in 2014 will fail so badly, the disaster bigger than GW2.

Bigger than GW2? That game was a huge success... do you know what you are commenting on?