Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forbes Predicting Biggest Disaster of 2014

1789101113»

Comments

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Brabbit1987

I am a die hard fan of TES, and let me just say, I won't be buying ESO. I am going to ignore it even being part of the TES series. It never existed in my eyes. It's a wannabe TES game.

As I said in another thread though, for a typical themepark mmo, it's decent. So in my eyes, the ones who will stay are those who enjoy themepark MMO games. The question though is .. how long will "they" stay?

I have played every game in the series, when they came out.  Including Arena, Battlespire, and Redguard.  I am happier with ESO than I have been with anything Bethesda has made since Daggerfall, which was their greatest achievement.  (And I know, Bethesda isn't making ESO, just comparing to other games in the setting.)

And, if your standard for what a "typical" themepark MMO is is WoW, I have never been fond of that game.  Also not very impressed by Guild Wars 2.  A game is more than a list of features and a set of mechanics.  It is the "secret recipe" of how all of it's elements come together to deliver a specific and unique experience.  I think it is entirely possible ESO will become my new primary MMO, because it's recipe sings to my tastebuds.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

I am a die hard fan of TES, and let me just say, I won't be buying ESO. I am going to ignore it even being part of the TES series. It never existed in my eyes. It's a wannabe TES game.

As I said in another thread though, for a typical themepark mmo, it's decent. So in my eyes, the ones who will stay are those who enjoy themepark MMO games. The question though is .. how long will "they" stay?

I have played every game in the series, when they came out.  Including Arena, Battlespire, and Redguard.  I am happier with ESO than I have been with anything Bethesda has made since Daggerfall, which was their greatest achievement.  (And I know, Bethesda isn't making ESO, just comparing to other games in the setting.)

And, if your standard for what a "typical" themepark MMO is is WoW, I have never been fond of that game.  Also not very impressed by Guild Wars 2.  A game is more than a list of features and a set of mechanics.  It is the "secret recipe" of how all of it's elements come together to deliver a specific and unique experience.  I think it is entirely possible ESO will become my new primary MMO, because it's recipe sings to my tastebuds.

Have you played ESO yet?

Have you played ESO yet?

Let's see...  Apparently it is ok to say yes if you played at PAX, and I went to PAX, so yes.  There are some elements of single player Elder Scrolls games, regardless of which one you like best, that simply can't be translated effectively to an online game.  That being said, any individual ES game has a lot to it, and the series has changed enough over time that the series as a whole has brought even more to the table.  Depending on which parts of the formula you care about the most, it is entirely fair to think that ESO captures the important parts of the Elder Scrolls experience perfectly, or to think that it fails to do so miserably.  All depends on your priorities.  But it is not less of a "True Elder Scrolls" experience than any other ES game, it just emphasizes some elements over others, as every game in the series has done.

Ultimately, just like with any other game, the only way to make a truly informed decision about whether it lives up to the Elder Scrolls legacy or is worth paying for is to play it yourself.  Preferably the launch version, since betas have been known to include substantial changes.

The Force shall free me.

Have you played ESO yet?

Let's see...  Apparently it is ok to say yes if you played at PAX, and I went to PAX, so yes.  There are some elements of single player Elder Scrolls games, regardless of which one you like best, that simply can't be translated effectively to an online game.  That being said, any individual ES game has a lot to it, and the series has changed enough over time that the series as a whole has brought even more to the table.  Depending on which parts of the formula you care about the most, it is entirely fair to think that ESO captures the important parts of the Elder Scrolls experience perfectly, or to think that it fails to do so miserably.  All depends on your priorities.  But it is not less of a "True Elder Scrolls" experience than any other ES game, it just emphasizes some elements over others, as every game in the series has done.

Ultimately, just like with any other game, the only way to make a truly informed decision about whether it lives up to the Elder Scrolls legacy or is worth paying for is to play it yourself.  Preferably the launch version, since betas have been known to include substantial changes.

See the issue I have with that is, if what you like about the elder scrolls series is something that is not unique to the elder scrolls series, then it might as well be any other MMO. What makes the elder scroll series the series that it is, happens not to be all that much implemented into ESO.

So im not really sure how one could say it captures the important parts of the elder scrolls series if those parts you are talking about exist in other games as well.

Now keep in mind I realize other games have the same features as elder scrolls does, however, when combined it creates a unique experience along with the lore. 

To give an example a person could love pizza and the best part of pizza they like is the cheese. Just because cheese it put into tacos doesn't mean it taste like pizza or is pizza. Another might like pizza for an entirely different reason. Maybe they like the tomato sauce the best. The sauce exist in many other dishes, and yet it's still not pizza.

You need a specific set of features to make an Elder Scrolls game an Elder Scrolls game.

You can make a pizza with out the cheese .. but is it really the same? And even if the cheese isn't your favorite part .. it still isn't the same with out it.

lol I know .. such stupid examples I come up with.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Have you played ESO yet?

See the issue I have with that is, if what you like about the elder scrolls series is something that is not unique to the elder scrolls series, then it might as well be any other MMO. What makes the elder scroll series the series that it is, happens not to be all that much implemented into ESO.

So im not really sure how one could say it captures the important parts of the elder scrolls series if those parts you are talking about exist in other games as well.

Now keep in mind I realize other games have the same features as elder scrolls does, however, when combined it creates a unique experience along with the lore. 

To give an example a person could love pizza and the best part of pizza they like is the cheese. Just because cheese it put into tacos doesn't mean it taste like pizza or is pizza. Another might like pizza for an entirely different reason. Maybe they like the tomato sauce the best. The sauce exist in many other dishes, and yet it's still not pizza.

You need a specific set of features to make an Elder Scrolls game an Elder Scrolls game.

You can make a pizza with out the cheese .. but is it really the same? And even if the cheese isn't your favorite part .. it still isn't the same with out it.

Yes. Especially when your arguments seem to support the opposite point you're trying to make image

The thing about pizza and tacos is that it's pointless to try to dissect them ingredient by ingredient to determine, based on that, what else you might or might not like...especially since pizza lovers have distinct preferences of one restaurant over another.

The similarities between ESO and SP TES games is obvious...shouldn't even be up for discussion. Whether you personally like this particular one is a different story... but they're both pizzas.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703

For what it matters: WoW is derived (or at least inspired) from WC3 (if you played both. it's quite evident where WoW's idea come from, just look at the Hero Units).

Of course one is a RTS, the other a MMORPG, completely different mechanics and feeling.

Does it mean that WoW isn't a Warcraft game??

When you cross genre boundaries, changes will be made

The problem with your logic is that, generally speaking, every new Elder Scrolls game has removed at least some of the features from the previous game, while adding new ones as well.  Often the features removed had been in the whole rest of the series up until that point.  It comes down to which specific features you care about, if it was about the whole list, then Skyrim wouldn't be a "Real" Elder Scrolls game, Oblivion probably wouldn't either, and even Morrowind might not be, because none of them provided the exact same feature list as Daggerfall.  (Arena was really just a proof of concept.)

Every Elder Scrolls game, including ESO, is a pizza.  They all have the dough, cheese, and sauce.  But no two of them have come with exactly the same toppings, so if you are somebody who only likes Canadian Bacon and Pineapple, and a particular entry ends up being a Meat Lover's, then it makes sense that you wouldn't like it.  But it's still a pizza.

The Force shall free me.

Originally posted by Iselin

Yes. Especially when your arguments seem to support the opposite point you're trying to make image

The thing about pizza and tacos is that it's pointless to try to dissect them ingredient by ingredient to determine, based on that, what else you might or might not like...especially since pizza lovers have distinct preferences of one restaurant over another.

The similarities between ESO and SP TES games is obvious...shouldn't even be up for discussion. Whether you personally like this particular one is a different story... but they're both pizzas.

Ya .... I guess so. XD For me the specific parts I like about TES games seem to be missing from the MMO. One in particular, freedom to do whatever you want. lol that is probably the only one I can list with out breaking NDA ... >.> Gosh I hate this NDA crap rofl.

The problem with your logic is that, generally speaking, every new Elder Scrolls game has removed at least some of the features from the previous game, while adding new ones as well.  Often the features removed had been in the whole rest of the series up until that point.  It comes down to which specific features you care about, if it was about the whole list, then Skyrim wouldn't be a "Real" Elder Scrolls game, Oblivion probably wouldn't either, and even Morrowind might not be, because none of them provided the exact same feature list as Daggerfall.  (Arena was really just a proof of concept.)

Every Elder Scrolls game, including ESO, is a pizza.  They all have the dough, cheese, and sauce.  But no two of them have come with exactly the same toppings, so if you are somebody who only likes Canadian Bacon and Pineapple, and a particular entry ends up being a Meat Lover's, then it makes sense that you wouldn't like it.  But it's still a pizza.

Good point ... your are entirely right. 

I also like how you two went along with my example :P and turned it on me XD. To good.

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by Ice-Queen
    no one can do as horribly as the SWTOR team did

this.

Those dead static ugly planets can only occur once in gaming history.

TESO already wins hands down, it has a day night change. Can you believe it? A DAY NIGHT CHANGE!

Actually TESO looks pretty immersive, I´ll definitely check it out, but I´d rather play it longterm if it were B2P.

The sub model won´t do well.

And if it goes B2P then the delivery of quality, long term content won't do well either...ala GW2.

The danger here is that, much like SWTOR feels like a space skinned version of DAO with some multiplayer content tacked on the back of it, ESO could very well turn into the same animal.

Morrowind, Oblivion et al would never have worked as MMORPGs when they were released and the danger is Zeni simply force the game into a MMORPG template, which is how SWTOR felt to me.

I have friends in the ESO beta who are already saying the combat is sub par, the lore has been butchered, it's jammed full of "kill 20 bears" type levelling and overall the game is just very mediocre. Most people I know who have had exposure to it are already saying it's one to avoid.

Driz

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

1. I had to check the link because the article does not seem like the level of professionalism and financial perspective that I would expect from Forbes.

2. He starts right off with a bad assumption.  Saying that "even Star Wars wasn’t enough to convince The Old Republic players that the game was worth a monthly fee".  Star Wars online did not fail because of the sub model, it failed because it was crap.  I know, I tried to like it.  He obviously does not know what he is talking about.

Originally posted by ImperialSun

I have friends in the ESO beta who are already saying the combat is sub par, the lore has been butchered, it's jammed full of "kill 20 bears" type levelling and overall the game is just very mediocre. Most people I know who have had exposure to it are already saying it's one to avoid.

I would love to respond to this, but NDA.  It's really not fair to make statements like yours when the specifics that will allow others to judge whether those statements are accurate can't legally be shared.

What I can say, in regard to lore, is that we need to remember this game is set long before any other Elder Scrolls game.  It is set before the Septim Empire was even founded.  It is set during a time period that hardly gets referenced at all in other Elder Scrolls games.  So it would be very difficult for it to "butcher" the lore in any substantial way, since most of the established lore takes place either long before or long after the time period in which the game is set.

Also, unless you give us a list of prior games that the "people you know" have liked or disliked, telling us they plan to avoid ESO doesn't really tell us anything about whether anyone else should.

Originally posted by svann

2. He starts right off with a bad assumption.  Saying that "even Star Wars wasn’t enough to convince The Old Republic players that the game was worth a monthly fee".  Star Wars online did not fail because of the sub model, it failed because it was crap.  I know, I tried to like it.  He obviously does not know what he is talking about.

He is not the only one starting with a bad assumption.  TOR hasn't failed.  It is currently the second most successful MMO which offers a subscription option, and it's number of subscribers *increased* when the free option was added.

The Force shall free me.