Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In defence of Guild Wars 2 Combat Mode 2.0 mod!

gopegope Member Posts: 40

First thing:

Video Demo of the mod  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tjK5OI2oAQ

Reddit link to Combat mode 2.0  http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1a3the/

If the Guild Wars 2 team's lazy and greedy approach to development is not their most frustrating part.It's their stubborn  behaviour and their  unwillingness to admit mistakes.

Because as i am writing this, the person who made the mode can't release it do to restrictions.

In the old days of the Guild Wars 1 team would have hired him(GW 1 team ) .The Guild Wars 2 team pretends it doesn't exist.And as you saw from the links at the start it not only it changes radically the combat making it more fun,but all so tremendously improves the combat making it more enjoyable.

If you think i am only here to fight for some mode for Guild Wars 2.You will be half right .I am here also because i want set an example,that if the combat mode 2.0 success.It will maybe not make media companies to think twos before the act,but it can and will give a good example for the people.And yes we are not entitled to the game,because we are not directly involved,but we all have the rights to demand for better quality and respect.Also because of the frustration.And last because i want please you to spread the message to other people.

So please help to make a better game and a better gaming world.And don't forget  .

Comments

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    Seems like a very cool mod and a huge improvement over the game's original combat system.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I don't quite get it. This is the basic combat system used by most games. So if you like this kind of combat this much, then why don't you just play the other games?
    Harbinger of Fools
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Its just a Darkfall Style combat :) xcept Darkfall was made manual aiming.  I do agree it is a nice combat style i did like it in Darkfall.
  • VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Originally posted by stealthbr
    Seems like a very cool mod and a huge improvement over the game's original combat system.

I've been using it ever since it was released. If i got banned for using it or it ever stopped working i would not continue to play.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    A more twitch-based combat system would do this game much justice. While I can agree that it just doesn't belong in some games, it definitely has its place in GW2. Although I currently play the game, the combat does feel a bit lackluster in comparison to every other aspect of the game.
    Isaiah 41:10
  • vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129
    If GW2 was released with such combat system I might still be playing it right now, but as long as Anet is making me play an action combat with some strange lame hybrid character control I just can't go back into this game. It's like playing Quake with joystick.
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    From watching half the video, it appears to transform the gameplay into something identical to Tabula Rasa's gameplay.  The action combat mode might be more fun for some, while others prefer tab-style combat.  I think this would be good if they integrated it into the game.
  • DarkagesDarkages Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I wish GW 2 had this type of combat, i might play it more.

Ok guys, I did a little digging, and right now 1.1 is the version to use. Here's the link for it:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/10s4s6/combat_mode_11/

Click MediaFire Download once you get there, and here's a tutorial I found on how to install it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9kS1wKnXe8

The guy says you have to go into windowed full screen mode, but that's only if you REALLY want to see the crosshair. Personally, it makes my graphics suck, so I just stay in full screen. CM1.1 has a settings application that shows you what key binds to use for certain commands like shift + left click, mouse scroll, etc.

I just now did it, same UI and everything, but makes the game a lot more fun.

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Note that if you use this, you take the risk of getting your account banned.

Just a friendly warning.

The creator of the mod himself said that it's safe to use because it doesn't give any advantage over a person who isn't using it. However, this is for the 1.0 and 1.1 version only, but the 2.0 version that some are using change up the UI, and could pose as an advantage over someone else. If anything, though, 1.0 and 1.1 leave its users at a disadvantage because the element of aiming is added. In its simplest form, all it is is an an external key mapping program made just for GW2 that holds the right mouse button (look around button) down for you while targeting whatever is in front of you. This is much easier for normal users to accomplish, just without the twitch-based aesthetic feel to it.

• mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135

Yeah it looks like darkfail combat…. WE DONT WANT THIS !!!!

Tab targeting is fine, the key in combat it movement and managing the skills.

Step in the arena and break the wall down

Originally posted by Talemire

Note that if you use this, you take the risk of getting your account banned.

Just a friendly warning.

The creator of the mod himself said that it's safe to use because it doesn't give any advantage over a person who isn't using it. However, this is for the 1.0 and 1.1 version only, but the 2.0 version that some are using change up the UI, and could pose as an advantage over someone else. If anything, though, 1.0 and 1.1 leave its users at a disadvantage because the element of aiming is added, also because it's basically only an external key mapping program made just for GW2.

The official community managers said on the forums a few times that any external tool including this mod are illegal and if you're caught using them, your account will most likely be banned.

So use at your own risk.

Ahh ok, I didn't know that. Dang, thanks for the heads up man.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Vutar
    Originally posted by Dakeru
    I don't quite get it. This is the basic combat system used by most games. So if you like this kind of combat this much, then why don't you just play the other games?

So by your reasoning, if I like mobile transportation, I should use a a horse because obviously an updated version like a car is simply pointless. There are so many horses around afterall.

But, if you drive a car it must be driven by the rules and regulations given by the authorities. If Anet sets the speed limit than we need to abide by it or we risk disabling standardization among all players. If they allow the mod then they must think it safe, and until then just play by their rules. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by gope

First thing:

Video Demo of the mod  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tjK5OI2oAQ

Reddit link to Combat mode 2.0  http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1a3the/

If the Guild Wars 2 team's lazy and greedy approach to development is not their most frustrating part.It's their stubborn  behaviour and their  unwillingness to admit mistakes.

Because as i am writing this, the person who made the mode can't release it do to restrictions.

In the old days of the Guild Wars 1 team would have hired him(GW 1 team ) .The Guild Wars 2 team pretends it doesn't exist.And as you saw from the links at the start it not only it changes radically the combat making it more fun,but all so tremendously improves the combat making it more enjoyable.

If you think i am only here to fight for some mode for Guild Wars 2.You will be half right .I am here also because i want set an example,that if the combat mode 2.0 success.It will maybe not make media companies to think twos before the act,but it can and will give a good example for the people.And yes we are not entitled to the game,because we are not directly involved,but we all have the rights to demand for better quality and respect.Also because of the frustration.And last because i want please you to spread the message to other people.

So please help to make a better game and a better gaming world.And don't forget  .

We can't convince to add worthwhile content, I doubt they'll add something this cool to it. It would be a great addition to the game. 

I couldn't help but think about something like this being done with Age of Conan, if legal, with a similar button remapping.
  • RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
     I don't understand, what about this mod makes the combat better? From the video it seems to just allow mouse over targeting, by changing the pointer to a crosshair, which only adds an aiming element to the game. How is this a "better" or "more fluid" system than whats currently in place? Tab targeting is as simple as combat can get, targeting in Gw2 in general is already well done within their system. Am I missing something here?
  • gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

I've been using the mod since it first came out (pre-version 1), and it is really great. I can't play without it now.

It changes the gameplay so that you move using the mouse, instead of the usual *hold-mouse-to-move* and *use-mouse-pointer-to-aim*. Also, it binds the most used attack to the left mouse click and the dodge to the right click. Which makes INCREDIBLE sense. It is easier to do jumping puzzles with this mod, as well as make dynamic combat (PvP) a bit easier to manage, and since GW2 devs are mad about their puzzles and balance, they were reluctant to embrace it.

However, there are many people who have been using it for maaaaany months, without any issues.

The dev, as far as I know, stopped working on the project after he moved on to the other games, which is why the concept is no longer being developed sadly. Great little app tho, just comes to show what opening up the UI to the public can do for a game!

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I think its great. The combat in Guildwars 2 I feel even fans would admit is a bit of a weak spot, and this would help improve it. While i do think more would need to be done to make it a 'good' combat system, having it set in hat manor would add the 'skill' they so proclaim to be involved in the game (aka making more room for it to be competitive) and help with its otherwise quite clunky feeling combat system to feel smoother. I'm sure it won't fix all the issues with it, but it would do a lot to improving the experience.

Honestly, no clue why this couldn't be added in, again, won't fix complete the fact the combat system is "Bleh" , but its a huge step in the right direction to make it decent.

• gopegope Member Posts: 40

I am not doing it  to add action combat to guild wars 2,upgrade Guild Wars 2 or even make it like Tera.

I understand if you don't like that type of thing.

I mostly doing it because this guy put his time and money in to it and arenanet goes that's nice.

Even  though 1.1 does a lot of cool staff,it has flaws.

2.2 fixes a lot of them,but it  heavily augments.

Which mean that your cheating by using it.

And by using it,you will get banned.

I understand i am asking a lot from you.But please give this guy a chance and help him.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

Guild Wars 2 needs an option for this yesterday.

It's such a simple feature but such a game changer for how combat feels.

"We don't need this"

FOH. Speak for yourself.  I'd love to see this feature in, might use the mod and actually risk the ban too.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Not impressed, at least regarding group combat (WvW) where you may need to lock on to a single target in a group. Looks interesting for solo PvE, but lacking in any large scale combat situations.

Definitely not worth a ban.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by Redemp
     I don't understand, what about this mod makes the combat better? From the video it seems to just allow mouse over targeting, by changing the pointer to a crosshair, which only adds an aiming element to the game. How is this a "better" or "more fluid" system than whats currently in place? Tab targeting is as simple as combat can get, targeting in Gw2 in general is already well done within their system. Am I missing something here?

Ditto.

Had to scratch my head and think why would I absolutely must have to use this, couldn't come up with anything other than they've associated certain actions to the mouse, I can live without it.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    I don't see what's so great about the mod. It might be fine for PvE if you like the crosshairs thing, but in PvP you're going to get your ass handed to you me thinks.

imageimage
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I guess it would be a nice option for some people on how to play the game.  I'm all about giving player options.  However, for the game's style of PVP that mode will most likely be detrimental.  For PVE'ing and dealing with AI it would be fine, but it wouldn't be something I would use.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Knowing where you are exactly shooting at has it uses.

At the moment you can choose between Autotargeting or not - autotargeting on allows the game to choose a target for your skills if you have nothing selected.

Having autotargeting activated is good as sometimes (when you have nothing targeted) you think you are shooting someone in front of you but apparently the camera is too low and the skill is missed or when you use skills like savage leap you just overshoot the intend target.

The downside is that skills like savage leap are also very useful to escape combat, but if you have autotargeting selected the game will sometimes choose animals or enemies behind you.

It is also annoying that the skills will turn 180 degrees to shoot at enemies selected behind you (this has nothing to do with autotargeting).

I'm not sure if combat mod or a crosshair is the solution, but there could be some improvements.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders