Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ok SWG Vets................... let your money speak!

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Not supporting any more Kickstarters until I see how SOTA turns out. Was my first pledge that succeeded so gonna ride that wave for a while and hope for the best.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Originally posted by Iselin

The next time I see an OP in this forum as positive and enthusiastic as yours is about a game that isn't an indie KS, I'll stop being sarcastic about how mmorpg.com chic it is to cheer exclusively for the unknown little guys... deal?

BTW... I obviously follow the Repop as well.... I think that was in there somewhere amid my sarcasm.

Well probably you missed the thousands of positive and  over-enthusiastic threads about SWTOR, GW2 and TSW prior release (Can't say the same people didn't change their mind after release though).

What about the positive ones about Wildstar and EQNext?

In fact the only AAA MMO who is having a hard time to gather some support is ESO.

So I don't understand what you are blubbing about........

In fact AAA Themeparks already have tons of positive press and crazy Fanboys to support them, so if sometimes few threads in support of Indie games pops up, it shouldn't disturb you too much.

So it must be really easy then for you to find one here in The Pub to link... I'll wait.

BTW...blubbing is not a word... I think you meant "blubbering." 

And yes, we all know very well how you take every opportunity to tell us how ESO is nothing like the ES  series in contrast to the opinion of practically every single person who has actually played it in beta or at a show ... presumably because you consider that particular single player themepark, where you get to choose the order in which you take the rides, a sandbox.

I see trendy people trending...

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Not supporting any more Kickstarters until I see how SOTA turns out. Was my first pledge that succeeded so gonna ride that wave for a while and hope for the best.

Did you try Beta 1,not much to do  but was pretty impressed  as a tech demo Garriot seems to be doing a Roberts full transparency btw this is what you will get with Repop and Above and Beyond no BS that goes a long way with me.

p>
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Jacxolope

End this madness. The quality we keep getting is shit. Garbage and broken regardless of whats on paper. Once someone makes something quality it will sell. 

I beg your pardon............ tell me one single Kickstarter MMO who didn't deliver........

I save you some time..........none.

Simply because the Kickstarter method is fairly new, I believe The Repopulation was the first MMORPG to started the trend 2 years ago.

Making a MMO costs at least $10 Million on a small scale and around $ 50 Million for an AAA. It ain't cheap...............and $10 Millions are almost impossible to find for a new Business.

Darkfall was in development for 9 years before release and even after release it wasn't polished at all................that's the production cycle we can expect by self financed Indie games.

Kickstarter gives those Indie devs the budget of a AAA MMO............take Star Citizen $40 Million, probably is the same budget as EQNext.

So until we see the result of the first Kickstarter founded MMO, we shouldn't make too many assumptions.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Um....no. When it releases I'll consider buying it if and when it's released and I see the feedback on it.I work to hard for my money to throw it to some developer who isn't capable of selling his concept to the people who have money.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Um....no. When it releases I'll consider buying it if and when it's released and I see the feedback on it.I work to hard for my money to throw it to some developer who isn't capable of selling his concept to the people who have money.

Its F2P.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

End this madness. The quality we keep getting is shit. Garbage and broken regardless of whats on paper. Once someone makes something quality it will sell. 

I beg your pardon............ tell me one single Kickstarter MMO who didn't deliver........

I save you some time..........none.

Simply because the Kickstarter method is fairly new, I believe The Repopulation was the first MMORPG to started the trend 2 years ago.

Making a MMO costs at least $10 Million on a small scale and around $ 50 Million for an AAA. It ain't cheap...............and $10 Millions are almost impossible to find for a new Business.

Darkfall was in development for 9 years before release and even after release it wasn't polished at all................that's the production cycle we can expect by self financed Indie games.

Kickstarter gives those Indie devs the budget of a AAA MMO............take Star Citizen $40 Million, probably is the same budget as EQNext.

So until we see the result of the first Kickstarter founded MMO, we shouldn't make too many assumptions.

That statement was about sandbox gaming in general- Not only crowdfunded.

You keep bringing up Star Citizen- 2 points. Its not out and its not an MMORPG. We have no idea what 40 million or any other amount will produce.

I have not sen 1 crowdfunded MMO deliver anything and the one I know about (Greed Monger) has already changed concepts and missed deadlines after getting more money than asked for and honestly- Its looking Grim on that game.

I could care about giving some indie guys a "AAA" budget so they can profit after I invest. They could always take that risk themselves and find fundig other ways...They could downgrade some shiney graphics, start smaller and make something with less "features" which will end up broken and buggy anyhow.

-Eh. have fun. I really hope it succeeds since I love sandbox games- Dont think it will though. Think I already listed the excuses to come. Hope your money was well spent so I can see the game and if I enjoy it purchase a finished product.

Originally posted by Fearum

Its F2P.

=/

WOW. Okay....

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

awesome thanks for the headsup, backed it

Sandbox MMOs FTW

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

Its F2P.

=/

WOW. Okay....

The F2P is just the basic account.

They will also have 3 Membership Tiers which will offer better perks

BTW, The Repopulation isnt just a Crowd Funded (KS) game. The Developers have put a considerable amount of their own $$ into the game. They Self-Funded the game for (I believe) 3 years before going to Kickstarter

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

So it must be really easy then for you to find one here in The Pub to link... I'll wait.

And yes, we all know very well how you take every opportunity to tell us how ESO is nothing like the ES  series in contrast to the opinion of practically every single person who has actually played it in beta or at a show ... presumably because you consider that particular single player themepark, where you get to choose the order in which you take the rides, a sandbox.

Do you want me to link threads of 2- 3 years ago? Are you kidding me?

You don't remember the Hype bubble of games like SWTOR, GW2 and TSW pre-release? You must have been quite distracted to miss it.

As for ESO the reason I mentioned in my post was to say that unlike other games like Wildstar and EQNext it has mixed opinion, just look at the Hypermeter (just stating the obvious), it has nothing to do with my opinion, since I personally don't think any better of Wildstar and EQNext, but those last 2 games gets more enthusiastic threads than ESO.

I am stating some facts, nothing personal.

Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

Its F2P.

=/

WOW. Okay....

The F2P is just the basic account.

They will also have 3 Membership Tiers which will offer better perks

BTW, The Repopulation isnt just a Crowd Funded (KS) game. The Developers have put a considerable amount of their own $$ into the game. They Self-Funded the game for (I believe) 3 years before going to Kickstarter

Cool TYVM (back on my radar...)

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Except that if you throw out Star Citizen (which is basically the WoW of the Kickstarter world for whatever reason) no KS has raised more than a four or five  million. 

One reason I threw money at Pathfinder Online was I found their campaign goals very reasonable. Basically make a small but playable game with the Kickstarter money (+ money from outside investors so they actually do actually have at least a few million dollars) and then build on that.

Not meaning to pick on The Repop here but some of these other Kickstarter campaigns remind me of politicians who promise anything just to get elected. When I see "OMG we're going to make a game with every sandbox feature you ever wanted for $100,000 and it's going to have a *huge* world and HD graphics blah blah blah...!" I get very leery. At the very least it shows they don't have much idea of the true costs of what their goals are.

It's much better to undersell and overdeliver on Kickstarter than the reverse.

Don't get me wrong, I'm watching The Repopulation closely and will definitely check it out when it launches but it does seem an awfully ambitious game for the budget they have.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Nope. I'm not pre-funding any indie mmos. It's too big of a risk. Devs change their minds and design direction too much. What I buy into now won't necessarily be what is delivered 6 months from now.

Every upstart indie dev thinks they're going to rewrite the mmo handbook and show all those corporate bastards how it's done. None of them have done it yet or really even delivered on a first rate game experience, especially the sandbox devs. If these people can actually get it out the door and deliver then I'll take a look at it, see what the game play is like, and fund it if it's worth the money.

That is essentially my opinion.

I wish them success because I want a game this that works properly and also because the more people getting burned by these indie sandboxes means the more skeptical we all we will be when something finally comes along that really could really be a huge success.

I will watch it and give it a try at release and go from there.

Its F2P.

Can you explain that Ktanner3 I'm confused here ?

How is it then that Repop is always in and out of the Mmorpg.com Heat chart had numerous appearances at Pax and other shows,garnered a massive following and now has over 30k on the KS with 28 days left ?

And JC and the rest are regular posters on these forums,and all this this by word of mouth from the devs and community I would say they had done a damn fine job and the new trailer is very professional same as their website so I think the concept has got across wouldn't you ?

p>
    Originally posted by darker70

Its F2P.

How is it then that Repop is always in and out of the Mmorpg.com Heat chart had numerous appearances at Pax and other shows,garnered a massive following and now has over 30k on the KS with 28 days left ?

And JC and the rest are regular posters on these forums,and all this this by word of mouth from the devs and community I would say they had done a damn fine job and the new trailer is very professional same as their website so I think the concept has got across wouldn't you ?

Go back and find the old MO trailors.

-People are still waiting for that game.

The concept and the trailors are a good step but its the execution that fails time and again.

Concept sounds solid. Game sounds good- But the execution is what is going to matter and that is up in the air until launch.

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

The next time I see an OP in this forum as positive and enthusiastic as yours is about a game that isn't an indie KS, I'll stop being sarcastic about how mmorpg.com chic it is to cheer exclusively for the unknown little guys... deal?

BTW... I obviously follow the Repop as well.... I think that was in there somewhere amid my sarcasm.

Well probably you missed the thousands of positive and  over-enthusiastic threads about SWTOR, GW2 and TSW prior release (Can't say the same people didn't change their mind after release though).

What about the positive ones about Wildstar and EQNext?

In fact the only AAA MMO who is having a hard time to gather some support is ESO.

So I don't understand what you are blubbing about........

In fact AAA Themeparks already have tons of positive press and crazy Fanboys to support them, so if sometimes few threads in support of Indie games pops up, it shouldn't disturb you too much.

I see trendy people trending...

ES games are world sims with the game inside.

ES was never considered a themepark any more than GTA was or star wars for that matter.

That has nothing to do with trends.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

I have not sen 1 crowdfunded MMO deliver anything and the one I know about (Greed Monger) has already changed concepts and missed deadlines after getting more money than asked for and honestly- Its looking Grim on that game.

But you keep missing my point.............there is not Kickstarter MMO out yet because it is too early.

The first Kickstarter founded MMO was the Repopulation 2 years ago............but it takes on average 4-5 years for a AAA MMO to develop............so you do the mats.

You can't judge Kickstarter founded games because they are still not out yet........it is too early.

Tell me something, do you prefer buying the game you want to play in advance by foundinging it, or do you prefer throwing $50 at games like SWTOR when they release..............wasting your money anyway.

Right now I prefer the first solution, I thrown so much money in AAA MMOs which I played for just a month and gave me so much disappointment, that giving $50 to someone who genuinelly wants to make the game I want to play is the least of my concern...........

Another thing, before you back a game you need to be sure who are you backing.............. if you check Greed Monger developer background , it screams "Don't give money to that guy"........... that's all I am saying.

Of course not every Kickstarter games deserves to be backed..............like everything else in MMO developement there are the good apples and the bad apples............

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Looking forward to trying this game.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

Its F2P.

The concept and the trailors are a good step but its the execution that fails time and again.

Concept sounds solid. Game sounds good- But the execution is what is going to matter and that is up in the air until launch.

The old Mo trailers are pointless that was pre alpha they have are now using Hero Engine 2,it's like comparing a Porsche to a Morris Minor that was 2 years ago,the new KS trailer is how the game is now and what the new Beta testers will test in March.

p>

Its F2P.

The old Mo trailers are pointless that was pre alpha they have are now using Hero Engine 2,it's like comparing a Porsche to a Morris Minor that was 2 years ago,the new KS trailer is how the game is now and what the new Beta testers will test in March.

No, my point is that prior to release the trailor looked better than the game currently does. FAR BETTER. The listed features sound fantastic. The game looked like heaven in those trailors (not just alpha) and in the dev chats and feature lists.

But none of that mattered, did it? No because having a good trailor and awesome features does not make a game.

The release needs to speak for itself.

Of course trailers can be deceiving.

But I want to remind you that MO has never been founded by Kickstarter............ that was its problem.

It has been founded by a rich kid that put his dad money in making the game.

MO budget was probably around 500k before they started selling Beta spots, and I am sure that even after their budget didn't hit the $1 Million mark..................and with $1 Million you cannot make a Facebook game nowadays, let alone an MMO.

So I am not surprised the game turned out to be shite.

That's why it is important that players support serious Indie devs giving them the chance to develop the game with a good size Team (not just 3 people), so we don't have to go through the whole MO drama all over again.

• ZoNEEZoNEE Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Ive backed them in there 1st kickstarter, and ill be doing it again in this one. I have been following them for a while now.. i like what i have read, and seen. Backing them helps to make it a better game that i will be playing. So in a way im spending the money on myself.

But you keep missing my point.............there is not Kickstarter MMO out yet because it is too early.

The first Kickstarter founded MMO was the Repopulation 2 years ago............but it takes on average 4-5 years for a AAA MMO to develop............so you do the mats.

You can't judge Kickstarter founded games because they are still not out yet........it is too early.

Tell me something, do you prefer buying the game you want to play in advance by foundinging it, or do you prefer throwing $50 at games like SWTOR when they release..............wasting your money anyway.

Right now I prefer the first solution, I thrown so much money in AAA MMOs which I played for just a month and gave me so much disappointment, that giving $50 to someone who genuinelly wants to make the game I want to play is the least of my concern...........

Another thing, before you back a game you need to be sure who are you backing.............. if you check Greed Monger developer background , it screams "Don't give money to that guy"........... that's all I am saying.

Of course not every Kickstarter games deserves to be backed..............like everything else in MMO developement there are the good apples and the bad apples............

I understand your reasoning and its very similar to how I used to feel.

But I have been burned. I have watched other hype something and watch as it never materializes.

I DO support Kickstarter projects. Supported FTL and was very please, supported Grimoire and I am still waiting nearly a year past due but I am okay with this. The projects I support are not overly ambitious. This is where the trouble happens. Its not just Crowdfunding I am talking about but all indie sandbox games- They always promise the world, sound great and deliver crap.

I am done giving money to unfinished products. I liked Kickstarter but I am now seeing a pretty bad trend which I do not like (a separate topic) and I love Sandbox games but they are always over promised and under delivered and often nearly unplayable. I got sucked into the MO thing and thats the last time. 

Its nothing personal about this particular game- Its the Indie sandbox with all kinds of features that I am very leery of at this point.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

That's why it is important that players support serious Indie devs giving them the chance to develop the game with a good size Team (not just 3 people), so we don't have to go through the whole MO drama all over again.

Most people don't have unlimited money to "support serious indie devs"  I've given too much to various Kickstarters already and all I have to really show for it so far  is one fairly mediocre game. Kickstarter is a good idea but the market is saturated right now. A lot of people want to see some of these games come out before they throw money at more plus how many MMOs can one guy seriously play? Even if I had more money, donating to 10 different MMOs is kind of dumb.

Seriously, if you are affiliated with these devs you need to stop begging and using guilt tactics. It will turn people off who are on the fence about backing TRP.