Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: what world do you want to play in?

2»

Comments

• geelgeel Member UncommonPosts: 93

Low fantasy is exactly how you would interpret it. There is usually less traditional fantasy stuff going on. But the core of it means that it has non-rational things happen in a rational world. 

At least that's what it said when I just looked it up. No idea where the guy above me got his definition.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642
       What's the difference between high fantasy and low fantasy? It's all fantasy to me.
  • SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861

Generally, low fantasy means nonrational things exist and happen in an otherwise rational world. High fantasy is usually characterized by the world itself being irrational.

The line can blur. If low fantasy explains itself thoroughly enough, the content can approach high fantasy levels of implausibility, while a high fantasy setting can be lazily-explained and rather mundane.

Low fantasy: crazy stuff, plausible reasons/mechanics behind it.

High fantasy: stuff just happens because powerz n stuff.

Edit: I picked "steampunk" because I love all the silly _____punk genres. And cyberpunk, which isn't silly at all. Can't frigging WAIT for Cyberpunk 2077. I have been waiting for that game since like 94.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Medieval technology, early renaisance setting with weird monsters like xyzxyz's, geletenous cubs and spectral spiders etc. Kind of like a vampire game without the vampire theme. I usually go medieval / fantasy but want something kind of like that but a little different. I clicked High fantasy

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198

Low to no magic fantasy medievil.

Futuristic scifi that's powered by magic instead of science would be interesting.

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Dark Fantasy - e.g. Elric of Menilbone from Michael Moorcock.

I second this, Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion books would be a great idea for MMO's. 

Outside of that I would love to see a Shadowrun MMO.

• TholdarianTholdarian Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Either steampunk or the modern day/conspiracy setting TSW is set in. I personally find a mix of an 'ordinary' world colliding with an unexplainable and surreal 'secret world' pretty interesting. Wouldn't have to cover all the myths TSW is using and Illuminati are not necessary, but that duality of the world is the important part, for me at least.
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by LittleBoot
    Originally posted by immodium
    Why two Sci-fi options? Star Wars and Trek are both classed as Space Operas.

They aren't really space opera, they are very limited in their scope.  

Wictionary states:

1. space opera(Noun)

A subgenre of speculative fiction or science fiction that emphasizes space travel, romantic adventure, and larger-than-life characters often set against vast exotic settings. Used initially as a derogatory term.

2. Origin: Compound of . The term was originally derived from the term horse opera and thus indirectly from soap opera, and was coined to describe a specific hackneyed science fiction writing style.

3. space opera(Noun)

A subgenre of speculative fiction or science fiction that utilises serialisation.

Bob Tucker 1941...fansite magazine:

In these hectic days of phrase-coining, we offer one. Westerns are called "horse operas," the morning housewife tear-jerkers are called "soap operas," For the hacky, grinding, stinking, outworn space-ship yarn, or world-saving for that matter, we offer "space opera."

The freedictionary.com states:

(Performing Arts) a science fiction drama, such as a film or television programme, esp one dealing with interplanetary flight

Quoted from Del Ray Books:

It took nearly ten years to accomplish the redefinition, but by the early years of the 1980s the Del Reys' efforts succeeded in altering the perceived meaning of space opera. Their model by the end of the 1970s at Del Rey became Star Wars (the book, and the film) and its sequels. And in the end Del Rey books attached Brackett's considerable prestige and authority to the Star Wars project when Brackett, also an accomplished screen writer, did the script for The Empire Strikes Back. The Del Rey novelization of the film has both her name on it as well as the novelizer's. And so in the popular mind, within a few years, Star Wars was conflated with Star Trek fiction to contour the new image of space opera: by the mid-1980s space opera was a code term in US marketing circles for bestselling popular SF entertainment.

Just fyi :)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by PerfArt

Generally, low fantasy means nonrational things exist and happen in an otherwise rational world. High fantasy is usually characterized by the world itself being irrational.

The line can blur. If low fantasy explains itself thoroughly enough, the content can approach high fantasy levels of implausibility, while a high fantasy setting can be lazily-explained and rather mundane.

Low fantasy: crazy stuff, plausible reasons/mechanics behind it.

High fantasy: stuff just happens because powerz n stuff.

Edit: I picked "steampunk" because I love all the silly _____punk genres. And cyberpunk, which isn't silly at all. Can't frigging WAIT for Cyberpunk 2077. I have been waiting for that game since like 94.

Low fantasy = Set in our primary world

High Fantasy = set in a made up fictional world.

These are the two most common (that I've found) uses of their meanings.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Waterlily
    High fantasy, it seems to be the only genre without guns or lasers.

Agreed, though they seem to be creeping into the genre quite a lot these days.

I'm a fan of high fantasy but I can enjoy the others if the mood strikes me. Anything dark, violent, or war-centric is ideal.

Other than Tolkien, Warhammer and World of Darkness are the only other two settings that I really love. Forgotten realms is good too, but always seems to have something that annoys me too.

• Thessik_IrontailThessik_Irontail Member UncommonPosts: 76

What the hell?

Where is the world of darkness themed option? You know.. werewolves, vampires, things like that.

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    I didn't vote as my option would be Cyberpunk.
  • LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by Comaf
    Originally posted by LittleBoot
    Originally posted by immodium
    Why two Sci-fi options? Star Wars and Trek are both classed as Space Operas.

They aren't really space opera, they are very limited in their scope.  

Wictionary states:

1. space opera(Noun)

A subgenre of speculative fiction or science fiction that emphasizes space travel, romantic adventure, and larger-than-life characters often set against vast exotic settings. Used initially as a derogatory term.

2. Origin: Compound of . The term was originally derived from the term horse opera and thus indirectly from soap opera, and was coined to describe a specific hackneyed science fiction writing style.

3. space opera(Noun)

A subgenre of speculative fiction or science fiction that utilises serialisation.

Bob Tucker 1941...fansite magazine:

In these hectic days of phrase-coining, we offer one. Westerns are called "horse operas," the morning housewife tear-jerkers are called "soap operas," For the hacky, grinding, stinking, outworn space-ship yarn, or world-saving for that matter, we offer "space opera."

The freedictionary.com states:

(Performing Arts) a science fiction drama, such as a film or television programme, esp one dealing with interplanetary flight

Quoted from Del Ray Books:

It took nearly ten years to accomplish the redefinition, but by the early years of the 1980s the Del Reys' efforts succeeded in altering the perceived meaning of space opera. Their model by the end of the 1970s at Del Rey became Star Wars (the book, and the film) and its sequels. And in the end Del Rey books attached Brackett's considerable prestige and authority to the Star Wars project when Brackett, also an accomplished screen writer, did the script for The Empire Strikes Back. The Del Rey novelization of the film has both her name on it as well as the novelizer's. And so in the popular mind, within a few years, Star Wars was conflated with Star Trek fiction to contour the new image of space opera: by the mid-1980s space opera was a code term in US marketing circles for bestselling popular SF entertainment.

Just fyi :)

I stand corrected.  The reason I never really considered Star Wars Space Opera is because (other than the setting) it isn't really very sci-fi.  In fact it is basically a Battle of Britain type war film relocated into space.  

When I think of space opera I think of something much more fundamentally sci-fi.  

And I forgot steam punk- whoops.  

I also forgot werewolf/ vampire type stuff- but I think that is largely because if I never see either again on tv or in a movie it will still be too soon.