Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Edge of Space - The World is Alive & Working Against You

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

In our latest RPG Files, we take a look at a brand new sandbox title, Edge of Space, that is currently in its beta phase of development. Described as a world hostile to players, it's a game that should have sandboxers excited. Read on to find out more.

If Edge of Space seems familiar, you’re not alone in thinking so. The game, which was funded through a successful Kickstarter campaign just last year, is currently in beta and firmly following in the footsteps of titles like Minecraft and Terraria (and drawing comparisons to this year’s Starbound). Such is the influence of Terraria that the team from Handyman games, makers of Edge of Space, has teamed up with Terraria to produce crossover content. So, aside from the similarities in this genre that has been carved out over the past several years, there has to be something to make this game stand out from others. 

Read more of Christina Gonzalez's RPG Files: Edge of Space - The World is Alive & Working Against You.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

I actually really enjoy these 2D Sandbox games...

I tried not only this game but Terraria (pretty much the 2D Sandbox godfather), Asteria, Darkout, Starbound, Crea (most RPG elements) and am waiting on Signs of Life (Currently in Steam Greenlight)

Looking forward to see what good comes out of some of these... Edge of space has some of the best crafting (thik SWG) at least in concept.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291

BLAH.....is this not the 21st century? I refuse to play games that run on a Nintendo 8-bit console. What is with all these indie developers pumping out this garbage in droves?

Society is dumbing down another degree again.

• SengellSengell Member UncommonPosts: 30

I think you are mistaken, Deathwolf. Since big producers are reluctant to develop sandbox games at all cause they fear th majority doesn't want it, games like this one are the only option left for people who like to enjoy sandboxes. 

And about "society dumbing down" i think the opposite way than you. Since big mainstream games are dumbing down in a lot of aspects cause they want to cater to every last person out there, people who want to experience a challenging gameplay and find hardship rewarding in itself as a type of joy, have to look at niche products which the majority despises like you to some extent.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Which World is working against me? Some developers must live in a different realm... my world is working FOR me and WITH me, not against me. WTH

Mindcontrolling in gaming now? Get OFF.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by DeathWolf2u

BLAH.....is this not the 21st century? I refuse to play games that run on a Nintendo 8-bit console. What is with all these indie developers pumping out this garbage in droves?

word!

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

The harsh trend to 2d Sandboxes like these makes me wonder how many people will play Everquest Landmark. Pretty much the 3d version of all these indie games.

I for one can not wait, since i refuse to play 2d games as well. Even tho i admit that gameplay > grafics and sandbox > all, but anyways haha.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie

word!

The word being: ^Examples. Of what you may ask? Of everything that is wrong with the community.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I'm sure Terraria being a 2D 8bit-looking sandbox side scroller will surely fail with your lack of support.

Oh wait, that's right, out of their 3 million+ units sold, I'm sure your one sale won't be missed at all.