Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Head count - Free or Sub game

Comments

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Originally posted by tom_gore

What do you mean by "RL pull"?

Personally, nothing makes me feel a "pull" more than a subscription. I feel that if I don't play as much as possible, I'll be wasting money, and that feeling is not a good one. Also, trying a sub game after a pause often requires paying one month sub, even if you only try it for an hour and see that nothing's really changed.

Really? The average sub for most MMOs is around 15$/month. Goin to movies, renting movies, going out in any way shape or form for any entertainment is going to cost you way more than 15$/month. Your cable,internet, satillite, buying a new single player game is all going to cost more than 15$/month also. So really a MMO with sub is probibly about the cheapest form of entertainment around in this day n age.

Even if you go back and have to resub...if you only play an hour, you probibly won't notice any differences in that length of time. So most people will log on several times during that month they paid for just to see if it really is worth resubbing or not.

I don't understand all these 'OMG, no way am I paying a sub for this game no matter how great it is.' type. If you can't handle a small sub charge every month because it costs too much, then you should either

a)find a better job

b) find a new hobby (tho I don't know of many hobbies that will cost you less than 15$/month)

c) or simply don't subscribe and stop complaining every MMO should be B2W or F2P. Plenty of those kinda games being made all the time.

I'll take a sub model any day over a f2p. Even if I only have a few hours a week to play it...will still be cheap entertainment.

• SgtPepperUKSgtPepperUK Member UncommonPosts: 30

I feel that if I don't play as much as possible, I'll be wasting money, and that feeling is not a good one.

I've never understood this line of reasoning.

If you had a gym membership, which would certainly cost more than an MMO sub, would you feel the need to be there all the time? If you had a phone contract would you feel the need to be using it as much as possible?

Now that I think about it further, I would love a subscription model.

One that is paid by the hour, not by the month.

Maybe I need to move to China.

Originally posted by Superman0X
    My personal favorite is pay by the minute. This is the single most fair way to do a pay to play game.This way, people who want to play 100 hours a week, can do so, and will support the game. Those of us that only have an hour to two a week, can pay for the time we spend.

How much would you expect someone, realistically,  to charge for a pay-per-hour/pay-per-minute game and how long would the player have before such costs started to exceed the price of a sub? Probably not all that long.

Anyway, I answered sub. Simply because with a proper sub game I can pay a fixed cost at the start of the month and that's it. I don't need to worry about incurring additional costs later or spending more than I intended.

Think about it, nobody wants to die, there's rules to this game son, I'm justified.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by MMOredfalcon

Personally, nothing makes me feel a "pull" more than a subscription. I feel that if I don't play as much as possible, I'll be wasting money, and that feeling is not a good one. Also, trying a sub game after a pause often requires paying one month sub, even if you only try it for an hour and see that nothing's really changed.

Really? The average sub for most MMOs is around 15$/month. Goin to movies, renting movies, going out in any way shape or form for any entertainment is going to cost you way more than 15$/month. Your cable,internet, satillite, buying a new single player game is all going to cost more than 15$/month also. So really a MMO with sub is probibly about the cheapest form of entertainment around in this day n age.

Oh ... ya? Funny, cause last I checked I can play other games for far cheaper .. kinda funny how that works ... ya?

We are not talking about Cable, Internet, or Satellite. They are not even good comparisons to any degree besides they share being entertainment in common. But all forms of entertainment cost different prices and do not directly reflect the other.

As for your single player game? Correct me if I am wrong, but P2P games cost the same amount for a single player game + the $15 a month. So unless you don't know math ... you can't possibly say it cost more to play a new single player game. Also ... ever heard of Steam?

Even if you go back and have to resub...if you only play an hour, you probibly won't notice any differences in that length of time. So most people will log on several times during that month they paid for just to see if it really is worth resubbing or not.

I don't understand all these 'OMG, no way am I paying a sub for this game no matter how great it is.' type. If you can't handle a small sub charge every month because it costs too much, then you should either

a)find a better job

For the majority of people, it has nothing to do with not having a job. It has to do with worth. Comparing P2P MMO video games to other video games and you find P2P will always be more expensive.

Again .. comparing games to games, not cable, not some other form of entertainment that has nothing to do with video games.

b) find a new hobby (tho I don't know of many hobbies that will cost you less than 15$/month)

Again all about worth .. not affordability. Why play 300 hours with in 2 years of a mmo for over $200 when I can play a game like Skyrim for the same amount of time and entertainment for $60?

If we go even further you can even find the same enjoyment out of a F2P games and play entirely free for 2 years. Though most people who find a game that enjoyable to play it 2 years are willing to invest a little in the cash shop now and then. However, the point is, you are comparing oranges to apples and it simply just doesn't work that way.

c) or simply don't subscribe and stop complaining every MMO should be B2W or F2P. Plenty of those kinda games being made all the time.

I don't think anyone is really complaining. We are in a forum discussing a topic. Also .. the same can be said for both sides of the coin, so really this argument goes for you too.

Also .. not subscribing actually hurts you in the long run because if the game doesn't have enough of these subs .. it will go F2P. Not a very good idea to recommend others to not sub to a game you think you will like. It's sort of counter intuitive.

I'll take a sub model any day over a f2p. Even if I only have a few hours a week to play it...will still be cheap entertainment.

When you compare it to other games ... you are technically wrong. Very wrong. P2P MMORPGs are the most expensive games that exist in the industry currently.

Though I suppose you could argue F2P is .. but the consumers actually have a choice in the matter. F2P games are not out right expensive if you don't want them to be.

Logic! :3  Makes sense doesn't it.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I will ALWAYS support sub fee first and for good reason,i don't like liars and any dev that calls their game Free is a liar.This site also seems to support such lies allowing games to post FREE when they are clearly not.

If developers want to start posting the TRUTH and say things like PART of our game is free or 50% or anything with truthful intentions,then i am ok with that.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

There are no pure subscription models anymore. At best you get sub + cash shop, such as WoW.

For me, I prefer B2P+Cash Shop such as GW2. The devs get enough money up front so that they don't have to cripple your gaming experience from the get-go.

FFXI as Square Enix has always been a straight forward developer,but often leaves players frustrated because they do not communicate well with community.I have always thought Square might go cash shop because they have had dealings with such developers but they remain true to straight forward charges.

I am sure there might be a few others but definitely not many.all jumped on the ,misleading false advertising of FREE to play.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Aelious
    Prefer? Sub[Until MMOs can be developed for free they come with a cost that must be paid.  I'd rather pay a set price and not feel the RL pull.
    What do you mean by "RL pull"?Personally, nothing makes me feel a "pull" more than a subscription. I feel that if I don't play as much as possible, I'll be wasting money, and that feeling is not a good one. Also, trying a sub game after a pause often requires paying one month sub, even if you only try it for an hour and see that nothing's really changed.
    I have a hard time understanding this attitude. I always find myself asking the following:
    1) How much TV do you watch if you pay for Cable or Dish TV? It, too, is a service and entertainment. How about Netflix, GameFly, and other subscrition based entertainment services, if you subscribe?

2) How much time do you spend on the phone? Another service.

Do you feel "compelled" to spend as much of your time as possible ("to get your money's worth") with these other services like you do with a game?

For me, the only time I feel "compelled" to log into an MMO is when the world changes daily or I am doing the "farming" thing, where not logging in for a day or two is detrimental to my gameplay.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I prefer a sub when it offers all content and the extra's for one flat fee.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Sub game, all day.  Haven't come across a free or B2P game that's worth a damn.  
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

There are no pure subscription models anymore. At best you get sub + cash shop, such as WoW.

For me, I prefer B2P+Cash Shop such as GW2. The devs get enough money up front so that they don't have to cripple your gaming experience from the get-go.

Final Fantasy XIV and XI are pure subscription model

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Wizardry

FFXI as Square Enix has always been a straight forward developer,but often leaves players frustrated because they do not communicate well with community.I have always thought Square might go cash shop because they have had dealings with such developers but they remain true to straight forward charges.

I am sure there might be a few others but definitely not many.all jumped on the ,misleading false advertising of FREE to play.

Yoshida did an amazing job at communicating with the players through out the whole development of A Realm Reborn

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I've played both, and honestly, I don't care what the monetization model is.

I have no problem supporting a product that I find entertaining - be it a sub or cash shop or what ever.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by Aelious
    Prefer? Sub[

Until MMOs can be developed for free they come with a cost that must be paid.  I'd rather pay a set price and not feel the RL pull.

I have a hard time understanding this attitude. I always find myself asking the following:
    1) How much TV do you watch if you pay for Cable or Dish TV? It, too, is a service and entertainment. How about Netflix, GameFly, and other subscrition based entertainment services, if you subscribe?

2) How much time do you spend on the phone? Another service.

Do you feel "compelled" to spend as much of your time as possible ("to get your money's worth") with these other services like you do with a game?

For me, the only time I feel "compelled" to log into an MMO is when the world changes daily or I am doing the "farming" thing, where not logging in for a day or two is detrimental to my gameplay.

It is called the sunk cost fallacy, and it is a pretty well documented phenomenon. Here is a paper demonstrating the effect using a field experiment.

http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1162/REST_a_00057

Obviously the effects differ from person to person, but it is certainly there, on average, in the population.

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    It is called the sunk cost fallacy, and it is a pretty well documented phenomenon. Here is a paper demonstrating the effect using a field experiment.http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1162/REST_a_00057Obviously the effects differ from person to person, but it is certainly there, on average, in the population.
    Thanks for the link, though it is a "pay for the report" site.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

I don't blame Final Fantasy 11 or 14 I love this series, but I don't play either mmo because they are subscription locked. I play all of the console Final Fantasies instead.... 

If they really want customers they should go buy to play, but then of course you wouldn't be making the massive amount of money off forcing people to pay a full price for a service that they don't have time to login and use... 

Sure, subscriptions are cheap, but when you are paying for 3 or 4 you don't even have the time to be playing so many mmos, and it is a highly competitive market out there. How many people are paying for 3 or 4 mmos and playing at the same time? You end up trapped in a cycle of subscribe cancel resub cancel reresub cancel rereresub cancel etc. 

Or, you like 4 dif subscription mmos, so instead of seeing your friends randomly off and on and chill and hang out with 365 days a year on a free/buy to play mmo, your friends instead only get to reach you 3 months a year, as you have to split the other 9 months on your other 3 mmos. 

Instead, isn't it a lot better to have that flexibility to get to play with your friends and have fun on a buy to play, that you already bought? Free to jump around when you're bored, and hang out when your friends are online, not chained down to any 1 game and 1 subscription. 

You are still able to support a game in a buy to play, you pay for expansions and you can pay for extra quest packs content for cosmetics. They don't have to give you the cosmetics in the shop when you buy them, you instead do a quest line that you have to pay for , thus make it all DLC (Downloaded Content). Want a cool awesome looking cosmetic ? Pay for the DLC and do the quests. Why don't we have Buy to Play?? 

Every console doing DLC already has this. Final Fantasy 13-2 has this, and I wish FF 11 and FF 14 would go buy to play, and simply use the same DLC idea they used... Only this time, using a lot of pretty cosmetics/pets/mounts obtainable through the DLC Quest packs , which would still be hard challenging content, only they'd be mini expansions... 

However, Sony did try the adventure packs and I bought all 3 of them. The idea was to serve cheap $5 entertainment.  Well, they find it easier to just sell you cosmetic mounts and pets etc now, than to put in a quest for it and make you work for it after you bought it. What a shame however, as it would be more fun buying the content than just the cosmetic item in a shop. 

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    My vote went to "Good game"

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by DamonVile
    Is a vote on this site an honest sample of the mmo market ?
    Of course not. Research shows that F2P players outnumbered sub-only by a large margin. You will never know this if you look at this forum.
    You need research to prove this?

Place 2 sandwiches side by side. One is labeled free and the other costs $2. Which sandwich gets the most "business?"

It does not take rocket science to guess which one is more "popular."

As Damon said, any poll on this site is NOT indicative of the genre as a whole. It is indicative of the posters here, though :)

Originally posted by Superman0X
    My personal favorite is pay by the minute. This is the single most fair way to do a pay to play game.This way, people who want to play 100 hours a week, can do so, and will support the game. Those of us that only have an hour to two a week, can pay for the time we spend.
    MMORPGs started out this way. Players sometimes wracked up monthly bills of hundreds of dollars with this system. I do not wish to "watch the clock" as I am playing, though.

I agree that players that do not have the time to play should not pay as much. Would a compromise work? Maybe the option to pay the minute (or hour or week) or a flat rate monthly fee?

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I voted free, but it all depends. I don't mind either, as long as they aren't taking the piss.

If it is a sub game, then I demand that they have no cash shop and have very regular updates. Otherwise I feel like they are taking the piss.

With B2P I like to pay for updates, rather than being hit over the head with a cash shop (ie: TSW instead of GW2).

With F2P I like the cash shop to focus on levelling speed, mounts and appearance gear. Not forcing a pay 2 win scenario.  If you can buy a combat advantage in the cash shop, then I am not interested.

Other than that, I don't really care how the company makes its revenue.  F2P certainly means I am more likely to try it out, since there is no barrier to entry. 

• MatryoshkaMatryoshka Member UncommonPosts: 98

I picked sub, but there is more to the MMO market than just "subscription" and "free to play" MMOs.

There's free to play games with cash shops that only sell cosmetic items, and free to play games with cash shops that sell items that help you with the game. Personally, for free to play games, anything past experience boosts (I'm alright with these) for sale in terms of game power is where I draw the line. If people want to pay developers money to play their game less (not taking as long to level), then by all means, let them, it's their money. But anything that affects the game at max level is where I draw the line. I feel the same about buy to play games, as well.

As for subscription based games, personally I don't like having to pay for anything outside of my subscription fee, that even includes cosmetic items. But if it's things like pets or mounts, and not armor/costumes, I will tolerate it, but not like it.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Raquis

all the people who voted for subs are wow players.

if you pay subs how can you play more than one game.

If you are on food stamps you should play games less and focus on more productive activities.

Just because they are "free" doesn't mean you are being frugal with your time, and if $15 a month is such a hardship for you then the massive amount of time that MMORPG's require is surely the bigger issue at hand here.

• liffiliffi Member UncommonPosts: 10

The thing is that most people still want f2p no matter when we say here. Sure most mmo here in west play sub game (WoW), but that doesnt count when people started there werent any f2p games. The bad thing about f2p games are that usually take our money on unfair way. Most of the microtransaction are somewhat game breakers or make things way faster that you have edge.

The thing is that these days people think that making things faster is ok, but this is sad thing. Micro payment is mostly making us think slowly it is ok to take our money and make games almost unplayable those that don't put money on them. Sure they can play the game, but most things are kind of unreachable if you don't put money in the game. They make things that you can do, but they make it so that it is nearly impossible or they really hinder it if you don't put money on the game. They did this thing slowly so now every one is saying these things are ok now... So f2p games make way more money that sub games cause they will easily get money out of the game... whole lot of money.

So I like sub games cause the rules are same to every one and that is good for me.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Is a vote on this site an honest sample of the mmo market ? 

Not by any stretch of the imagination. :) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

I will echo what others have said- I have and always will prefer subs to 'nickle and dime'  "F2P" games. 

$15/month (Hell even $20/month) is a perfect set amount imho. 

The problem is that even the Cash $hops have entered sub games and sub games are becoming harder to find. I guess people would prefer to be nickle and dimed or they are more casual players... But "F2P" usually ends up costing far more than $15- $20 month if you want access to all or most of the content.

I am also pretty much fine with B2P. I think GW1 was one of the best buys I have ever made even spending a small amount in the cash shop. GW2 I didnt like at all and never really examined how the Cash $hop worked there but I assume it was similar to GW1.

-But yeah. Sub or B2P or Bust as far as I am concerned. Right now I am still playing GW1 and not much else and hoping for the best with the genre (but assuming the worst)

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

If the game is good enough I do not feel the need to play many other games. 

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by NobleNerd

If the game is good enough I do not feel the need to play many other games. 

Exactly. An MMORPG should be deep enough to bethe only game you really need (or have the time to) play.

The "F2P" crowd are game hoppers generally who play a game for a few weeks and jump. The "sub" crowd is generally the crowd that sticks to one game.

Back when I did play WOW a long time ago- I played nothing else for probably 2 years. My game time was spent playing WOW. I saved literally thousands of dollars as a result. When I am not playing an MMORPG I usually purchase at least one single player game (sometimes 2) a month. These games could possibly give me 15-20 hours or less for $50 or so dollars.

An all inclusive sub game should have enough activities of all manner to keep you occupied and not "game hopping"- I totally understand Game Hopping in F2pP as you hit that point (sometimes quickly) where you will be spending FAR MORE than $15/month for a sub par quality game.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

"Exactly. An MMORPG should be deep enough to be the only game you really need (or have the time to) play." -  Jacx

Do you hold other forms of entertainment to the same standard? If not, why not?

"The "F2P" crowd are game hoppers generally who play a game for a few weeks and jump. The "sub" crowd is generally the crowd that sticks to one game." - Jacx

Can you link to the data you are basing that on? 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre