Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you remember your first completed game?

dave6660dave6660 New York, NYPosts: 2,572Member Uncommon

As a hobby game developer, what was the concept behind your first successfully completed game?

For me it was back in high school (when BBS's were still trendy), I wrote a text based adventure game similar to Legend of the Red Dragon in C.

The first game that had an actual GUI was an R-Type clone done in C++.  I tried to draw all the sprites myself so it looked so bad it was almost funny.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
-- Herman Melville

Comments

• iixviiiixiixviiiix GSPosts: 1,168Member Uncommon

Do simple games make by engine like GameMaker or RPGmaker count ? RPG is most i can do , mmorpg are .... well , my dream

I know nothing about programing so use cheap engine is only way for me to make some little games.

I think i finish first RPG 3 or 4 years ago when i get RPGmaker VX , though they all lost now.

It simple , go around , kill some random encounter mobs to level up your party. Go through dungeons to get full set item . Then finish last boss

I remember you only need level 20+ all party member and full set items to finish boss.

Still , it far from MMORPG developer like sky and under earth lol.

I wish there are easy to use engine like RPGmaker for MMORPG so i can make fun games to play with my friends .

• NadiaNadia Topsham, MainePosts: 11,866Member Uncommon

my first completed text RPG, 

ADVENT  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Cave_Adventure

my first completed console RPG,

Adventure http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_%281979_video_game%29

EDIT: well crap - i misunderstood,  this is a discussion about designing games

only games i ever designed were homebrewed pnp RPG systems

inspired by The Fantasy Trip  http://rpggeek.com/rpg/445/the-fantasy-trip

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 14,247Member Rare

The first game I ever completed was kind of like a Duck Hunt type thing on my Apple][+ in 1979. Your character was pretty much a pivoting 'shotgun' in the lower left and 'birds' - all five or six amazing blocks that each was made of - would fly by overhead. You had to shoot as many as possible by midnight.

The first game I completed for the PC was a Mancala game and it was more a project focused on making a reasonable AI opponent than anything else. The first game I completed for a gaming system was a graphical text adventure-like abomination that I used to pitch a larger game idea a couple years at work.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• killahhkillahh calgary, ABPosts: 437Member
    Although I am more on the graphic card art side, I did make a few variations of angband, with celebrities as the bosses, with the rest of the mobs as the people that hang around them, ie:bloodsucking lawyers, etc. My friends thought it was pretty funny. When I was in college me and a bud did up an awesome doom3 mod of our collage facilities, complete with bosses names for the instructors. Almostgot the boot for that one, Lol.

Gonada Dahung,over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting....Please Lord, let someone make a game that had all the awesomeness of UO, EQ and EVE...

• curacura WarsawPosts: 1,046Member Uncommon
    When i was in primary school i wrote a simple game called Capistrano Santa Inquisitore for Atari 800 XL. Player's task was to catch falling heads with an axe hehe.
  • anemoanemo Posts: 980Member Uncommon

Heh it was horrible.   You were a 2D ball that shot other 2D balls at other balls that moved in predictable patterns...  In visual basic and highschool.

Next up was visual basic again but with a winsock control for a multiplayer game.   Got to see close up some of the syncing problems devs need to suffer though.

First for java was a missile command game, After looking at the code a couple of years later it was an act of some higher another that it worked.   Ended up being multi-threaded unintentionally, and other types of pitfalls.  Never drank or did drugs in highschool, but my old code convinces me I just don't remember those instances.   Remade it in college over a day(instead of 2 weeks), in an eight of the code, and without some of the silly bugs.

Then for Java was an attempt to follow through the java world tutorials for a 3D display, using my own math for everything.   It was painful and failed horrible(still highschool).  Never bothered with that again especially with how many options you have these days to access the GPU.

Right now ended up going military, so pretty stallled.  But did start on a single player "zelda-a-like" puzzle game without combat and some story elements closer to those really old Choose Your Own Adventure books.   

If you can make a lemonade stand simulation in excel, it counts as a game.  Essentially forward motion will matter more than anything else when you're starting to learn something, since as long as you have forward motion it becomes so much easier to learn stuff you consider "real".   

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member Common

I made a Missile Command type game on the TI-99 4/a in TI-Extended Basic. It wasn't awesome. It did work though. I had started work on a turn based strategy type game that was based off of a pen and paper game that we made up in school, but it never left the realm of vaporware. I had another game about 90% complete that was like the old Scott Adams' text based adventure games. That one had a huge amount of text data that the system pulled off of the disk drive whenever it needed the information. Well, huge amount of text data for a system with 32kb of main memory and tiny floppy disk drives.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TamanousTamanous Edmonton, ABPosts: 2,399Member Uncommon

I got into gaming during the second great console generation push. I played a few rpgs though on pc and apple computers but never owned one then so didn't play often. 

The first rpg type game I completed was Fantasy Star on Sega Master System. No game prior gave me such a sense of accomplishment. Although I didn't follow the IP much after (I didn't like the sequel) it still played a huge role in my love of rpg games. It was natural though for me to like them as I was a huge pnp rpg player.

Some of the older D&D rpg games were great too. Because of this I truly hope Pathfinder does well and preserves a little bit of the D&D feel to it.

You stay sassy!

• rounnerrounner CanberraPosts: 636Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nadia
    my first completed text RPG,  ADVENT  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Cave_Adventure   my first completed console RPG, Adventure http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_%281979_video_game%29   EDIT: well crap - i misunderstood,  this is a discussion about designing games   only games i ever designed were homebrewed pnp RPG systems inspired by The Fantasy Trip  http://rpggeek.com/rpg/445/the-fantasy-trip

Heh, Adventure is what inspired me to make my first finished game, commodore 64 machine code built using basic to poke the code (didn't have an assembler). 90% of my games (who am I kidding 99%) were unfinished and I have nothing to show for man years of my life (I'm not exaggerating). 

• JJ82JJ82 Chicago, ILPosts: 1,225Member Uncommon
    When I was 13 my friend and I made our own version of Pacman using basic.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• dave6660dave6660 New York, NYPosts: 2,572Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by rounner
    Originally posted by Nadia
    my first completed text RPG,  ADVENT  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Cave_Adventure   my first completed console RPG, Adventure http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_%281979_video_game%29   EDIT: well crap - i misunderstood,  this is a discussion about designing games   only games i ever designed were homebrewed pnp RPG systems inspired by The Fantasy Trip  http://rpggeek.com/rpg/445/the-fantasy-trip

Heh, Adventure is what inspired me to make my first finished game, commodore 64 machine code built using basic to poke the code (didn't have an assembler). 90% of my games (who am I kidding 99%) were unfinished and I have nothing to show for man years of my life (I'm not exaggerating). 

You are certainly not alone!  Most of the projects I begin never finish either.  A ton of games projects I started I dropped after finishing the level or stage.  More than half of my projects I never even add sound. 

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• dave6660dave6660 New York, NYPosts: 2,572Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by anemo
    Heh it was horrible.   You were a 2D ball that shot other 2D balls at other balls that moved in predictable patterns...  In visual basic and highschool. Next up was visual basic again but with a winsock control for a multiplayer game.   Got to see close up some of the syncing problems devs need to suffer though. First for java was a missile command game, After looking at the code a couple of years later it was an act of some higher another that it worked.   Ended up being multi-threaded unintentionally, and other types of pitfalls.  Never drank or did drugs in highschool, but my old code convinces me I just don't remember those instances.   Remade it in college over a day(instead of 2 weeks), in an eight of the code, and without some of the silly bugs. Then for Java was an attempt to follow through the java world tutorials for a 3D display, using my own math for everything.   It was painful and failed horrible(still highschool).  Never bothered with that again especially with how many options you have these days to access the GPU. ___________ Right now ended up going military, so pretty stallled.  But did start on a single player "zelda-a-like" puzzle game without combat and some story elements closer to those really old Choose Your Own Adventure books.    ___________ If you can make a lemonade stand simulation in excel, it counts as a game.  Essentially forward motion will matter more than anything else when you're starting to learn something, since as long as you have forward motion it becomes so much easier to learn stuff you consider "real".   

My current project I'm trying to use Java and JOGL.  I work with Java for a living but it's my first time using JOGL and it's proving to be interesting.  

-- Herman Melville