Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I won't be playing ESO

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I like the OP's idea of a minecraft-esque server system for a tradition Elder Scrolls experience.  It seems many other people want Skyrim-with-friends too.  The mention of the ability to host a server for friends using player selected mods is a great idea.

Obviously this isn't Skyrim, or ESO.  However, I hope that another Elder Scrolls title will come out with this exactly.  A single player game, that optionally can be played online with friends.  No detriment to single player ES lovers, and the option exists for those who want to play with friends.  Everyone wins.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

I like the OP's idea of a minecraft-esque server system for a tradition Elder Scrolls experience.  It seems many other people want Skyrim-with-friends too.  The mention of the ability to host a server for friends using player selected mods is a great idea.

Obviously this isn't Skyrim, or ESO.  However, I hope that another Elder Scrolls title will come out with this exactly.  A single player game, that optionally can be played online with friends.  No detriment to single player ES lovers, and the option exists for those who want to play with friends.  Everyone wins.

If they wanted top make Skyrim with friends... it would have been called Skyrim Coop.

But they wanted to make an MMO RPG and they are doing a great job adding the feel and lore of the elder scrolls universe to an MMO..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• EQBallzzEQBallzz Member UncommonPosts: 229

to the OP: so even though the game that is being made was NEVER meant to be co-op Skyrim and nobody EVER said it would be that and you are not playing because of that? So by that logic I think I will not play Wildstar because it doesn't have photo-realistic graphics and make a long post about it even though that was never happening anyway and is pointless for me to say.

I also love how some people complain about some features in ESO that were never in ES (like pvp) but in the same breath complain because there is no AH (which was also not in ES). So really the complaining is less about Zenimax being true to some ES norm and more about people just complaining about their own personal preferences.

I'm certainly not onboard with everything in ESO. I'm not sure why they don't have an AH or how the crafting is going to go but I'm not going to dismiss it out of hand or continuously gripe about it until I see it in action. Maybe the system they have in mind will work. I'll be the first to complain or give feedback on it if it doesn't work but it doesn't seem that productive to proclaim that it sucks now.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by calranthe

I think my main problem and it is my own problem is actively playing skyrim and finding it impossible for myself to seperate ESO and see it as a completely seperate place.

When I think of Elder scrolls I think of housing, quests and being someone who can make a true difference, to explore the world and then expand that world with mods until it is anything I wish it to be, PVE complete focus without this silly concept of "end game" I mean in elder scrolls, daggerfall, morrowind oblivion and skyrim the whole game was the journey, the exploration end game concept just never fit.

MMOs are only about end-game if you treat them as such. Its about your own personal mentality and how you approach the game.  Skyrim had a skill cap too, and many people rushed to that by exploiting crafting for instance.  You chose to enjoy the journey instead, which is exactly what you could choose to do in ESO, but you are instead approaching it as a rush to endgame because it is a MMO.

In MMOs I generally have 1 or 2 'end-game' characters which I maintain for challenging raid progression, the rest of my alts just explore the world at a leisurely pace.  I know many other people like this too, which is why EQ, EQ2 and WoW have such high retention.  Outside of end game progression there is a large world to get lost in and explore.

My only concerns about ESO are:

1) How good the combat is. Combat is pretty important to me, if it feels clunky or non-tactical it will be a big turn off.

2) How much content is available, if the world is large enough to get lost in through multiple play throughs.

3) How well the PvP is implemented (to keep me around for the long haul).

But most of those are personal opinion things that will require me to try the game for myself.

• SoulTrapOnSelfSoulTrapOnSelf Member Posts: 190
    no, ESO can't be a glorified Skyrim.. I am done with Skyrim, I need a new game!
  • bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by SoulTrapOnSelf
    no, ESO can't be a glorified Skyrim.. I am done with Skyrim, I need a new game!

Bite your tongue. 

• NemersesNemerses Member Posts: 23

What a whinging little child bet he is the fat guy you see at macs.

and if STO is the bar he uses to judge, shows oh knows zip, so move on and good riddance.

www.Immortals-mmo.co.uk

• nosforianosforia Member Posts: 11
    I don't think better mmo to play than ESO.It 's simple.Best upcoming mmo.All other mmo's are a JOKE and for kids

[Boss]Nosforia

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744
    I really hoped you played beta before you wrote this. If not, give it a try at least. I won't be playing as well, but I put some time into beta to know it's not for me.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Nemerses

What a whinging little child bet he is the fat guy you see at macs.

and if STO is the bar he uses to judge, shows oh knows zip, so move on and good riddance.

Out of the two of you your the only one who sounds like a whinging little child, read your post and perhaps you will actually grasp it.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

I personally don't have any problems with ESO. It looks pretty good to me.

I still will not be playing it though. I already know a portion of the community thinks subs is better, and I full-heartedly disagree. I honestly have not seen a difference in quality based on the payment model. I have played plenty of crappy P2P games. I have played plenty of crappy F2P games, and I have played crappy B2P games and vice versa. 

It all depends on the game, not the payment model. There are more crappy F2P games, because there are more F2P games then there are P2P. It's common sense. Though in this day and age, common sense isn't so common.

One could argue that there should be more better F2P games then there are B2P games. This is strictly an opinion, but I find that is true. I know people will swear up and down it's not true, but those are the people who don't play them.

I don't mind paying a sub, if I feel it's worth the price. ESO looks good, but it doesn't necessary look all that much different then other MMO games already on the market, besides the whole Elder Scrolls part of it, what else does it have to offer that is so different?

Others are fine with paying the sub, but I am not, because I know worth. I am not blind, and I am a pretty cheap person. Not overly cheap. I consider it the juuuuust right cheap. Cheap enough to save money and skip passed things that are a waste.

You offer a Oculus Rift MMORPG VR World similar to SAO or .hack or something ... I will pay a sub easily. We are a little ways off from that though lol.

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

I try not to post on the mmorpg.com forums, but I had to step in here.

I see a lot of people with opinions that this game is not an ES game, that it resembles nothing of an ES game, that if you take away the names of towns, and some lore...its your standard 'themepark' ish game.  What are you talking about?

The combat is so similar it could simply be a copy and paste of any ES game, take skyrim/oblivion for example.  The combat is so different than any other modern day MMO.  It is hardly anything like your WoW combat, your Tera combat, neverwinter combat, GW2 combat...its completely unique.  It is definately, definately ES combat.  You just have an action skill bar now...

The graphics are definately ES graphics...gorgeous graphics.  Over-realistic.

The lore is the lore, 'nuff said.  ES lore and story.

So without the NDA being lifted, we have no idea what the rest of the game holds.  We have no idea what a dungeon really looks like, other than the quakecon dungeon (which was unimpressive to me, btw).  We have no idea what crafting looks like.  The PvP cinematics are nothing more than marketing, and we have no idea what that format looks like.  We have no idea what PVE end game looks like. 

So all we have to go on are graphics, lore, and combat.  What is not Elder Scrolls about this game?

I personally have high doubts about the game for other reasons.  Not being Elder Scrolls is definately not it.  If anything, this game will fail as an MMO because it is too much like an ES game.  I look at this game as Skyrim in an MMO space.  Thats it.  And I don't think Skyrim would have worked as an MMO.

But this definately has the look and feel of ES. 

One more thing I want to add to my previous post but deserves a new one...

While I have serious doubts at this games ability to become a modern day MMO (5 man dungeons, raids, PvP / world PvP, etc) I do think this game will excel as an exploration, adventurist, crafters game which appeals to me.  I think this game will have a high solo-ists value and for that I am willing to give it a go for a month or two. 

Do I think it will be the next coming of WoW?  No.  As good as GW2?  No.  Will it compete with Wildstar?  Probably not.  I see this game's population dwindling as fast as SWTOR to be honest.  But the people that remain will enjoy it for what it is.

Originally posted by cesmode8

I see a lot of people with opinions that this game is not an ES game, that it resembles nothing of an ES game, that if you take away the names of towns, and some lore...its your standard 'themepark' ish game.  What are you talking about?

The combat is so similar it could simply be a copy and paste of any ES game, take skyrim/oblivion for example.  The combat is so different than any other modern day MMO.  It is hardly anything like your WoW combat, your Tera combat, neverwinter combat, GW2 combat...its completely unique.  It is definately, definately ES combat.  You just have an action skill bar now...

So without the NDA being lifted, we have no idea what the rest of the game holds.  We have no idea what a dungeon really looks like, other than the quakecon dungeon (which was unimpressive to me, btw).  We have no idea what crafting looks like.  The PvP cinematics are nothing more than marketing, and we have no idea what that format looks like.  We have no idea what PVE end game looks like. 

So all we have to go on are graphics, lore, and combat.  What is not Elder Scrolls about this game?

I personally have high doubts about the game for other reasons.  Not being Elder Scrolls is definately not it.  If anything, this game will fail as an MMO because it is too much like an ES game.  I look at this game as Skyrim in an MMO space.  Thats it.  And I don't think Skyrim would have worked as an MMO.

While I have serious doubts at this games ability to become a modern day MMO (5 man dungeons, raids, PvP / world PvP, etc) I do think this game will excel as an exploration, adventurist, crafters game which appeals to me.  I think this game will have a high solo-ists value and for that I am willing to give it a go for a month or two. 

Do I think it will be the next coming of WoW?  No.  As good as GW2?  No.  Will it compete with Wildstar?  Probably not.  I see this game's population dwindling as fast as SWTOR to be honest.  But the people that remain will enjoy it for what it is.

I agree with mostly everything you said, besides the Elder Scrolls feeling part. Just the atmosphere with a whole bunch of players running around will destroy that feeling for a bunch of players. You would be shocked to see how much that actually effects ones views and perceptions.

NPC's are going to need pathing and be doing things as if they live in the world as well. This has always been a huge thing with Elder Scrolls. If they don't do that properly, it will just feel like another quest hub MMO. This is only the tip of the iceberg.

So much to do, and so much to screw up. Getting it right the first time is going to be very important for this game to succeed is the way I see it. 

Originally posted by Brabbit1987

I agree with mostly everything you said, besides the Elder Scrolls feeling part. Just the atmosphere with a whole bunch of players running around will destroy that feeling for a bunch of players. You would be shocked to see how much that actually effects ones views and perceptions.

NPC's are going to need pathing and be doing things as if they live in the world as well. This has always been a huge thing with Elder Scrolls. If they don't do that properly, it will just feel like another quest hub MMO. This is only the tip of the iceberg.

So much to do, and so much to screw up. Getting it right the first time is going to be very important for this game to succeed is the way I see it. 

So you disagree with everything I said? :) Because it was all about how ESO looks like an ES game.

True, NPC pathing and the 'aliveness' of the world needs to be correct.

However, people do realize that if a game is an MMO, you will see players running around doing their own thing.  Thats half the point of an MMO, seeing players on their own journey while completing yours.  This has nothing to do with how the game is being developed.  It is simply an aspect of an MMO. 

The OP wanted a completely 'instanced' game like GW1 was it sounds like.  Where your gameplay is your own and you can invite some people to share with it.  I never played GW1, but from the sound of it, it worked.  Lots of people liked it.  Tons more do not.  The personal story in GW2 is meant to work in the same fashion where you can invite people to experience YOUR personal story(even though the story is the same for everyone really).  But, does anyone do this?  Id bet not many.  I have yet to join in on anyone elses personal story.  Its more of a 'nice to have'.  More people than not like to see other people running around in the space. 

If you wanted a single player game, stick with previous ES games.  If you wanted a game where a handful of friends have the space to themselves, try GW1.  Servers are still alive.  If you want 'skyrim online', give TESO a try. 

Nope it's not completely unique, if anything Dark Falls combat has TES written all over it.

As for the game, you know you are in a TES game but remember this isn't a single player TES game it's an mmo. The graphics are okay the UI is as close to Skyrim you can get. The combat is slow, the animation pretty poor as well, in fact the animations are some of the worst i've seen in any mmo.

I'm not going to break the NDA but imo the game needs the IP because if it was a mmo without the TES ip it would be another average mmo.

It will sell huge numbers because the player base will be mostly made up of console players and first time mmo players imo, they can't lose. I'll play the game because of my love for TES but make no mistake the game is more of the same with a few twist when it comes to mmo's.

Like the game or not ZeniMax are in a win win situation.

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Nope it's not completely unique, if anything Dark Falls combat has TES written all over it.

As for the game, you know you are in a TES game but remember this isn't a single player TES game it's an mmo. The graphics are okay the UI is as close to Skyrim you can get. The combat is slow, the animation pretty poor as well, in fact the animations are some of the worst i've seen in any mmo.

I'm not going to break the NDA but imo the game needs the IP because if it was a mmo without the TES ip it would be another average mmo.

It will sell huge numbers because the player base will be mostly made up of console players and first time mmo players imo, they can't lose. I'll play the game because of my love for TES but make no mistake the game is more of the same with a few twist when it comes to mmo's.

I think the graphics are as good or better than anything on the market.  Currently, IMO Neverwinter/Tera/GW2 have some of the better graphics and I think TESO is on par or better. 

The UI is as close to skyrim, yep.

Combat is slow, but it has been slow, clunky and wierd in any ES game.  Its sort of the trademark.  Ive never been a fan of the combat.  I play the games for the exploration and because I can just get completely lost in the world.  Im hoping for the same, because you are correct..combat looks like any other ES game and thats not saying a lot.

Animations..same thing.  Look just mediocre if not worse than any other mmo.

Originally posted by Brabbit1987

So you disagree with everything I said? :) Because it was all about how ESO looks like an ES game.

True, NPC pathing and the 'aliveness' of the world needs to be correct.

However, people do realize that if a game is an MMO, you will see players running around doing their own thing.  Thats half the point of an MMO, seeing players on their own journey while completing yours.  This has nothing to do with how the game is being developed.  It is simply an aspect of an MMO. 

The OP wanted a completely 'instanced' game like GW1 was it sounds like.  Where your gameplay is your own and you can invite some people to share with it.  I never played GW1, but from the sound of it, it worked.  Lots of people liked it.  Tons more do not.  The personal story in GW2 is meant to work in the same fashion where you can invite people to experience YOUR personal story(even though the story is the same for everyone really).  But, does anyone do this?  Id bet not many.  I have yet to join in on anyone elses personal story.  Its more of a 'nice to have'.  More people than not like to see other people running around in the space. 

If you wanted a single player game, stick with previous ES games.  If you wanted a game where a handful of friends have the space to themselves, try GW1.  Servers are still alive.  If you want 'skyrim online', give TESO a try. 

First of all ... I never said it didn't "look" like Elder Scrolls.

I was saying it doesn't play like it. It doesn't feel like it in some cases. Huge difference. You essentially just argued with me over something I wasn't argueing about rofl.

snip

I was saying it doesn't play like it. It doesn't feel like it in some cases. Huge difference. You essentially just argued with me over something I wasn't argueing about rofl.

Not arguing and what I was saying is spot on because of NDA...we have no idea what the game plays like without breaking NDA.

Without breaking the NDA how can you tell how the game feels?  Without breaking NDA, we can only go off looks.  And from the looks of it, it looks like a spitting image of any other elder scrolls game.  The looks of the combat, aside from action bars, looks like a spitting image. 

I think the graphics are as good or better than anything on the market.  Currently, IMO Neverwinter/Tera/GW2 have some of the better graphics and I think TESO is on par or better. 

The UI is as close to skyrim, yep.

Combat is slow, but it has been slow, clunky and wierd in any ES game.  Its sort of the trademark.  Ive never been a fan of the combat.  I play the games for the exploration and because I can just get completely lost in the world.  Im hoping for the same, because you are correct..combat looks like any other ES game and thats not saying a lot.

Animations..same thing.  Look just mediocre if not worse than any other mmo.

I don't think the graphics are the best currently, they are no where near ArcheAge or even Age Of Wushu(debatable/) imo. Yes slow combat in TES games is a trademark but this is not a single player TES game, it's an mmo with slow dull combat. Personally i think it will be one of the major issues to seasoned mmo players especially where RvR is concerned.

snip

Not arguing and what I was saying is spot on because of NDA...we have no idea what the game plays like without breaking NDA.

Without breaking the NDA how can you tell how the game feels?  Without breaking NDA, we can only go off looks.  And from the looks of it, it looks like a spitting image of any other elder scrolls game.  The looks of the combat, aside from action bars, looks like a spitting image. 

You do know that many people have played ESO without actually being in the beta?

snip

You are joking right?

First of all, despite NDA, I have seen plenty of gameplay videos of beta and can clearly see how the game plays. You also can get a very good idea of what issues will take place simply by taking experience from other games.

It's called using your brain.

It's why we have the ability to know if we will like a game or not before we play it, because we compare it to similar games.

I have all the Elder Scrolls games, and based on the series, I mentioned problems the game will likely have unless they work on it. 

So YES, i can tell how the game feels as it currently stands. Just like how I can watch a game video on the net, and tell as well. Watch let's play series. Not sure why you seem to think this is particularly hard to do, because it isn't.

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286
    i have played the game and i was very dissipointed in this game the combat system was  the same as gwars 2 i  see the pvp becoming zerg fests and boring  who has the biggest zerg wins  the world was beautiful and had depth but i ran into invisible walls telling me  i was not  high lv to enter  i was hugely let down   after loving all of the es games  and felt little  of es  in the world tey tell us they could not do this or that i do not baleve it  they could do it but they chose to follow and not be inavators that they have been they chose the easy rode to do what has been done not to do  what  has not been done so i shall pass and when this game becomes free to play  i might log on now and then to venture threw the world but not intell then
    snip

You do know that many people have played ESO without actually being in the beta?

This too XD .. didn't want to mention it though. Though I am pretty sure they where shut down recently.

Originally posted by Tatercake the world was beautiful and had depth but i ran into invisible walls telling me  i was not  high lv to enter  i was hugely let down   

This will shock a lot of people who though the game was open world and you could go where you want. Even within each faction area their are natural barriers blocking your way.