Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Future of mmo´s - 2014

NeoCroX997NeoCroX997 Member UncommonPosts: 28

Hey all, I would like to start off with wishing you all a Merry Christmas,!

Well it seems we are close to a new year and it seems alot of new games has been released this year and alot of contents for already released ones. But most common is, almost one or another mmo game have some sort of a event ingame celebrating holidays within the game. As the times goes players almost spending more time celebrating holidays within mmo´s than ever before. It´s very depended on which community you like of cause also the game itself. As we seek contact online more example through xfire or steam, even facebook. We can easily communicate with persons online and get more connected. It will be fun to see how the outcome of next year will look like.

Mmo´s is a genre which takes time to evolve, some need more time than others. Usually it takes some years before you can see how the game shapes itself. Sometimes its very hard to figure out where it leads us through our online experience. Maybe that is what makes us play those game, because you never really can see around the corner. The feeling when you start up launcher to check up new patches, updates or even expansions. The game is never really finished and can be played for years without it´s really finished.

But as the time goes the game is easier to make, faster and with more functionality. Example the ability to make your own influence in a game that will react to your creation or actions and will have a concequence for the rest of the gameplay. Those examples can be found in the upcoming games: The Elder Scrolls and Everquest Landmark/Next.  It´s very hard not to spotlight those as the most interesting mmo´s of 2014. Both are unique in their own ways and the titles are well known in the market and have been for many years. Personally Im looking forward to Star Citizen.

Another point of view about the market how it will look like in 2014. Concidering the market of mmo´s grows in lightspeed, it´s hard for the developers to make people  play their games, because playerbase will be spread out more likely than ever before. I think that´s also a reason for many toplisted mmo´s have went f2p. So it will be interesting to see the outcome of that in next year. It´s possible also the reason many toplisted mmo´s have went f2p to track the most amount of players to them.

Optional discussing subjects:

What do you look forward to 2014?(Favorite upcoming games etc.)

How will next years mmo´s be different?(Mechanism, genres, functionality, playerbase etc)

The best christmas experience you ever had in a mmo?( ingame events, community etc)

Did you spend your christmas in a game this year?(How, with who, which game etc)

What attracts you to play a specific game?

I will finish this topic off with a merry christmas and happy new year!  :)

Comments

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by NeoCroX997

Another point of view about the market how it will look like in 2014. Concidering the market of mmo´s grows in lightspeed, it´s hard for the developers to make people  play their games, because playerbase will be spread out more likely than ever before.

I think that´s also a reason for many toplisted mmo´s have went f2p. So it will be interesting to see the outcome of that in next year. It´s possible also the reason many toplisted mmo´s have went f2p to track the most amount of players to them.

Sorry to have cut your OP to what I think is essential.

I think you are dead wrong in the 2 paragraphs above.

1. MMO's did NOT go f2p for the amount of players. They simply went f2p because they no longer could support the subscription model because they lost players massively around 3 months after a new launch (up to 80% over the year).

An MMORPG that launched as a sub based game and then went free to play is simply a way of saving the furniture as the game was developped in the first place to have a MUCH more lucrative and stable.revenue.

2. The market of MMO's does not grow in lightspeed. In fact the subscription based module, apart from WOW and EVE, is practically dead in player numbers.

---

So I don't know on which planet you lived over the last few years, but the fact is that OTHER internet kind of games out grew traditional MMORPG's with a wide margin.

The reason is simple: people want games that are less time consuming and offer 30 minutes of fast furious fun.

Here is the on line game that is successful in 2014:

1. Short bursting playing sessions;

2. Easy to get into and fun to keep playing.

3. Long term goal still there but they can be achieved with 20 minute sessions.

4. 24/7 easy grouping without hastle.

That's the kind of internet games on offer these days: LOL, COD, upcoming HS and all kind of identical types of games that already replaced the MMORPG genre.

If there is ANY change, I expect something in the line of Destiny, but even this game is not a full fledged MMORPG and will most certainly comply with the 4 points above.

---> Let me put it this way: a flight path in WOW takes up as much time as one small session in these games.

People no longer dwell in basements to game on the internet like they did in 2002-2008.  

MMORPG's are no longer "hot". Perhaps the genre will come back, but certainly not in its traditional sense and in my view it will take many more years to be considered "cult" again.

The genre will return, but not in 2014-2020.

EDIT: Just to point out how terrible the present state of MMRPG's is these days: this proper MMORPG site had to change the number of log ins recently.

In the high days of MMORPG's there were constantly 350+ people logged in, DOZENS posts were made by the minute and you ONLY saw info on new/old MMORPG's.

These days the log ins are no longer shown, you have a dozen posts per hour and you see ALL kinds of on line games that frankly have nothing to do with MMORPG's (from WoT to D3 to HS to my grandpa's card game coming out soon...).