Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] OK if not TSW, what's your favorite combat system?

1235»

Comments

• GadarethGadareth Member UncommonPosts: 310

EverQuest

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Guild Wars 1. Funnily enough, TSW is very similar to GW1 in its deck-building approach to skills, but it fails at everything that made GW1 so good.

From non-MMO games, probably Dark Souls 2, Temple of Elemental Evil, Silent Storm and Jagged Alliance 2.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    • Counter Strike (ranged combat)
    • Ultima Underworld (melee combat)
    • 4D Sports Boxing (unarmed combat)
    • Dungeon Master (spell casting)

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Voted other , its a Toss up between Archeage and Wildstar for me.  :)

Just thought I would say that " Chronicles of Spellborn " was the best ever ... but its dead now .. :(

• NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346

I'm not much of a PvP, so I don't know how combat really fairs in any of these games from that perspective.  All I can say is when it comes to PvP... they're all pretty much the same: they're crap.  But I won't go into that...

What I will say is that for PvE... since my first MMO (SWG) there have only been a couple of games where I thought the combat was any good.  These are in no particular order:

1.  City of Heroes had a nice flow to it.  I remember really enjoying the group combat element in this game and really enjoying a lot of the move-sets and powers and such.  Of course, that was a long time ago, and I probably wouldn't enjoy such a game these days.

2.  TERA had pretty good combat mechanics.  It nearly felt like one of those early action beat-em-up games like Double Dragon and the like, or maybe even a fighting game.  To me, I've been at this stage where I just can't play typical MMO games anymore, because they all feel like the same game over and over and over again, and the actual standard gameplay was never all that interesting in the first place.  I finally gave up when I played SWTOR.  It was a decent enough game... I just couldn't do it anymore.  The multiple rows of Hot-Bars, the RMB Camera rotation, the flashing lights, the timers, the buffs, the debuffs, everything all over the screen... It all felt like Magic The Gathering Whack-A-Mole.  Tera didn't get all of it, but at least it gave me the ability to feel like I was playing something besides WoW.  It's too bad everything else about it was super suck-a$$.

3.  Age of Conan was... interesting.  people talk about how it was really great but... I just remember it being a clunky mess of a system that encouraged the player to have three hands.  I guess if you were using macros though...  All I really remember of this game is Pre-Launch, the developers describing a combat system in a certain way, and the Launch, the combat system being nothing like what they actually described.  They described a game that was similar to a game called Blade of Darkness.  What we got was a standard MMO combat system that required 4 or 5 button presses to initialize a single ability.  Still... it was interesting.  So it's on the list, I guess.

4.  I hear people talking about how bad this game's combat sucks, but I can't find anything but good things to say about it: Elder Scrolls Online.  Frankly... it's better than anything I ever imagined it would have been.  I was seriously thinking it would feel like another MMO whack-a-mole system.  What i got was something that actually felt like I was playing Skyrim, with a minor dose of a typical MMO flair just to appease that crowd.  I'm a fair guy, and I can live with such a compromise, though I really wish they'd just not had an ability bar or abilities that require them at all.  So, it's almost pretty much perfect to me.

5.  Dark Souls.... you know what I love about this game?  It proves that good design trumps over-inflated Magic Abilities.  This game is basically Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on steroids in a 3D Engine.  The actual gameplay is pretty simple over all.  And it just doesn't get old from start to finish.  I realize it isn't technically an MMO... but I don't know why the simple things it does couldn't be in one.  I think we're at that stage where the tech could handle it.  I mean, seriously.... ESO nearly manages it... nearly.

• Mmorpg : Guild Wars 2

Other : Mount&Blade

• vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129

Other: When it comes to team pvp Guild Wars 1.

as far as individual character control and combat itself in the MMORPG department I would go with DC Universe Online.