Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall: Rumor: Mark Kern Removed as CEO of Red 5

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to a report at GameFront.com, Mark Kern has been removed as the CEO of Red 5, developers of Firefall. Citing sources close to the company, GameFront.com has published an internal email that indicates that the Red 5 Board of Directors has removed Kern who "no has any authority to act for or on behalf of Red 5 Studios." 

The email, provided by a source close to the situation, is included below:

“My fellow Red 5ers,

“Today, the Red 5 Studios Board of Directors met and after deliberation have decided that Mark Kern will no longer be the Chief Executive Officer or on the Board of Red 5 Studios. Effective immediately Mark will no longer have any authority to act for or on behalf of Red 5 Studios.

“As one of the founders of Red 5 Studios and our leader for many, many years, we owe Mark a great deal of appreciation for all that he has done to help build this company and to set the vision for an incredible new game. I am personally grateful for my relationship with Mark and the many years I have worked with him.

“This is a major change to our company. Your managers and I will set to work to cover any and all areas that Mark was directly handling and we are continuing to solidify the plan for 2014. I assure you that we are and will continue to be here to serve and support each of you.

“We will be holding a team meeting to discuss this topic at 11:15 a.m. tomorrow but I wanted to make sure you were officially informed of this significant change to your company.

“Please grab me or any of the managers at any time or give us a call if you would like to discuss in private.

“Please refrain from discussing this topic outside the company.

Sincerely,

James”

Read more at the link above.

MMORPG.com has reached out to both Red 5 and Mark Kern for comment. We'll keep you posted.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212
    Wow, if true, WTF?

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    The world's gone mad.
  • DerimosDerimos Member UncommonPosts: 7

It seems development took too long and they just want game to be released asap... Crapy managements.

Too bad for Kern, he is ok.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Think this has topped news of the year- along with warhammers closing!!
  • akronakron Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Sucks for Ken, but nonetheless the best news I've read all day. Overly ambitious guy with equally outrageous spending habits. No, he was NOT ok.
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Ironically the guy who bashed on WoW on whatever mechanics it was and how his game will be a revival of the genre is the guy that gets fired.  I never liked his article and thought he was a bit of an arrogant little SOB who are part of the masses that hate on WoW's success even though there might be a reason why WoW has stood the test of time over and over again.  Granted that might be questionable in 2014 but people have been saying that for years.
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

"Please refrain from discussing this topic outside the company"

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

Leaking this email is not right either.

I suspect a write up, if not a firing, is in order.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    It is sad when a hound loses their job, but if this guy really was a spend thrift then for the sake of seeing FireFall realized it is best he goes. Development has taken way to long, 2014 is crunch time for Red5. FireFall is an amazing game with tons of potential. Sadly it has suffered an identity crisis in the last 3 years.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by ITPalg

Leaking this email is not right either.

I suspect a write up, if not a firing, is in order.

i believe their site will have an official statement. -releasing this incorp emails wasnt right either-so aparently some dont agree with this.

beign that he dosent actually 'code' the game, i wonder how this will affect FF in 2014.

they really should of just gotten rid of Orson Scott Card imo.

wish him the best!

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Reklaw

LOL,  yeh I saw that too. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Right before Xmas....ouch!

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    huh
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    If the comments on the glassdoor website are true then there will be a lot of hungover devs at Red 5 for the next week from all the partying.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Couldn't think of a better decision as far as this title is concerned. Hopefully the game will actuallymake development pprogress now.

Steam: Neph

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362
    What a nice Xmas present for Mark from his friends at Red 5.
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by BlushyAlex

It seems development took too long and they just want game to be released asap... Crapy managements.

Too bad for Kern, he is ok.

The game was released months ago, they just never took the word Beta off it. Hopefully this change will result in some positive changes in the game, as its simply not worth playing more more than a month.

• steelslingasteelslinga Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by Nephaerius
    Couldn't think of a better decision as far as this title is concerned. Hopefully the game will actuallymake development pprogress now.

agreed.. I've had the game since about 1 week after founders packages were released for purchase and I haven't seen any real change in the game for the past year. I get on and play every 2-3 months and I can only bare it for maybe 3-4 days of doing the same crap all day ... run around and thump.. hit the odd Nado and repeat..

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Firefall is a generic MMO as it gets. It looks like a Multiplayer Shooter but it ain't. At the same time is not MMO enough. Not surprised the game bombed and the CEO got fired...... rightly so.

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

This is what happens when you dont know how to make a game.

I saw the faults of firefall in alpha, but I believed in it and the devs (yes I was wrong)

They just continued with its faults.

You dont release a mmo without any progression system NO NEVER EVER NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS YOU EVER DO THAT. This is also one of the reasons defiance failed badly

You dont focus on crappy pvp in a mmo that was made for pve gameplay.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Maybe the game will actually get some content that takes more then a hour to play now.

Firefall had such potential, but theres so little to do and It's progression feels weak at best :/

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344

Here is a post on Glassdoor.com about working at Red 5 Studios.  I think it speaks to this announcement quite heavily:

“Nightmare Game Development”

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Red 5 Studios full-time for more than 3 years

Pros – Surprisingly, despite everything that is wrong with this company there are still some good, talented people with a lot of passion for the project.

Cons – Horrible, inexperienced executive management with no clear, long term strategy. Most of the upper management, including and especially the CEO are often AWOL for lengthy periods of time, only to show up one day and announce a new strategy for the project.

After over seven years of development, there is still no concrete or cohesive design for the game. Priories and focus are constantly shifting, mostly dependent on the whims of the CEO.

Despite all of the talk of an "open" culture, if you disagree with upper management or run afoul of the CEO, you can expect a short walk to the door.

This is a culture fear:
    Fearful that the company will fail to get additional funding
    Fearful that the design will change again.
    Fearful that you will fall out of favor with upper management and be fired.
    Fearful that the CEO will have a bad day and berate or fire employees.

Despite having over 100 employees, there is no HR department. You can guess how that works.

Advice to Senior Management – After seven years and tens of millions of dollars spent, I don't think this situation is fixable.

No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    I doubt its a rumor.  One of the European Dev's (red border people) posted in the thread, and said something about it being unfortunate that we had to find out this way, and that the official statement would be out after their meeting. Later their post was removed, and its not in the Dev tracker any more.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Originally posted by Reklaw

Uh huh. /facepalm

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Firefall is a generic MMO as it gets. It looks like a Multiplayer Shooter but it ain't. At the same time is not MMO enough. Not surprised the game bombed and the CEO got fired...... rightly so.
    Lack of a final vision maybe but generic ?.. no Firefall has lots of unique features, they just never saw enough of them through.