Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else see Browser mmorpg and then just scoff at it?

SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Am I the only one who reads about a mmorpg, then the second I find out its a browser mmorpg I just kinda turn my scoff at it and walk away? I've never personally played a browser mmorpg that was any good. If you know of any please link me, i need something to play and I will try pretty much anything at this point. I have played alot of mmo's thou. Though only tried a few broswer mmo's because well.. they sucked.

Anyway, I cannot be the only one who thinks like this am I?

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Comments

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    No, I'm just the same as regards browser games.  Other game genres that instantly make me lose all interest are 2D games, platformers and arena/lobby games.  there's nothing inherently wrong with them but they just don't appeal to me.
  • Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428
    I'm the same way. I start reading up on a game and out of no where: "no need to download, play RIGHT NOW!" I'm just like ok... click the big x the corner of by firefox tab.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I admit I do the same, and I shouldn't. One of these days a browser game will be good - it's just a matter of time.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    I've not played one either, but yes, they are amusing at best in my world of high sophistication.
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    No, I'm just the same as regards browser games.  Other game genres that instantly make me lose all interest are 2D games, platformers and arena/lobby games.  there's nothing inherently wrong with them but they just don't appeal to me.

I am fine with 2d and playformers with rpg elements, but yeah I personally dispise arena/lobby based mmorpgs. Though dungeon fighter was pretty good. I enjoyed it, too bad its being closed. Hell I think Terraria and starbound are much better games than most of the AAA dev stuff that has come out in recent years. I have starbound beta and I have let me see. 65 hours played and its only phase 1 of a 3 phase beta, I defently got my 20 bucks worth, I view gameplay as 1/2 dollars an hour. Most if not all AAA games don't even last 8 hours. So I never buy them. Only exception being games like Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas and those types of games, the main story is short, but they aren't all about the main story, there is tons to explore and find.  I got them on PC so i can mod the shit out of them and add alot more gameplay, My current fo3 install has 3 or 4 major mods, about 5 adventure mods that add new storylines and entirely new land masses, and a collection of misc mods totally over 90 plugin files.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

or

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    Yeah I'm sorry to admit it but I don't really give browser MMOs a chance. They just feel weird to me.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by CowboyHat
    Yeah I'm sorry to admit it but I don't really give browser MMOs a chance. They just feel weird to me.

For me its not so much they feel weird, its more they are just bad games as a whole, Half the time they have some wacky as hell keybinds that you cannot change that just make the game increadbly akward to play.

or

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TrashcantoyTrashcantoy Member Posts: 827
    Well, I have started to show interest in browser mmos. There are some decent ones out there and since I am using my laptop a lot I would like a game that is easy accessible with low system requirements. A browser mmo is perfect for that.

MMOs currently playing: -
    About to play: Lord of the Rings Online
    Played: Anarchy Online (alltime favorite) and lots of f2p titles (honorable mentions: 9Dragons, Martial Heroes, Dekaron, Atlantica Online)

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

Thats funny because i am the same. If one of my "hated" or "ignore this" labels pop up, i simply hit the x to close.

This happens to me if i see the following labels on a game

1. Browser MMO
    2. No Download!
    3. Ubisoft involved (sorry, loved that company, but they just got bad and worse)
    4. Free to Play
    5. Platformer
    6. 2d
    7. Lobby

But actually a developer i know for great games can change my standing. Like Blizzard (always great and polished games, regardless of how i feel about wow now), BlueByte, 2k Games. Also, as strange as it might sound... but also SoE as a publisher makes me check out games that id normaly avoid. I simply like their FTP system as it gives me the option to pay flat.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

I try wartune before cause my friend invite , turn base RPG .

It had good ideas , but heavy P2W kill the mood too fast.

Dungeon rampage action RPG also good to spend time , but i turn off most of them after see some SS

I don't have problem with cheap graphic , as long as the art acceptable.

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461
    Originally posted by greenreen

I think that's because the right devs aren't all there yet or are just getting into things.

Browsers are poised for being a big thing with some of the new tech.

<snip>

Sorry, but as a developer I can tell you that Browser based MMORPG's will NEVER take off unless some drastically fantastic tech is integrated into future browsers.

Web Browsers have resource limitations that every engine I have come across run into, and eventually stone-wall to death over.

Non-browser based games will always have the advantage of pure system-resource access allowing much more fidelity and control over BB-Games. Only PR spinning a game into levels of ludicrously high Hype would ever go anywhere. As only lies and frustrating promises will ever get a BrowserBased MMORPG off the ground.

Just saying...

• GyfaldGyfald Member Posts: 1

If you want a browser mmo with 3d graphic there is City of Steam: Arcadia made in Unity.

I have not played much but what I have seen seems good for a browser mmo.

Originally posted by Gyfald

what I have seen seems good for a browser mmo.

Good for a browser mmo, translates into: "Would be better if not in browser".

I think this is the issue we are facing. Why spend my time on a "good for being xy" type of game, if i can just play a better game? Not like there are not enough games to choose from. Spare time is valueable once you leave school age, so no point in wasting it on something with a "but".

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    It's pretty simple, everyone knows that if it's browser based, neither graphics or mechanics will be anything close to standard games. It's the lame, ugly brother of a regular mmorpg.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by BearKnight

I think that's because the right devs aren't all there yet or are just getting into things.

Sorry, but as a developer I can tell you that Browser based MMORPG's will NEVER take off unless some drastically fantastic tech is integrated into future browsers.

Web Browsers have resource limitations that every engine I have come across run into, and eventually stone-wall to death over.

Non-browser based games will always have the advantage of pure system-resource access allowing much more fidelity and control over BB-Games. Only PR spinning a game into levels of ludicrously high Hype would ever go anywhere. As only lies and frustrating promises will ever get a BrowserBased MMORPG off the ground.

Just saying...

Free Realms, Travian, Runescape and Evony are just a few reasons why you probably should dial back on your "I'm (supposedly) a developer, so I know" shtick.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    I just assume they are going to be cheap and crap (and probably a cash grab) and avoid them.  The word browser alone is enough to put me off.  
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Mr.Kujo
    It's pretty simple, everyone knows that if it's browser based, neither graphics or mechanics will be anything close to standard games. It's the lame, ugly brother of a regular mmorpg.

This.  It's most likely going to be a woefully shallow experience and likely a gash grab. That won't be necessarily true forever, but I have yet to be impressed by a browser game.

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by Rusque
    Originally posted by Mr.Kujo

This.  It's most likely going to be a woefully shallow experience and likely a gash grab. That won't be necessarily true forever, but I have yet to be impressed by a browser game.

gash grab? What the hell sort of games are you playing? 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I did, right up until I played in the City of Steam beta. It can actually work. I still prefer a downloadable client though. It seems like the control scheme was a bit wonky, but I can't be sure if that was because of the web client, or if they just made a wonky control scheme.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I don't play them because so far none of them ever offer what I'm looking for. I don't like "cute" games or funny little time wasters. I hate facebook games and that style.

My wife on the other hand loves them and it's all she plays.

Like many games in the industry, they're just not designed with my interests in mind.

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by BearKnight

Just saying...

Free Realms, Travian, Runescape and Evony are just a few reasons why you probably should dial back on your "I'm (supposedly) a developer, so I know" shtick.

Might want to doublecheck your facts.

Neither of those games you listed is a MMORPG of any value to speak of. All of those games are near the "trash"definition and are FAR from being a good game. I am not even sure IF they are even considered MMORPGs, Travian for sure is not.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lizardbones I did, right up until I played in the City of Steam beta. It can actually work. I still prefer a downloadable client though. It seems like the control scheme was a bit wonky, but I can't be sure if that was because of the web client, or if they just made a wonky control scheme.
    Websites can be coded to pickup any keystroke you make. That I can tell you for sure. There are ways to capture keyboard and mouse events. Some things inbuilt are lacking though like scroll wheel/page up/page down buttons because that would normally affect the scrollbar of the page.

This gives an overview of what is mostly baked into the DOM http://w3schools.com/jsref/dom_obj_event.asp This gives it to you in nerd speak from the board that creates all the standards. http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Events/events.html

That might give you info to decide if it was a limitation of the system or them being obtuse.

City of Steam uses the Unity engine, so it's not running in HTML5 or anything like that. They had a combination "click to move" & "standard MMORPG movement" scheme, that you could sort of switch between, but it was weird. It's been awhile so I can't remember the detail that kept making me think, "This is weird", but it was there. I've messed around with the Unity engine a bit, and there's on particular reason to have a wonky control scheme, but then again, I never had it running inside a webpage using the Unity web control. Maybe switching the Unity client from inside the web page to full screen* requires something specific and there's no way around it.

* That's what it was. Something with switching the client from full screen to back to the browser window seemed like a button or combo that should have been used for movement.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.