Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The most frustrating experience I've had yet

2»

Comments

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Kasp3r

I'm sorry but your upset because anet are taking account security serious?

*thumbs up*

Think he's upset that it took 6 weeks.

That would indeed be the problem. 

According to your OP, ANET was trying to work with you on getting your account reset by asking all of those questions.  It's not their fault you couldn't answer more than you could or that you didn't save your email.  Be glad they take their security seriously.  After I dealt with probably one of the most shady publisher/developer out there, I'm glad that ANET is actually serious about their security. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    But B2P games are the awesome!  Once they have your money, they have incentive to continue to support you so that you keep your subscrip.... errr.  Yay, they already have all your money!  Your power as a consumer = nothing! ;)
  • KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022
    Originally posted by Carnicide

No, it wasn't my fault, and according to the apology that Anet emailed me I'm pretty sure it was entirely theirs. 

Needless to say, I'm able to log into my account and play now, it only took near a month to change a password though. 

Please don't listen to these people OP, I don't think they understand the frustration because they're blinded by their fanboism and have to stick up for the god and savior GW2. Since that's the way they treat this game, like it's the second coming of Christ. Thou shalt not talk bad about anything GW2!!!!!

Thou shall work in Customer/Tech Support at least once in life

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362

I"ve got to chime in on this and say I agree with the OP. Over the past two years I had been doing a lot of traveling for work. I initially picked up GW2 as the game I would play to unwind in the hotels in the evenings. Since my IP was constantly changing, it was constantly making me change stuff. I e-mailed ANET trying to get it to stop, explaining my situation, but I basically got the "there's nothing we can do". 

I got done traveling about 6 months ago. Thought I would get to give GW2 a decent go. In comes the reset password thing even though my password was correct. Like one of the above posters said, always save all that info, well I do. I even pay a company a monthly fee  to save info like passwords, usernames, bank account numbers, etc. and keep them secure. Even with all the info ANET wanted, which suprisingly I had, the very next day it was asking me to reset my password again. 

TL:DR

While I liked the game, ANET's wierd security killed my patience with them. After a 3rd time asking me to change my password, I said screw, it, not doign it all again. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by killion81
    But B2P games are the awesome!  Once they have your money, they have incentive to continue to support you so that you keep your subscrip.... errr.  Yay, they already have all your money!  Your power as a consumer = nothing! ;)

Hello Killion. I see you're new to reality, so let me explain a wee bit about the GW2 B2P model. They're not content (nor should they be) to simply get the money for the box. They desire cash shop transactions for the cosmetic goodies they have in there. In order to get people to purchase fluff for the game they need people not only playing but also enjoying the game. So, the reality is, no, they do not have all your money. They only have the box price and hope to convince you to give more regularly through micro-transactions.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by Kenaoshi

No, it wasn't my fault, and according to the apology that Anet emailed me I'm pretty sure it was entirely theirs. 

Needless to say, I'm able to log into my account and play now, it only took near a month to change a password though. 

Please don't listen to these people OP, I don't think they understand the frustration because they're blinded by their fanboism and have to stick up for the god and savior GW2. Since that's the way they treat this game, like it's the second coming of Christ. Thou shalt not talk bad about anything GW2!!!!!

I actually do work for IT/customer support  in a call center, so yes I know how it works. It's funny that you just tried to defend GW2 and your tag shows you've put a shit ton of time into the game. I get it you're passionate about your savoir, but no we don't want to drink the kool aid.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022
    Originally posted by Kenaoshi

I actually do work for IT/customer support  in a call center, so yes I know how it works. It's funny that you just tried to defend GW2 and your tag shows you've put a shit ton of time into the game. I get it you're passionate about your savoir, but no we don't want to drink the kool aid.

Oh my, god forbid someone joins these forums and actually LIKE a game...

So you also think that policies that ensure consumer security, even though they clearly show a risky behavior, are part of a bad game? :/  

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by killion81

*Sneezes*

Man there go my allergies again.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    play secret world and wait for ESO is my advise.
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

While that does sound frustrating, they were also having serious issues with compromised accounts a long while back (as every new MMO seems to have nowadays).  There was a point a few months after launch when they required everyone to create new, much longer passwords (something like 25+ characters).  Mine is basically a full sentence and, needless to say, completely different than any of my other passwords. 

This is a real danger with pretty much any user interactions with the internet nowadays.  As such, it's absolutely crucial that everyone keeps track of their information in a place they can easily access.  I personally keep all of my information for everything I have an account for in a discretely named word document located in a bizarre place on my harddrive, which I also backup on my external HD every couple months as well as print out to have a hard copy in case I lose access to my electronic devices.  Right now, I'm staring at my 25 digit GW2 serial code, my strange password, my 25 digit GW2 beta key, and even the two different 12 digit ticket numbers for support tickets I created during one of the beta weekends (I humorously remember now that my character got perma stuck on the spikes in the Harathi Hiinterlands jumping puzzle during the 3rd beta weekend; I basically just had to reroll a new character to play for the rest of the weekend.)

I'm not saying Anet's password retrieval process couldn't be easier.  I've been inconvenienced too when I tried to play the game on a friend's computer in a different state when I stayed over his house for the weekend but couldn't remember my password for the life of me.  I didn't have a copy of all my information with me, and I wasn't even about to begin to go through the crazy retrieval process, so I just didn't play for the weekend.  But I also think Anet has done a great job at keeping player accounts secure since their security changes.  This is the lesser of two potential problems, imo.  Unfortunately, players must adapt to the cruel internet dangers and get more organized about their information.  

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    I reset my password with no problems but then again I have 3 email accounts that I only use for games. Plus, I write down all my passwords and user names and update them when they change. Six weeks to get things fixed must have been frustrating but the most frustrating ever??? First world problems, yo.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Elevenb4

I"ve got to chime in on this and say I agree with the OP. Over the past two years I had been doing a lot of traveling for work. I initially picked up GW2 as the game I would play to unwind in the hotels in the evenings. Since my IP was constantly changing, it was constantly making me change stuff. I e-mailed ANET trying to get it to stop, explaining my situation, but I basically got the "there's nothing we can do". 

I got done traveling about 6 months ago. Thought I would get to give GW2 a decent go. In comes the reset password thing even though my password was correct. Like one of the above posters said, always save all that info, well I do. I even pay a company a monthly fee  to save info like passwords, usernames, bank account numbers, etc. and keep them secure. Even with all the info ANET wanted, which suprisingly I had, the very next day it was asking me to reset my password again. 

While I liked the game, ANET's wierd security killed my patience with them. After a 3rd time asking me to change my password, I said screw, it, not doign it all again. 

I was asked once to verify my IP address ,,,,but Anet never ever asked me to change a password , although I've had about 5 scam email's asking me to do so which falls in line with the same request I get from a WOW scam every week for the last 7 years

• PreparedPrepared Member UncommonPosts: 103

I don't see an option on here to do a rating up for this reply.  Very nicely put.

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Bad.dog

I was asked once to verify my IP address ,,,,but Anet never ever asked me to change a password , although I've had about 5 scam email's asking me to do so which falls in line with the same request I get from a WOW scam every week for the last 7 years

I'm not talking about stupid phishing emails, I'm talking about the launcher asking me to change my password all the time. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by Bad.dog

I'm not talking about stupid phishing emails, I'm talking about the launcher asking me to change my password all the time. 

I wonder what the hell you do wrong then mate, i game from home and from work and all i got to do is authorize my log-in attempt in a mail that get sent within 2 mins.

Never had to change my password if i dident want to myself for security reasons.

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by Uhwop

Purchased the game back when it released, and played for a couple of months.  A few weeks ago I decided to play it some, but I can't remember my password. 

Remembering my password is odd, since when I try to log into my account to download the game it automatically puts the password in for me, which means that I saved it with the browser option.  That and I was pretty sure I knew the password. 

No big deal, I do this often and need to reset passwords on a rather regular basis because I never remember them.  Click the link for the "can't remember password".  They want information I don't have, like the serial code that was emailed to me when I purchased the game.  Obviously I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed because I don't have the email with the serial code, which is also odd to me because I'm sure if the email had said that I would need this code in order to change my password in future, and knowing how I constantly need to do that, I would have saved the email.  Alas, I did not save the email. 

So I email support and explain to them what's going on.  This was a few weeks ago.  They wanted other information, like what server was I on, what was the date I purchased the game, when was the last time I played, what are my character names and professions, what credit cards did I use.  Some of this I could give them, mainly what race and class my characters where, and even a couple of names; the rest, however, not possible.  Something like 6 emails all asking me for the same information over and over again.

After a few weeks, in which I heard nothing from Arena net over the last week, I get an email with a link to reset my password as well as a thanks for being patient. 

The link doesn't work. 

Right this moment, I seriously @#%$&; hate Arena net. 

/endrant

Never save your password in the browser its painfully easy for someone loaning your computer to pull out all those passwords mate, not sure but i guess someone hacking it could take em to not that tech savy ^_^

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    I'm almost 9 months into my support ticket after someone from China logged into my inactive NCsoft account. Arena Net and NCsoft have some of the shittiest customer support I've ever dealt with; It's simply non-existent.

What does an NCSoft account have to do with ArenaNet and GW2? You don't need an NCSoft account at all and the customer relations are completely separate entities.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303

It's not the commtment to account security that has the OP pissed. It's the ridiculous lack of customer support. I'm having the same issue as he is. I had left the game with no intention of going back. I recently upgraded my computer and didn't even think to back up the file with GW2 info because to my thinking at the time, I wasn't going back.

As life tends to do, it threw me a curveball. A couple of friends who have never played it decided to try and asked if I would play with them. Okay, sure, why not?

I understand why they ask for the game code, it makes sense. I work in small/medium size business sales for McAfee, I'm all for extra secuity. However, not having the code, I emailed customer support.

First, they asked for:

• Your Guild Wars 2 Serial Code (Didn't have. If I did, this email wouldn't be necessary.)
    • Your Guild Wars 2 Display Name (ex: MyName.1234) Provided
    • The name of a character on the account - Provided
    • The date the account was created within 72 hours - Provided

However, that wasn't enough, so they asked for;

• When was the last time you accessed Guild Wars 2?
    • What is your account’s current home world (server)?
    • What is your main character’s name, profession, and race? 
    • If you are in a guild, what is your main guild’s name and tag? 

• What rank do you hold in your main guild?
    • On what date did you first notice that you no longer had access to your Guild Wars 2 account?
    • What Internet Service Provider do you use?
    • Did you purchase Guild Wars 2 from Buy.GuildWars2.com (the official website) or through a retailer? If you purchased through a retailer, please provide us the name and location of that retailer.
    • What is your Guild Wars 2 Serial Code?

I provided all the information they asked for except for the serial code (which if I had I woundn't be engaged in this circus anyway) and what retailer I got the game from. I don't know. My guild bought me a copy of the game because at the time, I didn't have my current job and wasn't doing well financially. I always helped other less fortunate guild mates out, so when I was down on my luck, they stepped up to help me.

I have not heard back from this final email. At this point, I've given up. I will not be playing even if they do get back to me. Yes, it's my fault for not keeping the info. However, my faux pas is no excuse for their lack of customer service. I've worked in sales and customer service for 10 years. Yes, customers do stupid stuff all the time. Yes, it's their fault. But guess what? You're in Customer Service. It's your job to smooth the situation over, find a solution, and keep the customer happy. Not drive them away through repetition of the same questions followed by inaction. I've jumped through all their hoops. I've answered as much as I can answer. Yet, no response and no real help.