Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HELP: Win 8.1 shuts down USB Harddisc every time

ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 7,911Member Uncommon
Ok ever since I updated to Windows 8.1 my external HD via USB goes to some sort of sleep mode after 10 secs. This is extremely annoying. Anyone knows some way to solve this?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• jazz.bejazz.be Sint-NiklaasPosts: 820Member Uncommon

There are actually settings that control sleep behavior on devices such as hard disks.

Perhaps for some reason these settings have been set to 10 seconds or so.

• zevianzevian toledo, OHPosts: 401Member Uncommon
  • NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,772Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Elikal
    Ok ever since I updated to Windows 8.1 my external HD via USB goes to some sort of sleep mode after 10 secs. This is extremely annoying. Anyone knows some way to solve this?

Go to Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> Change advanced settings -> Usb Settings

Then set how long until your disk is turned off.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 7,911Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by zevian

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2013/11/01/help-after-installing-windows-8-1-my-usb-drive-disappears-or-file-transfers-stop-unexpectedly-r-a-post-title.aspx

Try That.    Ive never personally ran into this issue so I cant offer you any first hand advice.

Oof... thanks. But for now I prefer not tampering with the registry. Only as last resort. I keep it in mind tho. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• zevianzevian toledo, OHPosts: 401Member Uncommon
    Yea i dont blame ya,   the first part is the same thing nitth is saying just showing you pictures.
  • Imperator91Imperator91 Columbus, OHPosts: 5Member
    Device manager > Disk Drives > find USB HDD> right click, properties > Power management tab > uncheck allow the computer to turn this device off to save power.
  • karmathkarmath Posts: 845Member Uncommon
    Or you could just do away with win 8 and go back to 7 like any sane person :)
  • NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,772Member Uncommon

Originally posted by zevian http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2013/11/01/help-after-installing-windows-8-1-my-usb-drive-disappears-or-file-transfers-stop-unexpectedly-r-a-post-title.aspx     Try That.    Ive never personally ran into this issue so I cant offer you any first hand advice.
    Oof... thanks. But for now I prefer not tampering with the registry. Only as last resort. I keep it in mind tho. ^^

I can understand the uneasiness about tinkering, But the registry isnt the boogyman everyone thinks it is.

If you follow their instructions its quite easy. all your doing is adding a key, your not overriding or changing anything and if you don't get the desired outcome, simply remove the key.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 8,281Member Rare
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by zevian http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2013/11/01/help-after-installing-windows-8-1-my-usb-drive-disappears-or-file-transfers-stop-unexpectedly-r-a-post-title.aspx     Try That.    Ive never personally ran into this issue so I cant offer you any first hand advice.

I can understand the uneasiness about tinkering, But the registry isnt the boogyman everyone thinks it is.

If you follow their instructions its quite easy. all your doing is adding a key, your not overriding or changing anything and if you don't get the desired outcome, simply remove the key.

To add, if you back up your registry before you modify it, even if things go wrong you can restore the previous version. That's essentially what a windows save point does. You can even do it two ways, 1. manually save a backup copy of your registry and, 2. Use Windows backup and restore to save a snapshot you can restore to.

Also if you haven't tried Nitth's suggestion of modifying the power-saver settings, try that and see if it works.

Centuries ago, in primitive times, before the dawn of civilization, there were things that would be inconceivable to us today; such things as poverty, disease, violence, senility, and love.