Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Possibly the biggest threat to WoW so far

FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,564Member Uncommon

I think this game may actually hit WoW's subs hard. Unlike so many other WoW clones, this seems to be doing what WoW did, but better. The stylized graphics are sharper, the combat more slick. It is adding housing which Blizzard is attempting to answer with their own version. The crafting is a more customizable version of WoW's tried and true system. I think this is less of a WoW clone and more of a WoW v2.0

They are doing what Blizzard did to EQ. And they may just beat them at their own game. I think Anet tried to beat WoW by going the polar opposite route. But Wildstar seems to have everything that a WoW fan enjoys, but better.

The storylines and characters are tounge in cheek and full of pop culture references, the raids seem bigger and badder, exploration is a career path.

I think WoW just may take its biggest subscription hit when this game launches. And I think Blizzard knows it.

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread PshPosts: 5,495Member Uncommon
    You were the last person I expected to make a WoW killer thread.
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Dorval, QCPosts: 869Member Uncommon
    I haven't played WildStar but I definitely don't get the feeling it will be super popular for a long time. Just a feeling, nothing concrete to back it up or anything.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,564Member Uncommon

Originally posted by colddog04
    You were the last person I expected to make a WoW killer thread.

haha believe me, I'm not saying it as a fan. In fact, this game hasn't really appealed to me as of yet. But looking at the design and systems of this game, it really does look like a sequel to WoW. And that may end up taking away a lot of subs.

• patience13patience13 New York, NYPosts: 12Member Uncommon
    When you say better then all these wow clones...what kind of sub numbers are you predicting for WildStar?
  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,494Member Uncommon

It wont do jack to WoW (or other games)

Only WoW can kill itself, just like other games have.

This imo has been proven over and over again.

Also WoW didn't make a serious impact on any of the previous games either.

Rift at release was "wow done better" - Rift today is vastly different and stands on its own, but it made no impact on WoW.

GW2, FF14ARR..… no impact.

Wildstar won't be any different.

IMO folks who love WoW - stick with WoW.

• KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 19,966Member Uncommon
    It's missing one very key element that Wow has, a popular IP behind it.

This alone will hamper it's success as the average WOW player will likely never hear of it.

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by patience13
    When you say better then all these wow clones...what kind of sub numbers are you predicting for WildStar?

I dont know what the subs will be for Wildstar, but I do think this game has the potential to pull a lot of NA/UK subs from WoW..and keep em.

Originally posted by Kyleran

This alone will hamper it's success as the average WOW player will likely never hear of it.

Its also missing Blizzard.

Also missing WoW engine and combat.

Also missing years of loot earned and friendships formed over the years of WoW play.

Missing is the emotional connection to years put into playing your character.

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Phoenix, AZPosts: 275Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano

Rift at release was "wow done better" - Rift today is vastly different and stands on its own, but it made no impact on WoW.

Clueless.

Wow is down over 6 million subs, they didn't all just leave the genre.

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,899Member Uncommon

It does have one key element WoW no longer has, devs that actually designed it :).

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

• DeniZgDeniZg ZagrebPosts: 669Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I dont know what the subs will be for Wildstar, but I do think this game has the potential to pull a lot of NA/UK subs from WoW..and keep em.

Honestly, I think Wildstar will hit SWTOR's player base (or what's left of it) harder than WoW's. Whether they will be able to overcome unknown IP, depends on the marketing hype, which I think they will increase a lot more as the launch approaches.

Originally posted by DeniZg
    Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by patience13 When you say better then all these wow clones...what kind of sub numbers are you predicting for WildStar?
    Honestly, I think Wildstar will hit SWTOR's player base (or what's left of it) harder than WoW's. Whether they will be able to overcome unknown IP, depends on the marketing hype, which I think they will increase a lot more as the launch approaches.

I feel like SWTOR's main playerbase are Star Wars fans. I don't think they will jump ship because of a similar setting.
    Originally posted by AZHokie54

Clueless.

Attrition over time - every game has it, people leave WoW as they get *done* with it, happens with every game.

WoW was over 10mil subs for a looooong time, people are just done and moving on, it doesnt mean to other games necessarily.

WoW as of Nov 6 is at 7.6mil subs - so that's 100k down from Aug.

So the question is for WoW to be hit *hard* by Wildstar how many players out of 7.6 million would they have to lose to Wildstar?

• NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member

i agree

before WOW launched, Blizzard was world renown for Warcraft series

- a 10 year old game franchise   (first warcraft game was 1994)

having fans of Diablo and Starcraft didnt hurt too

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Red wing, MNPosts: 262Member

What's left of Swtor player base ?  The million playing every month you mean?  I bet wild star hopes in 2+years they have that many players.  

So do some people just have an obsession with swtor? Do these people drive down the street and compare the tree in their yard to a tree in Swtor?  

• syriinxsyriinx New York, NYPosts: 1,059Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by AZHokie54

Clueless.

He is partially right.  No game's release has EVER made a noticeable impact on WoW.   

WoW being down 6 million subs has very little to do with the competition and more to do with the direction and the age of WoW.  There isnt a single downward spike you can attribute to a game's release.

WoW did make a serious impact on EQ, that is unquestionable.  The game went from it peak subs to sharp downward turn pretty much overnight.  EQ2 is partly to blame too of course.

If you want to take subs away from WoW you need a game thats not like WoW.  WoW played absolutely nothing like EQ.  There were familiar concepts because of the genre, but the two games are about as different as games get.  WoW addressed some of the issues people had with EQ (needing large chunks of time to accomplish things, being unable to solo).

Also WoW's combat and presentation are superior to any of the games its inspired.  DMKano called Rift a better WoW, but he couldnt be more wrong.  The combat is inferior and the presentation is a huge leap backwards.  Any game wanting to take subs from WoW needs to at least equal it there, and no game has done so yet.

• Psion33Psion33 La Crosse, WIPosts: 248Member

I just wanna throw my money at this game! I love every aspect of it.

I hope they either segregate/ stop/ segregate the F2P player base. You know the F2P'ers, through CREDD will try to rear their nasty, ugly heads.

If they stay away...this game will definitely be good.

• AvarixAvarix Chicago, ILPosts: 376Member Uncommon

^ This.

If it takes a lot of World of Warcraft players I think it will have to be through word of mouth. That's difficult to do. Especially since a lot of those players have years invested in not just the game but the other players. It can be done, it just won't be easy. If the systems in Wildstar are solid and polished, and able to retain most players (Something most MMORPGs utterly fail at), then it certainly has a shot at making a large dent in the Warcraft player base. As usual, have to wait and see how it plays out. Based on past experiences though, this won't be the case.

• RenoakuRenoaku Posts: 1,003Member Uncommon

I haven't played this game yet, but to me it looks like crap based on what I have seen in snap-shots nothing that is impressive. Also the company that runs this NCsoft has a reputation for not doing anything for compromised accounts, going 1-2 years ago my Entire L2 account stripped when their game went F2P due to something on their end that caused an account compromise I was not the only play they refused to restore the gear lost which was on my account for 5 years nothing happened to my account until 1 day after F2P.

Which leads me to think of what would happen again even if I did like Wild Star as a game after actually giving the game a try I would honestly rather stick to a new game company that has never done any wrongs like ESO, or any other F2P game not run by NCsoft.

As I have never played the game I can't say the game flat out sucks I am just not impressed by all the Snap-Shots I have seen form the game looks to cartoony models look bad to me, I was more impressed with what I have seen with ESO.

I really don't think Wild Star will be any threat to WOW because at least when my account was compromised on WOW they restored my account didn't really ask too many questions and actually did their JOB, okay I admit I am not a wow fan anymore I don't love wow because of the changes, but still as a company they restored the items, everything just like it was and have been very helpful. NCsoft as a company has not, poor support, Hundreds of hours of grind in a game I once loved Lost even when they were notified like 1 or 2 days after it took place. The compromised of my wow account took place due to an add-on from curse gaming that had a keylogger, or malicious script.

If anything, I think wow will die off because of a lot of games that are better than it. But you know the true secret I think that Blizzard has a plan to upgrade character models of WOW, or World OF Warcraft 2 Development already under-way just in-case. So either way WOW will not fully die as a game, but it would go F2P before that for sure.

• MikePaladinMikePaladin NewYork, NYPosts: 233Member
  • Psion33Psion33 La Crosse, WIPosts: 248Member
    3 of my 4 classes in college we've talked about Wildstar. Everyone's getting it LOL. :)
  • cybersurfrcybersurfr ParadisePosts: 168Member Uncommon

It's still too early to tell - it's just not as popular as it may seem. To the regular crowd going to these sites, it may appear like that but it's not that mainstream. It's a solid game and their marketing guys are pretty creative, but I'm just saying the initial impact won't be so large to be deemed as a 'threat'.

After that initial hype, the 1-2 month phase comes in to judge how the game will fare in the long run. All in all, it's looking to be another GW2. Before we get into that, let's just wait and see.

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Mitchell, ONPosts: 132Member
    "This game is the WoW killer!'          Never heard that one ten times before......
  • sonicbrewsonicbrew Sparkill, NYPosts: 511Member
    HAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!  <slaps knee> BWAHAHAHAAAAAA!!! Oh man that was some seriously funny stuff and I don't even play WOW anymore. lol!

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb

• curacura WarsawPosts: 950Member Uncommon

To be honest i think SWTORs player base has little interest in a game that looks almost like wow and is directed at even younger audience. The part that has already left for wow. The rest that still play wont exchange SW world for this thing. We'll see.