Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: Explaining It All

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A separate pair of interesting features cropped up last week to help explain exactly what EverQuest Next: Landmark is and how it differs from EverQuest Next itself. We take a look at what was revealed and offer a few thoughts. Read on and then head to the comments to chat.

The first video, which is embedded below, shows Dave Georgeson explaining some of the features of the game. The promo explains the premise and the promise of the game: Not only can users build a world of their imaginings and share created successes with others, they can also explore the world, seeking new sights, enemies, and materials for your enjoyment.

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s Everquest Next: Landmark: Explaining It All.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DrecapzDrecapz Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Fix what? Its going into beta or alpha one of the two. They have plenty of time.
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    It's worth $20 to get in early for sure. Pretty stoked.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Personally I find that the developing of two games at the same time to be in line for one of the dumbest things I have seen a development team do.  Of course it is SOE, so what do you expect.  Then again, they have been better lately.

I will reserve judgement until I can play it, but the cartoony aspects don't really appeal to me atm.

• OrrinnOrrinn Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by DMKano

The floating bags when digging..... seriously what were they thinking?

Also screen tearing in game, engine needs more work. They have a few months to fix it thankfully.

Terry Michaels made mention in the video that the bags are only a place holder graphic, and what we'll actually see in the finished product will look like the harvested resources.

I'm also assuming the screen tearing is due to the recording equipment, not necessarily the game itself. Even if it is, though, as you mentioned they have time to fine tune it, especially considering it's not even in alpha yet.

At this point, I think I'm more excited for Next than I am for Landmark, but I still think Landmark is a really great idea and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Game History (the ones that count): Everquest, Everquest 2, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Planetside 2

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

People scream for a sandbox...  Well here it is.

If the tools are well designed and easy to use, this title will shine. It will only be as good as the community that plays it. Hopefully SOE will have designed the favorable conditions that will entice an imaginative and skilled community to grow and flourish.

I'm looking forward to Alpha

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Personally I find that the developing of two games at the same time to be in line for one of the dumbest things I have seen a development team do.  Of course it is SOE, so what do you expect.  Then again, they have been better lately.

I will reserve judgement until I can play it, but the cartoony aspects don't really appeal to me atm.

SOE is large enough to staff enough people to work on two games...or ten for that matter. also, this is as cartoony as TESO.

@DMKano it is just entering ALPHA now, Beta wont be coming for another 4-5 months. the game is filled with place holders and doesn't have entire systems in yet, like combat.

This game is bridging the gap between Minecraft and MMOs. hopfully this and Shroud of the Avatar will be decent successes and then perhaps, in another 3-4 years we can finally say goodbye to the trap the genre has been in and end this horrible cycle of EQ1/DaoC/WoW themepark clones and free the players.

No more hand holding or guide rail content. We can have worlds we not only can effect change in, but build and destroy ourselves.

Imagine, instead of a world made by developers that cut the player base off into 3 different parts to funnel them into one central PvP area also closed off we instead have a world where WE create what we like, we fight for what we like and make our own pride.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• nk362ynk362y Member UncommonPosts: 31
    the things that were shown has me pretty excited for i cant wait to get in there and start playing around 
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I have nothing against cartoony graphics but EQN is way too bright. I feel like I'm being blinded every time I see a gameplay video or a picture of the game.

Smile

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    They should just combine this with Next

RIP Orc Choppa

• SidQFTSidQFT Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Originally posted by laserit

If the tools are well designed and easy to use, this title will shine. It will only be as good as the community that plays it. Hopefully SOE will have designed the favorable conditions that will entice an imaginative and skilled community to grow and flourish.

is it?  im still uncertain on alot of things?  is it a persistant-seemless-world or do you have to "invite" friends to view your realm, is there territory control/resource control -you know something actually worth fighting over,  is it open world pvp or do you have to flag yourself?  plus many other questions...  i just havent seen any definite answers from SOE on this.

• DarkagesDarkages Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Originally posted by arctarus

i agree

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    Originally posted by Darkages
    Originally posted by arctarus

i agree

arent they? wouldnt make sense if not

• WereLlamaWereLlama Member UncommonPosts: 246

I saw the battlemech in the landmark video.

What is the context management (only fantasy) for the game or will this be competition for second life ?

Thanks!

-WL

• ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by WereLlama

I saw the battlemech in the landmark video.

What is the context management (only fantasy) for the game or will this be competition for second life ?

Thanks!

-WL

I get the impression that this will be more...second life ish.  That being said though, they commented that you would be able to build something in Landmark and it would be voted on and if approved, could be imported into EQN as a purchasable item that you would get a commission off of.  Obviously, a Mech isnt going to make it into EQN....but, and pure conjecture here mind you....if they wanted to say...make another MMO that is more Sci-fi aka...EQ40K (lol at the thought)....then perhaps your mech could be voted on to go to EQ40K....so that Landmark becomes a playground for would be designers and artists to sell their user generated content in Sony's games, there by keeping all of their games fresh as determined by the community. If they manage to get to the point of being able to design whole quest series that can easily be implemented into a game world, then you're talking some real DnD stuff going on. Main reason I am watching these closely, if they live up to what I imagine they could be, this is going to be a change worthwhile.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    Suzie, can you update the title of this article to show that this is about EQ:NL and not EQ:N.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Why not make one good MMO instead of two "what the hell is it"s?
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I just can't get into games with graphics like this anymore.   I know there is a market for them, especially with the younger MMO players, but the whole "stylized" thing is just dumb looking.

You make me like charity

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Looks to me like a better looking Wurm Online. Outside of building I am still unsure of what exactly it does. Is this strictly a building tool or are there things like character progression and pvp? Sorry, haven't been following this closely at all.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Avarix
    Looks to me like a better looking Wurm Online. Outside of building I am still unsure of what exactly it does. Is this strictly a building tool or are there things like character progression and pvp? Sorry, haven't been following this closely at all.

landmark will have it all over time (but not at launch)

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/11/11/everquest-next-landmark-is-gurps-for-mmos/

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Avarix

landmark will have it all over time (but not at launch)

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/11/11/everquest-next-landmark-is-gurps-for-mmos/

That article gave me the direction it is heading and trying to achieve. Thank you very much for taking the time to post it! 

I am really interested in this now after reading that. What people were able to accomplish with the Aurora toolset in Neverwinter Nights was pretty amazing. Seems like this will take it to the next level. A MMORPG game has yet to capture that tabletop experience found while playing D&D in person. Just the ability to create amazing stories and experiences with easy to use tools. Seems like this could do it. I will be following closely now. Thanks again Nadia.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    That stream video was quite painful to watch honestly. Everything from the scam sales pitch that would not end to the horrible realization that this game took almost nothing from EQ1.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by JJ82
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

SOE is large enough to staff enough people to work on two games...or ten for that matter. also, this is as cartoony as TESO.

Uhh what?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Originally posted by SidQFT
    Originally posted by laserit

is it?  is there territory control/resource control -you know something actually worth fighting over,  is it open world pvp or do you have to flag yourself?  plus many other questions...  i just havent seen any definite answers from SOE on this.

None of those things are a requirement for a game to be a sandbox, they are however features a sandbox may have.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    So they are pretty much creating a Mod for their own game and selling one at a time which people are spending lots of money on, brilliant! Talk about a double dip, this puts a new meaning on that.
  • mavlin33mavlin33 Member Posts: 6

Going to be like player studio in a way but for eq next  basically, and instead of weapons and armor landscape is included etc.. Another lame way for them to take what you made and put it up for sale in the game store. Let the players do all the hardwork and let sony take your money.

No thanks I'll pass on this one. It says there not even part of the same game its like having a map editor for sykrim or another game except it doesn't get added to the game unless they like it.. Build, Play enjoy your minecraft single player game with possible buddy invite and that's about it from what ive seen. Lame in my opinion. I would prefer just eq next by itself.

But that's just me I guess were entitled to our own opinions. To each there own.