Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Endgame in ESO ... PvP or PvE mostly?

There seems to be dungeons(16 last I heard) but I am guessing they want PvP to be the main endgame entertainment or?

Thank you for clearing it up for me .... I really cant seem to find out :)

Comments

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

I want to know about thier end game as well.

For example what are the benefits for alting. What are the activities at end game?

How is player housing and end game connected?

What are the long term goals in the game, other than in the moment pvp/raids?

What are some activities which are not related to killing but show a dynamic world with mini games relating to social lives of people?

How is crafting tied into end game? Is it something useful?

Why would a person want to raid more than once? (Back to the long term goal idea)

How are gear grinds?

What are some player choices in the game with alliances to NPC guilds etc, and how that works in the end game?

I guess some of this has been mentioned, and some has not been. I think that there is no player housing at the moment, which is a shame, but I hope their other aspects make the end game that much more important.

For example, another thing for end game; why would a person explore ESO? How is exploration rewarded? Are there special loactions? Are there egg hunts? Is there land scaping? Can we find random areas to build something on it? Are we exploring for materials for end game? Is the world changing that things are different, that it requires a bit of exploration for certain things like NPCs, bosses, materials, open world objectives maybe with trade missions (disrupt/assist) etc.

A lot of unknowns for me, and end game is important if I am going to participate that some big things need to be in other than just banging on a fort keep door. Which is what GW2 did, and even though I own the game, I never even tried the epic seiges because the combat to me is not something I personally enjoy, and thus, meaningless seiges are meaningless.

If end game is meaningless, jsut as they are in single player games, then i hope they have great questing in groups or solo. Since I wont be wasting time with end game if its hollow. Since a hollow experience is usually 'balanced' with a gear grind to make it more 'enjoyable'. Just my opinion, and I sure millions of new MMO players will love a hollow end game experience even with a gear grind if its their first MMO... so I guess I can only speculate and hope for the best.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

2/3th of the open PvE world comes available at max level

All Dungeons have a sepperate version with different content that become available at max level..

there are 450 adventure zones, which will work as story based raid zones that are available at max level.

And then there is the PvP part in Curodill

So obviously the endgame consists of 2 parts.

However we dont know yet how much character and gear progression there is at max level, not for PvE and PVP...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Incomparable

For example what are the benefits for alting. What are the activities at end game?

*shady marketing department guy takes notes*

Tomorrows press release

What will you do at endgame!? I glad you asked! Once you reach level cap, we made it real easy to "reinvent" your play style and revisit content you missed! Our "reinvention system".....

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244

At the moment the only endgame they have talked about is there version of GW2 wvwvw in the form of cyrodil as one big 3 faction pvp zone.

PvE they have said once you finished your factions story you can simply switch and play through a different factions story. And besides the story there is harder modes of dungeons.

That's about all they have really talked about although they have said they are not planning any raid pve content at the moment and none is development they have mentioned this a few times. I get the feeling like GW2 they are hoping to make there 3 faction pvp a major focus of the endgame. Plus all the best gear in game is crafted so I imagine there will be a heavy foucs on professions too.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

There is an NDA, which is a good indication that there is not much to say about end-game.  Or revealing too much may kill the hype too soon.

End game from what I can see is either roll a new character / faction, or do PVP.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Karteli

There is an NDA, which is a good indication that there is not much to say about end-game.  Or revealing too much may kill the hype too soon.

End game from what I can see is either roll a new character / faction, or do PVP.

I hoping that post cap character development plays a big part. They've mentioned how your skill progression continues after. I'm hoping this applies to all areas of character development, and that it has more depth than just clicking on some passive.

As far as the NDA, like a said in a previous thread, "I'm not sure why there is a NDA for this one."

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

The NDA isn't there to keep the hype. NDAs are much like the wooden walls around a protection site. Sure, sometimes you can find holes in the wall and glance through but what you'll see is an unfinished building.

If you look at the construction of a skyscraper being built you'd see bars of cement and steel, not office levels with nice decorations. If everyone would shout "That building is shit, there's not even any windows!" whilst it is being built you'd think he is pretty ignorant, right? Well, in most leaked videos of TES:O the game is purposely put in a bad light. Sure, you'll see the concept art of how the skyscraper might look whilst it finished. But don't expect it to look like that when it is barely finished

But keep in mind that Zenimax is still showing you the process, even with its flaws. And if you watch that you know that they're still working on it. Difference is that they are not purposely trying to show it in the worst light possible like the leaked footage of "Worst Youtube" that came out 8 months ago.

The NDA keeps people from complaining about the windows until the windows are in place. It is not a massive poster featuring fancy, reflective windows on a massive building. That's what SWTOR did.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Originally posted by bcbully

*shady marketing department guy takes notes*

Tomorrows press release

What will you do at endgame!? I glad you asked! Once you reach level cap, we made it real easy to "reinvent" your play style and revisit content you missed! Our "reinvention system".....

Re invent your play style... as in playing another class?

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

EQ/WoW style tierred gear based scripted raiding needs to die a horrible death.

The best "end game" I ever experienced was from DAoC. Most people were concerned with RvR or hunting in Darkness Falls. The raids that existed were more based on skill rather than number of people, or what items you had farmed. WoW, which by design is very clique-y, splinters the community. DAoC's raids were open to everyone to do for a bit of fun.

Sadly, I know that won't be what they do for PvE in this game. At least the RvR might be good, and if it is, that's all the end game you need to keep this game alive for a long time.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Based mostly on PvP will lose you a hugh chunk of players that do not care or only casually pvp.
  • artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by Swids2010

At the moment the only endgame they have talked about is there version of GW2 wvwvw in the form of cyrodil as one big 3 faction pvp zone.

PvE they have said once you finished your factions story you can simply switch and play through a different factions story. And besides the story there is harder modes of dungeons.

That's about all they have really talked about although they have said they are not planning any raid pve content at the moment and none is development they have mentioned this a few times. I get the feeling like GW2 they are hoping to make there 3 faction pvp a major focus of the endgame. Plus all the best gear in game is crafted so I imagine there will be a heavy foucs on professions too.

There seems to be a lot more to do in Cyrodiil than GW2. They will have PvE mixed in with the PvP and you can level there from level 10. Plus having to go there to buy and sell crafted items from player owned keeps. No AH in the PvE area, but you can still do player to player trades. It will mean a lot more to hold on to your keeps. You don't get a lot of points from flipping keeps, players will want to protect them as well as resources and supply lines. I believe I read that the best resources for crafting will be harvested in Cyrodiil.

After level cap, you still have a lot of skills to collect and points to earn to progress your character. They said that you will only have about 30% of your skills at cap. Plus they will be adding in new skills and increase the points you can earn with updates.

Once you finish your story, you can go do all the quests in one of the other factions. But all the mobs will be 50+. Then after completing the 2nd factions story, you can do it a 3rd time with the last faction with 50++ mobs. Doing that content will earn you skill points, end game gear, Veteran points, and so on.

Master dungeons will be just for level 50's and earn you veteran points for end game gear as well as skill points. The "raid" system in ESO will be the Adventure zones. Confirmed to be in a launch. These areas will be for groups up to 12 man groups.

The PvP will be a big part of end game, but still a lot of PvE with the 50+ and 50++ system as well as Adventure zones.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Ah yes, yet another "NDA is a conspiracy" post... no upcoming release MMO is complete without speculation about hidden motives behind the NDA.

Hmm... come to think of it... NDA... NSA.... just one short letter difference...coincidence? image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

There is no Player Housing in ESO

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

Unless you count the player owned keeps and such in Cyrodiil. image

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

Originally posted by artemisentr4

Players dont "own" those.

It will be the same as it was in DAOC.

Your Factions zerg will take a Keep and try to hold it until another Factions zerg takes it from you.

Rinse/Repeat

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Originally posted by Horusra
    Based mostly on PvP will lose you a hugh chunk of players that do not care or only casually pvp.

You could say that for literally any feature.

Put in instances and you lose a huge chunk of players that hate instancing, ect ect.

Eve and DAoC are some of the most popular MMOs ever, and they're PvP based.

Originally posted by Swids2010

At the moment the only endgame they have talked about is there version of GW2 wvw

Uh... you mean, Dark Age of Camelot's RvR? Which is what GW2 tried and failed to reproduce?

Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

EvE has surpassed DAOC (250k peak) numbers by 100+k, and maintained them. DAOC leveled off to about 120k average in its heyday.

Also, DAOC was popular when there were only like a half a dozen MMOs out.

Its easy to be #4 when there are only 6 games.

DAOC never was this "golden haired child of old" like people make it out to be.

It had mediocre PvE. Its saving grace was it was they only game that had a 3way PvP system. And that was only Meh. Mythic could never balance the classes for PvP. They were the Kings of the "stealth nerf"

EvE has surpassed DAOC (250k peak) numbers by 100+k, and maintained them. DAOC leveled off to about 120k average in its heyday.

Only 6 MMOs? Are you out of your mind? There were dozens and dozens of MMOs out at the time, all clamoring for a very tiny audience. For a while DAoC was second only to EQ in subs.

I'd even argue that the market was more competetive then.

In any case the point stands, having PvP as your end game, with PvE supporting it, or as something to do as a break from PvP, is a golden formula. There's a million WoW clones for doing DKP style EQ raiding, people can go play those if they want that.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

It had mediocre PvE. Its saving grace was it was they only game that had a 3way PvP system. And that was only Meh. Mythic could never balance the classes for PvP. They were the Kings of the "stealth nerf"

Maybe you should leave the DAoC opinion to those that actually played it when it was at its high..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Here's the perfect answer for what ESO will be trying to accomplish with their end game content. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH-i4YertxA

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Originally posted by artemisentr4

Players dont "own" those.

It will be the same as it was in DAOC.

Your Factions zerg will take a Keep and try to hold it until another Factions zerg takes it from you.

Rinse/Repeat

Guilds have to own keeps if they want to post and sell crafted items. Without a keep you will have to try to sell through chat. These keeps can sell to any PvE player. The player can just port in and out if they are not under siege. So guilds will want and hang onto keeps. Those who want to be emporer will be closer to the main city and will be under siege a lot. Others further away, not so much.

R.A.Salvatore

• RedruumRedruum Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I will try and gather up the links where these have been answered, but from all their articles this is what seems to be end game so far in ESO...

- Cyrodiil. A large zone that is open world pvp between the three factions. There are non instanced PVE caves/dungeons with loot in Cyrodiil. How awesome is crawling in a cavern for loot/gear with friends while keeping an eye out for other players that may be after the same loot and able to kill each other?!? You can level from 10 to 50 entirely in Cyrodiil if you wanted. There are sieges for keeps and for guilds holding keeps the keeps don't get reset at the end of he campaign, like GW2. So it actually makes sense to try and defend something you put time into. You could roam in large guild groups, you could roam in small groups taking over supply area's or hunt for other factions exploring in the caves or various area's. Healer's are recognized in Cyrodiil by getting points for healing your faction mates, where usually games typically just focus or reward on kills.

- Dungeons. I think they said they will have 16 dungeons at launch. When you reach 50 you get an extended version of those same dungeons. Think this is geared to 2-5 people.

- Adventure Zones. Zenimax refuses to use the word raid anywgere in their product. They refer to "raids" as Adventure Zones that are aimed for multiple groups and you will be warned before you enter one of these area's. Not much is known about them yet, but they said those will be their "raids". I have seen two different interviews and one said it was aimed for 10 or not people and another interview that said advebture zones will need 24 people to complete the content for these instanced Adventure zones.

Crafting sounds like it will be pretty important as well. I am sure there will be more at end game then what I mentioned, but those were the items that caught my eye.
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Maybe you should leave the DAoC opinion to those that actually played it when it was at its high..

I did play it. On Guin

Release up through the first year.

My opinion is valid

Only 6 MMOs? Are you out of your mind? There were dozens and dozens of MMOs out at the time, all clamoring for a very tiny audience. For a while DAoC was second only to EQ in subs.

I'd even argue that the market was more competetive then.

In any case the point stands, having PvP as your end game, with PvE supporting it, or as something to do as a break from PvP, is a golden formula. There's a million WoW clones for doing DKP style EQ raiding, people can go play those if they want that.

There may have been a few smaller ones. Im talking the AAA category.

In 2001 we had- UO, EQ1, AC, AO, DAOC and Runescape as the top AAA titles.

EQ was leader with UO, AC and DAOC vying for 2nd, 3rd and 4th. AO and RS came in last.

DAOC was #2 for awhile but it ended up with less subs than UO and AC

Golden Formula BWAAHAHAHAHAHAH!