Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is 2014 'the' most exiting year for the MMO genre?

13»

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Didn't we hear the same thing in 2011 about 2012?
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Lyrian
    This article pretty much lays out what we've all been saying about the industry. http://www.cracked.com/article_20727_5-reasons-video-game-industry-about-to-crash.html

those reasons are weak

the same 5 reasons existed as issues 10 years ago

despite all the problems, Videogames are pulling in the bucks

http://www.fastcompany.com/3021008/why-video-games-succeed-where-the-movie-and-music-industries-fail

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

I look at that list and wonder how/where im going to find enough time t play them.....the ones that actually launch that is. =)

except wild star. Not really pulling that

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Sad thing we've yet to have a break through to push the genre to the next level since WoW. WoW brought an easy presentation and playability to the genre. Now outside of graphics most games have been poor imitations and other types of MMORPG were dropped and never got the benefits the WoW age techniques lol.
  • Originally posted by Vermillion_Raventhal
    Sad thing we've yet to have a break through to push the genre to the next level since WoW. WoW brought an easy presentation and playability to the genre. Now outside of graphics most games have been poor imitations and other types of MMORPG were dropped and never got the benefits the WoW age techniques lol.

This explains why almost nobody gives a royal f about MMOs in 2014.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Tamanous

2015 and beyond also have very interesting prospects:

Pathfinder

won't see Pathfinder until 2016 at earliest

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2pj2m?How-Long-Will-Early-Enrollment-Last-Before

CEO, Goblinworks, Ryan Avatar
    Our current plan is that we'll begin Early Enrollment in Q3 of 2014, and Open Enrollment in Q1 of 2016.

Guess you do not know what "2015 and beyond" means.

I agree the bulk of the mmos to come out (especially the convoluted mix listed by the one poster) are crap and offer little new (other than being new) to the genre. I think the point here is that there are in fact several mmos coming out over the next few years that at least TRY to be original or offer something radically different than today's themeparks.

To say nothing new within mmos is coming is ridiculous. I imagine very few here have even played a real sandbox game for a long period of time, played pure skill based vs class based, actually played a real rvr game (no GW2 doesn't count) or played an mmo with decent realism without shortcuts to game play everywhere. The overall game play in some of the games will indeed be dramatically different than the run-of-the-mill. Whether they are fun and have sustainability is another matter.

You stay sassy!

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

Not really. There is some hype, but in comparison to a time just before now it is very low and there is a good amount of skepticism. 

The time that I remember having a lot of excitement with MMO's was the RIft Era, I'll call it. Rift just came out to start the era and people thought that game was good, and were really excited for: 2012 year.

1. Guild Wars 2
    2. Tera
    3. The Secret World
    4. Swtor
    5. FF14
    6. Planetside2
    7. Lotro Expansion was hyped
    8. Wow Expansion was hyped
    9. Remake of Neverwinter
    Also several that didn't make it were hyped:
    1. Warhammer 40k
    2. Darkfall expansion.
    And World of Darkness was still a thing. 

Back then it was difficult to hate on the games, today you criticize any of the games listed in the OP and you don't remotely have as many fanboys hounding you. 

People thought 2012 was going to change MMO's, not getting the same aura from MMOers today.  Regular gamers seem uninterested too, during 2011, you would see conversations about all those games everywhere, can't say the same about any game that is suppose to come out 2014. With the unusual exception of Wildstar, but even that doesn't compare. 

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by PerfArt

So on point. Wow that was a good year. I forgot that those all released so close together.

2014? Seems like it will be good, but to me it feels more like a transitional year. Like a bridge between the WoW era and whatever is next. Nothing being released seems like it will define the next evolution of MMORPGs, but help determine what that evolutionary step ends up being, depending on their respective levels of success and (to a lesser extent) critical reception.

I think we are already IN the next era.  The industry has transitioned almost fully over to F2P games that aren't really designed for long-term attraction.  Just "good enough" combat and pretty graphics, without any real interest in forging long-term dedication.  It's all just disposable enjoyment, which is fine I guess.

Ideally, what I'd like to see is a few of the indie MMO's that are in the works develop a small but loyal fanbase.  Stuff like that "life is feudal" and the Pathfinder MMO.  As long as the developer isn't trying to chase a million in subs, there's no reason they couldn't make a profit with a close-knit community of several hundred thousand.

Are we so sure it wasn't the bored players that drove games to become this disposable enjoyment first. Most of the great mmos didn't become great right away. It took them years to develop. People don't stay for years anymore.

That's because the games aren't interesting anymore.

Good MMos get better over time, but they have to be good first, and encourage people to keep playing. WoW clones with singleplayer content that you burn through and then quit afterwards... that doesn't encourage you to stay long enough for the game to start getting interesting.

If the game has no unique features, and no social/group content that encourages you to play and stay with others, people aren't going to stay.

It was publishers that drove the change in development, not the players. Because the players have been voting with how quickly they quit MMOs. The rapid decline of AoC and all the other WOW clones show people don't want these games.

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

2012 was definetly a better year for MMO genre

That's a depressing thought...=(

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    If Elite: Dangerous turns out to be half the game it's played up to be then I'll have something to play for a few years to come.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville