Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'I'm coming back for you' - What memorable mob or player did you mark for death?

LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Every now and then in MMOs I come across a mob or PK that became a post-it on my wall, a personal mission for a future date.

One notable mob was Son of Arugal in World of Warcraft. He roamed Silverpine Forest which was a level 15-20 or so area and he had a rather wide aggro range, probably because of his level compared to players. It seemed I was always with a group of players back then and no matter how many people we had, this werewolf-looking monstrosity would have us running for our lives - the fortune ones that didn't get clawed to death, that is. Either way, it seemed every low level player tread that area a lot more cautiously after their first encounter with him. :)

I was probably level 30 or so when I was PvPing in a nearby zone (Hillsbrad?) and saw in chat that some group got torn up by SoA and wanted help fighting him. I was like "Oh yeah, I remember that bastard," and sent a tell that I'd come help them. Hunting him down and giving him a taste of his own medicine was a pretty enjoyable experience.

As for PvPers - Kaz the Minotaur in UO. Pacific server, I think. The guy was a beast at PVP and after my first disastrous encounter with him, he became my personal gauge of how I was progressing at PVP. Whenever I felt I was honing my skills some, I'd head out to hunt him down and try my hand at defeating him. At one point I had gear set aside specifically for battle with him. The most humorous part of it is that this guy probably had no clue about this obsession I had developed or why I started actively hunting him and was probably rather confused when I'd come careening at him outside dungeon Covetous or his other usual PVP haunts.

What mobs or players ended up on your personal to-do list?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
"Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Comments

• nottunednottuned Member Posts: 92
    Hogger
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Yeah I was gonna say Son of Arugal heh.

This BH in SWG, cant remember his name. When I was a smuggler, he would take my bounties and I would light him up in space. He hated me so much because my gear on my player sucked, but my ship was decked out in some of the best parts to ever hit the server. He would chase me across the planet and I would hit the nearest shuttleport and launch into space. I remember getting so many hate tells from him lol. Every time he followed me into space, he'd lose. I would disable his ship to where he couldnt move or fire and tell him to drop my bounty or "boom". Good times.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Yeah I was gonna say Son of Arugal heh.

This BH in SWG, cant remember his name. When I was a smuggler, he would take my bounties and I would light him up in space. He hated me so much because my gear on my player sucked, but my ship was decked out in some of the best parts to ever hit the server. He would chase me across the planet and I would hit the nearest shuttleport and launch into space. I remember getting so many hate tells from him lol. Every time he followed me into space, he'd lose. I would disable his ship to where he couldnt move or fire and tell him to drop my bounty or "boom". Good times.

It sounds like you made it to a post-it on someone else's wall. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Interesting thread.  I definitely distinctly recall roaming too far north in Redridge Mountains in WoW to the Burning Steppes and being heavily penalized for my exploration in the form of an encounter with a level 50 fire breathing dragon whelp who seemed to spit fire at me from half a mile away.  Upon reaching level 50, I made it a point to return there to go on a dragon slaying rampage. 

It felt good.  

This topic reminds me of this old vanilla WoW revenge video.

I know I had similar experiences in FFXI before I ever played WoW, but I can't really remember any specifics.  You really couldn't explore anywhere in that game alone at low levels.  

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Foomerang Yeah I was gonna say Son of Arugal heh. This BH in SWG, cant remember his name. When I was a smuggler, he would take my bounties and I would light him up in space. He hated me so much because my gear on my player sucked, but my ship was decked out in some of the best parts to ever hit the server. He would chase me across the planet and I would hit the nearest shuttleport and launch into space. I remember getting so many hate tells from him lol. Every time he followed me into space, he'd lose. I would disable his ship to where he couldnt move or fire and tell him to drop my bounty or "boom". Good times.
    It sounds like you made it to a post-it on someone else's wall. :)

hehe probably. The gear on my smuggler was purely cosmetic, so if he ever did catch me before I could launch, I was 1 shotted. Thats what made it so tempting for him I guess. I did have a 6 second stun, though. Sometimes id hide around the corner by a shuttleport and stun him just to make sure I made it into space lol. damn what was that guys name!
  • tasburathtasburath Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Fippy Darkpaw and Ambassador D'Vinn
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Heh EVE-Online, pair of german twins, women no less, practicing piracy in the then renowned Egg-hell system in Gallente space, I've forgotten their names as this was some 6-7 years ago, but damn that week was fun as a noob engaging alongside others that pair, they'd always run when outnumbered but when they didn't... christ the pod goo flowed in space... at the end of the week they had had so much fun they gave both me and a few of the others a couple of mil for the fun :) awesome times and earned me my first cruiser hull.

• Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200

Pfft,..hands down for me,

FIPPY DARKPAW from eq.  this roaming Kobold in the newbie zones that would just run up on you.

"Baaarkk!  You've ruined your own homelands! ,..You won't ruin MINE!  BaRRK!"   

I'd look foward to returning to the bank in town just so I can drive by him.

:)

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    There was a Dwarf Hunter called "Bowjob",  me and my guild ran into while leveling through Strangle Thorn Vale in wow. We where always making each others lives miserable, camping corpses, teabagging etc etc you know how it goes. And the fun didn't stop there. We kept running into him and his guild all the way to the end of Outland, we always seemed to be trying to get to the same dungeon entrance at the same time. It's been many many years but I swere by Thralls sideburns if I ever find out who that cro magnon unitrad is in real life I will gut him like a fish and crap in the holes that I make! BOWWWJOOOBBBB!!!!!!!!!!! /shakes fist
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Ninja Devilsaurs in Ungoro. Sneaky bastards would be on you when you'd get cocky and pull multiple mobs. Going back and killing them with my lock was too much fun.
  • spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Originally posted by Kaneth
    Ninja Devilsaurs in Ungoro. Sneaky bastards would be on you when you'd get cocky and pull multiple mobs. Going back and killing them with my lock was too much fun.

LOL! We called them Sneaky Devilsaurs. Surprisingly quiet for such roomy creatures. :D

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by tasburath
    Fippy Darkpaw...

Lol, yes, Fippy kicked the crap out of my newbie characters back in the day.  I always failed to notice he wasn't just one of the yard trash.

In WoW it was that big mechanoid that stomped around Hellfire Peninsula.  It used to squash me effortlessly when I was levelling up there, but when I was 80 I used to return the favour every time I saw it.  (I've forgotten what it was called, as it was quite a long time ago.)

• Stainless72Stainless72 Member UncommonPosts: 16

Holly Windstalker in EQ2.

She always walked in on me and killed me.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    Fippy Darkpaw...

Lol, yes, Fippy kicked the crap out of my newbie characters back in the day.  I always failed to notice he wasn't just one of the yard trash.

In WoW it was that big mechanoid that stomped around Hellfire Peninsula.  It used to squash me effortlessly when I was levelling up there, but when I was 80 I used to return the favour every time I saw it.  (I've forgotten what it was called, as it was quite a long time ago.)

Fel Reaver.

• Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by Stainless72

Holly was another one,..originally from EQ 1.  But different starting area.

She really really really didn't like people killing animals,..hehe...

Originally posted by muffins89
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    Fippy Darkpaw...

Fel Reaver. 

Yes, thanks - that was the beastie. :)

Originally posted by Tabloid42
    Originally posted by Stainless72

Holly was another one,..originally from EQ 1.  But different starting area.

She really really really didn't like people killing animals,..hehe... 

I think she had a brother, too? They killed me more than once, the rotters.

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

In WOW the giant dinosaur in the Ongoro crater.

In UO too many silly monsters that just looted me :P

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Hogger & The Pit Lord
  • LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by obii

In WOW the giant dinosaur in the Ongoro crater.

In UO too many silly monsters that just looted me :P

Yes, that tyranasaurus looking thing in Un Goro was a pain in the arse.  I can't even remember if I could solo him at 60- might have been in BC.

• KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334
    The Guards in Rivervale in EQ1. In my very first MMORPG expierence back in the day , I had to hail them to proceed the I went to "hail" them (not realizing I had to first hit the enter key to speak) and they killed me.. and not just once, many times. I rerolled Barb and never went back there...
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    It seems like forever ago now. I was a noob playing battlegrounds in WOW. There was this "punk" Minotaur hunter in whatever that legacy gear bound to account junk is and all tweaked out with the best stuff his guild could get for him. He would go around and harass everyone he could in the ugliest fashion he could using the shout to get around the chat restrictions. I went, researched the best gear of my level, pugged or solo'ed to get it and went looking for the rematch. Found him bullying some other newb and then proceeded to beat him so badly and so often that he quit... Never saw him again. I have never been one to care about being the best at PVP.  But justice was beyond served.
  • RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Ak'abs in TSW.. Those suckers are a pain when you first meet them, but when you grow stronger you go back and cut down the population!
  • BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I'd have to agree on Son of Arugal and those rape-a-sauruses in Ungoro Crater.

• romerokromerok Member Posts: 104

Defias pillager, fun times though

"You resist. You cling to your life as if it actually matters. You will learn."