Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally WINDOWS 8.2 going back to classic desktop we know sinds win95!

2»

Comments

• sbantingsbanting Member Posts: 238
    The way I saw it, they tried to have one OS look for their console, tablets and PCs, so people could easily go from one device to another and know exactly how to use without ever picking up that device before. While this is all nice if all three worked the same, or all three platforms were new, but as a long term windows user, I remember 3.11 and the change to 95 all the way up to windows 7, I touched windows 8 about 3 times so far, and it just felt clunky, I had to do about 3 more things to get to the same place as on windows 7, for no real reason. I'm glad they are moving back to the normal desktop, ad i hope there is a speed increase from win 7, even though its fast I have heard newer tech is enabling win 8 to be even faster, whether thats true or not is to be seen. But probably like some, I'll most likely just wait for windows 9 lol.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I would not mind actually upgrading from win 7 to win 8 but there just is not enough of a reason to at this time. Win 7 functions just fine for what I need, my wife and kid are used to it and can navigate it quickly. For my household there is no justification for buying two copies of Win 8 to put on our PCs. I can live with a 15 sec boot time vs a 6 second boot time.

I think for many people this holds true. When win 7 is working great, with a familiar  and easy to navigate UI why spend the money on something just because its new.

Personally I would like to have 8 on my PC, but other than the fact that I want it there is no reason to spend money on a new OS when 7 is doing everything I need it to and more.

I can see the appeal, just not $100 worth to me personally.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by jdnewell
    I would not mind actually upgrading from win 7 to win 8 but there just is not enough of a reason to at this time. Win 7 functions just fine for what I need, my wife and kid are used to it and can navigate it quickly. For my household there is no justification for buying two copies of Win 8 to put on our PCs. I can live with a 15 sec boot time vs a 6 second boot time.I think for many people this holds true. When win 7 is working great, with a familiar  and easy to navigate UI why spend the money on something just because its new.Personally I would like to have 8 on my PC, but other than the fact that I want it there is no reason to spend money on a new OS when 7 is doing everything I need it to and more.I can see the appeal, just not $100 worth to me personally.

I haven't reached the point that the marginal benefits of upgrading from XP are worth upgrading to Win 7 yet. I suppose I'll have to skip Win 7 and go straight to Win 8. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Eyrothath Why doesn't Microsoft just make a OS that would appeal to PC gamers?
    They did, its called Win 7/64 bit.  And for the record, windows 8 is nowhere near as good, and for those who seem to think that win 8 has a faster boot time, thats only into the rt interface mode, not the desktop, and to boot that fast to desktop you would need a SSD, but here's the thing, if you use sleep mode on win 7, it boots to desktop in just 2 or 3 seconds, and thats without a SSD. Whichever way you cut it, Win 8 does not improve on Win 7 in any single way that actually matters, Windows 8 is just a mistake, its based on faulty design reasoning - integrate Xbox and PC's. The only way MS is going to sell a new OS now, that will really encourage gamers, and by definition, Win 7 users to 'upgrade' is to come out with a Win 9 that actually improves something. Win 8 is a dead end, much the same way that Windows ME was (and who remembers that without using 4 letter words!)

Win 8 is dead. MS is trying to revive a corpse

I was under the impression that while Win 8 isn't a huge leap over Win 7, it's certainly not any worse.

Maybe SteamOS will actually take off and gamers will have an OS made just for them. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Got new rig with win 8.1 works just fine. It's easy to setup in classic mode with start button and boot to desktop.  Not quite sure what all the fuss is. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by Eyrothath Why doesn't Microsoft just make a OS that would appeal to PC gamers?
    They did, its called Win 7/64 bit.  And for the record, windows 8 is nowhere near as good, and for those who seem to think that win 8 has a faster boot time, thats only into the rt interface mode, not the desktop, and to boot that fast to desktop you would need a SSD, but here's the thing, if you use sleep mode on win 7, it boots to desktop in just 2 or 3 seconds, and thats without a SSD. Whichever way you cut it, Win 8 does not improve on Win 7 in any single way that actually matters, Windows 8 is just a mistake, its based on faulty design reasoning - integrate Xbox and PC's. The only way MS is going to sell a new OS now, that will really encourage gamers, and by definition, Win 7 users to 'upgrade' is to come out with a Win 9 that actually improves something. Win 8 is a dead end, much the same way that Windows ME was (and who remembers that without using 4 letter words!)

Win 8 is dead. MS is trying to revive a corpse

I was under the impression that while Win 8 isn't a huge leap over Win 7, it's certainly not any worse.

Maybe SteamOS will actually take off and gamers will have an OS made just for them. :-)

Steam OS, will rely on developers making games for it.   ( or having 2 PCS 1 running steamOS and the other running windows to stream your games from)   I hope to see some devs start supporting linux though

Originally posted by achesoma
    Got new rig with win 8.1 works just fine. It's easy to setup in classic mode with start button and boot to desktop.  Not quite sure what all the fuss is. 

Windows 8.1 is great, and its really easy to use.   I never use the metro screen nor do i need to use any "apps" it offers.

It looks different and that must be worse is the biggest thing i see people having issues with.   Once you learn how to use it,  Getting things done and finding things is much easier.

The only real issue i have with windows 8 is i cant get my computer to sleep or wake up from sleep properly.

• MystralzMystralz Member UncommonPosts: 52

To repeat a year later windows 8 is faster.  You guys miss all the important stuff.  For anyone with any kind of knowledge about windows shortcuts from like the 90s will find it much easier to use windows 8.  Sure hitting windows key d to bring you to the desktop each day you log in is an extra half a second to complain about but really get over it.  Plus doesn't windows 8.1 have direct to desktop boot.

But that's not the problem with windows 8.  The problem is all your apps that aren't compliant that are mostly old like lineage 2.  Wont work.  And lineage 2 in particular will make your system completely freeze demanding a complete reboot.

I'm actually on windows 8 and have not upgrade to windows 8.1.  Because when you look deep into the files running you will find a whole bunch of junk that you wouldn't want.  Such as a built in vpn, skydrive.  Also something that wasn't in the windows 8 beta which is in both released copies of windows 8 now is the built in virus support which has been rated the worst with alot of false positives.  You can't even disable it.  Games affected are aion and I imagine is the problem with lineage except causes your system to freeze because it thinks the anti hack program is a virus which is kind of is but doesn't really pose much harm to your computer.  Then there's also a connection with microsoft thats open all the time which makes you a little worried about security.  These are just a few examples of major problems with windows 8 that a not even complete software savy person noticed. 

Windows 8 is mostly made for mostly average consumers to boost the economy by helping people to  find stuff to buy.  It is not really recommended for working enviroments completely.  But microsoft operating system is practically a monopoly owning practically all operating systems with 90%+.  And gaming wise it's the only operating system choice.  Steamos just went into open beta but even when it launch I think they already said it only supports a very limited amount of games and only games on the steam client.  It's something to hope for to have other options but I imagine it wont really matter much for a few years.

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Originally posted by Mystralz

To repeat a year later windows 8 is faster.  You guys miss all the important stuff.  For anyone with any kind of knowledge about windows shortcuts from like the 90s will find it much easier to use windows 8.  Sure hitting windows key d to bring you to the desktop each day you log in is an extra half a second to complain about but really get over it.  Plus doesn't windows 8.1 have direct to desktop boot.

But that's not the problem with windows 8.  The problem is all your apps that aren't compliant that are mostly old like lineage 2.  Wont work.  And lineage 2 in particular will make your system completely freeze demanding a complete reboot.

I'm actually on windows 8 and have not upgrade to windows 8.1.  Because when you look deep into the files running you will find a whole bunch of junk that you wouldn't want.  Such as a built in vpn, skydrive.  Also something that wasn't in the windows 8 beta which is in both released copies of windows 8 now is the built in virus support which has been rated the worst with alot of false positives.  You can't even disable it.  Games affected are aion and I imagine is the problem with lineage except causes your system to freeze because it thinks the anti hack program is a virus which is kind of is but doesn't really pose much harm to your computer.  Then there's also a connection with microsoft thats open all the time which makes you a little worried about security.  These are just a few examples of major problems with windows 8 that a not even complete software savy person noticed. 

Windows 8 is mostly made for mostly average consumers to boost the economy by helping people to  find stuff to buy.  It is not really recommended for working enviroments completely.  But microsoft operating system is practically a monopoly owning practically all operating systems with 90%+.  And gaming wise it's the only operating system choice.  Steamos just went into open beta but even when it launch I think they already said it only supports a very limited amount of games and only games on the steam client.  It's something to hope for to have other options but I imagine it wont really matter much for a few years.

I have windows defender turned off, with no ill side effects, Ive played Aion and lineage 2 with no issues.   I havent installed a game yet that didnt work with windows 8.   I have skydrive disabled in services now, (never used it or was forced too before disabling it).   Built in VPN?  never used it, never came across it and its never caused an issue if i havent noticed it.  Thanks for telling me though ive been disabling allow remote assistance since windows XP.   /shrug

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Originally posted by zevian
    Meh,   at this point i could care less about the start menu,  ive been using windows 8 since it came out and have adjusted to typing for things I want,   or having a folder on my desktop for games/apps.

I dont use the metro interface for anything.

I guess this will be good for all the troglodytes who cant be bothered to learn something new though.

I know it makes you feel better by acting superior and calling others "troglodytes" but in the end its a true indication how inane and insecure you really are.

It's an old saying that sticks around because of the inherent truth, If it's not broken don't fix it.

The interface was an attempt at pushing people toward the tech they wanted to market and sell period, it was unnecessary being put on PC's.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by jdnewell
    I would not mind actually upgrading from win 7 to win 8 but there just is not enough of a reason to at this time. Win 7 functions just fine for what I need, my wife and kid are used to it and can navigate it quickly. For my household there is no justification for buying two copies of Win 8 to put on our PCs. I can live with a 15 sec boot time vs a 6 second boot time.

I think for many people this holds true. When win 7 is working great, with a familiar  and easy to navigate UI why spend the money on something just because its new.

Personally I would like to have 8 on my PC, but other than the fact that I want it there is no reason to spend money on a new OS when 7 is doing everything I need it to and more.

I can see the appeal, just not $100 worth to me personally.

I haven't reached the point that the marginal benefits of upgrading from XP are worth upgrading to Win 7 yet. I suppose I'll have to skip Win 7 and go straight to Win 8. :-)

If you are buying an OS for a new build or buying a new PC then I would get Win 8 as there would be no reason really to get 7.

Buying 8 when you already have 7  is IMO not worth the money. I installed 7 when I built my PCs, before then I ran XP until I built and actually had to buy a new OS license. If I built or bought a new PC today it would have 8 on it.

Thats just my opinion.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by Beastn
    I just bought a new gaming rig and un selected Windows 8.1 and " down graded" my os to Windows 7.... best choice ever.. Windows 8 blows

windows 8 actually out performs windows 7. I'm not an advocate of the start window but I hate the start menu just as much. I prefer to use Launchy and the taskbar for everything. 

To the above poster that was saying something negative about a tablet OS being  a mistake. That's completely false as with a tablet the "metro" interface works quite well. The problem Microsoft did was making it the default interface regardless of what type of system you were using.

Most people complaining about Windows 8 just don't like "different", they can't adjust so they complain.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    fantastic news, going to upgrade too 
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I don't think a lot of people really understand what could be done with Windows 8 if you give it a chance. The same thing happened with Windows Vista. That's really a lesson that should be known, people don't adapt well to UI changes. It could definitely be expanded upon in a multi-monitor setup.

Out of anything to criticize it on, I would criticize it on 2 separate task managers and the development tasks that many don't see. In the Windows 8 UI, CoreWindow is used to create the window. In the standard UI, HWnd is used to create the window. Personally, I would prefer to program a CoreWindow instead of an HWnd.

I actually never use the start menu. I have gotten used to running everything with the Run command since it takes seconds.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Funny how many have no choice but to upgrade to win8(new system for example) suddenly win7 blows and win 8 is great.

They even lie to defend it lol.

Im glad you guys like win8 and defend it, like its your own child nice:P

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

The biggest issue with Win8 wasn't the fact they changed the UI, it was that that was the only UI you could get.

It just boggled the mind and in a highly ironic twists, the 'Start8' by Stardock that restores the Start Menu was one of the top 10 Win8 application to be used.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.