Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Tell Us More, Zenimax

2»

Comments

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

My suspicions have been they were essentially on track to deliver a SWTOR-esque experience and have since been back peddling to rebuild the game into something that could survive the current MMO environment.

Lately, it seems like any info has been them selling us on how ESO will provide an Elder Scrolls experience but in a MMO. Even the latest stuff on advancement came off as less info driven and more them pleading with us that advancement is Elder Scrolls at heart (when there is something clearly off with how classes work in the whole system).

In this case, its almost as if they started going down the class-based path and freaked when they started seeing what players expected and wanted. So they came up with some odd hybrid system.

If anything, my fears is that they're iterating on designs that they realize will not provide a sustainable game and just aren't going to give themselves the time to take those designs to the level they need to be.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Groot
    I really miss huge dungeons that you could get lost in.

Yeah me too. I always loved dungeon settings. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by Groot
    I really miss huge dungeons that you could get lost in.

Yeah me too. I always loved dungeon settings. ^^

Vanguard. best dungeons in any mmo i have played. some small that you just stumble across in the middle of nowhere. others are incredibly large and can give hours of entertainment.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I won't believe anything about this game until i see gameplay  video and lots of it. This being secret crap is nothing but bs. Suckers will buy the game without knowing anything. Look at all the Wildstar content out there. I'm NOT BUYING INTO THIS CRAP. They think we gamers are stupid is what i'm getting from all this.
  • SoulTrapOnSelfSoulTrapOnSelf Member Posts: 190
    I expect more info in January with some beta test announcement. Then more info about whatever they haven't shown, then open beta announcement, then finally know if the game will be released in Spring 2014 or pushed back due to open beta pitfalls. 
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Hariken
    I won't believe anything about this game until i see gameplay  video and lots of it. This being secret crap is nothing but bs. Suckers will buy the game without knowing anything. Look at all the Wildstar content out there. I'm NOT BUYING INTO THIS CRAP. They think we gamers are stupid is what i'm getting from all this.

So? Wildstar still looks like crap.

There Is Always Hope!

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

Yeah. I think they started off on the wrong foot, and have been retooling to survive in the current MMO world of Guild Wars 2, Wildstar and others.

Same thing happened to Blizzard's MMO attempt. They had to go back to the drawing board.

SWTOR seems to be recovering from it's launch woes, though. The change to F2P seems to have done it well. 

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    My biggest question is can I play and fight in center screan 3rd person perspective ? I do not like the first person look and totally hate the over the sholder off center look like we had in swg.
  • v_Vev_Ve Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Wildstar is ESO's only competition and from being in the Winter Beta myself i can say that i am still wildly waiting for  ESO.I have no doubt ESO will bring in more people (esp adult's) than Wildstar , Wildstars combat is good but that's its only strong point .

Witty & Wicked >:)

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Silverune

Does the lack of information and ingame gameplay videos mean they are not confident in their product?

There is quite a few info and game play videos, you just might actually try to look for some...

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    smart company. avoid the hype-train and the thots. im buying because im a ES fan. easy choice tbh.
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Aren't MMORPG.com getting enough hype from ESO? Now Bill is asking for them to send more! :D
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

They are certainly keeping tight lipped about a lot of things, especially since it is suppposed to be an early 2014 release. Does the lack of information and ingame gameplay videos mean they are not confident in their product?

I remember GW2, Warhammer, Lore of the Rings Online releasing a wealth of videos about content with abudance information for the masses before release. All The elder scrolls seem to have is a regular question and answers update on their website and not much to back up what is being said.

NDA lift perhaps? or are would they be afraid of such a move?

Honestly, it's tough to say.

The game is still very much in beta, but I do know they are trying to release it by mid 2014. I'm not sure why they are being so secretive about everything, unless they are trying to keep the hype in check until just before release.

If not, their biggest mistake with this game would be in how they are handling public information. It's scaring a lot of people away from this title, for no good reason.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Kicksave321
    Originally posted by DiTH
    I dont expect this anytime be4 summer 2014 at least.Considering the state of beta and the ammount of PR around.

I just don't understand this "state of beta" have you people never been in a beta before?  Do you people understand beta is not a free trial?  The last beta had a goal had a point did those who keep saying "state of beta" just run around and try to find things that may or may not have been done or working properly on purpose?  I have been in my fair share of betas and this one was on Par with the rest for a game that could be 6months out from when the beta was available.  

Betas are not a free trial.

Betas are not a depiction of the finished game.  In six months with today's technology a lot can be done to a video game.

Most betas have goals like reach level 17 and head to a certain area.  Not all featured are always added during betas that have specific goals this includes all graphics, areas, npcs and loot tables.

Sadly, people think it is a free trial. They think Beta = Early Marketing Push. I don't know whether they don't know better, or they do, but play the "ignorant" card in order to justify themselves playing it like a trial, and not as a hunt for bugs, etc. 

It's like people who use exploits in games that anyone would realize is just that (glitching your way through or over walls to bypass content, etc), but - again - playing the ignorant card by saying "well, if I'm able to do it, then how am I supposed to know it's not by design?" Same idea here. They play dumb to avoid personal responsibility for it, but they know exactly what the situation is. They know exactly what they're doing.

I do know that at least in many cases, people go into them with that attitude of "it's only a free trial for marketing". I've seen people, when reminded they're there to test, not "play", respond with "It's not my job to find problems with their game. That's their job. They want me to fix their game, they can pay me".  They seriously have that attitude. Why these people aren't immediately kicked out of Beta by some GM overseeing things... I don't know. Especially when those same people then take to bashing the game every chance they get.

• MachinationMachination Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    It's so painful being bound by the NDA! Just...want to talk! lol

I know, heh. The waiting . . . .

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Machination
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    It's so painful being bound by the NDA! Just...want to talk! lol

I know, heh. The waiting . . . .

Breakin my balls over here! ;)

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

Well as most know there hasnt been a huge change in the MMORPG genre in over 15 years. Many thought they had the answer and out of those more than 90% failed.  A few of note : SWTOR, AoC, DDO... there are more but the picture is clear.

Now a few of the Developing companies have some fresh ideas. MMOMagic for example with Citadel of Sorcery. However in COS where you dont have linear quests, item levels and entitlement granted playability.. it can be seen as complicated, too much information to access, and in many peoples mind they are striving for the impossible. Advanced NPC AI.

Roberts Space Industries and thier highly anticipated Space Sim Star Citizen is one of the few MMO's in Development that I know is pulling out all the stops graphically... but what about playability? Will it be for PVP players mostly or will the PVE content draw in the masses for its quality and content? its still too early to tell with Star Citizen but many are putting their hopes into Chris Roberts to revitalize a stagnant MMO pool.

I see ESO being a WoW clone with an alternate lore that has a solid backing, however if playres are thinking that ESO is going to be ground breaking and offer the masses something new and Unique I see alot of repeated disappointment in many players futures.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• Grimmjaw01Grimmjaw01 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I did get into the beta but i just quit playing cuase it was very Disapointing and to me it was not a good start at all and yea it seems like ESO is going to be a WoW clone 
  • Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by Grimmjaw01
    I did get into the beta but i just quit playing cuase it was very Disapointing and to me it was not a good start at all and yea it seems like ESO is going to be a WoW clone 

You are aware the purpose of a BETA is NOT to be used as a free trial right?  

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

All I know is come April, these forums are gonna get real ugly.

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by Foomerang

All I know is come April, these forums are gonna get real ugly.

Speak for yourself....these forums have been ugly for a long time already.  Misery loves company here. 
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Foomerang All I know is come April, these forums are gonna get real ugly.
     Speak for yourself....these forums have been ugly for a long time already.  Misery loves company here. 

haha!
  • CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by Grimmjaw01

You are aware the purpose of a BETA is NOT to be used as a free trial right?  

Well 10-15 years ago Betas were used for what they were intended.

Now, Devs use it as Marketing. Its so obvious.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• Harry_The_HoboHarry_The_Hobo Member UncommonPosts: 1

I love what they are doing with timing and how tight lipped they are.  If you think about it, they just posted a release date for the game.  At this point a lot of mainstream gamers are going to start looking into the game.  With new information yet to come, you can create the hype train with those that have been following all along (all of us here) and develop new hype with new content information being released with all of the mainstream gamers starting to read into the game up until launch now.

Slowly rolling out information will also lend itself into keeping a constant momentum up until launch as opposed to keeping your hype meter up extremely high then tapering off before launch.  It really is very intelligent marketing I think.

• SatyrosSatyros Member UncommonPosts: 156

They are certainly keeping tight lipped about a lot of things, especially since it is suppposed to be an early 2014 release. Does the lack of information and ingame gameplay videos mean they are not confident in their product?

I remember GW2, Warhammer, Lore of the Rings Online releasing a wealth of videos about content with abudance information for the masses before release. All The elder scrolls seem to have is a regular question and answers update on their website and not much to back up what is being said.

NDA lift perhaps? or are would they be afraid of such a move?

As a community, we have to learn to appreciate some mystery. Be in awe when you first enter the world. 

Take Wildstar for example.. First 15 minutes of their game  I experienced through a video. Bad move,