Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The biggest problem with mmo's is other players

They keep wanting things, like me to help them or something ridiculous.  

I am trying to play a game here, please stop interrupting me- is what I often think.  

Dam, you even try to tell a joke and they get all twatty about it; no doubt they will here. 

Comments

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Hah....Reminds me of that quote along the lines of "I love society. It's just the people I can't stand". But yeah some of the people that play MMOs certainly get on my nerves but if you really want to avoid dealing with other  people single player games exist. hell, a lot of "modern" MMOs you can play 95% of without talking to another person if you choose.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    I find myself sooo bloody distracted by chat, that I turn it off just to get back into the game.
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Couldn't agree more. And your one of them.
  • muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171

I think this is one of those topics in which the OP gets flamed a lot but has a valid point.  I am a very social gamer, I love guild chat and world chat and trade chat and you name it; I've made a lot of online friends in MMOs and spent many a night having a rollicking good time goofing off in-game with other people.

That being said, I also greatly enjoy playing solo when I am out and about, primarily when I am just simply trying to get things done.  I don't have any idea where some of these so-called "purists" and elitists get their idea that an MMO should be played in group format all of the time or that we should be dependent upon others 24/7, especially since many of us play at odd hours and are becoming more and more dependent upon auto-grouping features, which can produce some highly undesirable results at times.

This subject is indeed a lot like that quote about society that someone already mentioned here; MMOs are tons of fun for the same reasons that they can become a pain. 

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I always wondered why there wasn't an online dating/mmo hybrid where they would suggest players with similar interests for your friend list if you filled out a personality survey. My own idea is an MMO with NPC factions which correspond to different philosophies, and players can earn membership in the faction, and thus would be putting themselves into a group with other players who like the same philosophy.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by LittleBoot

I am trying to play a game here, please stop interrupting me- is what I often think.  

Dam, you even try to tell a joke and they get all twatty about it; no doubt they will here. 

1. You can turn off general chat.  If its distracting you its because you have an interest in what they are saying.
    2. If you tell a joke and someone is 'twatty' about it, how do you know they are not joking?
    3. Why are you playing MMO's if your going to generalize that every problem, including lack of content, shallow character design, no end game, terrible game play, etcetera to 'players'.  Yet one of the biggest draws to a MMO is the amount of people playing the amount of people you can play it with?
    Don't understand this type of post.  Its very shallow and it shows by the length of the post.  I guess this was a rant because you were upset about something a player said or did and you didn't agree with them so they were a 'jerk'.
  • LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by onlinenow25
    Originally posted by LittleBoot

1. You can turn off general chat.  If its distracting you its because you have an interest in what they are saying.
    2. If you tell a joke and someone is 'twatty' about it, how do you know they are not joking?
    3. Why are you playing MMO's if your going to generalize that every problem, including lack of content, shallow character design, no end game, terrible game play, etcetera to 'players'.  Yet one of the biggest draws to a MMO is the amount of people playing the amount of people you can play it with?
    Don't understand this type of post.  Its very shallow and it shows by the length of the post.  I guess this was a rant because you were upset about something a player said or did and you didn't agree with them so they were a 'jerk'.

It was a joke.  Thank you for responding.  

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by sunandshadow
    I always wondered why there wasn't an online dating/mmo hybrid where they would suggest players with similar interests for your friend list if you filled out a personality survey. My own idea is an MMO with NPC factions which correspond to different philosophies, and players can earn membership in the faction, and thus would be putting themselves into a group with other players who like the same philosophy.

SWG had something close to that. But hardly anyone used it after the first couple months. You could fill out all kinds of info about yourself and you could search for people with similar interests. It didnt really work though because you'd find someone or theyd find you, and you'd be like, "So...guess we're supposed to be friends now, heh."

Looked good on paper though.

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211

that why its called : Massive Multi player.

otherwise we should just go and play ...PS4 or Xbox1

most of the time i try to coop with other people online, but if they are to demanding, i'll just quit or ignor them. its me who play the game , not the game play me 

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

If someone asks me to "Facebook them" or chat them up on "Ventrilo" I tell them to get bent and eat my +16 sword of epicness and commence to pooping on their face.

There are others who would rather play "aka, roleplay" and enjoy in-game activities, you just have to ignore those "other kind".

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Originally posted by monochrome19

hehe <golf clap>

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by sonicbrew
    Originally posted by monochrome19

hehe

I agree, hehe. 

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Sartre did say, "Hell is other people."

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    In general, I agree.  I hate the communities in every single game I've played for many years, the people are assholes and I have nothing in common with them and their playstyle is one that is entirely incompatible with mine.  Therefore, I don't want to play with other people, with the rare exceptional examples that I may find.  It's easier to just play SP games than to try to solo MMOs, especially since most MMOs you have to deal with assholes anyhow.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    The thread title reminded of a line from Clerks when Randall says, "this job would be great if it wasn't for the fucking customers".

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by sunandshadow
    I always wondered why there wasn't an online dating/mmo hybrid where they would suggest players with similar interests for your friend list if you filled out a personality survey.

A lot of MMOs have matchmaking systems based on interests.

Some get really granular into playstyle, times, language etc.

Some go further.

There are also whole sites and web pages dedicated to dating MMO gamers.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Cephus404
    In general, I agree.  I hate the communities in every single game I've played for many years, the people are assholes and I have nothing in common with them and their playstyle is one that is entirely incompatible with mine.  Therefore, I don't want to play with other people, with the rare exceptional examples that I may find.  It's easier to just play SP games than to try to solo MMOs, especially since most MMOs you have to deal with assholes anyhow.

Cmon, admit it, you pretty much hate all humanity, it isn't just in games. image

Over the years, I've come to share this view about gamers however, I used to enjoy helping others, grouping with pugs etc, but not so much anymore. 

Too much hostility from others, too much epeen, I've pretty much restricted my game play to long time friends of similar interest and don't venture out amongst the "masses" anymore.

If I'm honest with myself, I really don't mind the fact that MMO's are largely solo experiences these days, I'd be loath to be forced to group with the folks out in the community today on a day to day basis.

They're just all just..... asshats.... best word I can come up with.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon