Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How will you feel being forced to play alone??? added poll

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Arkade99
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Arkade99
    Originally posted by ego13

In the video linked below the Dev talks about being a hero and the single player game. How when you fight the big bad boss in your personal/main story, you do it in a instances alone so you can feel like the hero of the story. In SWToR when it comes to the main story you can bring friends to share in that if you want to and I have to say that was fun. Playing FF14 when it came ot the main story you were forced to play it alone. How would you like ESO to handle the main story? Myself, I play with my wife and we did not enjoy being forced to play solo in any moment in FF14. I personally would like the option to play with a friend in any part of the game thats labeled a MMO. How can you take friends out of any part of a MMO and still call your self a MMO? But thats my 2 cents, whats yours?

Link to video!!! HERE

MMO doesn't mean something specific such as "You play the whole game as a group.".  Massively Multiplayer Online only refers to it being connected online and obviously the sheer size of that.  Yes you can play much of the game solo, duo, grouped, whatever but wait till you're playing the game to make these assumptions.  Hearing something and taking that one statement as a hard and cold fact only makes you an alarmist.  He didn't specifically say you cannot bring someone else, he just inferred that you're doing it solo.  

So there is lots of players there but that does not mean you should team with them? That the friends you make online you need to pause playing with them so you can take off to play alone even if you dont want to? I personally play MMOs to play with people. If I want to play alone I will go boot up my console. When I log into a online world, Im of the group that starts by asking friends what they are doing and how can I help or do you want to join me. I personally hope the main story can be played with friends or solo. If the story scales by how many are in your team... that would be even better. 

No one is forcing you to do the solo-only content, or to even play the game at all. If it bothers you, simply don't do it.

No thanks... if you watch that video in whole the ESO dev talks about listening to their fan base. I would rather lets them know I want an option to play with friends even on my main story. If they can add scaling to the main story for bringing friends that would be even better. 

Scaling would likely involve a lot of work. Personally, I don't care if they allow others into the main story line or not, but I disagree that all content should allow multiple players.

Cant be that hard. BioWare did it with SWToR on their first MMO. All they did was add extra mobs and gave the bosses extra HP/Damage. Hack City of Heroes added scaling missions back in 2005 when they released. This is not new tech.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

While I am not personally bothered by playing solo, I am reminded of a couple similar issues in other games (LOTRO & TSW, specifically) that eventually forced the devs to include options for duo play.

Aside from any demand from players to have a duo play option, there are also issues with the handicapped and those who are game-challenged in some way, who are basically prevented from being able to complete game content if they don't have assistance.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by azmundai

One of the main reasons I won't play this game. I don't mind mmos that have solo options, but this game seems to be doing everything it can think of to make grouping worthless.

Define worthless?  You can get the best gear through master dungeons, AvA, PvP and crafting. Solo is just one option for the game. Doesn't change grouping at all.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by azmundai

One of the main reasons I won't play this game. I don't mind mmos that have solo options, but this game seems to be doing everything it can think of to make grouping worthless.

And in walks hyperbole.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Sounds like the type of game i am truely going to enjoy, i could follow every word of that interview and agree with that...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i play and enjoy SWTOR off and on and the class and world stories is my favorite aspect of that game, i play them all solo.

so no, i don't think this will bother me as long as it is good. GW2's story content for example helped kill that game for me.

so we will see.

• Father_JackFather_Jack Member Posts: 81
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I like options and scalability. If I want to do it alone then let me. If I want to bring a partner or go in as a group then let me do that too.

This sums up my opinoion nicely

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244

I hate these your the one hero story's for me when ever im in a story and they mention your the only one that can save help or be the general hero it kicks immersion out the window.

This also sits with me as a big no no for MMO's if you create a game were all or nearly all content is achievable solo then well you failed to make a MMO

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    I'm pretty shocked this thread exists just because a game developer chose to make their game differently than the OP would have made it. SHOCKED!!
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Fine by me.. actually. It's a little closer to the kind of game I have been wanting lately. I'm really starting to not like most people in games. I want people there, just only when I need them and want them there lol. I'm completely fine with the main story being pretty much single player with the massive multi-player aspect when running around and doing quest/dunge-oni-ons. 
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    I'd rather play alone.
    Added a poll
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64
    I'm pretty shocked this thread exists just because a game developer chose to make their game differently than the OP would have made it. SHOCKED!!

So you're going to say that a singleplayer storyline in a massively multiplayer world where you're surrounded by other heroes, makes perfect sense?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Tibernicuspa
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64 I'm pretty shocked this thread exists just because a game developer chose to make their game differently than the OP would have made it. SHOCKED!!
    So you're going to say that a singleplayer storyline in a massively multiplayer world where you're surrounded by other heroes, makes perfect sense?

Asking whether or not it makes sense implies that there's only one way to make a game that has a persistent world. What makes sense is making a game that people will buy and play. If that means single player game play in a massively multiplayer world, then single player game play in a massively multiplayer it is.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

" Forced to play alone" HAHA! in an MMORPG no less.

I remember back in EQ1 you were pretty much forced to group to even play the game. Playing solo was unthinkable and near impossible.

Now, you can faceroll through entire games alone. Grouping has become a negative thing.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Darknessguy64 I'm pretty shocked this thread exists just because a game developer chose to make their game differently than the OP would have made it. SHOCKED!!

Asking whether or not it makes sense implies that there's only one way to make a game that has a persistent world. What makes sense is making a game that people will buy and play. If that means single player game play in a massively multiplayer world, then single player game play in a massively multiplayer it is.

Thats like going to the best Seafood place in town and ordering the burger. Not saying dont have content you can do solo but the option should always be there to enjoy it with friends. Thats what MMOs are all about. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

" Forced to play alone" HAHA! in an MMORPG no less.

I remember back in EQ1 you were pretty much forced to group to even play the game. Playing solo was unthinkable and near impossible.

Now, you can faceroll through entire games alone. Grouping has become a negative thing.

I have this mental image of a gamer tied to a chair in front of a computer with an evil Developer standing next to him pointing a gun towards the gamer's head saying "play this damn MMORPG solo and like it, or you've had it.  image

More seriously, you aren't forced to play the content, you have the option to play it, the fact it can only be done solo is a design consideration, no one is forcing you to do it.

I imagine if one wants they can completely skip these solo story lines if they so chose, much as I frequently skip group oriented content in most modern games today.

Turned around its the same question as asking why you have to do raid content with another person, why can't you solo it.

Because you just can't, it's not designed like that, play what you want or can and skip what is uninteresting or unpleasant to you.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Covet78Covet78 Member UncommonPosts: 149

Too many mmo's allow you to play alone. I'm tired of it. Full on group mmo would be nice for a change. It's been way to long since there was one out there. People will complain when the next mmo that requires groups to do anything comes out, but they have 100 mmo's to choose from. Let there be a group based mmo!

But yeah, no one will create one because groups are scury.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    All personal stories should be done like WoW class quest used to be. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    Once I realized that ESO is not an MMO but instead a TES game with multiplayer elements it became a lot easier for me to be excited. This is pretty much what everyone was asking for but now they're balking at it.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Thats like going to the best Seafood place in town and ordering the burger. Not saying dont have content you can do solo but the option should always be there to enjoy it with friends. Thats what MMOs are all about. 

Problem is you cant have it all

But, if they have the resources available, they should make it so that the content scales with the number of players and allow you to invite friends into your personal story like in GW2..

Scaling is allready supported by the engine and it should be a major feature of these games..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Alone is fine although scalable difficulty if you do it with more people could be fun... shrug...not a biggie for me either way.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831
    I am fine with it,  but when I played I wasn't alone. 
  • LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Not too fussed either way.  Given the option I'd rather be able to do either. 
  • nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph
    it is why I am lost interesting for ESO , I ll stick with Oblivion & Morrowind

This makes no sense, you lost interest because it makes you play alone in the solo storyline?

But your playing Oblivian and Morrowwind? Hmmmmm