Trick Dempsey - Defiance Creative Lead - AMA

2»

Comments

• TrickDempseyTrionTrickDempseyTrion Redwood City, CAMember Posts: 11
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Hi Trick, I actually briefly met you at E3 last year (I think you still had long hair), thanks for doing this AMA. 1. When can we expect new areas/zones to be added? 2. Is Warmaster the biggest Volge boss or is there even a bigger Volge that Warmaster answers to? 3. How is Defiance development out of Redwood City office different than the old San Diego office? It seems that even with a much smaller dev team, more is getting done? 4. Can you drop any hints about DLC3? Maybe one word just to keep it fun? Thanks!

Man, that long hair was hard to maintain.

A land expansion is inevitable in any MMO. I can't say when one will come. (That's not a good AMA answer, sorry.)

The Warmaster is probably the biggest Volge. Now, that does not mean it is the biggest weapon in the Volge arsenal. We saw their crazy walker-tank things in the pilot of the show. They are a sentient species, and they are definitely tool users. The Volge which come out of the Storm Divide have had much more time to prepare.

The Redwood City office is a pretty interesting place. It's a much flatter office if that makes sense. Not Valve flat, but pretty flat. Hell, Scot Hartsman, the CEO, sits in the dev cubicles just ten feet away from my own seat. It is a smaller team, but also more fluid. We have a dedicated team, but we also trade talent with Rift, Trove, and Archeage which really helps from developing tunnel vision in terms of Defiance design.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKMember Posts: 1,788

Thanks for the responses.

What's the biggest lesson you've personally learned while working on Defiance, and how do you think it will influence future projects you are involved in?

You make me like charity

Originally posted by asmkm22
    Thanks for the responses.   What's the biggest lesson you've personally learned while working on Defiance, and how do you think it will influence future projects you are involved in?

Man, that's a good question.

The biggest lesson has actually been more a time management one than a design one. It's very easy to get focused on one aspect of a project and fall down a rabbit hole. (Actually easy to compare to "chasing the rabbit" in Pacific Rim.) That can be more than a personal issue but spread to whole teams. It's really easy to stress out and lose track of the big picture. This lead to features, like the PC UI or chat, which fall by the wayside.

That said, I'm really impressed by people who just willingly reach out to help new players. I was horrified that the universe would be totally unforgiving, but I've seen an incredible society of giving in the folks I've seen playing the game. You guys are great.

Okay folks, it's been great talking to all of y'all, but I've got to get some dinner, some rest, and get back to working on Defiance. (Or some combination of all of those things.)

As always... Good hunting, my friends.

This discussion has been closed.