Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO has taught me a valuable lesson about MMO's

13»

Comments

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    Originally posted by sludgebeard

You just can NOT be in an Objective argument about MMO's. 

After ESO beta I had a friend who posted on Facebook telling his other friends that he really enjoyed the game and cant wait to get back into another beta session. Immediately he was bombarded by post from a friend of ours on how ESO is just "GW2 with Tab-Targeting", and how he hated how Non-Sandbox the game was.

And for some reason it just dawned on me, maybe because it was over social media, or the fact that I already held strong disdain for the responding poster. At that moment I realized that his argument, that was so so similar to the arguments on this very forum, was entirely subjective.

That was it, I simply observed that his opinion was based entirely on his personal feelings about a specific sub-genre of MMO's (Namely: Themeparks) and how impossible it was for my friend to argue back against him, he merely reiterated his shared joy of the game and still the replys were the same kind of subjective rebuttle Ive read here countless times.

"Your just in the Honeymoon stage, youll hate the game in a week once it releases" This was the statement that really got to me....Simply because my friend didnt share this guys exact view on MMO's he assumed that my friend was merely enjoying the game for the fact that it was new, as if his enjoyment of the game was an elaborate game of smoke and mirrors.

Again I know this is a somewhat obvious conlusion I made, but I thought maybe if I made a post about it, I might see some consensus with some of you guys on the subject.

News Flash.... Your freinds views were also SUBJECTIVE.  Pretty much all views on the quality of an MMO are, by definition, going to be subjective. Unless you start talking about something like frame rates or number of times the game crashed or number of bugs.....something actualy measurable, you're basicaly just talking about subjective opinion and personal taste.

That's actualy ok. It's like talking baseball with fans of different teams. People love to do it, but your not going to produce anything from it other then a few hours of sparring. What's really usefull is to discuss the details of how a game goes about doing certain things. Is it skill based or class based or somewhere in between? Does it do loot as random drops, use a token system, etc? That can help someone who might not share anothers exact tastes if the game has any interest or not.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Sleepyfish
    I see that please play ESO posts have spread to the main forums, this is shameless promotion.

I se that some people just can't resist bringing their ususal disdain to any ESO thread. Suggestion: find something you actually DO like...post there...prosper.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED