Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

OCZ is bankrupt, to be acquired by Toshiba

QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,772Member Uncommon

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage/display/20131202214951_Toshiba_Corporation_to_Purchase_SSD_Assets_of_OCZ_Technology.html

It's interesting that the upstart SSD controller manufacturers who managed to make a good controller quickly got bought out by larger companies.  LSI bought SandForce, Hynix bought LAMD, and now Toshiba is buying OCZ, which itself bought Indilinx.

Hopefully this will lead to a Toshiba-branded SSD based on the Indilinx Barefoot 3 controller, but with better validation than OCZ could or would do.

Comments

  • OmaliOmali MMO Business Correspondent Orchard Park, NYPosts: 1,114Member Uncommon
    I wish one of these companies would have purchased Nokia. I could use a controller so durable that you could run it over with a steamroller and have it come out unscratched. 

    Check out my monthly column on MMORPG.com.

    image

  • XAPKenXAPKen Northwest, INPosts: 4,909Member Uncommon

    For us not quite up on current hardware, SSD controller is an IC integrated into an SSD drive?

     


    Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now turned Amateur Game Developer.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  Realm Lords 2 on MMORPG.com
  • MawneeMawnee Spring Hill, FLPosts: 197Member Uncommon
    Not sad to see this. When I ran my gaming PC website I used to use OCZ in every build and recommend them to everyone up until a few years ago. They started getting slow with tech support/RMAs and using dirty rebate practices. The rebate scams were the worst. They would offer fantastic prices "with rebate" but then only honor a small fraction of the rebates submitted. When it started hurting my reputation with customers/peers/friends I dropped them from my parts list. 
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member
    Hope it was worth if for Toshiba.  I personally will have to avoid any future Toshiba-branded SSD's for fear of OCZ defects filtering through.  I'll see how things shape up after a few years, though.

    You make me like charity

  • RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAPosts: 4,172Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by ZombieKen
    For us not quite up on current hardware, SSD controller is an IC integrated into an SSD drive? 

    Yup, pretty much. It's the brains in an SSD that glues all the NAND memory together, and it implements neat things like encryption, TRIM, over-provisioning, random write allocation, error correction, and so forth.

    It's basically the only difference between a "good" SSD and a crappy SSD.

  • CleffyCleffy San Diego, CAPosts: 4,623Member Uncommon
    Its kind of weird that OCZ is filing for Bankruptcy so soon. Up until Samsung started selling SSDs, OCZ was second only to Intel and in a few ways better than Intel. They even did the cooler things like the PCI-e SSDs and the 3.5" SSDs. Personally I am not a fan of Toshiba since they have locked downloading driver updates on their devices.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAPosts: 4,172Member Uncommon

    Indicates to me they overextended to get Indilinx - they may have thought more companies would want to license the controllers than actually did.

    That, and in the last year or two a lot more companies have jumped into the SSD market, and in a big way. Many of them with some weight to throw around: Kingston, Mushkin, SanDisk, etc. The more players in the race, the tighter the margins become. When your only real competition is Intel, you got plenty of room to undercut them and still make a nice margin.

    Your right, early on it was basically just OCZ and Intel. Crucial picked up relatively early, and Samsung has been strong for a long time. Toshiba has been a player, but mainly only in OEM sales (they have been the stock Apple provider of SSDs for a long time now).

    I am glad to see them get picked up rather than just wither away - because they did release some innovative products, and they were a major force in bringing SSDs to the fore front. Toshiba also makes HDDs (they have a deal with WD's 3.5" HD business), so this could also shake up the Hybrid lineup too.

  • lugallugal Escondido, CAPosts: 636Member Uncommon
    If memory serves me correct, toshiba is a offshoot of the parent company Matsushita(sp). One of the largest tech companies in the world. Toshiba, Panansonic, and one or two other names are what we consumers see.

    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,772Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Cleffy
    Its kind of weird that OCZ is filing for Bankruptcy so soon. Up until Samsung started selling SSDs, OCZ was second only to Intel and in a few ways better than Intel. They even did the cooler things like the PCI-e SSDs and the 3.5" SSDs. Personally I am not a fan of Toshiba since they have locked downloading driver updates on their devices.

    Samsung sold SSDs before OCZ did.  The shift with Samsung was when their second SSD controller was finally good enough to be worthwhile, and at that point, Samsung decided to exclusively make their own SSDs rather than licensing their controller to others--including OCZ.

    Intel wasn't the first to sell SSDs; they were only the first to sell good SSDs.  The importance of Indilinx was as an alternative SSD controller that was worthwhile.  But that's an Indilinx thing more so than OCZ; Super-Talent, Patriot, G.Skill, and Mushkin started selling Indilinx SSDs just after OCZ did.

    While OCZ did a variety of things like PCI Express SSDs and internal RAID configurations and so forth, that was actually part of the problem.  The more products you have, the harder it is to make sure that they all work reliably with all of the SATA controllers and other hardware configurations out there.  Inadequate validation was ultimately OCZ's downfall.

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,772Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

    Indicates to me they overextended to get Indilinx - they may have thought more companies would want to license the controllers than actually did.

    That, and in the last year or two a lot more companies have jumped into the SSD market, and in a big way. Many of them with some weight to throw around: Kingston, Mushkin, SanDisk, etc. The more players in the race, the tighter the margins become. When your only real competition is Intel, you got plenty of room to undercut them and still make a nice margin.

    Your right, early on it was basically just OCZ and Intel. Crucial picked up relatively early, and Samsung has been strong for a long time. Toshiba has been a player, but mainly only in OEM sales (they have been the stock Apple provider of SSDs for a long time now).

    I am glad to see them get picked up rather than just wither away - because they did release some innovative products, and they were a major force in bringing SSDs to the fore front. Toshiba also makes HDDs (they have a deal with WD's 3.5" HD business), so this could also shake up the Hybrid lineup too.

    Toshiba barely paid more to acquire OCZ than OCZ did to acquire Indilinx.  Both of those were a small fraction of what LSI paid to acquire SandForce.

  • RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAPosts: 4,172Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Toshiba barely paid more to acquire OCZ than OCZ did to acquire Indilinx.  Both of those were a small fraction of what LSI paid to acquire SandForce.

    Which tells me they bet the farm on Indilinx (either overleveraged themselves, paid too much for Indilinx, or both). And lost the bet.

    Toshiba didn't have to pay full market value, just whatever the bankruptcy courts declared was fair for OCZ's creditors/debt obligations. And if that "fair" number happens to be just a hair over what they paid outright for Indilinx, it doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it does strongly suggest some things.

  • HestialHestial ZürichPosts: 8Member

    No more OCZ PCI SSD?

    If it became cheaper I'll buy one

Sign In or Register to comment.