Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Engine update?

LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831
Just a general question since I have been away from LOTRO for a few years. Does Turbine -WB have any stated goals to update their game engine to a newer engine? I am not trolling LOTRO I still see the landscapes look beautiful. I am just curious on the tech side. 

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Don't know what they did with the Helme's Deep expansion since I've been gone for more than 5 year so I have no recent frame of reference.

All I can say is that it supports DX11 and looks much better than any 6 1/2 year old MMO has any right to look.

The animations, character models and a few other things do look dated by today's standards but it's still a beautiful open world.

It plays well on both, my home system and laptop.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Character modeling can't keep up to eastern MMO's and games like TERA and FF14 will make it look like a grade 4 coloring book but if you get 40 people on the screen you see the benefit of the character modeling. I was looking at some Elder scrolls Online footage and it's more on par with LotRO and I know why. For the very reason just stated. Unless you have $4000 in hardware, designed specifically to play online games, you can't run most of the big titles coming out of Japan and Korea.

I don't know if LotRO will see an engine expansion to render the 3D characters like Blade & Soul, Tera, FF14 but it needs to be something they sell optional and they might even want to just look to Korea for the code. Here is Tauriel, make her happen. We know they can do it.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Every expansion so far the engine gets little updates..  newer zones look much much better then the orriginal game, and even the orriginal zones got updates..  Annimations are much much better  then they where at release..

There are no flashy outfits, huge 2 handed sowrds, everything looks realistic in this game, there is just so much that can be done with realistic outfits and weapons, its a trade off..

best thing about the game is that with each expansion the new levels gameplay just changes enough to give that part of the game a fresh feeling..  Just got to level 75+ and the mounted combat in those zones is just incredibilly fun..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)