Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Curious about the game, a few questions

I was thinking of having a go at this game, since I hear it's still pretty fun after all these years. I've read that it's basically one server for everyone to keep the population up. If I only have one account, does am I able to make characters in all three realms or only one? If I play I'd like to try them all.

Also, just out of curiosity, are any of the three realms vastly more or less popular? Are there any incredibly unpopular classes?

And finally, is race a big factor or does it all kind of even out as you level?

I appreciate any information, I don't know a whole lot about the game.

Comments

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    As far as I know, you can have characters in all three realms. There is a timer for switching between realms, however.

All three are generally popular enough, though Midgard seems, at a glance, dominant. There are unpopular classes, but that is not to say that those classes are bad. Many players just choose based upon end game rvr utility in groups and certain classes don't fulfill those specific roles as well as others. I'd suggest just playing what appeals to you, at least in the beginning.

Race is not a big factor at all. I would honestly suggest just picking one that you think looks the coolest. Race has more effect early on, but once level-based abilities and stat progression kick in, starting stats become less of an issue. Resists could be said to mean more, but that is getting a little in depth for a first go.

I haven't played on official servers in a while, so I apologize if any of this is off base. Have fun, it's a great game :)

• VathrosVathros Member Posts: 3
    I was thinking of Re subbing, if you like. I will join and show you the ropes.
  • MorfarothMorfaroth Member UncommonPosts: 22

Albion has by far the biggest zerg during US prime times.  The green side could always use some more.  Come check us out on Hibernia ;)

If you min max research races.  Otherwise your fine going by what you like the look of.  Honestly, the small the better may be most important.  The smaller you are, the harder you are to see and target with a mouse at range.  Up close they can tab through targets.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867
    Originally posted by Morfaroth

Albion has by far the biggest zerg during US prime times.  The green side could always use some more.  Come check us out on Hibernia ;)

If you min max research races.  Otherwise your fine going by what you like the look of.  Honestly, the small the better may be most important.  The smaller you are, the harder you are to see and target with a mouse at range.  Up close they can tab through targets.

Which servers are best?  I recently installed it again,  and clicked the server button to "Show All Servers"...not just the ones that are "recommended for new players".

I ended up choosing Ywain 1, (seemed like it might be a popular choice)

But is there a server I should go to rather than another?  I just messed around for 30 min before logging (Hibernia Bard), and have no problem going to a different server.

----------------

Edit: Also if some of you are starting again, let me know what server/side you choose, I will come join you guys :)

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'll probably start with Hibernia or Midgard when I give it a try. I was curious about a few of their classes, actually. I usually play pure fighters or pet classes. What do the Hero and Warrior do better than the Armsman? I see that Armsmen get some better gear like plate mail, but I wasn't sure what their counterparts in the other realms did better.

I was also curious about Midgard's pet classes. I read the Bonedancer gets multiple pets and the Spiritmaster gets a single one. What does the Spiritmaster do better than a Bonedancer? Just curious.

• MorfarothMorfaroth Member UncommonPosts: 22

I am not sure.  BUT, as far as I know this is the best place out of game to review the class differences:

http://sc.excidio.net/index.php?action=charplaner

• WhiskyGuyWhiskyGuy Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Vathros
    I was thinking of Re subbing, if you like. I will join and show you the ropes.

Vathros or anyone else thinking of subscribing: please send me a PM.  I played DAOC during its first couple of year and am looking forward to returning this weekend.  Would be to have someone to level up with.

• shredmnshredmn Member Posts: 3
    Everyone who is making a new character, I'm just starting out as well if you guys want to group up sometime. I've never played DAoC before though, but I figured since there's nothing else on the market worth playing I might as well try a classic. My in game toon's name is Trenbol and I've already gotten to level 10. Also I'm looking for a guild to join if anyone in this thread could help me out with that. Mainly looking for a social guild that focuses on RvR. Hopefully hear back from some of you later on.
  • LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648

I'm going to bump this (so many forums over the years, so many rules, don't remember if people here consider this a "necro" post or not)

I played this about 2 months after its release and stayed with the game for about 5 months.  In all honesty, it was and is one of the better ones I've played, even to this day.

How is the "newbie" population these days?  I just loaded up a new toon (Albion, Cleric) to start my adventuring again.