Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] ArcheAge: XLGAMES Address Monetization Worries

Comments

• KappadonnaKappadonna Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Few years ago when I first heard about this game I was very excited. Now? I could care less. MMORPG genre has basically been raped, pillaged, and ruined the past 6-8 years. It keeps getting worse. Every time there is a game that shines with rays of "hope" ... it falters. I have yet to see a really good MMORPG come out since 2004/5. EQ Next is the only thing that looks promising, but I'm sure that will somehow miss the mark as well, just like everything else has. ArcheAge included.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Sounds almost as complicated as the nonsense in Neverwinter and we all know how well that went over in the west.

Probably won't bother with the game if this is what Trion uses to monetize the game.

It's not complicated it at all. There is player currency, and npc currency. Npc currency is you traditional in game gold. It will be used to purchase things like profession tools. Player currency (Arcs) will be used for nearly everything. Cash shop crystals are just that for cash shop only. 

Where things could go potentially bad is the crystal to arc conversion. If the the conversion is "too good" you will get the feeling of needing to buy crystals to convert, because everyone will be doing it. If it is bad, people wont convert directly, and instead spend their crystals in the cash shop then sell those items to the player base via the market. 

In theory you will never need to spend a penny on crystals, because all cash shop items can be sold in game and purchased with arcs earned through trade and crafting.

Excuse me, good games will use two currencies, there is NO NEED for a third, it just confuses things.  If Trion does this they will deserve every last negative comment that it will draw.    It is stupid to implement such a system and we will have to hope that Trion realizes how stupid it is.

• DaemoneyesDaemoneyes Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by Scot

We have now reached the sorry point in MMO history where a subscription MMO made in Korea is released as a F2P MMO in the West. Our appetite for subscriptions is so bad that's what they decided to do. Talk about a turn around.

I understand posters concerns that a triple currency system would hide true costs to players, but it does address the gold farming. I don't see how you could farm Arc's in the same way.

Farmer can still sell their stuff, they wont sell it for gold they will sell it for Arcs.

So the only thing XL did was manipulating the system in a way which makes them profit from the farmer and not stopping the them.

Also the triple currency system ensures that there will be much more dead money on accounts, which is only a slight proftit but in the long run a big one.

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by Carcinoma

Actually i think mmorpg.com is not sincere here, i researched this topic and i am sure that this is an old interview, because Teymurazov producer of aa in Russia has just confirmed that there is no plan for dual or triple currency economic system for ru or korean release.

So there are 2 possibilites, first that xl games tries to push this economic system on trion or this is just old interview and arcs are like Dinosaurs. It is interesting read about, but they are instinct and will never come back.

3 possibilities actually, you are forgetting about the Chinese release...

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Like the dual currency system of king of kings 3 or forsaken world or a few other crap f2p game. in one word : Lame.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Daemoneyes

We have now reached the sorry point in MMO history where a subscription MMO made in Korea is released as a F2P MMO in the West. Our appetite for subscriptions is so bad that's what they decided to do. Talk about a turn around.

I understand posters concerns that a triple currency system would hide true costs to players, but it does address the gold farming. I don't see how you could farm Arc's in the same way.

Farmer can still sell their stuff, they wont sell it for gold they will sell it for Arcs.

So the only thing XL did was manipulating the system in a way which makes them profit from the farmer and not stopping the them.

Also the triple currency system ensures that there will be much more dead money on accounts, which is only a slight proftit but in the long run a big one.

It prevents the gold farmer from controlling the price of the currency. That is key. It takes the power out of the gold farmer and it makes them share their profit with the publisher. Neither of which are attractive to them.

The Gold farmers never had control of the goldprice in € to begin with, because if they would not sell it cheap as hell the players themself would start selling it.

And the Gold farmers do not care which currency they use, its the same for them no matter if you call it gold or arcs. They just farm stuff, sell it for currency and then sell the currency for € as they always did. Nothing changes for them.

The only effed is the costumer because the only ingame currence that will be used which is arcs (gold will be worthless) will be way less worth then it would be without farmer.

XL does not care about their costumer, they only care about their profit.

And i really hope they go bankrupt

• KossuthKossuth Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by mxpenguin

My biggest problem with F2P is the massive price gouging. To get an equal experience with pay to play you have to spend WAY more than the usual $15/mo. F2P always ends up being so much more expensive.

Disclaimer: I have pulled the following numbers out of my F2P violated orifice.

$5 for a bag here, $10 for a horse there, $5 for a respec here, $10 for marginally improved farming/crafting/whatever rates, $10 to avoid impossibly slow leveling rates for like 3 days?!, perhaps $100 (7 months sub fee) for in game currency that will only last a month spending frugally, $5 bank access, $5 make a guild, $10 additional character slot, $10 additional class, $10 fast travel capability, etc, etc, etc.

It's always awful. 

If every F2P game did it the same way - except its not the case.

Its not always awful.

Look at Rift, your entire argument falls apart.

You failed the moment you said Rift.

Next time try again with Path of Exile.

No POE was and is an awful D3 clone with a very low income stream because there was essentially no reason to spend money at all.

Rifts F2P version seems to work well.

Bjoern / Sir Prime

Habitual Euthanasia
    Pandemic Legion

• teruam5524teruam5524 Member UncommonPosts: 1

when  will be  out  Eu version?

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    God this is so retarded, I thought they got rid of that russian payment model. This better be old.
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

MMORPG.com: When it comes to the Trion Worlds localization of ArcheAge, what is the status regarding the business model and the types of currency and currency conversion for their localization? What options were presented for Trion Worlds' localization of the game?

Yinzi Cheng: ArcheAge’s business model in NA/EU is still under discussion. We will keep up the discussion to bring out the most stable and fair business model based on Korean and Japanese ArcheAge service experience and future ArcheAge development and localization.

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    So this game will be like age of wushu. Basicly pay to win. Arcs bought by crystals which is real money. In game gold untradeable means only certain activities or flat out buying tradeable coin with get you arcs. Was on my total play list but after wushu and seeing how this plays out im afraid archeage just went to the no thanks pile. Wait tell they start releasing skills that can only be bought in the shop. Just wait. It will happen

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• jigo86jigo86 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    one year ago i was so freaking hyped for this game but first that animal backpack and now the that cash shop. im close to "fuck this".
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Karahandras

MMORPG.com: When it comes to the Trion Worlds localization of ArcheAge, what is the status regarding the business model and the types of currency and currency conversion for their localization? What options were presented for Trion Worlds' localization of the game?

Yinzi Cheng: ArcheAge’s business model in NA/EU is still under discussion. We will keep up the discussion to bring out the most stable and fair business model based on Korean and Japanese ArcheAge service experience and future ArcheAge development and localization.

Guess that is part of the reason why it takes Trion so long.

They have yet to get Cheng to agree to implement gambling on lockboxes.

• LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Please dont use any currencies on the EU/German version. Just an easy subscrisption model with Paypal, Prepaid-Card, click&buy, Credistcard and Einzugsermächtigung and you will have a ton of new customers. Sandbox players are mature gamers who just want to play and dont want to hunt for chrystals,archs or whatever....

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

It prevents the gold farmer from controlling the price of the currency. That is key. It takes the power out of the gold farmer and it makes them share their profit with the publisher. Neither of which are attractive to them.

The Gold farmers never had control of the goldprice in € to begin with, because if they would not sell it cheap as hell the players themself would start selling it.

And the Gold farmers do not care which currency they use, its the same for them no matter if you call it gold or arcs. They just farm stuff, sell it for currency and then sell the currency for € as they always did. Nothing changes for them.

The only effed is the costumer because the only ingame currence that will be used which is arcs (gold will be worthless) will be way less worth then it would be without farmer.

I have not followed this that much to be honest. But I would assume the idea is that you can't buy that much with gold? So selling gold is not going to be so worthwhile in this game? Can a bot farm Arcs, that's the question.

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200

I have not followed this that much to be honest. But I would assume the idea is that you can't buy that much with gold? So selling gold is not going to be so worthwhile in this game? Can a bot farm Arcs, that's the question.

Gold would be untradable and bound to characters, but this wouldn't stop the bots, they would just keep grinding mobs for drops or do farming, put those products into the AH to sell for Arc's, and then sell those Arc's for RL money cheaper than the CashShop, this system would have no negative effect on them at all, they would just need to do a name change from "goldsellers" to arcsellers".

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    The only reason to set things up this way is to ensure that people are much less likely to understand just how much real cash they are spending on the game.  Now when you buy a mount, instead of thinking to yourself that you just spent 20 bucks for it, you spend 5000 arcs which equals 20 real life bucks.  Gawd,  I despise F2P!

Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Vutar
    I think the thing that always makes these models hilarious is that there are people still deceived into thinking the game is free to play. People on this site will defend to their grave the model called free to play when in reality it costs more to play than a sub game if you want the same benefits the sub game gives.

I think it's hilarious that after at least 4 years spent on this site and 600 posts later you still pretend that F2P is something other than "no sub required to logon". That is fricken hilarious.

What is it the P2P proponents always say? It's just $15/mo. That's only 50 cents a day and if you can't afford that then you should find another hobby. So why are they so cheap if it comes to spending more than that $15?

exactly.

Because game companies aren't doing a damn thing to earn that extra money when it comes to levels of content.  In fact, most games release with very little content compared to the older games when they released, yet they want even more money for them.  Most people are happy to pay more if there is added value to justify it.

Originally posted by Volgore
    Originally posted by Karahandras

Guess that is part of the reason why it takes Trion so long.

They have yet to get Cheng to agree to implement gambling on lockboxes.

The industry's most blatant and disgusting trend that takes advantage of impulsive and compulsive disorders and behaviors.

Originally posted by Kossuth
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by mxpenguin

My biggest problem with F2P is the massive price gouging. To get an equal experience with pay to play you have to spend WAY more than the usual $15/mo. F2P always ends up being so much more expensive.

Disclaimer: I have pulled the following numbers out of my F2P violated orifice.

$5 for a bag here, $10 for a horse there, $5 for a respec here, $10 for marginally improved farming/crafting/whatever rates, $10 to avoid impossibly slow leveling rates for like 3 days?!, perhaps $100 (7 months sub fee) for in game currency that will only last a month spending frugally, $5 bank access, $5 make a guild, $10 additional character slot, $10 additional class, $10 fast travel capability, etc, etc, etc.

It's always awful. 

If every F2P game did it the same way - except its not the case.

Its not always awful.

Look at Rift, your entire argument falls apart.

You failed the moment you said Rift.

Next time try again with Path of Exile.

No POE was and is an awful D3 clone with a very low income stream because there was essentially no reason to spend money at all.

Rifts F2P version seems to work well.

PoE has so little in common with D3 that you would have to call every actionrpg a D3 ripoff. 

Also its a lot better than D3.

Only thing D3 does better is substituting as Sleeping Pill.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Sephros
    So this game will be like age of wushu. Basicly pay to win. Arcs bought by crystals which is real money. In game gold untradeable means only certain activities or flat out buying tradeable coin with get you arcs. Was on my total play list but after wushu and seeing how this plays out im afraid archeage just went to the no thanks pile. Wait tell they start releasing skills that can only be bought in the shop. Just wait. It will happen

Right p2w like EVE. Your problem seems to be a player driven economy issue not a cash shop issue. Let me explain.

No, i highly doubt with this model, you will be grinding mobs and doing quest for player traded currency. You must produce or obtain, then sell something that has value to players. Thus the term player driven economy. Like I said there will be those who play the game and those who pay the game. IF AA is done like Wushu, you will NEVER need to buy gold.

Since this will not be a sub game, I can only hope that this model will work as well for a non-gold buyer as Wushu's does.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353
    I pray this is a subscription game and not free to play.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Sephros

Right p2w like EVE. Your problem seems to be a player driven economy issue not a cash shop issue. Let me explain.

No, i highly doubt with this model, you will be grinding mobs and doing quest for player traded currency. You must produce or obtain, then sell something that has value to players. Thus the term player driven economy. Like I said there will be those who play the game and those who pay the game. IF AA is done like Wushu, you will NEVER need to buy gold.

Since this will not be a sub game, I can only hope that this model will work as well for a non-gold buyer as Wushu's does.

Huh? Age of Wushu is pay to win all the way.  The amount of grinding to get things you can buy is absurd, hence basically pay to win as no one in the right mind is going to grind that much.  So that kind of model just fails big time.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

id rather deal with gold farmers then this asinine f2p payment model.

What game have you played that was infested with gold farming bots? I tell you it ruined Lineage here in the west. It was a primary factor in losing subscription numbers that eventually led to it shutting down. Even if you are willing to shell out $15/mo on a sub game do you think the rest of western gamers will do the same? I don't.

Botters can be addressed with a dedicated dev team. The cash shop, f2p payment model on the other hand is just stupid. I would rather pay 15 a mouth and have access to all of the game then have to micro manage every purchase i made. And i dont give a rats ass what the rest of western gamers do. By far the most ungrateful gaming community in the market.

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    It's a twofold issue with AA coming to NA as not only will a P2W pay model cripple it, XL seems to be having a hell of a time dealing with the botters. Some claim that Trion is the bot killing king but there are still issues in Rift and no idea how they intend to tackle the problem with the NA release. One can only hope that the time has been invested thus far isn't totally wasted by trotting out the same failed cash shop garbage and allowing the botters to control the economy.