Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will SWTOR last another year or two?

Comments

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

Bad business is never good.

If the developers/maintainers of the game can make more money elsewhere, killing the game may be a good idea.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Another thread that does little to hide the hate and anger from OP vs the game. When will you peeps learn to let go? And that biased opinions are rarely held in any account?
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

It doesn't really matter if someone is for SWTOR or against it, for shutting it down or revamping it or for adding the same stuff all over again or for adding stuff that SWG had.

Numbers will talk. At the day this title is not profitable anymore for EA, they will first go into maintenance mode, then shut it down like Warhammer the year after.

EA, history repeats itself.

And frankly, SWTOR gameplay is far below the expectations, I say this as an average gamer. I expected more and the game gets stale very fast. Class story won't save it. Adding more of the same won't save it.

• cnutempcnutemp Member UncommonPosts: 230

Sometimes I feel like people who make 'This game is dying' threads should be perma-banned.  They offer nothing and the OP fully knows that they will turn into flamefests after the first couple of posts between fanboys and grudge holders which *checks thread* it looks like this one already has.

The forum equivalent to inciting a riot.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by DocBrody

It doesn't really matter if someone is for SWTOR or against it, for shutting it down or revamping it or for adding the same stuff all over again or for adding stuff that SWG had.

Numbers will talk. At the day this title is not profitable anymore for EA, they will first go into maintenance mode, then shut it down like Warhammer the year after.

You're right it doesn't matter, and EA will put it in maintenance mode if it comes to that but they didn't decide to shut warhammer down GWS did. Disney wont care if the game just sits doing nothing for years because they don't care about mmos. GWS has it in their contracts that if you're not continuing to develop the IP you lose the licence to it.

Originally posted by DamonVile

You're right it doesn't matter, and EA will put it in maintenance mode if it comes to that but they didn't decide to shut warhammer down GWS did. Disney wont care if the game just sits doing nothing for years because they don't care about mmos. GWS has it in their contracts that if you're not continuing to develop the IP you lose the licence to it.

another fact is that SWG was shut down because of SWTOR. No big surprise that "SWG vets" will never forget and NEVER forgive.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

another fact is that SWG was shut down because of SWTOR. No big surprise that "SWG vets" will never forget and NEVER forgive.

Only the crazy ones. There are lots of us that just moved on to another game. The only game you can play your whole life...is real life.

That was a LUCAS ARTS decision, I was sure people would be more angry at them (considering they were the promotors of NGE too)

Only the crazy ones. There are lots of us that just moved on to another game. The only game you can play your whole life...is real life.

Amen!

Originally posted by muthax

That was a LUCAS ARTS decision, I was sure people would be more angry at them (considering they were the promotors of NGE too)

this "rumor" turned out to be correct

http://lorehound.com/news/rumor-bioware-employee-blames-fans-for-swtor-failure-confirms-f2p-swg-shutdown-to-remove-competition/

they raised the licence fee for SWG to kill the competitor of SWTOR

SWTOR killed SWGs right to exist, and it remains a scandal to this day

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

http://lorehound.com/news/rumor-bioware-employee-blames-fans-for-swtor-failure-confirms-f2p-swg-shutdown-to-remove-competition/

Even though it says "rumour" and the actual quotes have nonsensical parts to certain sentences such as "Starwars Galaxies was shut down due to the fact are talks with LA"  which makes no sense in the English language American or otherwise.

Even if EA managed to get LA to increase the fee , then I'm sure Sony could have coughed up a few more bucks for it. Mind you remaking EQ:N 3 times and cancelling The Agency might have cost them a fair bit. Looks very dodgy that site.

Anyway I think it's time to lock yet another thread within the SWTOR forum section here. Then another flame war in another thread will begin. Really pathetic it is.

Double exp starts tomorrow until Sunday go level your alts guys if you actually play :) Then get ready for GS on the 3rd :).

Cheers ,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

Originally posted by BadOrb

Even though it says "rumour" and the actual quotes have nonsensical parts to certain sentences such as "Starwars Galaxies was shut down due to the fact are talks with LA"  which makes no sense in the English language American or otherwise.

Even if EA managed to get LA to increase the fee , then I'm sure Sony could have coughed up a few more bucks for it. Mind you remaking EQ:N 3 times and cancelling The Agency might have cost them a fair bit. Looks very dodgy that site.

Anyway I think it's time to lock yet another thread within the SWTOR forum section here. Then another flame war in another thread will begin. Really pathetic it is.

Double exp starts tomorrow until Sunday go level your alts guys if you actually play :) Then get ready for GS on the 3rd :).

Cheers ,

BadOrb.

GS.. well I already tried Star Conflict, World of Warplanes and Moonbreakers which are identical to GS, so thanks but no thanks to another lame concept ripoff. I expected a space sim, not another "queue up for warzone" button. Just sad.

btw that "rumour" predicted F2P work and cathar species unlock for legacy for 10 bucks which all came true. This source is legit.

• MMOManiacsMMOManiacs Member UncommonPosts: 191

SWTOR is a MUCH better game than SWG was at the time of its shut down, therefore that is incorrect.

• The problem with SWTOR is that apparently it was built with a shit engine. I got accepted for beta and the lag was horrible. I had a then top of the range computer and the game stuttered and chugged. FPS was horrible. I can assume something like NWG. This was when character models were low to medium. Hmm. Character models popps up again.

They improved character models. Or so they say. Which they did not. What they did improve was the overall graphics of the game but only at a cost of beauty appearing from time to time. My guess is that the engine, again, can not handle much.

To answer your question. They released an unfinished game. They got a mediocre scene who all wanted to solo play instead of PUMP. 2 years down the line I can attest to the game being dead. Much like TSW. However TSW is quality from my standpoint. Where everyone else is, you take a guess. There are too many MMO's out there and quality is spread thin. Everyone is everywhere making companies little to no room to make money.

I am personally waiting for Blizzard to announce Titan.

Don't get me wrong. I will buy ESO and Titanfall. I will pay. And sub for 6 months each. After that I have done my share as a MMO vet community member.

What I miss  is quality and a solid game. Why I do not play World of Warcraft anymore is that in the end you actually do get tired of the same thing. It's not a lie =)

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Cheers ,

BadOrb.

GS.. well I already tried Star Conflict, World of Warplanes and Moonbreakers which are identical to GS, so thanks but no thanks to another lame concept ripoff. I expected a space sim, not another "queue up for warzone" button. Just sad.

Bloody hell , Star Conflict will be a hell of a lot more involved than GS at it's early stages. I also thought people wanted a JTL or x-wing vs Tie Fighter type of add on , but you say they have ripped others off , strange all these roundabouts which one to hop on to , hmm. I think GS looks to be quite a lot of fun for a change of pace.

EDIT - I thought you mean't Star Citizen oops my bad carry on....

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

Cheers ,

BadOrb.

Bloody hell , Star Conflict will be a hell of a lot more involved than GS at it's early stages. I also thought people wanted a JTL or x-wing vs Tie Fighter type of add on , but you say they have ripped others off , strange all these roundabouts which one to hop on to , hmm. I think GS looks to be quite a lot of fun for a change of pace.

EDIT - I thought you mean't Star Citizen oops my bad carry on....

Cheers,

BadOrb.

hehe wouldn't mind if they'd actually try tp rip off Star CITIZEN, but let's be honest here, they lack the right technology, skill and motivation to pull off something remotely close to SC for a SWTOR expansion.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Cheers ,

BadOrb.

Can't wait!!!! Also GS is going to be launched on my BDay and I took a day off :)

So excited!!!!!!!!

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• EQBallzzEQBallzz Member UncommonPosts: 229
    The real question is...people still play this game? Who knew!? I thought it died already! EA is more sinister and crafty than I realized to still have people playing at this point.
  • GilbortrundGilbortrund Member Posts: 23
    It will be around until SW VI and that's a while away.
  • MMOManiacsMMOManiacs Member UncommonPosts: 191
    [mod edit]
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by MrJurgens

Ever since I quit SWTOR back in October and came to these forums, I was happy to have been met with mostly warm welcomes. I was very happy to reveal to you all how EAware's CT is heavily biased toward the apologists, .....

You have never played actually swtor or never past lv. 1 anyway ... right?

Originally posted by daltanious

Ever since I quit SWTOR back in October and came to these forums, I was happy to have been met with mostly warm welcomes. I was very happy to reveal to you all how EAware's CT is heavily biased toward the apologists, .....

that's a refreshing new approach - everyone with critizism for SWTOR has never played SWTOR.

Going to take note of that one

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by daltanious

that's a refreshing new approach - everyone with critizism for SWTOR has never played SWTOR.

Going to take note of that one

You can tell who hasn't touched the game just by looking at their "criticisms" and also when they drop the conversation the second their, again, "criticisms" are proved wrong.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I would say if not the huge IP name that it is and their licensing deal the game would most certainly be shut down in another year but as is,i would say stays open for quite some time.It would be a VERY tough sell if they shut it down,they would lose a ton of fans that would not support them again.If i were to guess,i would say they would shut it down about one year after releasing another SW mmo.

There is good and bad to giant corps owning this IP,they have the clout and money ,problem is they are more worried about larger profit gains,so don't expect their best effort moving forward.The risk of spending a lot and hoping to improve player base is way too risky.Games in general do not improve their player base,they usually go down hill,so expect that same sort of effort from EA.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    It will last, I just wouldn't expect much in the way of meaningful updates.  Especially when it comes to the class stories.  They'll just keep pumping out cartel boxes every few months.  

You make me like charity

This discussion has been closed.