Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] EVE Online: Rubicon Certainly Feels Compelling

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Rubicon, EVE Online's 2013 Winter Expansion, was recently released and we've taken the new content for a spin. See what we thought of our time in Rubicon before leaving your own impressions in the comments.

As the first chapter in this new story, Rubicon works well at setting the scene. The concept of the Empires losing their grip and Capsuleer corporations flooding in is certainly tantalizing. And, barring a few hiccups, the new tools that CCP has provided are definitely fun to use. But it’s difficult to judge the expansion on its own, partly because of the ten year legacy that it’s built on, and partly because it takes time for changes to ripple through the MMO sandbox. While the first few steps are solid, it’s going to take a while to know if the direction we’re heading in is a good one. 

Read more of Gareth Harmer's EVE Online: Rubicon Certainly Feels Compelling.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i friken love reading about EvE. every time one of these expansions comes out have the crazy urge to re-sub. when i do, i usually play for a few hours and remember that i can't do 2/3 of the stuff because i don't have the skills (which will take only the next 6 months to train)..

..Also i don't have a guild, so pretty much all the good content is out of the question....

...Also i don't have ISK, so i can't pvp because i can't replace my ships. 

.....so i end up doing some mining(which is boring as hell)...

......and then i get bored waiting for my skills to finish....

.........and then i log in less and less, just when i need to queue more skills....

............and finally i unsub because i'm paying to queue skills.....

........................every damn time.

• wazaapwazaap Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

i friken love reading about EvE. every time one of these expansions comes out have the crazy urge to re-sub. when i do, i usually play for a few hours and remember that i can't do 2/3 of the stuff because i don't have the skills (which will take only the next 6 months to train)..

..Also i don't have a guild, so pretty much all the good content is out of the question....

.........and then i log in less and less, just when i need to queue more skills....

A whole lot of this...... Unfortunately....

• HersaintHersaint Member UncommonPosts: 366

Had the same experience when I tried it a few months ago. Funny stuff.

• LonewolfLonewolf Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Same experience, just dull dull dull
  • joojoo1975joojoo1975 Member UncommonPosts: 275

yep, Jakd pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I thought the training skills thing was a new concept(when I left everquest to come to eve many a year ago) but after doing 3 or 4 lvl 5 skill pops, only to have ccp come in and nerf that ship/skill(I was missles before cold war and Ewar before calli)

needless to say now i just can't bring myself to resub.

To Protect The Helpless From The Heartless

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Same here. I really WANT to enjoy Eve. There are so many things about it that you simply can't find anywhere else. Too bad the game just isn't that fun...
  • TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107

Unfortunately this is more or less what i also experienced, even within corps. EVE is a great game, but takes too long to have that gratification that a new expansion promises. On the other hand we have been treated with modern MMOs providing instant gratification but as quickly most abandon them equally. I am afraid that only WoW danced well and close enough to this fine line, where EVE is one side, and most MMOs on the other opposite.

I am not into making EVE more easy, that would kill it by bringing it to the instant gratification side that is, but to make it's mechanics more eye candy, and less boring, that's all i would wish.

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Skill points isn't the limiting factor, your mind set is.

For some people it is difficult to break off from concept they are familiar with - get levels to unlock the content, and adapt to different concept EVE is based on.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

Not really, if I cant fly a particular ship I cant do what I want. So allot of content is road blocked.

OP, this is what happens to me every time, I've given up now.

• piquetpiquet Member UncommonPosts: 189

My story with EVE exactly lol :-)

It's certainly not a game everyone.

• NeocasterNeocaster Member UncommonPosts: 24

I feel the same...

After seeing the new content, I was about to sub again and realized why I would stop playing after month each time...

• GMan33GMan33 Member UncommonPosts: 79

I was away 3 years but i have never stopped training lol. So now that i came back i have a nice 177 million sp character to play with. And im really enjoying it, i can see lots of changes, even visually. And lots of smaller but neat little changes that are a nice touch. Basically i just go in with the attitude, ok this is what i want to do in here, and i do it.

if i go with no purpose like most mmos because its spoon fed, then you wont last.

Even though this game doesnt cater to most people, i do have to say as a true MMO, it demolishes all others, its a true open world do what you want, run by the players game.....but its just doesnt cater to all. But it will probably outast every mmo in existence even if you dont play it

Originally posted by Mad+Dog

Not really, if I cant fly a particular ship I cant do what I want. So allot of content is road blocked. 

Erm, no.

It only means that you cannot utilize what you have, you cannot work with tools that are given to you.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Lonewolf
    Same experience, just dull dull dull

You are playing it wrong.

'nuff said.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

A lot of the new content doesn't require you to be in a big corp, or even a corp at all.

The Siphon Units are just as accessible and lucrative for the solo larceny-minded individual as they are for a corp with an axe to grind. The mobile depot and tractor unit are also solo-friendly in cost, size and transportability. Scanning and hacking ghost sites don't require any advanced training, and the new Sisters of EVE exploration ships are great for solo scanning, exploration and deep space excursions. If you're really ambitious, you can take down an Interbus Customs Office and set up one of your own on a plnet where there's a decent enough flow of goods to tax, but not so much that it'll prompt someone to declare war on you and attack your office.

The rest of the new content is also rather universally accessible - new Certificate system, ISIS, warp and rebalancing changes, rapid missile launchers and that hot new feature - atmospheric sounds from the suns!  And, yes, that last one was listed solely for the pun.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    I guess I'm one of those lucky enough to actually enjoy the game :P I've been unable to stay longer than 2 months in any other MMO since I started with EVE. When it comes to massively multiplayer games It's just unmatched in my opinion. Oh, and I love the new flavour those changes in warp speeds added to the game! Great expansion overall.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by GMan33

I was away 3 years but i have never stopped training lol. So now that i came back i have a nice 177 million sp character to play with. And im really enjoying it, i can see lots of changes, even visually. And lots of smaller but neat little changes that are a nice touch. Basically i just go in with the attitude, ok this is what i want to do in here, and i do it.

if i go with no purpose like most mmos because its spoon fed, then you wont last.

Even though this game doesnt cater to most people, i do have to say as a true MMO, it demolishes all others, its a true open world do what you want, run by the players game.....but its just doesnt cater to all. But it will probably outast every mmo in existence even if you dont play it

You paid for 3 years worth of sub just to raise skills and not play the game? (Since you can't unsub and still gain skill points, you'd have had to pay for the privilege of gaining SP)...

"Basically i just go in with the attitude, ok this is what i want to do in here, and i do it."

You paid 3 years up front for that ability. Yikes...

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Skill points isn't the limiting factor, your mind set is.

For some people it is difficult to break off from concept they are familiar with - get levels to unlock the content, and adapt to different concept EVE is based on.

• FionnFionn Member Posts: 68
    Star Citizen will replace me need to play Eve... which I don't have any desire to play EVE because their point and leveling system is idiotic.  You also have to have 3 accounts just to play the game correctly.  1 for mining,  another for combat, and another doing your daily trading and selling.  
  • Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311

To everyone who can't seem to get a foothold in EVE. Brave Newbies is a corp that started alliance called the Brave Collective. They take in people who are just hours old and will get you into pvp while providing ships and fits and skills plans to your liking! I threw an alt in there the other night and within 10 minutes of joining was in a fleet and blowing shit up.

So if you have that urge to resub but keep thinking you can't do anything, get off your ass and shoot Brave Newbies an application and go get some killmails...(read lossmails but still really fucking fun)

http://themittani.com/features/alliance-profile-brave-newbies

Originally posted by FionnStar Citizen will replace me need to play Eve...

If you find combat and skill system "idiotic" and you are illusioning yourself that "3 accounts are required just to play the game", I am very confident to say that you never had a need to play the game.

1st is your personal opinion, a preference, 2nd is utter nonsense.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

The new ship certificates are a real hoot.  Pretty much are useless for figuring out how well you can fly a ship as there is always at least one or two worthless skills included for most that has no affect how well you fly the ship.  Whoever designed the certificate system certainly does not play the game very much.

The new ships are nice, but I have far more important skills to max before fooling with Amarr skills, so I can't fly them.

Ghost sites are extremely easy ways to lose a ship, so use cheap ones.  Certainly don't use one of the new sisters ships on them unless you like throwing lots of money down the drain, even the frigate is going for 100 million and the cruiser 400.

Mining needs a serious overhaul, current design is mind numbingly boring and it is supposed to be a game isn't it.  Hard to have fun mining for any length of time.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Ok I bet 90 % of the people that are here complaining that EVE has a crazy skill system and it is impossible to enjoy the game because of it, are people that also, constantly cite EVE as one of the shining examples of an Open PvP sandbox game.

So basically what everyone here is saying is that you just need to get rid of the skill leveling component and EVE would be the perfect game?

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Eve = PvP Economics

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 356

I haven't played Eve for a couple of years because I got bored, but even I know that people above complaining about skill training just don't get it. Eve is not instant gratification game like you seem to want every game to be.

It is really annoying that other than Eve most games are just far to easy and everything is handed on a plate.

I wish I could play EVE but I burned myself out and recently when I came back I found the ship graphics was worse then when I left. For some reason it all looked more cartoonish and less realistic than when I left.