Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Meaningful PVP?

Romulan78Romulan78 Member UncommonPosts: 99

Not an attack guys but I am looking at some of the new games coming out and this caught my eye due to having a pvp server for those of us that enjoy full world pvp.

The concern I have and question is what penatly do you suffer for losing in pvp? I realize that unfortunately this is not a drop all your loot when you die like UO, darkfall etc but if there is no penalty and reward for pvp then why even do it?

Will this be another "die and wait a few seconds to get back into battle, no harm done" or will there be some form of real loss and gain making it meaningful pvp?

Comments

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by Romulan78

Not an attack guys but I am looking at some of the new games coming out and this caught my eye due to having a pvp server for those of us that enjoy full world pvp.

The concern I have and question is what penatly do you suffer for losing in pvp? I realize that unfortunately this is not a drop all your loot when you die like UO, darkfall etc but if there is no penalty and reward for pvp then why even do it?

Will this be another "die and wait a few seconds to get back into battle, no harm done" or will there be some form of real loss and gain making it meaningful pvp?

This is another one of those "too vague" posts, you gave an example of what it wont be ( drop all your loot ), but you didn't give an example of the types of "meaningfull losses and gains" that you would be happy about. Just tossing out the word meaningful and expecting everyone to know exactly what you want from that, is not realistic.

You specifically pointed to open world Pvp, in the open world when you die, there is gear deterioration so you will need to repair, and alternatively you can rez on the spot once every 30min, which will cost you a gold fee and a short rez sickness.

There are no open world pvp objectives at launch, and there are no "rewards", although they have yet to say if there will be something like "honor points" in Wow. Now for battlegrounds, and warplots, I imagine it will be the standard rez at graveyard and run back to battle, so I dont believe there will be big penalties for those, and the rewards will be standard pvp currency.

• itsTortitsTort Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Not too sure what you mean by 'meaningful pvp'. I'm sure it will be like every other MMO that has PvP though. The meaning for PvP will likely be to let the player have fun, while they are not doing PvE.
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728

OMG there will be an open world pvp server? suddenly I am once again interested :)  

I wonder how will a class like an explorer function in a pvp server? 

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• Romulan78Romulan78 Member UncommonPosts: 99

Just to clarify what is meant by meaninful pvp:

Consequences for winning or losing, you lose you feel it, similar to eve where you lose your ship, or UO where you get your body looted and lose items in your possesion, I cant stand games where you lose and you are back in the battle with no lose whatsover.

• EinsamWulfEinsamWulf Member Posts: 69
    I can't say for sure but I am unaware of any heavy consequences to the player from death. Perhaps suffering a defeat in Warplot PvP could be costly due to loosing bosses captured from end game raids and buildings that had to be paid for. I have no idea of this is true so I'm just speculating.

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us
    EinsamWulf- Legionnaire of Terminus
  • SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by rensta

OMG there will be an open world pvp server? suddenly I am once again interested :)  

I wonder how will a class like an explorer function in a pvp server? 

Explorer isn't a Class, it's a Path that can be part of any Class.

Paths are Play Styles you choose and you gain rewards/specific quests/items for them.

Here's a link that better explains it:

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/paths/

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Based on my open world pvp play at PAX it is pretty much wait for 15 seconds and restart at the town. 

I can't see any type of real penalty where you can be killing a monster and then all of the sudden you get jumped by 3 players (no choice, no way to escape, no way to win situation). What you want is just not main stream and in most cases people will get pissed off. 

WildStar is really aiming at a main stream MMO gamer - if you want something exquisite like full loot on death, permadeath, heavy loss penelity this is not it. That said PvP in this is REALLY REALY fun, fights last a decent amount of time. Some open world 1 v 1 PvP fights took 2 - 4 minutes to finish yet they feel very fast paced and active.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

Consequences for winning or losing, you lose you feel it, similar to eve where you lose your ship, or UO where you get your body looted and lose items in your possesion, I cant stand games where you lose and you are back in the battle with no lose whatsover.

By this definition, all PVP is meaningful, at least to me.  You always suffer some sort of loss, whether it is some sort of draconian rez penalty or something as minor as being pissed off because you were killed and you know some smug jerk is smiling about it and you have to run all the way back to your corpse.  If you think that PVP has to have a more harsh penalty to be truly meaningful, then you might be interested in something like Eve Online, where you can suffer some excruciating losses through PVP.  Some of the stories I have read have discouraged me from playing Eve, simply because of the potential severity of the loss.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• wangkomwangkom Member Posts: 119
    There is no such thing as meaningful pvp, pvp is stupid, its for people who wants to gank up on someone, then kill him and of course then its time to shit talk a bunch. this is how pvp is now adays.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

The only game with meaningful PvP is EvE Online.

It has ruined my enjoyment of  PVP in every other game I've tried.

..Cake..

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624
    I hate this phrase "meaningful pvp". Nothing you do in a game matters.
    All you end up with is more grind as punishment and less actual pvp. Just more time wasted with something you didn't want to do in the first place.

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204

What I hate is when people whine about Pvp but then they go ahead and roll on a Pvp server, your own fault, thats what the server was designed for, if you are looking for "safe" Pvp, then shut your face and go to a PvE server and do instanced Pvp.

Obviously there are games where a more harsh death penalty works, and all players know this going into the game, and yet they still choose to participate, even with the knowledge they may lose items or w/e upon death. I'm not sure how this would work in a big MMO, as I have not heard of one that has harsh penalties, but in the end the result comes out the same in either game, so it would be interesting to test out on a Pvp server.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

It is more likely this title will go the WOW route because at its heart there's little indication they are trying to do things much differently than a standard theme park MMO.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BuddyDudeBuddyDude Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Originally posted by wangkom
    There is no such thing as meaningful pvp, pvp is stupid, its for people who wants to gank up on someone, then kill him and of course then its time to shit talk a bunch. this is how pvp is now adays.

I agree, things used to be different but now it's all about teabagging and spawn camping.  MMO pvp is all about epeen and bullying. 

Thanks all for the replies.

Ya, not really interested in another themepark low consequence to pvp type game, heading back to Eve till a game comes out that is not a WOW clone.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    They need real meaningful PvP. A couple of guys show up at your house and beat the hell out of you with baseball bats, after the third time they destroy your computer, ten times they just put two in the back of your head. That's right, PvP should be meaningful, I mean if you are going to go hardcore, go full hardcore.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Originally posted by sgel

Me too. I never tried eve, but the pvp in DF is as harsh as in eve so you can count me in. I can't go back playing mmo's with no meaningful pvp.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Thanks all for the replies.

Ya, not really interested in another themepark low consequence to pvp type game, heading back to Eve till a game comes out that is not a WOW clone.

OP, playing games in general is not meaningful. There are no consequences which translate into real life (unless you count losing job or friends/family because of unhealthy gaming habits). So why do it?

FPS games such as Battlefield also don't have "meaningful PVP" since there are no consequences to losing, but they are still fun, have progression and millions of people play them.

Originally posted by Realbigdeal

Me too. I never tried eve, but the pvp in DF is as harsh as in eve so you can count me in. I can't go back playing mmo's with no meaningful pvp.

Ya agreed. Alot of the kiddies in here never experienced UO felucia where you died and lost everything in your bag and had to travel to you're body to try and retrieve some of you're posessions. 

Unfortunately games like WOW and GW2 have turned pvp fights into a joke. You die and you just rez up and get back in the battle with barely any consequence.

I understand that a lot of people dont like to lose, its a win win generation and even the losers get a medal nowdays but I wish some of these games would make servers not only for the carebear crowd but also for those of us not afraid of loss.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

My opinion: Pvp isn't meaningful unless the game is 100% pvp driven. Wildstar is most certainly pve driven.

That said pvp can be a fun side portion to the game as long as they don't tack gear grind on it. I haven't heard enough to confirm this though. I simply cannot see pvp being anything more than most themepark games offer.

You stay sassy!

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by Realbigdeal

Ya agreed. Alot of the kiddies in here never experienced UO felucia where you died and lost everything in your bag and had to travel to you're body to try and retrieve some of you're posessions. 

Unfortunately games like WOW and GW2 have turned pvp fights into a joke. You die and you just rez up and get back in the battle with barely any consequence.

I understand that a lot of people dont like to lose, its a win win generation and even the losers get a medal nowdays but I wish some of these games would make servers not only for the carebear crowd but also for those of us not afraid of loss.

It broke my heart when I read that Raph Koster felt the next step for UO (instead of Trammel) would have been actual player cities with sieging etc. Oh my goodness what might have been.....

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by DeniZg

OP, playing games in general is not meaningful. There are no consequences which translate into real life (unless you count losing job or friends/family because of unhealthy gaming habits). So why do it?

FPS games such as Battlefield also don't have "meaningful PVP" since there are no consequences to losing, but they are still fun, have progression and millions of people play them.

If you lose your ship in EVE you will have to spend time and money to replace it. That is a consequence which is real. Meaningful PVP is like gambling (except less luck based) . It's just a game but losing can still affect your life a lot if you win or lose badly. Themepark PVP is like playing poker for pennies. It can still be fun I guess but much less so because of the lack of risk/reward.

Originally posted by iridescence
    Originally posted by DeniZg

If you lose your ship in EVE you will have to spend time and money to replace it. That is a consequence which is real. Meaningful PVP is like gambling (except less luck based) . It's just a game but losing can still affect your life a lot if you win or lose badly. Themepark PVP is like playing poker for pennies. It can still be fun I guess but much less so because of the lack of risk/reward.

DUDE exactly!!! well said! Im so scared to lose my Nemesis currently I have been very careful. Nice to make decisions based on the knowledge that being careless and stupid can really hurt you in the game.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Because of the fun and challenge of facing a HUMAN opponent instead of an NPC.   That's why people PvPed in the past, and that's why most do it now days.

Doing PvP just to have an artificial punishment inflicted onto your enemy not doing it for the right reasons, it's doing it to be a narcissistic jerk.   Doing PvP to win, to try to be a better player than them, and to obtain a certain obtainable goal...that is true PvP.

• Ralphie2449Ralphie2449 Member UncommonPosts: 572

I think punishment exists in this game, and that is why guilds will again be useful and have power and influence.

Because now if you lose at pvp you also lose the raid boss, if someone else takes your raidboss they have a better warplot and they are the top.

The competition between open world raid boss capturing is really going to spice up open world pvp just like in the great days of lineage 2 raid fights and castle fights